Malik McDowell Released

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pretty hard to predict that someone who do something THAT stupid. But somehow the Hawks need to be able to predict the future.

Seymour

Reaction score
Well I for one actually can predict the future!!

My prediction is....Stupid people will do stupid things! :snack:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Somehow blaming the team for the idiocy of an immature young athlete, seems ridiculous.

McDowell believed he was bullet proof and wasn't. Playing him when he can't clear concussion protocol is of course not happening. Confidentiality of a players personal medical information is also a requirement so we don't know anything more than he cracked his coconut and suffered a brain injury of reasonable severity. Doesn't any one think the team would like to release more information about this situation? of course they can't without exposure to a lawsuit.

This pick upset the team's plans as the player put himself out of commission with his stupidity. Unfortunately a prohibition against dangerous activities may not have been included in his contract so the team lost on both levels no player and a requirement to pay contractual guarantees.

To me this whole situation is unfortunate as there was little doubt that athletically McDowell seemed an interesting prospect who needed some maturing to occur. His immaturity is what ultimately caused his involvement in the activity which is somewhat extreme and dangerous per se blaming the team for the injury however seem a stretch to me.

The team has had a few unfortunate fails with early draft picks over the years and lost a quality young OT (Chris McIntosh) to a career ending neck injury, there have been others too, this pick was not a bad pick in terms the potential abilities of the player however it works out to being a bad pick b/c they got nothing from the pick except expense. Sometimes you win another times you lose.

Doubt McDowell will ever play again. Time to move on.

Seymour

Reaction score
jammerhawk":379lzmx7 said:
Somehow blaming the team for the idiocy of an immature young athlete, seems ridiculous.

McDowell believed he was bullet proof and wasn't. Playing him when he can't clear concussion protocol is of course not happening. Confidentiality of a players personal medical information is also a requirement so we don't know anything more than he cracked his coconut and suffered a brain injury of reasonable severity. Doesn't any one think the team would like to release more information about this situation? of course they can't without exposure to a lawsuit.

This pick upset the team's plans as the player put himself out of commission with his stupidity. Unfortunately a prohibition against dangerous activities may not have been included in his contract so the team lost on both levels no player and a requirement to pay contractual guarantees.

To me this whole situation is unfortunate as there was little doubt that athletically McDowell seemed an interesting prospect who needed some maturing to occur. His immaturity is what ultimately caused his involvement in the activity which is somewhat extreme and dangerous per se blaming the team for the injury however seem a stretch to me.

The team has had a few unfortunate fails with early draft picks over the years and lost a quality young OT (Chris McIntosh) to a career ending neck injury, there have been others too, this pick was not a bad pick in terms the potential abilities of the player however it works out to being a bad pick b/c they got nothing from the pick except expense. Sometimes you win another times you lose.

Doubt McDowell will ever play again. Time to move on.

Does it? I think not personally.
Combine those flags with the fact they have since changed their draft standards and you have enough evidence of a really poor decision that they have chosen to learn from and avoid happening again.

https://www.mlive.com/spartans/2017/03/nfl_teams_reportedly_not_impre.html

According to a report this week from Yahoo!, multiple NFL teams felt McDowell performed poorly in team interviews. The report quotes one team executive calling McDowell the "worst interview we did." Another called him an "awful interview."

Those impressions, according to the report, came from how McDowell responded to questions about his work ethic and consistency.

"I can't figure out what makes this kid tick," one team member is quoted as saying. "He might be the type who, maybe he falls (in the draft) and it lights a fire under him. I don't know. But I need that light on more often, and he didn't like it when we asked him about that."

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think the NFL should allow reimbursement of Draft Picks when a player doesn't even make it to training camp because of something that they did outside of their contract.

Or at the very least, a comp pick based on the round the player was picked at.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly, flags or not, the team should get some comp back for complete stupidity of the PLAYER. It's not the Hawks' fault he was a jack wagon and did what he did.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
AgentDib":2l0ejnve said:
Here's the thread about McDowell being drafted if anybody would like to go back and see how many posters predicted a career ending ATV incident before he played his first NFL snap. My recollection is that the posters who saw it coming notified everybody just after it happened.

Good reminder that some people just don't think any position besides the OL really matters that much. I'd forgotten how obnoxious this board was during the days of Nash72 spurting menstrual blood all over it.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3siddo4e said:
blah blah blah. Then, a quote:

Those impressions, according to the report, came from how McDowell responded to questions about his work ethic and consistency.

