MNF - Patriots @ Panthers

Natethegreat

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":ez4tbsf0 said:
Natethegreat":ez4tbsf0 said:
KCHawkGirl":ez4tbsf0 said:
At least Brady showed some class in his presser even though he was pissed big time.
He had a total lack of class after the game. I wonder if he gets fined for following the refs into the tunnel screaming at them.

Don't even blame him, how are you goona throw a flag, and then replays show blatant defensive holding/arguable PI, then just pick up the flag as a ref and say "the game is over". At least explain what you thought you threw the flag for and not just tell everyone to go home.
It doesn't matter if you agree with a call or not. Nor does it matter if you are really ticked off. You are expected to act like a professional not like a whiny little three year old throwing a tantrum. I bet he gets fined for it and rightly so.
Let me ask you this. Do you think Russel Wilson would act that way?

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2k7hw7eu said:
dontbelikethat":2k7hw7eu said:
Natethegreat":2k7hw7eu said:
KCHawkGirl":2k7hw7eu said:
At least Brady showed some class in his presser even though he was pissed big time.
He had a total lack of class after the game. I wonder if he gets fined for following the refs into the tunnel screaming at them.

Don't even blame him, how are you goona throw a flag, and then replays show blatant defensive holding/arguable PI, then just pick up the flag as a ref and say "the game is over". At least explain what you thought you threw the flag for and not just tell everyone to go home.
It doesn't matter if you agree with a call or not. Nor does it matter if you are really ticked off. You are expected to act like a professional not like a whiny little three year old throwing a tantrum. I bet he gets fined for it and rightly so.

We should bet on this, cause Brady isn't getting fined for that unless it comes out that he was threatening the ref or something absurd.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Wether he gets fined or reprimanded or whatever I guarantee it won't go unnoticed. I believe Belicheck was fined for it last year if I'm not mistaken.

Polaris

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":ivdzgncs said:
HawkFan72":ivdzgncs said:
therealjohncarlson":ivdzgncs said:
1456768_2267520287777_810473633_n.jpg

Hard to argue with that. That's a penalty all the way.

Like many have stated, it's clear defensive holding, which means the Pats got robbed of a penalty, but everyone is still arguing over a PI. No real horse in this race, but what should've been called, should have been called.

This was a Hail Mary situation and defensive holding flags, PIs, and the such are by very long and strong tradition not thrown in this case (lest a penalty decide the game). We of all people have experience with that with the so-called "Fail Mary" where the Replacement Ref flat out said that they were instructed not to throw a flag in such a case. IMHO the backjudge tried to singlehandely save the game for Prince Brady and the Head Ref said, "No way" and then found a plausible (or at least plausible enough) reason to pocket the flag.

Brady knew this and he whined anyway. Bad job on him.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
All he did was say "This is F_____ bull" after a really emotional ending. Whats the big deal? seriously

253hawk

Reaction score
RoCLfLq

In the ref's defense it's better to throw the flag because they can always be overruled by the FJ and pick it up. But they can't throw it out there after the play is over.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1648sxnb said:
dontbelikethat":1648sxnb said:
Natethegreat":1648sxnb said:
KCHawkGirl":1648sxnb said:

How is Wilson even relevant to the subject? Yeah he'll probably get in some trouble for going up to the ref, and I'm not saying whether what he did was okay or not, just saying I understand where he's coming from and why he's doing it.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Polaris":3k79b65n said:
dontbelikethat":3k79b65n said:
HawkFan72":3k79b65n said:
therealjohncarlson":3k79b65n said:

Like many have stated, it's clear defensive holding, which means the Pats got robbed of a penalty, but everyone is still arguing over a PI. No real horse in this race, but what should've been called, should have been called.

This was a Hail Mary situation and defensive holding flags, PIs, and the such are by very long and strong tradition not thrown in this case (lest a penalty decide the game). We of all people have experience with that with the so-called "Fail Mary" where the Replacement Ref flat out said that they were instructed not to throw a flag in such a case. IMHO the backjudge tried to singlehandely save the game for Prince Brady and the Head Ref said, "No way" and then found a plausible (or at least plausible enough) reason to pocket the flag.

Terrible justification. Just terrible. As a coach why not just tell your players to tackle all the receivers before the ball is thrown? Last play of the game so it wont get called right? Refs need to grow a pair and call penalties regardless of the time it occurs. That last play of the game so dont call it bull crap it gross

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Pretty sure the NFL doesn't want their refs being followed into the tunnel being yelled and screamed at by the players and I'm equally sure the excuse " but I was really mad about a call" won't help their cause any.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Polaris":fk4cuuvk said:
dontbelikethat":fk4cuuvk said:
HawkFan72":fk4cuuvk said:
therealjohncarlson":fk4cuuvk said:

In my opinion it wasn't a hail mary play, it was a standard 10-15 yard pass, and not like 40-50 yard bomb like it was for us. I understand what you're saying that it was an game deciding play, so they won't call it, but the rule was still broken and that shouldn't justify it not being called, but I do understand it. To be fair, I'm happy that it wasn't called, but I would understand it if Tate was called for pushing off the receiver in the Fail Mary too although I think it is arguable.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3ht95y5w said:
Polaris":3ht95y5w said:

Terrible justification. Just terrible. As a coach why not just tell your players to tackle all the receivers before the ball is thrown? Last play of the game so it wont get called right? Refs need to grow a pair and call penalties regardless of the time it occurs. That last play of the game so dont call it bull crap it gross

+1

Polaris

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1ditxuay said:

I disagree. This was a situation where the play had to be a TD pass in the End Zone. How far away the LOS was from the Endzone is *irrelevant*. It is still a Hail Mary Play....and yes, you ARE taught to claw, bite, and even tackle to get position on the ball in such a play either to knock it away (defense) or to catch it (offense). Everyone knows that the officials are NOT SUPPOSED TO FLAG it either way.

