Kris Richard Next???

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Rex is a pretty diehard 3-4 guy, don't know how that would be received by Pete.

RussB

Reaction score
Wow i am legit impressed with pete and the staff. They are trying to make changes finally.

RussB

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":28vybgwe said:
Rex is a pretty diehard 3-4 guy, don't know how that would be received by Pete.
Hawks could actually pull of a 3-4. Doubt pete would go that route though.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":1305sugi said:
Scorpion05":1305sugi said:
mistaowen":1305sugi said:
Excited for a QB coach change too. Get someone young and creative to help Russell grow.

Impartial about KR getting fired, he's certainly not as good as Gus or Dan Quinn. Maybe finding someone fiery like Dan Quinn from college would be a nice change.

Kris is slightly better than Gus, not better than Quinn for sure

Based on what? Gus inherited a terrible defense and made it better. We led the NFL in scoring his final year and aside from our collapse in Atlanta we were really trending upwards.

Quinn
Gus
Richard

Actually he had several blown 4th quarters, and gave up early leads like he did to Atlanta. In the Redskins game right before that he gave up 14 points in the FIRST quarter to RG3, before his injury

People have a tendency to remember certain facts based on their biases. Kris Richards lost his defensive stars and still managed to keep a solid defense. Gus inherited young talent, saying he got a "Terrible defense" is the epitome of revisionism. He had young Sherm, young Earl, and young Wagz. Young stars all over that defense. Again, no one's saying Gus is bad. But this idea that Kris is terrible is extremely over the top and unfair imo. He's been solid. Could we do better?? Yes. Do I think we need a new DC? Yes. But he's capable enough to give us a defense that CAN win games

And even with his blunders, he shut down the Eagles high flying offense with Wentz, and the Cowboys. He reliably shut down the run outside of a few games. The 3rd & 10s were infuriating but outside of that I don't have much else to say. Richards also dealt with an offense that was 10000x less efficient than what Gus had

Jville

Reaction score
I see one name missing from the possible replacements list.

In the past, Pete has mentioned Michael Barrow as a future defensive coordinator. Barrow is listed as " Assistant Head Coach/Defense/Linebackers".

That's not to suggest that he is at the top of the list. But, he is an internal candidate.

Greenhell

Reaction score
ludakrishna":2mz4xv39 said:
I want to know whether this is a Paul Allen directive. Pete still wants to coach, but Paul told him the coordinators must go.

That would be my guess. This is coming from the main man. Axe Cable next!

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Wow, give our injuries on that side of the ball, I didn't think Richard did too bad.

I'm worried seeing Richard's name called before Cable's...

Fade

Reaction score
Pete runs a 1 gap system on D period. He wants to play fast, not read & react, It will never change. So stick to coach suggestions that align with this.

Offensively. Pete wants a zone running game that you can then work the boots & rollouts off of with play passes. West Coast verbiage. Mike & Kyle Shanahan are the poster child's for what it should look like, but it hasn't unfortunately.

Pete will most likely stick with this style on offense, with only a slight chance he changes, or tweaks it a little bit.

But defensively Pete isn't changing. He learned it, and ran it since the 70's and isn't changing now.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1bfyfhej said:
Wow, give our injuries on that side of the ball, I didn't think Richard did too bad.

This I feel is the problem, our expectations for our defense went out the window when the injuries hit, and rightfully so but we became easily impressed by a couple of solid showings. They still got smoked a few times in there and lets not forget when he had a full contingent of players this defense was under performing. The dline looked unable to generate pressure consistently all year, getting off the field for 3rd downs a continuing issue, penalties continued, temper flare ups continued. For the capital invested on that side of the ball, he wasn't getting the best out of his players, it's great that he made a few back ups look good but was that really something he did or did we just stumble into some good back ups. I definitely think Richard was part of the problem here

el capitan

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1whfx6yj said:
WestcoastSteve":1whfx6yj said:
Scorpion05":1whfx6yj said:
mistaowen":1whfx6yj said:
Excited for a QB coach change too. Get someone young and creative to help Russell grow.

Impartial about KR getting fired, he's certainly not as good as Gus or Dan Quinn. Maybe finding someone fiery like Dan Quinn from college would be a nice change.

Based on what? Gus inherited a terrible defense and made it better. We led the NFL in scoring his final year and aside from our collapse in Atlanta we were really trending upwards.

Quinn
Gus
Richard

Actually he had several blown 4th quarters, and gave up early leads like he did to Atlanta. In the Redskins game right before that he gave up 14 points in the FIRST quarter to RG3, before his injury

People have a tendency to remember certain facts based on their biases. Kris Richards lost his defensive stars and still managed to keep a solid defense. Gus inherited young talent, saying he got a "Terrible defense" is the epitome of revisionism. He had young Sherm, young Earl, and young Wagz. Young stars all over that defense. Again, no one's saying Gus is bad. But this idea that Kris is terrible is extremely over the top and unfair imo. He's been solid. Could we do better?? Yes. Do I think we need a new DC? Yes. But he's capable enough to give us a defense that CAN win games

And even with his blunders, he shut down the Eagles high flying offense with Wentz, and the Cowboys. He reliably shut down the run outside of a few games. The 3rd & 10s were infuriating but outside of that I don't have much else to say. Richards also dealt with an offense that was 10000x less efficient than what Gus had

Kris Richards has had the benefit of vastly superior talent, not to mention the experience that said talent has accumulated.

