Most liked 'sleeper'/'forgotten' Hawks.

Hawkamaniac

Reaction score
Cool topic ...

Dilfer; I think his presence had a lot to do with Hasselbeck's ascension to above average starter, and,

Chris Warren; 4 straight 1000+ yard seasons, and 2nd team All-Pro in '94 and '95. The guy was a monster and he almost never gets mentioned

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
Manu Tuiasosopo. If for no other reason that it's fun to say, "Manu Tuiasosopo".

I was always a big fan of fellow-lefty Jim Zorn and his favorite receiver, Efren Herrera...

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yeah, I was a little peeved when they let him go.. I don't think it was a coincidence that SA had his greatest season in 05. JJ made a lot of downfield tackles that receivers now just don't make.
JJ was our 3rd receiver behind DJack and KRob and as such, wouldn't have been on the field a lot on 1st and 2nd downs, so I think you might be overstating his contributions just a tad. But you're right that he was one of our best blocking WR's ever and a big red zone threat who created a lot of mismatches.

As far as us 'letting him go', he was a free agent and opted to sign with Cleveland as it was close to his home.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Since my previous post mentioned special teams, I’ll say Heath Farwell. He’s continuing his career in that area with Jacksonville as a coach now. Strong player, in on so many key tackles and stops.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Robbie Tobeck. He benefited from having Hutch and Jones on that O line but man, he was ultra reliable and durable. A true linchpin in one of the greatest O lines in NFL history. And he's a super nice guy. Got to talk with him a few times at training camp back in the day.

Plus he was a Coug. Go Cougs!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Fantastic topic, OP!

Sooooo many names I could mention. John L. for sure...Brian Blades, Edwin Bailey, Chris Warren, Rufus, even Leonard Weaver...Anyone remember Charlie Rodgers? Our little kick returner burner? He was awesome! I don't recall how many kickoff return TDs he had, but he was fun to watch and made kickoffs exciting. The endzone was called "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood".

Hi res 76ac06460e56eef8bab59a599fcc0e0b crop north

BASF

Reaction score
Marcus Tubbs, the man gets no respect, but he was the key to our 2005 defense.

Rocky Bernard who played a very large role in the 2005 defense as well.

Leroy Hill who was a heck of a linebacker in every category, but not great at anything.

Sean Locklear who finally solidified the right tackle position. It had been a revolving door during Holmgren's tenure with only one payer starting two consecutive seasons before him. His emergence was what propelled our offense to unstoppable.

The only reason my favorite player ever was not on my list is because he has already been mentioned a few times, but Mack Strong was not really forgotten or a sleeper. The man was awesome and blocked for thousand yard rushers across three coaching staffs and I hate that he was robbed of his super bowl.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Good calls on Tobeck and Herrera.

Tobeck did make a Pro Bowl, so it's not as if he was a complete 'sleeper.' He was a solid starter for 7 seasons and is arguably the best center we've ever had, and being that he was an offensive lineman, the casual fan has overlooked his contributions. I know that I don't consider him a 'sleeper.'

Herrera was known and loved more for his role in fake field goals, the most prominent of which came in our first ever MNF game, a win over the Falcons, and during a period of time when MNF was huge, a much bigger event than it is nowadays. His kicking was just so-so, not nearly as good as his successor, Norm Johnson.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Lot of great memories being brought up. A couple I thought of was Norm Johnson and Isiah Kacyvenski, Isiah was never great, but he played his heart out.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I haven't seen this name mentioned yet, so I'll mention it now:
Bryan Millard. He had attitude and a way with words. He once said something to the effect of, "I'd rather be trapped in a phone booth with a couple of wildcats with their tails tied together than get tackled by Fredd Young."
The way I remember the quote it was, “it’s easier to sand a bobcats ass in a phone booth than get tackled by Fred Young”.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
JJ was our 3rd receiver behind DJack and KRob and as such, wouldn't have been on the field a lot on 1st and 2nd downs, so I think you might be overstating his contributions just a tad. But you're right that he was one of our best blocking WR's ever and a big red zone threat who created a lot of mismatches.

As far as us 'letting him go', he was a free agent and opted to sign with Cleveland as it was close to his home.
Yeah, maybe, but perhaps,he had his longest runs on 3rd downs? :) IDK

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Fantastic topic, OP!

Sooooo many names I could mention. John L. for sure...Brian Blades, Edwin Bailey, Chris Warren, Rufus, even Leonard Weaver...Anyone remember Charlie Rodgers? Our little kick returner burner? He was awesome! I don't recall how many kickoff return TDs he had, but he was fun to watch and made kickoffs exciting. The endzone was called "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood".

View attachment 59588
Good call on Rogers. I remember his kickoff return for a TD in the playoff game vs. Dolphins in 1999. He fumbled the kickoff, picked it up and then took it to the house....

IIRC, this was the last pro football game in the Kingdome.

Rat

Reaction score
Cool topic ...

Dilfer; I think his presence had a lot to do with Hasselbeck's ascension to above average starter, and,
Jeff George shouldn't be forgotten in that regard either. Hass spoke very highly of his influence.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

Yea - I thought he went back home to Cleveland for his kid or something didn't he?

I am aware that he left of his own volition -

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Okay - Here's the Anti Most Hated Seahawk thread. This is your vote for a hawk that might have been under-appreciated - or a sleeper type vote.

I'll open with the same dude from my response in another thread: Joe Jurevicius.

And Emeril style (my 90's are showing) - BAM! I'll hit you with: Leon Washington!

I know there's plenty of others..... ;)
And maybe not super-popular - but:

Marcus Trufant.

Latest posts