Lane arrested for DUI

potatohead

Reaction score
Guy was always my least favourite Hawk, time to hit the road, for real this time.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1equbm3w said:
http://komonews.com/sports/seahawks...hawks-lane-had-been-smoking-pot-before-arrest

The State Patrol report says that Lane was stopped about 2 a.m. Sunday on Interstate 90 on Mercer Island. He was driving his 2006 Dodge Charger with its hazard lights on and was going 80 mph in a 60-mph zone, the report says. He also made several lane changes.

Lane later told a trooper that he had the hazard lights on because his home alarm system had been triggered and that he was trying to get home.

Trooper Matthew Mason wrote that "there was a strong odor of burnt marijuana" inside Lane's car. "Lane's speech was slurred and slow, and his eyes were bloodshot and watery."

Lane told the trooper that he had had nothing to drink but had smoked marijuana three hours earlier.

A breath tests showed a blood-alcohol limit of .039, below the legal limit of .08.

Lane latter said he didn't want people "thinking he was drunk," the report says.

Mason said Lane then said, "This time I was more high than anything."

Among the three field sobriety tests, Lane was asked to lift one leg, then count.

"While Lane counted out loud, I noticed that he skipped from 11 to 13, then back to 12, the forward to 14," Mason wrote in his report. "Around the time he had counted to 20, Lane began to lose his balance and leaned heavily to his right, eventually placing his foot down and stumbling while regaining his balance."

Mason said he was unaware that Lane was a professional football player and that the Seahawk made only oblique references to sports. At one point, he told the trooper that he had broken his arm in the Super Bowl, the report says.

The trooper also responded in his report to comments Lane made on twitter. "A fail DUI is 0.08 right? I blew 0.03 why was still arrest!!! I'll Leave it at that," he said a tweet that was later deleted.

But Mason said he explained to Lane several times that he was arrested because of his driving, his performance on the sobriety test and his admission to smoking marijuana "lead me to believe that he was impaired by a combination of alcohol and marijuana."

After being arrested, Lane was taken to Overlake Hospital for blood draws.

Amazing how they can force you to do that when no accident is involved.
That test will be the death of his Hawk days.

original poster

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2dtpc6iq said:
Seymour":2dtpc6iq said:
http://komonews.com/sports/seahawks...hawks-lane-had-been-smoking-pot-before-arrest

The State Patrol report says that Lane was stopped about 2 a.m. Sunday on Interstate 90 on Mercer Island. He was driving his 2006 Dodge Charger with its hazard lights on and was going 80 mph in a 60-mph zone, the report says. He also made several lane changes.

Lane later told a trooper that he had the hazard lights on because his home alarm system had been triggered and that he was trying to get home.

Trooper Matthew Mason wrote that "there was a strong odor of burnt marijuana" inside Lane's car. "Lane's speech was slurred and slow, and his eyes were bloodshot and watery."

Lane told the trooper that he had had nothing to drink but had smoked marijuana three hours earlier.

A breath tests showed a blood-alcohol limit of .039, below the legal limit of .08.

Lane latter said he didn't want people "thinking he was drunk," the report says.

Mason said Lane then said, "This time I was more high than anything."

Among the three field sobriety tests, Lane was asked to lift one leg, then count.

"While Lane counted out loud, I noticed that he skipped from 11 to 13, then back to 12, the forward to 14," Mason wrote in his report. "Around the time he had counted to 20, Lane began to lose his balance and leaned heavily to his right, eventually placing his foot down and stumbling while regaining his balance."

Mason said he was unaware that Lane was a professional football player and that the Seahawk made only oblique references to sports. At one point, he told the trooper that he had broken his arm in the Super Bowl, the report says.

The trooper also responded in his report to comments Lane made on twitter. "A fail DUI is 0.08 right? I blew 0.03 why was still arrest!!! I'll Leave it at that," he said a tweet that was later deleted.

But Mason said he explained to Lane several times that he was arrested because of his driving, his performance on the sobriety test and his admission to smoking marijuana "lead me to believe that he was impaired by a combination of alcohol and marijuana."

After being arrested, Lane was taken to Overlake Hospital for blood draws.

Amazing how they can force you to do that when no accident is involved.
That test will be the death of his Hawk days.

I think he was gone out of Seattle anyway, in honesty. All this does is damage any chance of a low round draft trade.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The accuracy of the devices measuring blood alcohol have a margin of error of + or - .01 milligrams/100 mililitres or 10 milligrams %. What this means is the reading for Lane could have been 0.029 to 0.049. Just a reminder the legal limit of alcohol in blood is 0.08.

Giving the benefit of a doubt according to the law his reading is rounded down to the next lowest round number and thus the correct reading for him at law is .03 or .02 which is under the blood alcohol level for a warn reading or .05 milligrams/100 millilitres on any roadside screening device. A reading of .05 is the level where one is affected by alcohol but not impaired by it in most cases. What this means is that he was not impaired by alcohol but rather arguably by a drug or a combination thereof.