And if you want talk blown 4th quarter leads, off the top of my head since 2015 - @Rams, @ Bengals, Panthers, Cardinals, Redskins....not to mention the constant 3rd and forever completions.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
flmmkrz":29641mfa said:
WindCityHawk":29641mfa said:

This I feel is the problem, our expectations for our defense went out the window when the injuries hit, and rightfully so but we became easily impressed by a couple of solid showings. They still got smoked a few times in there and lets not forget when he had a full contingent of players this defense was under performing. The dline looked unable to generate pressure consistently all year, getting off the field for 3rd downs a continuing issue, penalties continued, temper flare ups continued. For the capital invested on that side of the ball, he wasn't getting the best out of his players, it's great that he made a few back ups look good but was that really something he did or did we just stumble into some good back ups. I definitely think Richard was part of the problem here

Can't argue with that. Still, it's surprising after the leeway they appeared to give Bevell. I guess as long as they've sharpened the axe, may as well use it.

original poster

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MyersNFL/status/951169728722038784[/tweet]

Makes sense to me.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
el capitan":2muh1ly3 said:
Kris Richards has had the benefit of vastly superior talent, not to mention the experience that said talent has accumulated.

And I suppose we're not going to talk about the injury to Earl in 2016, or all of 2017.

In 2015, with everyone healthy, Seattle was #3 DVOA against both pass and run.

He was also the secondary coach during the Legion's rise.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Scorpion05":tr3vqbrl said:
WestcoastSteve":tr3vqbrl said:
Scorpion05":tr3vqbrl said:
mistaowen":tr3vqbrl said:

Quinn
Gus
Richard

Sherm and Wagner only played for Bradley so you can't say he inherited them.

He did inherit Thomas but Earl went from a solid rookie to an All Pro under Gus.

You also can't say Richard hasn't blown leads -- see the Redskins and Cardinals game this year!!!

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":7v6yza2y said:
el capitan":7v6yza2y said:

And I suppose we're not going to talk about the injury to Earl in 2016, or all of 2017.

I don't think anyone is saying Richard is an awful coordinator. I think the argument is there's a good chance we will never be an elite defense ever again with him as DC.

el capitan

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3i9jftgc said:
el capitan":3i9jftgc said:

I'm not disputing how good he was as a DB's coach, but the guy is not good enough to be a DC yet.

Richards had Avril, Bennett, Richardson, ET, Sherm, Chancellor, Wagner, KJ Wright etc.

The best Gus had was Chris Clemons and a bunch of raw rookies.

I'd trust Gus to do more with what Kris had than I would expect Kris to achieve anything with what Gus had (if that makes sense).

Steve2222

Reaction score
People can talk about the injuries all they want, but our defense was still loaded with talent and still got torched by QBs named Blake Bortles and Drew Stanton. Avril, Sherm, and Kam (who by the way I think Macdougald is better than at this point) nowhere near should make the D drop off like that. Just look at the half hearted performance the D put up against LA.

Richard definitely deserves his share of the blame and this firing is justified as far as I’m concerned.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
el capitan":ctrxyq3u said:
Scorpion05":ctrxyq3u said:
WestcoastSteve":ctrxyq3u said:
Scorpion05":ctrxyq3u said:

Quinn
Gus
Richard

And if you want talk blown 4th quarter leads, off the top of my head since 2015 - @Rams, @ Bengals, Panthers, Cardinals, Redskins....not to mention the constant 3rd and forever completions.

And with that superior talent, he's had us at number 1 and no worse than number 3 in most categories

Neither Gus or Quinn had to deal with that. Richards had an injured Bennett, no Sherm, no Kam, no Avril, an injured Wagner, lost Wright for a game, made Maxwell play above his head. Last year again, he lost Earl and had people banged up on defense

So no, your point is not a reasonable, objective view of Richard's tenure. Getting better than Richards would mean having the BEST DC in the league, whoever that is (Quinn?). And that's an extremely high standard.

Side Note: Off the top of your head you just mentioned games in which our offense was far more inept than it was under Gus or Quinn. 3 missed field goals in the Redskins game where the Skins offense barely scored points??? No Marshawn Lynch to keep the time of possession? Give me a break with these limited facts to make the guy seem like a bum. He's not. His tenure has been B+ with a few A+ in between, even WITH a banged up defense. Which makes him one of the better DC's in the league, even if we could do better

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Steve2222":3rlzjl25 said:
People can talk about the injuries all they want, but our defense was still loaded with talent and still got torched by QBs named Blake Bortles and Drew Stanton. Avril, Sherm, and Kam (who by the way I think Macdougald is better than at this point) nowhere near should make the D drop off like that. Just look at the half hearted performance the D put up against LA.

Richard definitely deserves his share of the blame and this firing is justified as far as I’m concerned.

So Richards' defense put up a half hearted performance with a defense that was banged up...even though that defense had to defend a DYNAMIC Rams offense several times from the 40 yard line? Didn't Quinn blow a 10-14 point lead in the Super Bowl? Oh wait it's Tom Brady, so we excuse that. Pretty sure we wouldn't have excused Richards in a similar scenario

A shut down corner who REMOVES half the field shouldn't lead to a huge dropoff? Neither should a HOF safety who can go sideline to sideline like Earl last year? Neither should Bennett's bum knee, leading to QBs like Bortles being able to relax in the pocket? Come on. As Colin Cowherd would say, there's being right and getting it right. In the first game of the season when healthy, Richards shut down the Packers offense with Rodgers. We lost because of bad calls and our offense

Are you sure Quinn and Gus didn't blow similar games or give up points when they shouldn't? Recency bias is great but we can take a look back. Richards was arguably our most competent coach this season and faced the MOST adversity compared to many coordinators in the league. An offense that can't run, maintain time of possession, and a defense who's best D-lineman has a bad knee, a star linebacker with a hamstring injury all year long, and a corner that shuts down half the field out. Oh, and Earl missed a couple games.

Ridiculous. He's faced more adversity than any other DC in the Pete era, that's a fact. That doesn't make him faultless, but it makes the criticism of him here seem excessive and insane