Marshawn Lynch reports to training camp (updated)

Tokadub

Reaction score
YES!!! This is awesome news! I instantly feel so much better about the Seahawks going forward what a relief. The team just wasn't the same without Lynch, he really defines our offensive identity.

I still expect us to try to get Christine Michael a lot more involved next season, but with these concessions for Lynch I think he'll be happy anyways.

Not to float my own boat, but 5 days ago I had a pretty nice prediction for how we could resolve this situation. At least it's closer than anything I heard or read about it. Just thought I should repost since so many people here think everything I say is crazy ;)

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94275

Tokadub":3er9oa12 said:
2) We want to win another Super Bowl. If we are sensing that we NEED Lynch and that my option 1 is significantly less likely to win a Super Bowl... well then in my opinion we gotta make Lynch happy.

Lynch has a 2 million dollar roster bonus for next season. That's probably the money he's looking at and getting kinda pissed about if he thinks he will be cut next season like so many of us suspect. So I think we could add $500,000 of his 2015 roster bonus to his 2014 Salary. And then another $1,000,000 could be set aside for Lynch this season as financial incentives but we'd need to make it really hard to get like Lynch having a career year. Stuff like 5 yards per carry, no fumbles, Super Bowl Victory, X amount of yards for the season could each be $250,000 of his incentives.

Essentially Lynch would need to have a career year to get the $1,000,000 incentives, and we'd give him $500,000 more straight up.

If Lynch did have an incredible year suddenly his contract next year may be slightly more realistic for us to keep him since it'd be $1,500,000 less, and if Lynch is coming off a career year then why would we cut him in 2015? Should be a win-win scenario.

Sounds like my hypothetical solution was almost identical to what actually happened? Only difference was they were even more generous with giving him the $1,000,000 incentives up front. I didn't think they would be that nice but it makes a lot of sense if we are going to try to get Christine Michael up to speed for the NFL. Lynch's previous 1500 yard $500,000 incentive would be impossible with Christine Michael taking a lot of carries.

All in all I like this deal a lot and am very happy with this solution.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Don't think this could have gone any better for us. Lynch is happy now. Turbin/Michael got the load of the reps for the first week of camp. Now just get him conditioned for the season and we are set.

:th2thumbs:

Sherman4Prez

Reaction score
Seahawks call his bluff. They're not really giving him anything he wouldn't have made already. He may moap around around throughout the season a bit, but that won't effect him on the field. He will be a beast.

On a side note, Seahawks were nieve if they really thought Christine Michael could replace him. He's not Lynch but he's good. They stuck to their guns and came out ahead, well played.

Seahawks 1
Lynch 0

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Sherman4Prez":zhqwtli1 said:
Seahawks call his bluff. They're not really giving him anything he wouldn't have made already. He may moap around around throughout the season a bit, but that won't effect him on the field. He will be a beast.

On a side note, Seahawks were nieve if they really thought Christine Michael could replace him. He's not Lynch but he's good. They stuck to their guns and came out ahead, well played.

Seahawks 1
Lynch 0

Was it a bluff? Lynch knows that if he gets too old and expensive, they will release him. He got some of his 2015 money. Seems like both sides benefited, if you ask me.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Tokadub":2p0ddyej said:
YES!!! This is awesome news! I instantly feel so much better about the Seahawks going forward what a relief. The team just wasn't the same without Lynch, he really defines our offensive identity.

I still expect us to try to get Christine Michael a lot more involved next season, but with these concessions for Lynch I think he'll be happy anyways.

Not to float my own boat, but 5 days ago I had a pretty nice prediction for how we could resolve this situation. At least it's closer than anything I heard or read about it. Just thought I should repost since so many people here think everything I say is crazy ;)

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94275

Tokadub":2p0ddyej said:
2) We want to win another Super Bowl. If we are sensing that we NEED Lynch and that my option 1 is significantly less likely to win a Super Bowl... well then in my opinion we gotta make Lynch happy.

Lynch has a 2 million dollar roster bonus for next season. That's probably the money he's looking at and getting kinda pissed about if he thinks he will be cut next season like so many of us suspect. So I think we could add $500,000 of his 2015 roster bonus to his 2014 Salary. And then another $1,000,000 could be set aside for Lynch this season as financial incentives but we'd need to make it really hard to get like Lynch having a career year. Stuff like 5 yards per carry, no fumbles, Super Bowl Victory, X amount of yards for the season could each be $250,000 of his incentives.

