jake206

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/496052388227465216[/tweet]

TXHawk

Reaction score
kearly":14wt1lei said:
I just saw this posted from a few minutes ago, might explain things a bit:

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... d-process/

Basically, if you IR a player with less than 4 years NFL experience before the first cutdown (75 players) date, you must put him on waivers first.

When they IR'd McCoy and Williams, they kept them on the 90 man roster and will continue to do so until August 26th when the first cutdown happens and they can remove them from the roster at that time.

By using the waive/injured method for Bowie now, the benefit is that it frees a roster spot today, rather than 3 weeks from now. So there is *SOME* tangible benefit to an NFL team for using this method.

NorthDallas40oz":14wt1lei said:
If they'd put him on I.R. straight away, they'd owe him every penny of his 2014 salary (which would continue to count against the Hawks' 2014 salary cap as well).

According to the Times article above, if Bowie clears waivers and is put on IR he'd be like any other IR'd player, the team would still have to pay his salary. If the team wants to avoid paying his salary the only way to do that is to release him completely after the waiver period ends.

If Pete doubts Bowie is part of their future, release could be a viable option. Unless the injury settlement counts against the cap (The team says Bowie would miss 4-6 MONTHS which would mean his settlement would be for 16 game checks). If settlements do count against the cap then there would be basically no savings, and IR would be the smart move.

So basically the only benefit of waiving him rather than putting him directly on the IR is that it opens up a spot on the 90 man roster. That doesn't seem worth the risk of losing him unless they are trying to send the message to him and others that the "Always Compete" mantra isn't just an empty phrase and not putting in the offseason work necessary to get ready for training camp is a good way to punch your ticket out of town.

TXHawk

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":1s4rz0fb said:
Sounds like Bowie is on his way to Cleveland.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... f-waivers/

@73likebo: Much love to the Seahawks and the 12's, I had the best rookie year I could ask for and played with some great athletes and leaders!

There had to be more going on than the injury for them to expose him to the waiver wire just to clear a spot on the 90 man roster. I suspect his lack of conditioning played a role in the injury or at least left him more vulnerable to injury.

People talk about how Carroll is a rah rah players coach but he's actually pretty ruthless about cutting loose players he doesn't think are fully committed to the program. I think that's what just happened to Bowie.

warden

Reaction score
TXHawk":14upus3m said:
Shadowhawk":14upus3m said:
Sounds like Bowie is on his way to Cleveland.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... f-waivers/

@73likebo: Much love to the Seahawks and the 12's, I had the best rookie year I could ask for and played with some great athletes and leaders!

There had to be more going on than the injury for them to expose him to the waiver wire just to clear a spot on the 90 man roster. I suspect his lack of conditioning played a role in the injury or at least left him more vulnerable to injury.

People talk about how Carroll is a rah rah players coach but he's actually pretty ruthless about cutting loose players he doesn't think are fully committed to the program. I think that's what just happened to Bowie.

Agreed. Pete is not soft

RobBaker7714409

Reaction score
Well it's also more fair to the player. If he's truly not done for the year, it's better for him not to go to IR.

Jville

Reaction score
An explaination from Curtis Crabtree on the KJR web site >>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/articles/seattle-seahawks-289737/t-michael-bowie-claimed-off-waivers-12630950/[/urltargetblank]
Seattle has several players nursing injuries through training camp and probably felt they needed to utilize the roster spot with someone that could actually practice. The Seahawks claimed tackle Cory Brandon off waivers from the Arizona Cardinals to fill Bowie's roster spot on Saturday.

Read more: http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/articles/ ... z39NIQByTR

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Jville":3q7u2n2d said:
An explaination from Curtis Crabtree on the KJR web site >>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/articles/seattle-seahawks-289737/t-michael-bowie-claimed-off-waivers-12630950/[/urltargetblank]
Seattle has several players nursing injuries through training camp and probably felt they needed to utilize the roster spot with someone that could actually practice. The Seahawks claimed tackle Cory Brandon off waivers from the Arizona Cardinals to fill Bowie's roster spot on Saturday.

Read more: http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/articles/ ... z39NIQByTR
This was a warning from the organization to everybody to not even think about coming in overweight to camp. Good riddance you are banished to Cleveland..

had2bhawk

Reaction score
:shock:
RolandDeschain":1s2h9bh4 said:
What in the hell is it with the Seattle Seahawks and offensive line injuries?

I think witchcraft is real, and Steve Hutchinson cursed our line forevermore.

My God! You read my mind :roll:

General Manager

Reaction score
I'm clear on most of it except if Williams is on IR but does not make the final 53 does Seattle still retain his rights for this season or can another team claim him.

Jville

Reaction score
General Manager":1l7s5gfj said:
I'm clear on most of it except if Williams is on IR but does not make the final 53 does Seattle still retain his rights for this season or can another team claim him.

Once he made it to the IR list, Williams became protected. Those that are on IR do not count against the final 53.

General Manager

Reaction score
Jville":z3btf8rb said:
General Manager":z3btf8rb said:

Once he made it to the IR list, Williams became protected. Those that are on IR do not count against the final 53.

And you can keep one guy on that IR list that can come back after week 8.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Kinda bummed that we just lost him completely. Wonder if it would've been worth keeping him on the 90 to protect his rights.

Jville

Reaction score
DavidSeven":15uvwiog said:
Kinda bummed that we just lost him completely. Wonder if it would've been worth keeping him on the 90 to protect his rights.

Apparently not ...... In the eyes of the decision makers.

There are other NFL coaches around the league voicing their displeasure in the conditioning of some of their linemen. It's league wide. Perhaps it takes a second or third voice/opportunity before some players believe it.

I don't believe this is a make or break outcome ..... either short term or long term.

chris98251

Reaction score
They picked him up but it's early, if injured they could waive him also. Could bounce back if we don't find a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts