Malik McDowell Released

HawkGA

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1j4bjwdf said:
KitsapGuy":1j4bjwdf said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1110273500474822657[/tweet]
I like to think the Seahawks had his best interest in his health that's why they did not believe he is "cleared" to go.

I'm somewhat proud the Seahawks let him go.

The Seahawks don't want to further damage his health, possibly.

Just my opinion.

I still don't understand all of what is going on. I'm hoping you are right that the Seahawks wouldn't clear him because they have higher medical standards. But then of course that raises concerns of why other staffs don't have as high of standards.

kidhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3dp2ppra said:
I don't know, Lynch/Irvin/Clark all came with some red flags. All turned out just fine.

Ditto on the Question from Ivotek, would we get any comp pick? Just curious.
Shoot, at this point, a bag of Onions would be cool. :lol:

Released players aren't counted in the Comp system (IIRC). I believe only UFA who reached the end of their contract count.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, that makes sense. Just like Hawks signing guys who were cut and not having it count against the comp picks.

kidhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3jwdol8r said:
Yeah, that makes sense. Just like Hawks signing guys who were cut and not having it count against the cap.

I assume you mean not counting against the comp picks since all contracts count against the cap.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
It's not clear whether the Seahawks are attempting to recoup a portion or the entirety of the $3.2 million signing bonus they gave McDowell after drafting him 35th overall out of Michigan State. The Seahawks paid McDowell only $5,000 while he spent his rookie season on the non-football injury list. That dropped his salary from $465,000 to $85,000. The team did not pay McDowell while he was on NFI in 2018.

chris98251

Reaction score
Really could give two shits about comp picks concerning this, those are just fluff when it comes to this kid trying to play again for the dollars after suffering a traumatic brain injury. Glad the Seahawks let him go, would be a shame to have let him play with high risk of death or another trauma. Cowboys are intrigued and his agent is trying to say all the right things to get him back in the league. Hope the Jerry Bus would think about the kid instead of the trophy he want's so badly.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
You think that's even possible? The Jerah is pretty self focused and could care two twits about McDowell as long as the Jerah is alright.

Frankly don't care the player destroyed himself and likely his career with his stupidity.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I really do hope that he is legitimately healthy enough to play again and that he doesn't suffer further injury. Best case scenario is that he is actually healthy and goes on to be productive, be it on a football field or off.

kf3339

Reaction score
Makes you wonder who these "independent doctors" are and on who's payroll.......his agent? :shock:

toffee

Reaction score
So it’s the Opinions of Hawks’ docs vs his docs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AgentDib

Reaction score
I hope every single person on this forum understands why it's a good thing that the Seahawks maintain a high standard for medically clearing players. There will always be an incentive for players to hide or downplay injuries to make it to the next big paycheck, so it's the organization that has the responsibility to take a much broader view on the subject of risk.

Individuals like McDowell might get away with effectively collecting pennies from railroad tracks for a relatively short NFL career, but if a team like the Hawks were to make that their business then due to sheer numbers they would eventually have somebody get hit by a train and die. I don't think any of us want that as an eventuality and thus it's very important that the team errs on the side of caution in cases like these.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
HawkGA":1mpmvb80 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":1mpmvb80 said:
KitsapGuy":1mpmvb80 said:
I like to think the Seahawks had his best interest in his health that's why they did not believe he is "cleared" to go.

Just my opinion.

I still don't understand all of what is going on. I'm hoping you are right that the Seahawks wouldn't clear him because they have higher medical standards. But then of course that raises concerns of why other staffs don't have as high of standards.
I also like to think that's why the Seahawks are a respectable/model franchise.

But I don't know....just hoping.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hell of a post Olyfan63. Much respect for your bolded comment. It's a rare thing on a discussion board where anyone concedes a point, or looks at a point of view from a different perspective.

Your post pretty much nails it on the head. I was all for the Malik pick, risk/reward because the reward would have been huge. But it's a lesson learned. People should be more open to opposing opinions on such a topic, as there are valid poionts on both sides. But so many people take the approach of "my opinion is the only valid opinion, and everything else's is ignorance." Which, in and of itself, is ignorance.

