Blair Walsh : "I'm still capable of good things"

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Maybe Ryan should point out some busty girl in the stands 10 yards to the right of the goalpost and tell Blair to just aim at those bazookas.

zchurch74

Reaction score
I was never a fan of signing Walsh. I think we all had a feeling this would happen in at least one game. Thank goodness it wasn't a play-off game. I am all for bringing in competition after Thursday's game but who the hell are we bringing in to compete and are we going to have any confidence in who ever that may be.

Seymour

Reaction score
Pete is going to double down on this one.

"No new kickers coming in to look at".....for now at least.

Short week though, so tough to pull off even if they had to. I have to believe that John has a short list of candidates.

Boycie

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1i9kxr5e said:
They were, every damn one of them :pukeface:

He's coming over the top and yanking everything left.

That's what happens when you have an out to inside swing....Oh wait, we're talking kicking here right?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":34ld92sj said:
As bad as he was, we were up 14-10 with 30 seconds left with a ton of money invested on defense.

That's not on Walsh.
Okay, yes our defense whiffed, you'll get no argument on that. That being said, that still does not excuse Walsh missing three field goals.Two of them being easy chip shots. This has been a well documented problem with Walsh going back to his days as a Viking. He cost the Vikings several games, including the playoff game against us in 2015. Do we really want a kicker who is unable to perform his one job, and has a recent history of performing at a sub par record? When I say recent history, I'm not talking about this game. I'm talking about two years of crumbling under pressure, two years of missing gimmie shots.

As a kicker, you cannot be as streaky as he has been the last few years and expect to keep your job. He needs to do one thing, and one thing only. He has shown himself to be a liability at his one job. We need a reliable kicker seeing as our offense seems to have allergic reactions to the red zone. If Walsh hits even one of those kicks we at least go to overtime. Most kickers hit at least two of those kicks. He is a liability for us, a liability that we cannot afford given how often we lean on our kicker.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
It seems like whenever a kicker is missing it's usually a mental issue. Yet we want to bring in competition to make them feel more uneasy, and boo the crap out of them when they miss. I'm sure that helps them feel even more confident in their next kick.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It is funny when fans talk about the Seahawks and motivation, as if Walsh missed any of those kicks because he didn't do enough practice kicks or didn't really try to make them. Maybe it's just easier to think of it as an effort thing where everything will be fine if he starts trying or we get a player who tries.

The short week affords us an excuse to see how Walsh performs in a follow up game, and then if needed we'll have a week and a half to find a kicker for the next game. I think Walsh needs to be perfect on everything below 50 on Thursday or we'll be testing out possible replacements as soon as Saturday morning.

chris98251

Reaction score
As much of an ass as Josh Brown is he would spend hours on the field kicking on different days with different weather conditions to figure out the wind and how a ball carries, every place has it's issues but if you can do your homework like a pitcher on hitters you know how to set up in certain conditions. Hell some wear different types of shoes for different temperatures.

mikeak

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2fnrh2vi said:
Was every kick wide left? Would that indicate more of a technical than mental flaw?

Weather should not be ignored. Not enough of an excuse but most definitely played a part. Heard the wind was howling straight at it for the 3rd kick

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Gio":rwvnyfc1 said:
"I didn't help my team today, that's for sure," Walsh said, via ESPN.com. "The thing is, though, is that this is the first time this year where I haven't really come through, and I've got to remember that. As much as it sucks, and as much as I want to be there for my teammates and help us win, I've got to remember that I'm capable of doing good things here."

"Those kicks were all me," he said.

I dunno about you guys ... but for me personally, when I hear Blair Walsh here, this is what I hear in my head ...

StuartSmalley

Walsh: This wasn't one of my better games. But that's ... OK. Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gonnit -- Seahawk fans still like me!"

Personally, I was against Walsh's signing from the very start. It's kind of like a closer in baseball that once he blows a save in a high pressure, clutch situation (a really big game -- say, like the playoff game against us at the CLINK when he was a member of the Vikings and missed that 20 yard chip FG that blew the game) ... they're never really the same again. They're kind of mentally broken or vulnerable after that point. I feel like NFL kickers are just like that. When the pressure is really on and you REALLY need them to make a kick ... if they've missed big ones in clutch situations in the past before ... I just feel like they're much more susceptible to miss them again in the future. I know I should ideally have more faith in this guy than that, but to be honest, I just don't. If I were the one making the decisions, I'd be bringing in kickers on try-outs. That's just me.

xStickybudz

Reaction score
This dude misses 1 in Arizona and he may as well pack his bags. I’m over having a pity party for a kicker with a tendency to miss when it counts

Jerhawk

Reaction score
If he ever makes a game winning kick for our team, it'll make for a great redemption story.