As I regularly deal with these cases as a defence lawyer I know the above information is accurate. Lane’s admission of consumption of weed may or may not be admissible in Court depending upon a number of factors and the state of his Miranda efforts warnings, etc.. the case against him is to me most likely a weak case. A plea deal will likely happen.

Lane was likely gone notwithstanding this stupidity as he has regressed as a CB, though the collective D has all gotten worse under the Richard regime. Change for him would be a good thing he has fallen down the DC here and was well behind Coleman as the nickel. I think the team will move away from him for his play and not just b/c of this incident.

Vesuve

Reaction score
hedgehawk":1xjenva0 said:
Chapow":1xjenva0 said:
WmHBonney":1xjenva0 said:
Every situation is different, and a low BAC% doesn't mean that you weren't too screwed up to drive.

Yep. Just like being arrested for something doesn't mean that you are guilty.

I'm not saying he's not guilty. I don't know if he's guilty or not. I'm just saying that people are arrested all the time who are not guilty of whatever it is they were arrested for.

Wouldn’t shock me if he refused a breath test, didn’t do well on a sobriety test or his car smelled like weed if his .03 BAC is accurate. Around 6 weeks ago I went out to dinner with a friend. He had 3 beers over 2 hours at dinner. He ran a yellow/red light while dropping me back off. Cop asked if he would take a field sobriety test, buddy said sure. He screwed up the alphabet funny enough. Cop took a breath test and he was .035 and was arrested. Since I hadn’t been drinking at all the officers asked if I would drive his car to the station as they were going to release him within minutes. They charged him with DWI but the courts dropped the charges altogether a few weeks later. Sometimes it’s not as bad as it seems. Probably won’t help his off-season regardless.

How can he charged with a DUI at 0.35?!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If his reading was actually 0.35 he’d have been almost 4 1/2 times over the legal limit.

I doubt he’s to be charged with driving over the legal limit of 0.08 at his reading of 0.039 but rather he’s charged with Driving while Impaired.

In his case I suppose the argument is he was impaired by alcohol and a drug in combination.

The law will soon strengthen to deal with stoners who get high then drive while high and waisted. Impaired driving is simply driving while your ability to “drive” is impaired. In Lane’s case, unless his driving was poor, other than for speeding 80 in a 60 zone with his hazard flasher on, the case of the actual impairment of his driving ability is not that strong. There appears to be little evidence of weaving, inability to maintain his proper lane, inexplicably wide turns etc.

There is little doubt he was somewhat stupid however. The admission off being high is going to bite him in the rear. This could however be a case the state prosecutes b/c of Lane’s notoriety and the impaired by drug angle.

Seymour

Reaction score
Vesuve":32uaf3l3 said:
hedgehawk":32uaf3l3 said:
Chapow":32uaf3l3 said:
WmHBonney":32uaf3l3 said:
Every situation is different, and a low BAC% doesn't mean that you weren't too screwed up to drive.

I'm not saying he's not guilty. I don't know if he's guilty or not. I'm just saying that people are arrested all the time who are not guilty of whatever it is they were arrested for.

Wouldn’t shock me if he refused a breath test, didn’t do well on a sobriety test or his car smelled like weed if his .03 BAC is accurate. Around 6 weeks ago I went out to dinner with a friend. He had 3 beers over 2 hours at dinner. He ran a yellow/red light while dropping me back off. Cop asked if he would take a field sobriety test, buddy said sure. He screwed up the alphabet funny enough. Cop took a breath test and he was .035 and was arrested. Since I hadn’t been drinking at all the officers asked if I would drive his car to the station as they were going to release him within minutes. They charged him with DWI but the courts dropped the charges altogether a few weeks later. Sometimes it’s not as bad as it seems. Probably won’t help his off-season regardless.

You have the decimal in the wrong place. It was .039 per report (under .08 law yes), but when combined with weed (or any other drug) everything changes.

DUI is not just driving drunk in this state.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/dui.html

DUI (Driving Under the Influence)
What is DUI?

Driving under the influence (DUI) refers to operating a vehicle while affected by alcohol, drugs, or both. This applies to both legal and illegal drugs, including prescription medication and over-the-counter drugs.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
Vesuve":y36wo9he said:
hedgehawk":y36wo9he said:
Chapow":y36wo9he said:
WmHBonney":y36wo9he said:

They said something along the lines of “we believe you are impaired to be driving, as you ran a red light and failed parts of the field sobriety.” Courts and prosecutors obviously didn’t agree as all charges were dropped.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":1mopjyot said:
Y'all sound like a bunch of jerks. Its cuz you dont like him. Flat out is the reason why. If it was Russ, it wouldn't of had this knee jerk reaction that you guys are having.

If he did blow, its totally immature and bad. I flat out agree on that. He could of killed someone.

On a side note the people in here calling him a "loser" or whatever else you guys are saying probably have had a DUI or had a little over the limit in your life.
Dude don’t bring Russell Wilson into this. Dude would never drink and drive. He’s so well behaved he’s still a virgin despite marrying a hottie.