Excellent post.

olyfan63":3eeikeau said:
Chapow":3eeikeau said:
olyfan63":3eeikeau said:
The Seahawks ignored massive red flags on McDowell in the heart/desire/work habits area, salivating over his athletic potential.

McDowell was thought of as a guy with high first round talent and athleticism. He never would've been available in the 2nd round without some red flags. Just because they opted to pick McDowell in the draft doesn't mean they ignored the red flags. I think it's much more likely that they were well aware of the red flags but felt that the risk was worth the possible reward than that they simply ignored the red flags.

I think Pete got a lesson in the Harvin fiasco, and again here with McDowell. There is probably a lot that will never be told publicly. Pete did not realize that Harvin was (in my opinion) a Borderline Personality Disordered sociopath, and had no idea the chaos that Harvin would cause here and that dealing with such a situation who is in a position of power (the big contract) was way, way beyond Pete's (or anyone's) ability to turn into a healthy, high-performing situation.

In fairness, I think I have to grant your point that the Seahawks braintrust were highly aware of McDowell's red flags and that Pete and John made the decision to roll the dice for what they believed would be a huge upside.

I have to make that concession because they never got a healthy McDowell into camp to participate in the Seahawks culture, to hopefully be influenced by the great mentors in the environment, by having the structure, and by having to rise to a higher level of competition. They probably felt that once in the Seahawks system, they could help him grow up. Once McDowell did whatever stupid, self-inflicted thing he did to injure himself, he was not the same guy, mentally and emotionally, the Hawks placed their bets on. The injury was a fluky thing, and maybe without the injury, McDowell shows up, competes, develops, and maybe even this year, McDowell is receiving Pro Bowl recognition, but unable to appear due to team SB commitments. Certainly we would have gotten past the Cowboys in the playoffs.

Maybe we just throw up our hands and say, "Shit for luck!" I'm sure Pete, John, and the Front Office have gone over these scenarios again and again to learn the lesson with future picks and contracts and messaging to their high (i.e., signing bonus) draft picks on what activities are not OK and where NFI will cause serious penalties up to and including forfeiture of signing bonuses.

I CAN guarantee you that since the Harvin experience, Pete, John, and the FO have become functional experts on Cluster B personality disorders, (Borderline Personality Disorder, Narcissistic Personality Disorder) and that the team's player acquisition process now explicitly screens for these traits. They brought in Brandon Marshall, a decision I personally liked and agreed with (Marshall is just about the *only* athlete/celebrity with BPD to openly "come out" with his condition, and I admire his courage tremendously. K. Jenner, courage? Ha! B. Marshall, 10x.)

If McDowell had come in healthy, and developed, his pass rush and DL play would have been a huge difference-maker for the team. So it's hard to fault PC/JS/FO for rolling the dice. I just hope they have internalized the right lesson. We do want them to stay aggressive and not go all Tim Ruskell on us and only be bringing in all these character-guys-with-no-talent. The biggest loss isn't the money, it's getting precisely zilch out of a 2nd round draft slot that should have been a team-booster. Not every 2nd rounder is a Bobby Wagner, but Frank Clark has been a fantastic 2nd round pickup as well.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Listening to 710, it was his agent, Drew Barrymore? That said he was medically cleared. Agents will find a quack that says he is medically cleared, but if Dallas doesn't sign him, that kid is/has screwed (himself). And I will chuckle mirthlessly. :twisted:

I'll bet he's going along with his agent's recommendation, in order to squeeze more STUPID money out of an NFL Franchise. Even signing a minimum contract is probably more money (and more free medical treatment), than I'll ever see in my life.

I think Malik McDowell is a Selfish Prick and in no way deserves a career in the NFL.

TheLegendOfBoom":374k7pxr said:
KitsapGuy":374k7pxr said:

Just my opinion.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I found Pete's response to news of McDowell's alleged clearance by a doctor amusing. As we know the news of the medical clearance is coming from Drew Rosenhouse (?sp) his agent.

Pete's response: "Which Doctor, Dr. Drew?"

chris98251

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3vs79x89 said:
I found Pete's response to news of McDowell's alleged clearance by a doctor amusing. As we know the news of the medical clearance is coming from Drew Rosenhouse (?sp) his agent.

Pete's response: "Which Doctor, Dr. Drew?"

Should that not read WItch Doctor?

Latest posts