More Geno Speculation - From 5 GM's & 3 Agents

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Why aren't they using the franchise tag on him? Long term contract for a guy who's had one good season since he was drafted in 2013. Need to see more before giving him a long term deal. Franchise tag should be around $30M next season.
Why use the franchise tag, if you can sign him to an incentive laden, back-loaded, cash over cap contract? If you can't negotiate a team friendly deal, then you tag him.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Why aren't they using the franchise tag on him? Long term contract for a guy who's had one good season since he was drafted in 2013. Need to see more before giving him a long term deal. Franchise tag should be around $30M next season.

Franchise tag kills cap flexibility.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
But if he goes back to the old Geno after his first big payday, they're in cap hell. Want another prove it season from him.

This is the inherent risk with any multi-year signing though, isn't it?

I think I'd rather run the risk of some cap restraint later (probably not outright cap hell) than take it on the chin and kill all cap flexibility year 1 with the tag.

They can probably put an out into a hypothetical Geno contract fairly early on.

evergreen

Reaction score
I think the old Geno is gone. If it exists, it’s in the few costly non clutch mistakes he’s made later in some losses. The few turn overs he’s been invited with could be that Achilles heel. But they might not have been his fault. He’s good enough with a way better defense. If you pay him you draft the best defensive lineman. Get super elite talent on that line! You get both with Geno. Draft Penix and you miss out on that rare D talent. But you may trade that low pick for two higher. Who knows? Good problem to have. But don’t F yourself forever like the Blazers did by passing on MJ and KD! Ouch!

Donn2390

Reaction score
But if he goes back to the old Geno after his first big payday, they're in cap hell. Want another prove it season from him.
There is no "Old" Gino, unless you're referring to the guy who spent seven years sitting on a bench and never really got a chance to show you the new Gino. What we have currently is an older, new Gino. Not looking too bad so far...

BASF

Reaction score
Geno has been labled a complete bust up until this year...For now. He's been on 5 different teams and failed to win the starting role for all 5 teams.
Tired b.s. trope is tired and b.s. He has had one QB competition against Ryan Fitzpatrick that he lost while playing with the Jets. He has had one QB competition that he has won with Drew Lock this season. He never competed with Eli Manning. He never competed with Phillip Rivers. He never competed with Russell Wilson. I do not understand the intellectual dishonesty with posts like this.

Last edited:

massari

Reaction score
There is no "Old" Gino, unless you're referring to the guy who spent seven years sitting on a bench and never really got a chance to show you the new Gino. What we have currently is an older, new Gino. Not looking too bad so far...
If he was the pro bowl caliber QB like he is this season, he would've won a starting job at some point, no?

Before the Seahawks, he started close to 30 games with 27 TDs/35 INTs/70 RTG in those starts. That's "old" Geno.

Donn2390

Reaction score
If he was the pro bowl caliber QB like he is this season, he would've won a starting job at some point, no?

Before the Seahawks, he started close to 30 games with 27 TDs/35 INTs/70 RTG in those starts. That's "old" Geno.
My source shows is is 19 0f 26 starts, 12 of which are with the Hawks, so that leaves 7? starts over the previous years.
"Wouldn't he have won a starting job at some point, no?"
You're correct, NO.!
Who was he backing up that he could have taken the job away from? Manning? Rivers? Wilson? He had no opportunity until this year.
Pete knew of his talent and abilities , he pursued him hard in the off season to keep him in Seattle, even though Wilson was still a Hawk at the time.
He didn't just get good over the last off season, all of his stops were learning and growing experiences, not everyone is a super star the first tear.
You're making him out to have been a total bust that just got lucky this year.

hawks85

Reaction score
Tired b.s. trope is tired and b.s. He has had one QB competition against Ryan Fitzpatrick that he lost while playing with the Jets. He has had one QB competition that he has won with Drew Lock this season. He never competed with Eli Manning. He never competed with Phillip Rivers. He never competed with Russell Wilson. I do not understand the intellectual dishonesty with posts like this.
Man, Whatever. Point being I'm rooting for Smith just like everyone else, but I'm not completely sold on him yet like everybody else is. By the way, if he lost to Fitzpatrick, do you actually think he had a chance against Manning or Rivers, yeah right.

