Kicker Blair Walsh signed (Yes that Blair Walsh)

Seymour

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":agr0pxr8 said:
IrishNW":agr0pxr8 said:
This guys got some of the longest range. If he can get over his mental hurdle than it could be a steal.

Mental hurdle? His career has been in a downward spiral after his first year. This is a cheap safety net if we cant draft a replacement.

Likely don't even need to draft. Only the best of the best get drafted in middle rounds. Most kickers come in as undrafted free agents. Hauschka was an undrafted free agent as well.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
bigskydoc":9t8xvia9 said:
RolandDeschain":9t8xvia9 said:
Winning the Super Bowl on a last-second field goal by Blair Walsh would be funny as hell. Piss off the Vikings fans something fierce. :lol:

Especially if we beat Minny, at USB stadium, on a last second FG, en route to that LII win.
The thought makes me smile. :179417:

rcaido

Reaction score
Maybe Walsh can just play when we play against the Cardinals. Other then that, Haushka has been pretty much money all year.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hey, the guy wins games for the Hawks, what do you want?

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3m72rzd7 said:
Hey, the guy wins games for the Hawks, what do you want?

Ain't that the truth!

I'm not certain Walsh will be our official kicker come opening day but if he does earn it, it'll be a new interesting era.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
rcaido":2npygjfo said:
Maybe Walsh can just play when we play against the Cardinals. Other then that, Haushka has been pretty much money all year.

Hauschka led the NFL in missed extra points with 7. That's just not getting it done anymore. And the missed chip shot at Arizona proved quite costly. He's not the same and maybe we can do better.

Time for a healthy competition and who knows, maybe an UDFA somewhere will foster in a new era or Walsh gets back on track.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3ojre6jf said:
bigskydoc":3ojre6jf said:
RolandDeschain":3ojre6jf said:
Winning the Super Bowl on a last-second field goal by Blair Walsh would be funny as hell. Piss off the Vikings fans something fierce. :lol:

Especially if we beat Minny, at USB stadium, on a last second FG, en route to that LII win.
The thought makes me smile. :179417:

Don't forget the Super Bowl is in Minnesota too.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk said:
Any good college kickers that could come and compete? I don't doubt Walsh's ability but if he is gone mentally I don't think you can fix that.[/quote

Well a chance to come back with a playoff contender could make a difference mentally I suppose

Seanhawk

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":1iidry3k said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1iidry3k said:
Any good college kickers that could come and compete? I don't doubt Walsh's ability but if he is gone mentally I don't think you can fix that.[/quote

Well a chance to come back with a playoff contender could make a difference mentally I suppose

He was with Minnesota last year too and they were a playoff contender.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
"One of the most famous field-goal attempts in Seattle football history was not made by a Seahawk player. In fact, it was not even made at all."

I think this move was mostly about the salary cap, Walsh will come cheaper than Hauschka, and a change in scenery might work for both of them.

Interesting summary article below --

http://www.armchairallamericans.com/sea ... h-project/

Seymour

Reaction score
Tusc2000":2t3i1if9 said:
"One of the most famous field-goal attempts in Seattle football history was not made by a Seahawk player. In fact, it was not even made at all."

I think this move was mostly about the salary cap, Walsh will come cheaper than Hauschka, and a change in scenery might work for both of them.

Interesting summary article below --

http://www.armchairallamericans.com/sea ... h-project/

Well that wasn't such a bad read, but good god could they at least get our name right and know how long we've been in the league before writing the article??

In the Seahaeks’ 35 year history they’ve only had seven placekickers, and none have achieved a higher field goal percentage than Stephen Hauschka. In 2015, he started the season by connecting on all of his first 16 field goals attempts.

idahohawk

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":q376iba0 said:
Im guessing as competition to Hauschka but still :|.

Hauschka hasn't signed and Bob Condotta thinks this means he isn't coming back so we may have our new kicker...