This is a long standing tradition in football at ALL levels that goes back decades and Tom Brady damn well knows it. Please don't defend his whining about it. Point in fact the flag should not have been thrown, and the head ref knew it and looked for a reason to pocket it....and he found a plausible reason to do it (essentially calling the pass uncatchable by the fouled receiver).

Laloosh

Reaction score
We get it. Bad call.

Why do I feel like my parents are getting a divorce right now? Was it something that I did?

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":1ui0m4sj said:
We get it. Bad call.

Why do I feel like my parents are getting a divorce right now? Was it something that I did?

It's all your fault!

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Polaris":ik0828p3 said:
therealjohncarlson":ik0828p3 said:

I disagree. This was a situation where the play had to be a TD pass in the End Zone. How far away the LOS was from the Endzone is *irrelevant*. It is still a Hail Mary Play....and yes, you ARE taught to claw, bite, and even tackle to get position on the ball in such a play either to knock it away (defense) or to catch it (offense). Everyone knows that the officials are NOT SUPPOSED TO FLAG it either way.

This is a long standing tradition in football at ALL levels that goes back decades and Tom Brady damn well knows it. Please don't defend his whining about it. Point in fact the flag should not have been thrown, and the head ref knew it and looked for a reason to pocket it....and he found a plausible reason to do it (essentially calling the pass uncatchable by the fouled receiver).

His reasoning to take back the flag for PI is arguable. But how do you defend the blatant defensive holding? Because there's an unwritten rule that you don't throw penalties when it's the last play and the game's on the line? If that's the case, tell the players to just jam and grab every jersey of the opposing team trying to catch the ball when they're lobbing it, cause that makes sense and is fair. I understand this is how it is, and it's goona be like this whether anyone likes it or not, but I'm not goona defend it and say it's right.

Polaris

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":dyqgozeh said:
His reasoning to take back the flag for PI is arguable. But how do you defend the blatant defensive holding? Because there's an unwritten rule that you don't throw penalties when it's the last play and the game's on the line? If that's the case, tell the players to just jam and grab every jersey of the opposing team trying to catch the ball when they're lobbing it, cause that makes sense and is fair. I understand this is how it is, and it's goona be like this whether anyone likes it or not, but I'm not goona defend it and say it's right.

Why not? Hail Mary situations occure a maximum of two times a game, and only under certain circumstances. These happen often enough that everyone in football (at all levels) knows both on the playing and officiating sides that a flag is not supposed to be thrown in such cases and YES that means you can claw, bite, scratch, and even tackle (like pretty much every other Hail Mary situation for the past several decades) without fear.

As long as everyone knows this, then there is no whining coming from anyone.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Polaris":2qxbv15s said:
dontbelikethat":2qxbv15s said:

Why not? Hail Mary situations occure a maximum of two times a game, and only under certain circumstances. These happen often enough that everyone in football (at all levels) knows both on the playing and officiating sides that a flag is not supposed to be thrown in such cases and YES that means you can claw, bite, scratch, and even tackle (like pretty much every other Hail Mary situation for the past several decades) without fear.

Just going to go ahead and disagree with this. You can't bear hug people and pull them off routes. This was not a floating 40 yard hail mary.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Polaris":2hv833qt said:
dontbelikethat":2hv833qt said:

Because it's still breaking the rules and not playing by the game. Like someone said in the other thread, calls should be either black or white (purpose of the uniform colors), and when you start getting into that gray area, it defies the purpose of the rules. These type of situations (what you call hail mary) is when rules should be the most important, that the other team beats you by beating you, not by cheating and then getting away with it cause cheating is apparently okay during this time.

Polaris

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":2d99o3j1 said:
Polaris":2d99o3j1 said:
dontbelikethat":2d99o3j1 said:

Just going to go ahead and disagree with this. You can't bear hug people and pull them off routes. This was not a floating 40 yard hail mary.

It was a Hail Mary. Flags for contact are not supposed to be thrown on a Hail Mary and the head official knew it.

I grant that this is the unofficial reason, but the official reason (which is a judgement call) is at least plausible enough to hold water.

IMHO the Backjudge tried to save the game for Prince Brady.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Polaris":2533nvbr said:
dontbelikethat":2533nvbr said:

Usually the non-calls on PIs are because players are pushing and shoving to get to the ball. People can excuse the contact because the players are fighting for the ball.

Kuechly had no intention of going for the ball. His back was to the play, he wrapped his arms around Gronk, and his only goal was to INTERFERE with him making a play.

This was not the standard hail mary no-call situation.