So, questions about his work ethic and consistency. Both things that would affect him in training camp and on the field. In other words, football-related stuff. As opposed to not-football-related stuff. Like the propensity to ride an ATV, presumably without a helmet. Which would never have been considered by teams questioning his work ethic or consistency. Face it, you have no valid point. Which hasn't stopped you from repeating it over and over and over and over and over and over. Ad nauseum. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
He was taken in the 2nd round because of character concerns. He was considered a top-10 talent. You take a chance, it doesn't work, life sucks. Everything else is just hindsight.

Seymour

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2tjr7po5 said:
Seymour":2tjr7po5 said:
blah blah blah. Then, a quote:

Blah, blah, blah.....Ad nauseum. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Yes...I do get your point. "People are afraid of what they do not understand".....The Elephant man. :lol: :lol:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Glad this is over, maybe we can move on at some point? They took a chance, it was a huge swing and miss. It's over and done with. Unfortunately, it clearly had a trickle down on the roster forcing the Hawks to make up for it. I still don't see how the Hawks could have had ANY clue that he would do something so stupid that had zero to do with football.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2kpqskw7 said:
Glad this is over, maybe we can move on at some point? They took a chance, it was a huge swing and miss. It's over and done with. Unfortunately, it clearly had a trickle down on the roster forcing the Hawks to make up for it.

Agree. The less talked about reaction to this with the losses from the Richardson trade also are just now nearing an end to our losses. (2018 2nd round pick and Kearse)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. And they had a track record of success with some guys who had some "red flags" attached to them.
Bruce Irvin, Beast Mode, Frank Clark etc. It's not like they haven't been successful taking a chance on guys.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2nuyw6pl said:
Yes...I do get your point. "People are afraid of what they do not understand".....The Elephant man. :lol: :lol:

What don't I understand? That you're actually prescient? (As long as it happened in the past.)

Chapow

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1r9rpdml said:
No doubt. And they had a track record of success with some guys who had some "red flags" attached to them.
Bruce Irvin, Beast Mode, Frank Clark etc. It's not like they haven't been successful taking a chance on guys.

Exactly.

Which is why I don't get why some people feel the need to continuously rake them over the coals because this one didn't work out.

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. If you're not willing to take the risk though, sure, you're never going to get burned by the McDowell's, but you're also never going to reap the benefits of the Marshawn's, Clark's, and Irvin's.

Seymour

Reaction score
Chapow":kpfkrjli said:
SoulfishHawk":kpfkrjli said:

Exactly.

Which is why I don't get why some people feel the need to continuously rake them over the coals because this one didn't work out.

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. If you're not willing to take the risk though, sure, you're never going to get burned by the McDowell's, but you're also never going to reap the benefits of the Marshawn's, Clark's, and Irvin's.

Possibly because he NEVER even had a shot at playing one down??

How often does that happen?

An epic failure (no matter who's fault) is going to draw an epic reaction. Plain and simple.

Chapow

Reaction score
What do you mean he never even had a shot at playing one down?

He didn't have his accident until after the Seahawks drafted him. At the time he was drafted, pretty much everyone in the world expected him to play many, many downs.

If the signs were so clear and obvious that picking him was a huge mistake and he never even had a shot at playing one down, then why did you post this right after we drafted him?

Seymour":1h2jf3ru said:
Not my first choice, but I think this is a solid impact pick. :2thumbs:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136839&p=2040351&hilit=malik+mcdowell#p2040351

D

DomeHawk

Chapow":2mbxm3pa said:

He didn't have his accident until after the Seahawks drafted him. At the time he was drafted, pretty much everyone in the world expected him to play many, many downs.

If the signs were so clear and obvious that picking him was a huge mistake and he never even had a shot at playing one down, then why did you post this right after we drafted him?

Seymour":2mbxm3pa said:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136839&p=2040351&hilit=malik+mcdowell#p2040351

But he certainly had the "impact" part right.

Seymour

Reaction score
Chapow":1fizrfa3 said:

Seymour":1fizrfa3 said:

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f ... l#p2040351

I'm saying his own stupidity took him out before he got a chance to play.

Yes, my initial reaction minutes after the draft was of one trying to remain positive....sue me I suppose. :roll:

Seymour

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2h3i5lra said:
Chapow":2h3i5lra said:

Seymour":2h3i5lra said:

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f ... l#p2040351

But he certainly had the "impact" part right.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep!! Told you I could predict the future. LMAO! :snack:

Latest posts