At least Walsh has helped us win in the play offs :sarcasm_off:

This is the very least of our worries.

1. OL
2. Injuries (Lockett, Earl, Prosise)
3. Red Zone
4. OL

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
idahohawk":2o0ad02d said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2o0ad02d said:
Im guessing as competition to Hauschka but still :|.

Hauschka hasn't signed and Bob Condotta thinks this means he isn't coming back so we may have our new kicker...

At least Walsh has helped us win in the play offs :sarcasm_off:

This is the very least of our worries.

1. OL
2. Injuries (Lockett, Earl, Prosise)
3. Red Zone
4. OL

I would replace injuries with DB. Injuries will sort themselves out by season beginning. Getting better on other side of Sherman is very important.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
rcaido":2419ba2d said:

2016 was by far Haushka's worst year, add in 4M salary and this wasn't all that big of a surprise.

Too many missed extra points, continued horrible kicking at the home stadium of our biggest division rival and his inability to stop kicking the ball so damn low and stop the 4-5 blocks per year = Hello Blair.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":10fn4rb1 said:
rcaido":10fn4rb1 said:

2016 was by far Haushka's worst year, add in 4M salary and this wasn't all that big of a surprise.

Too many missed extra points, continued horrible kicking at the home stadium of our biggest division rival and his inability to stop kicking the ball so damn low and stop the 4-5 blocks per year = Hello Blair.

It wasn't his worst. He hit 89% of his field goals 3rd best of his career.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3vn75qat said:
Sgt. Largent":3vn75qat said:
rcaido":3vn75qat said:

It wasn't his worst. He hit 89% of his field goals 3rd best of his career.

Extra points it was, 82.9%, only Minnesota had a worst percentage.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... usSt00.htm

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Walsh at one point was a promising player, who had a huge leg and was strong kicking in the weather. So was Hauschka but both got the yips. Hauschka just became too expensive and will need to adjust his contractual expectations to stay. Hauschka will also need to beat out Walsh to stay and will be unlikely to get a large contractual guarantee if he does stay. He will also need to reverse a few bad habits that have resulted in kicks being blocked. I'm betting he's done here and will need to face competition to stick anywhere now.

He was very good until this season, and sure made lots of big kicks for the team, but he had developed a thing against AZ and certainly cost the team playoff position and seeding with his ill timed misses.

If he's not re-upped I thank him for his service and wish him luck going forward.

Hyak

Reaction score
Per Stephen Cohen , It’s a one-year deal with a $950,000 base salary for new #Seahawks kicker Blair Walsh with a $ 150K roster bonus if he makes the week 1 53-man roster.

Slight correction on the terms from Sheil Kapadia of ESPN.

Blair Walsh's contract with the Seahawks is one year, $1.1 million with no money guaranteed. It carries a base salary of $800,000, and an additional $300,000 is available in bonuses, depending on whether he makes the team and stays on the 53-man roster. Walsh will almost certainly be competing for the kicking job next summer.

Hauschka's 2016 cap number was $ 3,525,000.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JTB":2oqc0em3 said:
Per Stephen Cohen , It’s a one-year deal with a $950,000 base salary for new #Seahawks kicker Blair Walsh with a $ 150K roster bonus if he makes the week 1 53-man roster. Hauschka's 2016 cap number was $ 3,525,000.

Good deal for us. Bring in or draft another kicker and make Walsh earn it in camp.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":19bwcgr2 said:
JTB":19bwcgr2 said:
Per Stephen Cohen , It’s a one-year deal with a $950,000 base salary for new #Seahawks kicker Blair Walsh with a $ 150K roster bonus if he makes the week 1 53-man roster. Hauschka's 2016 cap number was $ 3,525,000.

Good deal for us. Bring in or draft another kicker and make Walsh earn it in camp.
Make him kick 50 extra points in a row with you, Seymour, Roland and seahawkfreak providing the pressure up the middle. That would be a good test and it would give the aforementioned something positive to pass their time.

Latest posts