More Geno Speculation - From 5 GM's & 3 Agents

olyfan63

Reaction score
So there is a non-exclusive Franchise tender for $31.5M, and if outbid, the team that gets Geno has to cough up 2 first round picks? Sounds like a good option to me. At least sets a starting point for negotiations. If we can get Geno for $30M/Year on 3-year deal with first two years guaranteed (structured with up-front signing bonus), that would seem reasonable.

Much more than that, and Hawks are screwed. Pete's SB-winning formula does NOT include paying a QB big bucks. It includes cheap rookie contract game manager QB, elite defense, punishing running game, and a ton of young players outperforming their contracts.

I could see the Hawks pulling the trigger on QBOTF, say, Florida QB Anthony Richardson, though don't know if he'd drop far enough to the Hawks pick. If Hawks got Jalen Carter and Anthony Richardson, and some fresh RB blood, and picked up draft/FA help at DT and LB, we'd really have something. Trade Geno after he mentors QBOTF for a year, and hope for 2012-14 lighting to strike. I know, nice to dream.

Last edited:

Hawk4life

Reaction score
I'm going to reserve my speculation until the season ends and see if PC says his first priority is to resign Geno à la Hasselbeck.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
If he signs the franchise offer, it's only 31m or something--a franchise tag is the best of both worlds.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I hope Geno's success in Seattle encourages GMs and coaches to look at veteran backups and even look towards developing young players again instead of just expecting rookies to save the franchise. I know that part of the problem is that they don't want a young player on a rookie contract to start to be ready to start right around the time that contract expires, and someone else gets the benefit of the development time. But the way the NFL goes through young QBs is crazy.
This is the biggest issue for me. Is Geno's current level of play worth $30+ million, even after only ONE year playing this well? Yeah, it is... unfortunately.

The QB market in the NFL is wholly unsustainable. The current 'smart' play being to draft a QB, hope he's great and whether he is or isn't, you drop him by the end of his rookie contract and try again. It's bad for the teams, fans, and for the young QBs like Geno Smith who never get another chance like Geno did. There's probably lots of guys who were/are labeled 'busts' sitting on a bench who simply needed more on the job training before being told the future of the franchise rested on their shoulders.

I think the Seahawks should be in the Geno Smith hunt. If it gets out of control, fine, let him go and we can go back into rebuild mode but the idea that we should just let him walk reads in this thread mostly like folks who predicted he would suck this year and are just moving their predictions forward to next year now.

mrblitz

Reaction score
it seems like pete can do wonders with any qb who is mobile, and has a good arm. as much as i'm impressed with geno this year, maybe paying a qb bucketloads of money is not the answer. also (if geno walks), this other guy they got from denver might actually be the answer going forward

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
This is the biggest issue for me. Is Geno's current level of play worth $30+ million, even after only ONE year playing this well? Yeah, it is... unfortunately.

The QB market in the NFL is wholly unsustainable. The current 'smart' play being to draft a QB, hope he's great and whether he is or isn't, you drop him by the end of his rookie contract and try again. It's bad for the teams, fans, and for the young QBs like Geno Smith who never get another chance like Geno did. There's probably lots of guys who were/are labeled 'busts' sitting on a bench who simply needed more on the job training before being told the future of the franchise rested on their shoulders.

I think the Seahawks should be in the Geno Smith hunt. If it gets out of control, fine, let him go and we can go back into rebuild mode but the idea that we should just let him walk reads in this thread mostly like folks who predicted he would suck this year and are just moving their predictions forward to next year now.
Geno Smith is a rare breed. There are many QB's that stick around the NFL for years and never amount to anything other than backups even with opportunities. It's not that the NFL moves on too quickly -- it's that Geno Smith is a-typical. He's also had the opportunity to play behind some of the league's best QB's. Rivers in particular was instrumental in his development of the mental portion in his game.

A few QB's come around like him every now and then. Think guys like Gannon, it's not unprecedented but rare.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
It's going to take some cap wiggling. The Hawks aren't in nearly as good of a cap situation as many in the media think. They've only got 33 players under contract next season. And about $46 million in cap space. $10ish milliion or so will need to be allocated to rookie contracts.

I can't see any possible way they don't cut Diggs. And they should absolutely try to restructure Adams's deal.

Probably Gabe Jackson can go, too. His dead cap hit is palatable.

Maybe QJeff and Woods?

Outside of those guys, there's not a ton of obvious savings to pursue.

I’m not contract savvy like some of you nuts, is it worth it to cut Diggs AND Adams? Truly… I love what Adams brings but he’s never healthy. Diggs I can pass on.

BASF

Reaction score
I’m not contract savvy like some of you nuts, is it worth it to cut Diggs AND Adams? Truly… I love what Adams brings but he’s never healthy. Diggs I can pass on.
Diggs will save us $9.8M, Adams would be dead money at $21.3M. Diggs will not be on the team next year. Adams will be as we do not have enough flexibility to eat that amount.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
Diggs will save us $9.8M, Adams would be dead money at $21.3M. Diggs will not be on the team next year. Adams will be as we do not have enough flexibility to eat that amount.
Thanks for the legwork. Boy Adams… killing us.

massari

Reaction score
cutting/trading Adams would free up $11M in 2023, $16.5 2024 and $17.5M 2025

Cutting/trading Diggs opens up $14M 2023 and $11M 2024

Getting rid of Diggs, Adams, Mone, Jackson and Jefferson opens up an extra $40M for 2023

Last edited:

BASF

Reaction score

Getting rid of Diggs, Adams, Mone, Jackson and Jefferson opens up an extra $40M for 2023
I messed up Adams as I was looking at 2022, but can you explain where you are getting your numbers? The link you posted, which is the one I use, clearly shows dead money and cap savings. None of your numbers are in those boxes.

Last edited:

massari

Reaction score
I messed up Adams as I was looking at 2022, but can you explain where you are getting your numbers? The link you posted which is the one I use clearly shows dead money and cap savings. None of your numbers are in those boxes.
It's if they're cut/traded post June 1. Your numbers are if they're cut/traded before June 1

Hawkinaz

Reaction score

Your forgot about the dead cap hit( the cost it will to save the money) Sportrac has it also a bit easier to follow

Jegpeg

Reaction score
I'd love to hear more on this 2-1sts in compensation angle. Is that real?

4-1sts, 2-2nds and 2 starters for Russel Wilson and Geno Smith?

If this is a dream, please don't wake me.
It's real
https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl...es-values-rules-2022/zl129ixw0r3zlvglaiasuggp

However I don't think it will happen.

If, we put a transition tag on Geno (Pay him about $28m for a one year deal) plenty of teams will offer him $30m, in which case we would have the option to match them or let Geno go (with no compensation).

If we give him a (non-exclusive) franchise tag then I doubt other teams will be willing to offer him $30m+ and lose two first round picks. Exclusive franchise tags cost more but they are rarely used as a non-exclusive is usually enough to ensure you keep the player for another year.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Is there a sign him then trade him option that could work?

Not trying to be a nay-sayer, but that $30+ mil freaks me out.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Let Geno test the market. Do not sign for anything more than $15M. Sign Lock to a backup QB deal. Draft a QB with first 4 picks.