Levis stadium speakers project crowd noise

Marvin49

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":23pjvqsw said:
The subject of speakers projecting crowd noise is the title of the thread, which was brought up yesterday. Marvin has been using his cardboard time machine too much and is now confused about which year he is in.

...and what I responded to was the content of his post. I was also correct.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1rc0edng said:
CurryStopstheRuns":1rc0edng said:

Well how many games did you expect it to be good for, 8?
This is a problem that needs to be addressed by the NFL. Washington and Pissburgh are known repeat offenders of having crappy playing surfaces. If you can't fix the problem you are going to field turf the next year should be the rule for all stadiums.
If the commish's office and NFL executives were serious about player safety they would have dealt with the problem by now.

A

Anonymous

Treghc":1ev5zlwc said:
Marvin49":1ev5zlwc said:
I know there is only one big speaker bank on the south side scoreboard that projects north in order to alleviate concerns about noise for the residential areas south of the stadium, but I've heard nothing about crowd noise being projected through them.

When they showed this little snippet before the game, I knew i would be misinterpreted. The subject was about crowd noise and the speaker immediately started talking about the speakers afterwards, making it seem like he was inferring noise would be coming from them. Obviously, this isn't what he meant, but some will hear what they want to hear and make it a topic of discussion.

I'm sorry, what?

:roll:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I'm starting to think the crappy playing surface thing is being done on purpose. How can you spend all that money and not put the right kind of grass in?

Marvin49

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":rv6t9ta7 said:
I'm starting to think the crappy playing surface thing is being done on purpose. How can you spend all that money and not put the right kind of grass in?

Not on purpose.

Its embarrassing for sure, but not on purpose.

The type of grass that was put in was put in specifically because it rebounds quickly so that they can have a number of different events there with short turnaround and the grass itself is supposed to withstand more punishment and require less water.

So far? Not so much.

Not sure what the deal is. Some of the players were saying after the game on Sunday that the field still appeared to be "too young" and that it hadn't completely taken root yet. Dunno.

49ers and the grounds crew have egg on their face on this one. They need to get it worked out in short order.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":29gotubp said:
Treghc":29gotubp said:
Marvin49":29gotubp said:
I know there is only one big speaker bank on the south side scoreboard that projects north in order to alleviate concerns about noise for the residential areas south of the stadium, but I've heard nothing about crowd noise being projected through them.

When they showed this little snippet before the game, I knew i would be misinterpreted. The subject was about crowd noise and the speaker immediately started talking about the speakers afterwards, making it seem like he was inferring noise would be coming from them. Obviously, this isn't what he meant, but some will hear what they want to hear and make it a topic of discussion.

I'm sorry, what?

:roll:

During the broadcast before the game the announcers were talking about crowd noise bouncing back down to the field off the concrete and class suites along one side of the field.

Then they immediately transitioned to talking about how the bank of speakers in the stadium to project music, down and distance calls, etc. are all on the South side of the stadium (pointing North) to alleviate noise concerns from the residential area directly South of the stadium.

If you weren't really listening it sounded like they were saying that crowd noise would be projected through the speaker bank.

In the OP Polk is right that they were talking about crowd noise bouncing off the suites, but the thread title is bogus. (understandable however, as the way it was phrased was inelegant and you had to be listening closely).

Re: the grass, the main benefit is that it takes 50% less water, and given that California is in a perpetual drout (and in the middle of a huge one), I think it makes sense for the NFL's first LEED Gold certified stadium. I'd guess this is all part of the soft opening process. (e.g. transport was a huge problem for the soccer match, but was worked out by the pre-season game; the grass was an issue after the first football game, but is currently being worked out in time for the next pre-season game, and the 9ers don't open the actual season at Levi's precisely so there will be time to work out unforseen kinks).. As far as kinks in the opening of the stadium goes, Hawks fans basically sound like Tea Partiers talking about Obamacare during the rollout. To be expected of course, but still kinda :lol:

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1mynfr72 said:
Re: the grass, the main benefit is that it takes 50% less water, and given that California is in a perpetual drout (and in the middle of a huge one), I think it makes sense for the NFL's first LEED Gold certified stadium. I'd guess this is all part of the soft opening process. (e.g. transport was a huge problem for the soccer match, but was worked out by the pre-season game; the grass was an issue after the first football game, but is currently being worked out in time for the next pre-season game, and the 9ers don't open the actual season at Levi's precisely so there will be time to work out unforseen kinks).. As far as kinks in the opening of the stadium goes, Hawks fans basically sound like Tea Partiers talking about Obamacare during the rollout. To be expected of course, but still kinda :lol:

Spin_1038.jpg

Marvin49

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":10segv1y said:
Popeyejones":10segv1y said:

Spin_1038.jpg

Not sure what your point is.

BTW...field being re-sodded as we speak.

1jkdmt

SeahawkFrost

Reaction score
The nice thing about field turf is you don't have to water it. Hindsight being 20/20 since water is in such high demand and all, maybe they should of just installed field turf instead of the water conservative grass.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":1nr8mo73 said:
LawlessHawk":1nr8mo73 said:
Popeyejones":1nr8mo73 said:

Spin_1038.jpg

1jkdmt

Didn't need to re-sod the end zones, they weren't used much.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SeahawkFrost":1tk70b05 said:
The nice thing about field turf is you don't have to water it. Hindsight being 20/20 since water is in such high demand and all, maybe they should of just installed field turf instead of the water conservative grass.

Not gonna use Field Turf.

Becoming clear the issue was never the turf, but the sand underneath. The grass isn't taking root in that sand.

They are re-sodding temporarily, then next week after the soccer game they are going to rip it ALL up and replace the sand.

My guess tho is whomever chose the sand that's in there currently might be unemployed shortly.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":1uqvogc9 said:
Marvin49":1uqvogc9 said:
LawlessHawk":1uqvogc9 said:
Popeyejones":1uqvogc9 said:

Spin_1038.jpg

1jkdmt

Didn't need to re-sod the end zones, they weren't used much.

I dunno, Denver seemed to spend a lot of time in there.

253hawk

Reaction score
The only other stadium that uses that form of Bermuda grass is RFK; the warning signs were all there. Surprised they didn't go with 419 like everyone else that uses natural. It did seem like there were a lot of large chunks coming up during the Broncos game.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Wait, they were playing football that day? With one side finishing with a score of zero and grass divots flying everywhere all day, I thought it was golf.