Malik McDowell Released

brimsalabim

Reaction score
There are two situations when you take a chance.... When you can afford to .....and when you can't afford not to. I believe we were in the second group. We couldn't afford what we needed to get.

olyfan63

Reaction score
brimsalabim":h0ns22s0 said:
There are two situations when you take a chance.... When you can afford to .....and when you can't afford not to. I believe we were in the second group. We couldn't afford what we needed to get.

Nice quick analysis. We can all be a sucker for an apparent bargain on something we want and NEED, and legit pass-rusher+run-stuffer DT is truly a rare and precious beast in the NFL.

From: https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattufford ... t-fallout/
"Taken as a whole, McDowell's selection and subsequent absence have cost the Seahawks three consecutive second-round picks, a third-round pick, a hole on the defensive line that has now been plugged twice with one-year stopgaps, depth on the offensive line in 2017, and depth in the wide receiver corps in 2018."

Damn good thing we've hit on a few 5th (Tre Flowers+) and 7th rounders (Chris Carson+) and UDFAs and some cheap veteran FAs that have outplayed their contracts. (B. McDougald, J. Coleman,+)
Between the Harvin fiasco, and McDowell, that's a lot, lot of draft talent this team could have. Not to mention Jimmy Graham. Then Solari comes in and gives us back some draft picks on our OL, by fixing the coaching issues, so thank God for that; we'd be lost without it.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
kf3339":16cslsug said:
To think they could have taken TJ Watt with their original pick and we wouldn't be sitting here wondering who was going to play opposite of Frank Clark on passing downs. Think about that for a moment.

Or even Budda Baker with the 35th pick.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
McDowell might be one of the biggest oddities in Seahawks history. Everyone was saying he was a potential steal, that if he were consistent, he would have been a top 10 pick. Then he gets into an ATV accident, and we never really hear the full details. It obviously had to have been a traumatic head injury, so I assumed his playing days were over. Then I hear that he gets released but still wants to play, so this tells me there's a chance he might be cleared to play, if so, why wouldn't they keep him? Pete Carroll was vague as he usually is with the whole situation, I don't remember him ever giving the fans a real update on him.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
You know the team simply is not allowed to talk about the health of any of their players, otherwise don't you think we'd know the real story on McDowell? One day we may find out the whole story but for now this prima donna is given another chance based upon his potential physical abilities which so intrigued the Seahawks.

Frankly let Dallas or some other foolish team pay him for doing zippo so they can have the opportunity to bet on his recovery which the Hawks were required to fund. He will disappoint b/c he hides behind his rights rather than steps up and acknowledges his limitations and then fights to overcome them. I doubt he will ever succeed as an NFL player, he hasn't got it in him, just another coddled athlete with self importance/entitlement issues. To me he was simply a failed pick who created his own reason for not being able to play here or perhaps ever again, he took an already recognized 50 cent head and turned it into a 5 cent head. I'd want to write a head injury waiver into any contract he ever signs going forward.

He's no longer a Seahawks player and to me good riddance. C'Ya.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I hope Dallas gets excited about the measureables and signs him to a big contract! What a P.O.S.

Question, would we be eligible for a comp pick if Dallas signs him?

I wish the NFL would give comp picks to teams who never get to play a draft pick because of an injury that the draft pick got outside of football.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Didn't he also have an incident in a bar while he was "recovering"

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Ans: Yes, and it reflected very badly upon him and showed his lack of character.

ivotuk

Reaction score
olyfan63":153qav7a said:
XxXdragonXxX":153qav7a said:
Father Flanagan Pete Carroll, even you have limits on the reclamation projects you can be successful with. Protect the team.

So much THIS!

Pete, ENOUGH thinking you can reclaim any person. You have FAILED every time and cost this team. You should have learned with Aron Curry that you can't reclaim some people. But instead we have Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham, Malik McDowell, Blair Walsh, SeaBass, etc. etc

chris98251

Reaction score
ivotuk":sfxqe5f1 said:
olyfan63":sfxqe5f1 said:
XxXdragonXxX":sfxqe5f1 said:
Father Flanagan Pete Carroll, even you have limits on the reclamation projects you can be successful with. Protect the team.

So much THIS!

Pete, ENOUGH thinking you can reclaim any person. You have FAILED every time and cost this team. You should have learned with Aron Curry that you can't reclaim some people. But instead we have Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham, Malik McDowell, Blair Walsh, SeaBass, etc. etc

Really you can't fix stupid or motivate guys that don't want to be motivated.

kobebryant

Reaction score
jammerhawk":rmr9xjet said:
he hides behind his rights rather than steps up and acknowledges his limitations and then fights to overcome them.

What do you mean by that?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ivotuk":72mq6rb9 said:
olyfan63":72mq6rb9 said:
XxXdragonXxX":72mq6rb9 said:

So much THIS!

...Marshawn Lynch...

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1n522j8v said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1110273500474822657[/tweet]
I like to think the Seahawks had his best interest in his health that's why they did not believe he is "cleared" to go.

I'm somewhat proud the Seahawks let him go.

The Seahawks don't want to further damage his health, possibly.

Just my opinion.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't know, Lynch/Irvin/Clark all came with some red flags. All turned out just fine.

Ditto on the Question from Ivotek, would we get any comp pick? Just curious.
Shoot, at this point, a bag of Onions would be cool. :lol: