LT Trent Williams to the 49ers

Marvin49

Reaction score
...so set aside the Garoppolo bickering....

I love the move for Trent Williams. Losing Staley could have been a huge loss. I feel bad for Joe because his last game was the Super Bowl, but good to see they've identified a replacement.

IF (and its a big if) Williams is the same guy he was or close, he is a PERFECT fit for Shanahans offense, and likely even an upgrade from the 35 year old, injured Staley last year. I couldn't be happier with that move given Joes retirement.

This offseason has been interesting.

Buckner: I HATE losing him. Love that guy...but 21 mill per year is pretty steep. I personally wanted CeeDee Lamb at that spot, but getting Kinlaw AND a draft pick in the move down that was used later in the move up was about as good as I could have asked for.

I have no expectation that Kinlaw will be as good as Buckner, but I think he'll be very good. 15-20 mil over the next 4 years is also much beter than 84 mil.

Sanders: Kinda sucked to see him go after giving up the draft capitol, but again, I didn't like that price tag. Good but aging player and great locker room presence. In this case, I MUCH prefer Aiyuk. Far less $$$, much bigger upside and fits what they do perfectly. As I said, I'd have preferred Lamb, but Aiyuk is a good consolation prize and I greatly prefer him to Sanders. The slight move down to 14 also netted them the pick to help them move up on Aiyuk. So, Buck for Kinlaw isn't straight up. Its Kinlaw and a part of Aiyuk.

Staley: As I stated before, Ideal replacement for Staley, assuming he's healthy.

So basically they had three holes created via Trade, Free Agency, and Retirement and they managed a pretty good answer at all three spots.

Not bad.

TAB420

Reaction score
"Marvin49"

"So basically they had three holes created via Trade, Free Agency, and Retirement and they managed a pretty good answer at all three spots.

Not bad."

Maybe...but that was one of the main points being made above. You had three holds, that were held by proven NFL players being filled by rookies and a player that hasn't played since 2018. Yes the positions are filled, but only time will tell if it's "not bad" or not.

Marvin49

Reaction score
TAB420":1vrcr5xb said:
"Marvin49"

"So basically they had three holes created via Trade, Free Agency, and Retirement and they managed a pretty good answer at all three spots.

Not bad."

Maybe...but that was one of the main points being made above. You had three holds, that were held by proven NFL players being filled by rookies and a player that hasn't played since 2018. Yes the positions are filled, but only time will tell if it's "not bad" or not.

Well, by "not bad" I don't mean "problem solved".

I mean they've done a good job of addressing concerns. Nothing is a sure thing. Given the circumstances I don't think they could have managed it much better. Time will tell if those moves pay off.

I mean they came into this with no 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick, a DT who wanted 21 mil per and not a ton of cap space and parlayed that into Kinlaw, Aiyuk and Williams. I'm not complainin'.

Additionally, not paying Buck that money gave them the space to resign Jimmie Ward, Arik Armstead, and Ronald Blair, IE they didn't have to create additional holes.

Next year, should they actually play the season, should be interesting. Yes, Niners made the SB, but they were HAMMERED with injuries all year and in particular at 2 positions, OT and WR.

That's what made the Emmanuel Sanders trade necessary to begin with. Now they'll have an experienced Deebo, they get Jalen Hurd and Trent Tayler back, AND they add Aiyuk. Should be fun.

...and BTW, hope everyone is safe. Trying times. Getting serious cabin fever.

TAB420

Reaction score
Marvin49":1tytuvds said:
TAB420":1tytuvds said:
"Marvin49"

Not bad."

I mean they've done a good job of addressing concerns. Nothing is a sure thing. Given the circumstances I don't think they could have managed it much better. Time will tell if those moves pay off.

I mean they came into this with no 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick, a DT who wanted 21 mil per and not a ton of cap space and parlayed that into Kinlaw, Aiyuk and Williams. I'm not complainin'.

Additionally, not paying Buck that money gave them the space to resign Jimmie Ward, Arik Armstead, and Ronald Blair, IE they didn't have to create additional holes.

Next year, should they actually play the season, should be interesting. Yes, Niners made the SB, but they were HAMMERED with injuries all year and in particular at 2 positions, OT and WR.

That's what made the Emmanuel Sanders trade necessary to begin with. Now they'll have an experienced Deebo, they get Jalen Hurd and Trent Tayler back, AND they add Aiyuk. Should be fun.

Agreed. The positions are filled and I'm sure the best attempts were made (why wouldn't they be?) but at this point, it's a crap shoot. That's all I was saying about this. Anytime a pro bowl player is traded or released its a huge risk. I get that you save money but best case is you find someone as good, and that's best case.

Marvin49

Reaction score
TAB420":vmn8p2gw said:
Marvin49":vmn8p2gw said:
TAB420":vmn8p2gw said:
"Marvin49"

Not bad."

Agreed. The positions are filled and I'm sure the best attempts were made (why wouldn't they be?) but at this point, it's a crap shoot. That's all I was saying about this. Anytime a pro bowl player is traded or released its a huge risk. I get that you save money but best case is you find someone as good, and that's best case.

Right. Why wouldn't they be? The difference is instead of losing Buck for nothing but a possible comp pick, they got the 13th pick and a promising player in the draft, plus the ammunition to move up from 31 to get the WR they wanted. Shanahan said post draft that Aiyuk was his favorite WR to watch, but did admit he really liked Lamb. Not a shock tho. At this point its really easy to spot WRs that Shanahan will gravitate to.

All of them have either been RBs or PRs at some point in their careers. Given that Garoppolo isn't a great deep ball thrower, it makes sense that the offense is centered on quick pass, RAC plays so loading up on RAC players makes a ton of sense.

Kittle, Samuel, Aiyuk, Hurd....hell even their 7th rounder Jauan Jennings.....all fit that mold.

...also notable, they did NOT pick up the 5th year option on Solomon Thomas. They needed to get a guy to fill Buckners spot.

94Smith

Reaction score
2 rookies and a former All Pro. If Williams returns to form he is actually better than Staley. Especially Staley last year, he was really beat up