LB Shea McClellin visiting Hawks (Now a Patriot)

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Nah, it was this place in Fresno where there just happened to be an Okinawan Bonzai dude that knew mad Karate.

nanomoz

Reaction score
LEO reclamation project. 260 is about where Clemons played, no?

titan3131

Reaction score
I wonder if chris peterson told Pete that shea could be better utilized and be a star if coached right?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2edmibny said:
Sounds like a Chris Clemons clone.
McClellin is actually a better athlete. He's also listed at 245 now as well and got there to play ILB so he's likely a little quicker and faster than the 260 he weighed in at the combine.

I think 250-255 should be plenty for him to to have a real shot at owning that SLB spot on the LOS. Previously I thought that we might have to move Wright there, but Wright has no pass rush ability and is not a powerful player so I'd rather leave him on the weak side. Irvin didn't get a chance to blitz much from the SLB spot so that might be mute, but it's a good skillset to have in the event we drop the Leo into coverage to try and free someone else up.

firebee

Reaction score
titan3131":vn6dwlfq said:
I wonder if chris peterson told Pete that shea could be better utilized and be a star if coached right?

Even when he came out of the draft, I knew he wasn't going to hold as a conventional DE. Then moving him to MLB and SAM... Whuuuut??? Liking the possibility of him becoming a little more productive as a Will or LEO type in our defense. I still want to see us bring in Terence Garvin though.... The possibilities for him as insurance on Kam or a weakside linebacker are very intriguing.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
titan3131":2xl9m7ok said:
He'll never be a star per se unless he blows up with 11 sacks or something, but his time at ILB should have really taught him a thing or two about concepts and defense in general. I read an article about Fangio having confidence in him "running" their defense. He's got a high football IQ with some real athletic talent. I don't see why he can't provide exactly what Irvin did where he may end up in coverage on 1st and 2nd down and "potentially" earn some pass rush snaps in a backup role. That is, if he can get some of those said reps over Marsh, where McClellin is a better athlete on paper or some other hopeful. I do expect Clark to still take some reps inside despite his weight, but if that's not the case then McClellin shouldn't very well see snaps over Clark on 3rd.

Also, coverage for a MLB or ILB is much harder than your average OLB play at the LOS where you normally end up in the flat. Having the sideline there changes coverage immensely vs being in the middle of the field. It just seems to me that he should have garnered enough overall NFL skill to shore up that position. He would actually be direct competition for Marsh as a pass rusher and direct competition for that SLB spot in the worst case. Probably cross trains as a Leo, since it's hardly different anyway. The main difference is that you don't have to cover, but gap responsibilities are basically the same.

DynoHawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1o2g9dnl said:
Nah, it was this place in Fresno where there just happened to be an Okinawan Bonzai dude that knew mad Karate.
and could teach you enough Karate skills to go up against Black Belts and win, even though neither of you have ever been in a tournament before...

kobebryant

Reaction score
I'm intrigued.

This staff has done nice things with players older than Shea with less athletic profiles.

I think he may have been overdrafted given how much of the rage Clay Matthews was at the time, and maybe they were hoping he was the next one. He's been on some pretty crappy defensive staffs to this point.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
For the right price I would be intrigued. The guy is a average or slightly above average player, who may still have some upside with some different coaching and being put in a new system. The team could use some options at the SAM and he may bring them a different set of skills at a possible lower price point. Can't hurt to look even if he doesn't get an offer.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Born and raised inland NW guy too being from Caldwell, ID. It would put him close to home, but if I'm him and somebody gives me a longer term more lucrative offer I take that one. He likely gets a 1 year prove it deal though and hopefully that's us.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Was a huge McClellin fan at draft time.

Not so much now. But at a good price point ( < 2m ) he's a decent depth option. Don't start him though.

Problem is you only have that much money to move around. I think I'd prefer other 1.5m per year contracts on the club.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Well that sucks.

Now either Wright has to move back to SLB and we have a competition for WLB or we have to go another route for SLB via FA or the draft. We don't have another LB on the roster who really fills that strong side backer role.