Essentially Lynch would need to have a career year to get the $1,000,000 incentives, and we'd give him $500,000 more straight up.

If Lynch did have an incredible year suddenly his contract next year may be slightly more realistic for us to keep him since it'd be $1,500,000 less, and if Lynch is coming off a career year then why would we cut him in 2015? Should be a win-win scenario.

Sounds like my hypothetical solution was almost identical to what actually happened? Only difference was they were even more generous with giving him the $1,000,000 incentives up front. I didn't think they would be that nice but it makes a lot of sense if we are going to try to get Christine Michael up to speed for the NFL. Lynch's previous 1500 yard $500,000 incentive would be impossible with Christine Michael taking a lot of carries.

All in all I like this deal a lot and am very happy with this solution.

This is what I've been saying since day 1. Our O line has been shaky for damn near a decade. I have a hunch when Marshawn signed his deal, he thought linemen were on the way. I doubt he thought we'd draft a bunch of backs. REAL happy this is behind us and I hope ML has a year that will retire him a Hawk and a 2 time champ.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3coadg2u said:
kidhawk":3coadg2u said:
Seahawk Sailor":3coadg2u said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/494989329341906944[/tweet]

Are you trying to say that they moved some money forward? but but but I thought that was never going to happen???
How will we ever trust the smug Internet warrior again?

I'm not sure but I do know I'm enjoying the silence that's comes along with being wrong...and not only wrong... but th type of wrong after patting yourself on the back for being right.

#NoHumilityForTheSmug

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Cracks me up how many people were on this guy like he was doing something horrible. Oh the horror, a football player held out :roll:

Welcome back Beast, time to get another ring.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
A write up on BR claims Beast was asking for more than double his salary this season and was offered the increase he ended up getting before he went on strike. A guess it doesn't hurt to ask but I bet his end goal was to miss a little camp with out paying those fines.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kidhawk":jah89d2q said:
Seahawk Sailor":jah89d2q said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/494989329341906944[/tweet]

Are you trying to say that they moved some money forward? but but but I thought that was never going to happen???

LOL

:snack:

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
brimsalabim":decrogrl said:
A write up on BR claims Beast was asking for more than double his salary this season and was offered the increase he ended up getting before he went on strike. A guess it doesn't hurt to ask but I bet his end goal was to miss a little camp with out paying those fines.
LOL Bleacher Report

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Diezel Dawg":2yz0xfjr said:
brimsalabim":2yz0xfjr said:
LOL Bleacher Report

Something similar reported by ESPN.

RENTON, Wash. -- Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch wanted $5 million more this season than the concessions he received on his contract before ending his eight-day holdout Thursday, sources confirmed Friday.

The additional $1.5 million Lynch was given, bumping his guaranteed compensation from $5 million to $6.5 million this season, was offered to Lynch in May after he first made team officials aware that he wanted more money. The offer never changed.

Lynch also was told earlier this week that fines for the time he missed in training camp would be imposed if he did not report by the end of the week.

The running back had accumulated nearly $500,000 in team fines for his absence through Thursday. A team source said Friday that whether Lynch must pay that fine remains unresolved. A source close to Lynch, however, said Thursday that the running back would not have to pay it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11296 ... ore-season

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Meh, that's being reported by Terry Blount who has been wrong on everything he has said about this situation since the beginning and who also seems to have it out for BeastMode for whatever reason. Even if he did ask for $5 million more, so what? It's called negotiation. You don't start with what you expect to get.

Anyway, I don't give credence to anything that comes out of Blount's mouth. If he is ever the first person to report something accurately about the Seahawks, then it'll be the very first time.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
DavidSeven":xd1x87hg said:
Meh, that's being reported by Terry Blount who has been wrong on everything he has said about this situation since the beginning and who also seems to have it out for BeastMode for whatever reason. Even if he did ask for $5 million more, so what? It's called negotiation. You don't start with what you expect to get.

Anyway, I don't give credence to anything that comes out of Blount's mouth. If he is ever the first person to report something accurately about the Seahawks, then it'll be the very first time.

If Beast started there, it was was a wise negotiating move. It's called the anchoring effect. Start high and negotiations will tend to keep that offer in mind, however subconsciously. See also: the MSRP of a new car

dunceface

Reaction score
I have so many favorites but Lynch has to be my FAVORITE favorite