Kicker Blair Walsh signed (Yes that Blair Walsh)

HawksSoc

Reaction score
Uncle Si":260zsg7n said:
Sports Hernia":260zsg7n said:
Not sure I like this move. :(

Walsh was historic for the Vikings for a couple years.. then he started to fade, then the wheels came all the way.

2nd chance ever work out for kickers?

Wasn't Mason Crosby getting dogs abuse a couple years back even though he's pretty good now?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
hmmm....wheres the logic here...the carey williams of kickers...schneider might as well bring in scott norwood too.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
I'm all for it, save money. On a lateral move with maybe an upside. Remember hausch was bad in Baltimore before he got here. Maybe a change will be good for both guys. If hausch made this kick in ARZ and w get to play at home against ATL I don't think we let him go. But he missed a few clutch kicks last year.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Kickers are strange....You could have the best kicker in the league one year and need a complete change of scenery the next. Look at Chris Boswell..He couldn't get a job to start the season in 2015, then turned into one of the most clutch kickers of 2016

Gostkowski was known for being a top 3 kicker but last year missed many XPs like Hausch and wasn't relied upon for anything over 45 yards.

Walsh is a good signing in that he has the pedigree to be excellent. Has a long leg... and if he doesn't work out.. we'll just try another one. Hausch didn't give us that option because of how much he was signed for.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Also, Hausch made from 32, 40, and 47 in the NFC Championship game against the 49ers in the cold, wet, wind...

We would not have a SB ring were it not for him...and he was clutch that entire season...so thank you Steven!

ringless

Reaction score
AgentDib":qwut5vx9 said:
pcbball12":qwut5vx9 said:
AgentDib":qwut5vx9 said:
This is an obvious Seahawks move so it's funny people are stirred up by it. If we want to keep people they are extended, otherwise we let the UFAs walk in return for compensatory picks and try to sign people who don't count against the compensatory pick formula. This could lead to a 5th round pick next year if Hauschka gets a similar salary to his previous one.

Bringing in a cheap veteran like Walsh to compete in training camp for the job against whatever UDFA kicker we bring in is perfectly reasonable. With thousands of potential kickers out there and 32 NFL jobs you don't overpay for them unless your guy is way better than the replacement options and Hauschka simply wasn't last season.
I am all for moving on from Hauschka, but I would be pretty surprised if he netted nearly enough in free agency to get us a comp pick.
The threshold was only $2m in 2016. Obviously 2017 may be different, but I think more teams are stratifying their payrolls as they see the successful teams doing so.

Not to mention there are many other factors... The fact Seattle signed Walsh an FA, to replace Haush lost through FA negates the comp pick if I understand correctly. It is 1:1

In addition, it depends on playing time, post season play, and any awards like Pro Bowl. So I would think Seattle is unlikely to get a comp pick, let alone a 5th.

ringless

Reaction score
ringless":2kmzf580 said:
AgentDib":2kmzf580 said:
pcbball12":2kmzf580 said:
AgentDib":2kmzf580 said:
This is an obvious Seahawks move so it's funny people are stirred up by it. If we want to keep people they are extended, otherwise we let the UFAs walk in return for compensatory picks and try to sign people who don't count against the compensatory pick formula. This could lead to a 5th round pick next year if Hauschka gets a similar salary to his previous one.

Bringing in a cheap veteran like Walsh to compete in training camp for the job against whatever UDFA kicker we bring in is perfectly reasonable. With thousands of potential kickers out there and 32 NFL jobs you don't overpay for them unless your guy is way better than the replacement options and Hauschka simply wasn't last season.
I am all for moving on from Hauschka, but I would be pretty surprised if he netted nearly enough in free agency to get us a comp pick.
The threshold was only $2m in 2016. Obviously 2017 may be different, but I think more teams are stratifying their payrolls as they see the successful teams doing so.

Not to mention there are many other factors... The fact Seattle signed Walsh an FA, to replace Haush lost through FA negates the comp pick if I understand correctly. It is 1:1

In addition, it depends on playing time, post season play, and any awards like Pro Bowl. So I would think Seattle is unlikely to get a comp pick, let alone a 5th.

That would be like the Cardinals letting Calais Campbell go, and then signing Kawann Short, and then wanting a 3rd round comp pick because Campbell went off to another team. If that was the case I'd take that deal in a heartbeat.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
ringless":2cqzbkl5 said:
AgentDib":2cqzbkl5 said:
pcbball12":2cqzbkl5 said:
AgentDib":2cqzbkl5 said:

Walsh was cut. He does not factor into comp picks.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is stupid.

Not as dumb as releasing an effective long snapper so we could sign a guy that sucks because he might be able to play special teams better but pretty close.

Whatever. Let's rearrange the deck chairs.

I am sure bringing a guy in that has a problem kicking in a pressure situation will never come back to haunt us.

Mike

Josea16

Reaction score
Whatever, both suck so bring in a rookie and hope he kicks both their asses. If not keep the cheaper loser and deal with the fact the longsnapper isn't responsible for Blair totally losing his confidence or Houshka's inability to make a 35 yard extra point or kick worth a damn in Glendale AZ. Gresham was there for Houshka's issues in Glendale since it started, so I say bullshit about some overpriced scrub whose whole job is hiking a football. How is that an actual job in the first place? At least punting and field goal kicking requires actual talent.

Personally I hope Blair gets back to what he was because his name is far easier to type. :D

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Winning the Super Bowl on a last-second field goal by Blair Walsh would be funny as hell. Piss off the Vikings fans something fierce. :lol:

Josea16

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":g43fb7wo said:
Winning the Super Bowl on a last-second field goal by Blair Walsh would be funny as hell. Piss off the Vikings fans something fierce. :lol:
On so many levels. Four Superbowl each...2-2 versus 0-4? Yeah the hate is sweet. I want the Seahawks to be just as hated as the Patriots and us winning next year would definitely be a solid start.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":cjax2fhc said:
hmmm....wheres the logic here...the carey williams of kickers...schneider might as well bring in scott norwood too.

56 year old Norm Johnson is still available.

59 year old Gary Anderson? Interesting trivia about Anderson-he played for Chuck Noll, teammates with Bradshaw, Swann, Stalworth, etc and at 45 played for Jeff Fisher and was also teammates with Randy Moss in Minn. Ultra long career.

Josea16

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2jp14uvn said:
Cyrus12":2jp14uvn said:

56 year old Norm Johnson is still available.

59 year old Gary Anderson? Interesting trivia about Anderson-he played for Chuck Noll, teammates with Bradshaw, Swann, Stalworth, etc and at 45 played for Jeff Fisher and was also teammates with Randy Moss in Minn. Ultra long career.
They wouldn't be any worse then the losers we already have.

IrishNW

Reaction score
This guys got some of the longest range. If he can get over his mental hurdle than it could be a steal.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3kf8xeqt said:
Honestly I dont care even a little bit who our kicker is. He's going to make most of them and miss a few of them.

And the few he misses, .NET is just going to blame the long snapper. It's win-win for Walsh.

Latest posts