massari

Reaction score
My source shows is is 19 0f 26 starts, 12 of which are with the Hawks, so that leaves 7? starts over the previous years.
"Wouldn't he have won a starting job at some point, no?"
You're correct, NO.!
Who was he backing up that he could have taken the job away from? Manning? Rivers? Wilson? He had no opportunity until this year.
Pete knew of his talent and abilities , he pursued him hard in the off season to keep him in Seattle, even though Wilson was still a Hawk at the time.
He didn't just get good over the last off season, all of his stops were learning and growing experiences, not everyone is a super star the first tear.
You're making him out to have been a total bust that just got lucky this year.
Bro, he had about 30 starts before the Hawks and those were his stats. 27 TDs/35 INTs/70 RTG

He was unable to keep the starting job with the Jets for 4 years, and why would the the Jets, Giants and Chargers all let him leave if he was showing he can play at the level he has this season when Eli was washed up nearing the end, the Jets had nobody, and Rivers was nearing 40 with a huge cap hit. Why not keep the younger Smith for peanuts instead of letting him leave for the Hawks for 700k?

I'm suggesting using the tag so he can prove himself a little more before locking him up long term. That's all.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Bro, he had about 30 starts before the Hawks and those were his stats. 27 TDs/35 INTs/70 RTG

He was unable to keep the starting job with the Jets for 4 years, and why would the the Jets, Giants and Chargers all let him leave if he was showing he can play at the level he has this season when Eli was washed up nearing the end, the Jets had nobody, and Rivers was nearing 40 with a huge cap hit. Why not keep the younger Smith for peanuts instead of letting him leave for the Hawks for 700k?

I'm suggesting using the tag so he can prove himself a little more before locking him up long term. That's all.
Well, we're both on the same team hoping for the same results, let's hope Geno continues to shine and the playoffs are in our immediate future. Next year should be even better... GO HAWKS...

scutterhawk

Reaction score

it should be OBVIOUS to you by now, that the Jets, Giants & Chargers screwed up, especially the Bolts, when they let Drew Breese leave for NO., & then not SERIOUSLY giving Geno a legitimate try after sponging up the playbook & intricacies that Rivers was layin' down.
It's also "OBVIOUS" that Pete Carroll was tuned in on Genos' capabilities when he hired him to back-up Russell Wilson, HOW do I know this? because Pete & John didn't go looking for another QB to come in and compete against Geno & Drew...Gee it's like Pete knew something that the know-it-all NFL pundits did NOT know
Now, it's obvious that you & a lot of other Geno Doubters don't know what Pete & John know...I trust that they WILL do the right thing when it comes to dealing with Geno.

BASF

Reaction score

He was unable to keep the starting job with the Jets for 4 years
Minor correction, he was the Jets starter for his first two years. He lost the starting job in year three due to a right cross from a backup linebacker. Fitzpatrick had a really good year that season and was the leader going into the competition in year four. Geno did not do enough in the offseason or preseason to win the job.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
It is nice seeing Geno do well but I'm not buying into he's now a good to great QB. Seahawks and Geno were blessed playing a lot of weak defenses, but we saw what happened when they played the 49ers....right? Geno going to get a big payday, let someone else pay it, draft the QB of the future ( which I feel was the plan from the start) this year. That still leaves a lot of picks to fill needs at other positions

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It is nice seeing Geno do well but I'm not buying into he's now a good to great QB. Seahawks and Geno were blessed playing a lot of weak defenses, but we saw what happened when they played the 49ers....right? Geno going to get a big payday, let someone else pay it, draft the QB of the future ( which I feel was the plan from the start) this year. That still leaves a lot of picks to fill needs at other positions

I hate to tell you this, but you do realize every single draftable quarterback also has put in at least 1 stinker of a performance too and at a lower level of play?

The 49ers game can be placed squarely on a truncated playbook prior to them opening the passing game up.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
I hate to tell you this, but you do realize every single draftable quarterback also has put in at least 1 stinker of a performance too and at a lower level of play?

The 49ers game can be placed squarely on a truncated playbook prior to them opening the passing game up.
Sure every QB has bad games and the 49ers defense is no joke either. I just have a hard time believing his level of play is going to continue into future years. Think the last late bloomer at QB was in 2000 Rich Gannon. Don't think the odds are in Geno favor.

Torc

Reaction score
I hope Geno's success in Seattle encourages GMs and coaches to look at veteran backups and even look towards developing young players again instead of just expecting rookies to save the franchise. I know that part of the problem is that they don't want a young player on a rookie contract to start to be ready to start right around the time that contract expires, and someone else gets the benefit of the development time. But the way the NFL goes through young QBs is crazy.

jeremiah

Reaction score
I think the range that .net has been discussing is the same range as those in the biz. 28-38m/yr.

Find another reject and rent him while scouring College for a shining star. One good year will lead to nothing. He just is not a very good QB, let alone franchise player