And this team is built on redemption

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1euvf3zl said:
If he ever makes a game winning kick for our team, it'll make for a great redemption story.

I was really hoping the Redskins game would have come down to a game winning kick for that very reason. it would have been an easy way to answer moving forward. Similar to Kearse in the NFCCG. He bought himself some more time with that game winning TD catch.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1j6a2ejs said:
Hasselbeck":1j6a2ejs said:
scutterhawk":1j6a2ejs said:
Hasselbeck":1j6a2ejs said:
As bad as he was, we were up 14-10 with 30 seconds left with a ton of money invested on defense.

That's not on Walsh.
That score NOT being 17, or 20 or even 23, IS on Walsh.
One miss, Meh-------Two misses, Hmmm-------Three misses, BULLSHIT.

I forgot what terrible pass coverage Walsh had on Doctson with a 4 point lead. You right. You right.
There's NO way around the FACT, no matter how you try and excuse his ineptness, Whiffing Walsh has his SHARE of blame in the LOSING of this game.....Pretty cut & dried.

The entire team had their share of the blame. Every unit messed up at some point.

Bear in mind, the thought of Blair Walsh as our kicker in December/January is horrifying, but we should have won Sunday even with him shanking 3 kicks.

That's my point.

Seymour

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2tdz3mju said:
scutterhawk":2tdz3mju said:
Hasselbeck":2tdz3mju said:
scutterhawk":2tdz3mju said:

I forgot what terrible pass coverage Walsh had on Doctson with a 4 point lead. You right. You right.
There's NO way around the FACT, no matter how you try and excuse his ineptness, Whiffing Walsh has his SHARE of blame in the LOSING of this game.....Pretty cut & dried.

The entire team had their share of the blame. Every unit messed up at some point.

Bear in mind, the thought of Blair Walsh as our kicker in December/January is horrifying, but we should have won Sunday even with him shanking 3 kicks.

That's my point.

And we would have won with 6 of those 9 missed points. 2 for 3 is the bare minimum you should be able to bank on with NFL kickers. That was others points.

Both are correct.

Hawks46

Reaction score
scutterhawk":k1334i6w said:
Hasselbeck":k1334i6w said:

That's not on Walsh.

And if he'd made 2 of those 3 FG's, we likely play stupid conservative football and don't even get that last TD. Not like we haven't done that before.

The entire team stunk. How many of those 16 penalties were on Walsh ? How many 47 yard pass plays did he get called back? Did he give up that last touchdown ? You can call in a bunch of different ways.

Also, I heard on the radio that the conditions weren't very good. Was it windy?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
ZagHawk":1q9p678a said:
Jerhawk":1q9p678a said:

I was really hoping the Redskins game would have come down to a game winning kick for that very reason. it would have been an easy way to answer moving forward. Similar to Kearse in the NFCCG. He bought himself some more time with that game winning TD catch.

Exactly. Was really hoping Wilson didn't take that last sack, and gotten the team just a little closer to give Walsh a chance.

And I don't understand everyone making fun of the guy. I doubt he reads this forum, but all the stuff on social media mocking him can't be helping his confidence. He's human and makes mistakes, just like all of us.

I'd like to see more positive support for him rather than bashing, but maybe I'm just a snowflake

chris98251

Reaction score
Jerhawk":28vj2mw6 said:
ZagHawk":28vj2mw6 said:
Jerhawk":28vj2mw6 said:

Exactly. Was really hoping Wilson didn't take that last sack, and gotten the team just a little closer to give Walsh a chance.

And I don't understand everyone making fun of the guy. I doubt he reads this forum, but all the stuff on social media mocking him can't be helping his confidence. He's human and makes mistakes, just like all of us.

I'd like to see more positive support for him rather than bashing, but maybe I'm just a snowflake

He gets paid really really well to be on target over 85 percent of the time, the reason he is employed is to not make mistakes. There are a whole lot of Kickers that don't have jobs because they make mistakes.