Michael Bowie on IR

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Jville":3ji4tf2b said:
By the way Carroll mentioned that Jesse Williams injured his good knee ... not the one that was repaired and rehabbed.

I still can't get my head around the Williams thing. Seriously bummed. Regardless, it's not a pick I'm upset with. The upside was well worth the dice roll, imo.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
kearly":2dbi0e40 said:
DavidSeven":2dbi0e40 said:
Might want to change the title. He was waived/injured, not IR'ed.

Oh wow. They are giving up on Bowie just like that?

Scotte was right. The "Wally Pipp" comments Pete made a few days ago were pretty damning.

I'm sure he won't care. He's a Seattle castoff and he showed enough last year: he'll get another chance somewhere.

Still sucks though.

Seafan

Reaction score
Waived injured means there is an outside chance of returning. IR you are done unless you are the one exception each season. Surgery though doesn't look good.

HawkWow

Reaction score
kearly":1nrftnni said:
DavidSeven":1nrftnni said:

Scotte was right. The "Wally Pipp" comments Pete made a few days ago were pretty damning.

You know Pete, Kearly. 2 years in a row Bowie reports unfit to compete. Can't see Pete tolerating that madness. Bowie is officially the anti-Pete. Just glad we got our money's worth out of him.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
kearly":giinbahh said:
DavidSeven":giinbahh said:

Don't you have to waive a player to place on the IR?

Hawkfiend

Reaction score
HawkWow":thbf6d7k said:
Hawkfiend":thbf6d7k said:
jake206":thbf6d7k said:
OL depth is shot...not good going into season. Back to square 1 for offensive pass protection. I'm afraid to say it, but, RW is going to get sacked alot. :pukeface:

It's one guy, we'll be fine. I'd be much more worried if I was a 49er's fan right now, they have major contributors dropping like flies.

We sure weren't fine last year. But I love your optimism just the same.

The Hawks were without 2 Pro Bowl OL last year (and Breno) for extended periods of time and still won the Super Bowl. Losing Bowie sucks but he was already on notice for showing up to spring out of shape, which makes me question his work ethic.

drdiags

Reaction score
Bowie is a guy the team took a 7th round flyer on with some off-field questions. Sometimes it takes a kick in the pants to grow-up and become a professional. Would hope this injury wasn't so much about not putting in the off-season work, but if it is, he is wasting his talents. The RT job was his for the taking. He will be kicking himself in a few years if he misses his big chance.

Though our FO/Scouts are good at finding players with an edge, they still turn up folks that lack motivation like Moffitt and a couple others.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Waive/injured means he passes through the waiver wire but will be put on Seattle's IR if no one picks him up. He won't play for Seattle this season, but there's a fair chance they retain his rights.

We can speculate on why they'd risk exposing him to the waiver wire, though. Other players (Jesse, Anthony) were simply IR'ed.

General Manager

Reaction score
DavidSeven":mym3bj7e said:
Waive/injured means he passes through the waiver wire but will be put on Seattle's IR if no one picks him up. He won't play for Seattle this season, but there's a fair chance they retain his rights.

We can speculate on why they'd risk exposing him to the waiver wire, though. Other players (Jesse, Anthony) were simply IR'ed.

Yep you can forget about them for this season It's also highly doubtful any of them are on the final roster .

HawkWow

Reaction score
Hawkfiend":2aq2w8b5 said:
HawkWow":2aq2w8b5 said:
Hawkfiend":2aq2w8b5 said:
jake206":2aq2w8b5 said:
OL depth is shot...not good going into season. Back to square 1 for offensive pass protection. I'm afraid to say it, but, RW is going to get sacked alot. :pukeface:

It's one guy, we'll be fine. I'd be much more worried if I was a 49er's fan right now, they have major contributors dropping like flies.

We sure weren't fine last year. But I love your optimism just the same.

The Hawks were without 2 Pro Bowl OL last year (and Breno) for extended periods of time and still won the Super Bowl. Losing Bowie sucks but he was already on notice for showing up to spring out of shape, which makes me question his work ethic.

True. But Breno aside (and gone) what happens if we lose those players again this year? When was the last time Okung played a full season? Was Unger really worthy of the pro bowl? Has he lost a step or was he dinged? there are questions and fortunately those guys didn't play defense or the year would have likely played out much differently.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
What in the hell is it with the Seattle Seahawks and offensive line injuries?

I think witchcraft is real, and Steve Hutchinson cursed our line forevermore.

Hawkfiend

Reaction score
HawkWow -

Hawk fans seem to have this conversation every year since Hutch left. If the coaches were that worried about the line they would've drafted an OL early instead of going with Richardson or addressed the need during free agency. The Hawks seem to get banged up every year on the OL and end up doing just fine because they have a great coach in Tom Cable who finds talent in the scrap heap and coaches them up. Unger was worthy of the Pro Bowl a couple of years ago but he was really banged up last year, which led to a decline. All the reports I've read on Unger this year say he looks healthier and better than last year. If more injuries happen on the OL I'll start to get worried but I have all the faith in the world that John, Pete and Tom will figure it out if things get rough.

hawk45

Reaction score
My theory is the the whiffs on higher-drafted OL (Carp not a complete whiff yet but disappointing in terms of draft position surely) have made JS figure if they're going to whiff they'll do it with less draft capital. That and the lack of obvious OL locks where they were drafting?

But I do not interpret failure to reach for OL as lack of concern for the squad.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Really don't like seeing all these injuries this early.......not a good sign. Britt and Winston have to step up now!

hawknation2014

Reaction score
This is a low point of the off season. Looks like it's Eric Winston's job to lose. If he struggles or goes down, then you roll the dice with the rookie Justin Britt.

It may have also secured rookie Garry Gilliam a potential roster spot as the ninth linemen.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Well there's a couple of good things about Winston:

he seems to have talent. He's played well before, he just wasn't a good fit in AZ.

He's experienced. That's what we need on this line.

He's durable. 119 consecutive starts. IMO this is the biggest asset he brings to our squad. Even if he doesn't end up going back to his Houston form, we'll know what to expect out of the position each and every week.

he doesn't have to block Kam Chancellor anymore, outside of practice. 8)

It doesn't surprise me that they released Bowie. Coming to camp out of shape probably attributed to his injury. This seems to be a pattern of behavior with him, and it's not a good sign when he comes into camp the front runner for a spot and flops like this.

I'm actually more confident in our RT position this year than last year. Winston will probably end up being about the same as Breno, but we have quality depth there now (I think Britt is better than Bowie is).

I don't seem them trying Bailey out at RT. He's going to stay at LT and back up Okung. If history repeats itself, he'll get playing time for sure. I honestly think Bailey is our long term replacment plan for Okung and all the reps he can get at the position are only going to help him.

warden

Reaction score
I saw Bowie with his jersey on out with his unit at training camp today. He was not in pads but neither was Carp or Okung.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
DavidSeven":30tj83tv said:

Another team could pick him up in theory.

Thanks for posting that as I went with the OP stating Bowie was I'rd. No sweat.
My read on this is the team wouldn't drop a promising prospect unless they felt it was time to move on. I was hoping Bowie would be a solid backup if not a starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.