Kiero Small Released

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
CANHawk":20ky4zom said:
]
Derp? Hawks HAVE a long term answer at fullback and it's Derek Coleman. Tuku is a band aid because Coleman's hurt.

Can you really say that?

What if the Seahawks continue dominant in the running game like 200 yards average the rest of the way and on film they can single out all the great smash-mouth blocks where Tukuafu steamrolls defenders attributing to big runs. And they also notice a trend where the more the game wears on the more the opposing defense is getting more and more tenative taking on the Lynch/Tukuafu combo?

Do you feel Coleman wouldn't have to compete, let's say if the Seahawks signed Tukuafu for another year, and it would ultimately be Coleman's job to lose?

As much as I like DC and his story there is a reason why Seahawks did spend 6th and 7th round picks on guys like Ware and Small. DC might have been capable of out-working his peers but Tukuafu has something he doesn't, not many do, and that's an overwhelming and intimidating physical presence that meshes beautifully with Lynch's running style.

And what I love most of what I've see from Tukuafu thus far is he's not just taking out just one player and flushing them out of plays with a chop block. The dude puts on a hard hat: he bull-dozes over defenders like a wrecking ball and then looks for another victim to steam-roll.

For me I have never seen Coleman consistently put on the hard hat and look like that type of aggressive smash-mouth player. Coleman a consumate team player and has all-around value but he makes a better 3rd down back than lead-blocker.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If they targeted Small, it'd be a special teams move. They like versatility at that spot. However, with Mebane hurt, Tukuafu's value as an emergency d-lineman goes up. Personally, I'm liking this true power-I look we're getting with Tukuafu and Lynch. I'd like to see them keep it going through the rest of this season. Small laid some vicious hits on guys during the pre-season, but there's just something about the sight of Tukuafu and Lynch running behind Sweezy that really embodies what this team is all about.

That being said, I do think they consider Coleman the longterm answer at that spot, and that's fine. He's younger, a valuable STer, can play RB in a pinch and has more general versatility as a football player. But for now, I'm hoping to enjoy Tukuafu and Lynch plow through guys for as long as I can.

rastahawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":18oxriqc said:
Will Tukuafu is 30 years old but since I believe he entered the league, at 25/26, and really has only been a rotational part-time player for much of his short career probably is more around 28/29 years old in Football years. He's probably now just hitting his prime as a player and can play another two years at a high level.

And if I'm the Seahawks, I'm looking at keeping Lynch around for two more seasons, so if Tuk continues to do well and develops awesome chemistry with Lynch, it wouldn't be out of the question to keep him around for that same time frame.

Exactly. I am getting a bit tired of this Will is 30 talk. Truth is he has very low miles and there is no reason why he can't be here for the duration of Marshawn's stay. I mean they function "very" effectively together and yeah sometimes decisions are just that easy. Are we also all forgetting that Mac Strong also played well into his fifties. Geezus.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Why rush to get him?

Since when is small a commodity?

He'll be available during the off season, and he can compete then.

themunn

Reaction score
Mack Strong played until he was nearly 36 and amassed over 220 games in his career.

A 30 year old fullback doesn't worry me

Abach

Reaction score
Tukuafu looks like a badass lead blocking for lynch. Pleeeeaaaassssseeeeee keep him

Abach

Reaction score
Plus I just realized tukuafu went to my neighboring highschool. Thank heavens he is 5 years older then me or I would've had to block him

CANHawk

Reaction score
Lol, some of you guys are hilarious. Tuku starts at FB, Seahawks have franchise day rushing, Tuku gets all the credit.

Seriously?! We set a record because NYG was too stupid to seal the backside on the read option and let Russell run for 100+ yards. Without all of Russell's WTF yards, that was a pretty normal day running.

I like Tukuafu, but Coleman is the better all round FB.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
CANHawk":2w4xnd74 said:
Lol, some of you guys are hilarious. Tuku starts at FB, Seahawks have franchise day rushing, Tuku gets all the credit.

Seriously?! We set a record because NYG was too stupid to seal the backside on the read option and let Russell run for 100+ yards. Without all of Russell's WTF yards, that was a pretty normal day running.

Is 250 yards rushing a normal day rushing? In most cases that's not normal at least not in pro football. If it was, that would be the league avg. The league avg is about half that. Because without Russell's yards, 250 yards rushing is about how much they would have had. I agree the Giants were pathetic on run defense. No not all of the running success should be credited to Tuku. it was a whole team effort not just one guy. As Kpak76 pointed out in another thread, Okung and Unger coming back helped too.

CANHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":nnrzrkzi said:
CANHawk":nnrzrkzi said:

Is 250 yards rushing a normal day rushing? In most cases that's not a normal. Because without Russell's yards that's about how much they would have had. I agree the Giants were pathetic on run defense. No not all of it should be credited to Tuku. it was a whole team effort not just one guy. As Kpak76 pointed out in another thread, Okung and Unger coming back helped too.
Sorry, 250 is a great day. But still... Tukuafu is not the one who should get the credit for that game (and I'm a Tuku fan). That day would have turned out the same with Coleman in there.

sutz

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":3u6my5s9 said:
Why rush to get him?

Since when is small a commodity?

He'll be available during the off season, and he can compete then.
:13: This. I'd pick him up for next pre-season, maybe, but not now. Hey, I kind of like the guy, too, but there's no room on our team right now for him.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
I swear, Kiero Small has had the worst timing with us.

When Coleman went down, that would have been the perfect time to pick him up and plug him in to develop on the active roster. Of course Cleveland has been a biotch all season and conveniently promoted him to their roster when we were interested. Then we pick-up Tukuafu and the Browns conveniently cut Small.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Sign him and put him on the active roster.

Then rotate him and the beast man at FB. It will be a study in contrasts that will make me piss myself with laughter.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Instead, they added Stanley Havili, former starting fullback for the Colts, to the practice squad. Havili was a big receiving threat at SC under Carroll.