Marshawn Lynch reports to training camp (updated)

byau

Reaction score
Love it.

Some thoughts

* Tough one, you can easily see both sides.

* Marshawn is a huge key to this offense - more important than Wilson? You could make that argument.

* At the same time, the front office needs to set their precedents and keep the future in mind (see: Wilson)

* At the same time, do you think Marshawn ever expected a new contract? Something tells me he wasn't surprised, but felt the need to be heard and plant seeds - and everyone heard him loud and clear, much louder than if he had not held out

* Just because we think we can get on without Marshawn, does not mean we want him gone. For everyone who thought we could get on without Marshawn if we had to, I bet if you ask any of them they would say they would rather have Marshawn on the team.

* I seriously hope the Hawks do good by him in some way, he definitely is a cornerstone of the team.

and

* WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

taco40

Reaction score
Hawknballs":24jcft7c said:
mike rob said he was holding out, now mike rob says he's on his way to the VMAC - i trust mike rob. Obviously the team isn't going to say anything till he arrives and chats and makes it official.

Funny thing about that is the team did post something about it on their facebook page, but only briefly. I happened to be looking through that horrible site and saw the announcement. Did a search on google to read about it. By the time I got back to facebook, it was gone.

I STILL think he doesn't like training camp and found a way to NOT be there for a while. :les:

grizbob

Reaction score
:sarcasm_on: Dammit!!! I was so looking forward to a .net meltdown :sarcasm_off:

Now in real life :th2thumbs: :thirishdrinkers: :0190l: :3: :180670:

Hawkboi

Reaction score
It's all over the place that he reported to Training Camp..... This is a Beast of the moment.... Welcome back Marshawn, we missed you!!! :thirishdrinkers:

bigskydoc

Reaction score
:stirthepot:

It would be interesting if the concessions the team made have something to do with keeping him beyond next year. He indicated through MROB that he really missed his team-mates during the hold out and it may have dawned on him just how lonely retirement will be.

You could have a situation where they reduce the contract for 2015 but he will actually get more money than if they leave the contract as it is and cut him at the end of this season (which is what is almost certain to happen given the current contract). Unless he can finagle a trade, he won't be seeing any of that final year income so you could redo the contract to a lower number, but a number that he can actually have some expectation of receiving.

- bsd

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3jyytea9 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/494989329341906944[/tweet]

Are you trying to say that they moved some money forward? but but but I thought that was never going to happen???

DavidSeven

Reaction score
They essentially guaranteed his incentive bonuses for 2014 and also moved $500,000 from 2015 to this year. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Details from PFT:

Under Lynch’s previous contract, he was due to make a $5 million base salary this year, plus $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses, and he could have earned another $500,000 in incentives if he had rushed for 1,500 yards. Now Lynch gets a base salary of $6 million (meaning the Seahawks effectively guaranteed the $1 million he previously would have had to earn), plus they’re taking $500,000 that he had been scheduled to get paid in 2015 and giving it to him now instead. In all, Lynch will make $6.5 million this year.

Edit: they're NOT going after the fine money either.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Championship! (No, I'm serious this time.) :thirishdrinkers: :mrgreen: :0190l: :179422: :179417:

kidhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1tzezss2 said:
They essentially guaranteed his incentive bonuses for 2014 and also moved $500,000 from 2015 to this year. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Details from PFT:

Under Lynch’s previous contract, he was due to make a $5 million base salary this year, plus $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses, and he could have earned another $500,000 in incentives if he had rushed for 1,500 yards. Now Lynch gets a base salary of $6 million (meaning the Seahawks effectively guaranteed the $1 million he previously would have had to earn), plus they’re taking $500,000 that he had been scheduled to get paid in 2015 and giving it to him now instead. In all, Lynch will make $6.5 million this year.

Edit: they're NOT going after the fine money either.

This seems like the type of scenario many figured would happen to keep both sides happy. It's a fair compromise and we can all move forward now and onto the focus of football

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
How many days did Clayton say it would be until he reported about 5 days ago. Was it 5? IIRC, it was. Spot on this time John. Good for you.

Quite a few of us said he'd be back with more attainable incentives that would pay better and I'm sticking to that as the pot sweetener.

VERY happy you're back Marshawn. Now let's get to the business of defending the title. Go Hawks!

Laloosh

Reaction score
Article 2498007 1955D69800000578 716 634x421
Lynch stiff arm willis
2022470056.jpg

2019607983.jpg

[youtube]vxfONzYkPEA[/youtube]

All is right with the world again...

Riley12

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2hrjziqi said:
I still think he needed more time to finish his movie.

Nailed it! That was my thought too - getting all of that coverage can be tedious.

oasis

Reaction score
First Clem holds out and wins $, then Lynch. Why do I feel like I'm the only one concerned with a bad precedent by the FO?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
oasis":1kvgq8hz said:
First Clem holds out and wins $, then Lynch. Why do I feel like I'm the only one concerned with a bad precedent by the FO?

They aren't giving Lynch any new money, they are basically just guaranteeing his bonuses for next year.

I don't have a problem with it. A bad precedent would be to give Lynch a big raise with new money to make him paid among the top 3 RBs or something. They are just moving around money in his current contract, and it's not more than $1 million of it.

If any other player tries this, the FO can just say "but you aren't Marshawn Lynch."

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Yea, this does not set a bad precedent; quite the opposite I think. It tells players that if they're over-performing, the team is willing to work with them, offer them some consessions. What it doesn't say is that we'll bend over backward and offer them the moon like the old regime did with Shaun Alexander in a very similar time in his career.

This is absolutely good for both the Seahawks organization and the players.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
I'm convinced that this was 10% about more money, and 90% about extending his summer vacation (knowing that the Hawks weren't going to go draconian on him by letting the fines stand).

He would have reported eventually even if they didn't bump up the salary. Good result all around.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Jim Trotter had tweeted previously that the Hawks were willing to "reconfigure" Marshawn's contract, they just didn't want to add money onto it and set a bad precedent. If what we're hearing is true, that's pretty much the way things ended up. They guaranteed some or all of what previously was written as incentive money and moved some from next year to this year. But overall, the total dollar amounts (on paper) didn't actually change--the guaranteed part did.

Here's that original tweet by Trotter: https://twitter.com/JimTrotter_NFL/stat ... 4747522049

Latest posts