Votes: 32 32.7%
  • Spend the money elsewhere

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • I don't know, this is too hard to decide

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I'm assuming options 1 and 2 are different in that option 1 implies a contract more than $105mil (5 year) whereas option 2 implies a matching contract of $105mil. I'd be good with contract in the range of $100mil to $105mil. No way you get him for less than $100mil.

nwHawk

Reaction score
If we were comparing Clowney's situation and an offensive tackle, Clowney wants top left tackle money while playing right tackle. He's the premier run stopping DE, but still applies a fair amount of pressure on opposing QBs. Is he Mack or Von Miller, nope. Does he make some bone headed offsides, yup (just like Bennett). I'd like to retain him at 16-17 mil a season. But at 20+ a year, you have to wonder would we be better playing a rotation at his position and using his money to go get a true pass rusher.

Let him test the water, and be prepared to walk away if he want over 20/yr. We need several new defensive studs if we want to be better than that crapfest we saw last year.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1bqdb9cz said:
Under 20 mill ....hahahahaha....he's a top DE. 20-24 easily

Joey Bosa $6.4M
Frank Clark $20.8M
Calais Campbell $15M
Cameron Jordan $17.5M
Nick Bosa $8.2M
Danielle Hunter $14M
Trey Flowers $18M
Demarcus Lawrence $21M
Chandler Jones $16.5M
Za'Darius Smith $16.5M
Justin Houston $12M

Seems to me like $14-$18 mil will get you a heck of a pass rusher. Clowney is a beast but he is not a Top 5 most disruptive DE. This is not even considering the Rush DE/OLB's like Mack, Miller, TJ Watt, Dupree

Wizofwest

Reaction score
Love Clowney....impactful to the game and he has a warrior’s heart. In addition, good locker room guy, didn’t make waves. However, missed games, played at a lower rate due to injury. A top 5 contract can’t be offered to someone that misses time, even if as I stated he played hurt. Something over 20 mil will hurt the team more than make the team better.
Find two around 15mil if they’re worth it, don’t reach.

seabowl

Reaction score
I think Chris Jones may be a better choice

poly1274

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1ae92q4u said:
Largent80":1ae92q4u said:
Under 20 mill ....hahahahaha....he's a top DE. 20-24 easily

Joey Bosa $6.4M
Frank Clark $20.8M
Calais Campbell $15M
Cameron Jordan $17.5M
Nick Bosa $8.2M
Danielle Hunter $14M
Trey Flowers $18M
Demarcus Lawrence $21M
Chandler Jones $16.5M
Za'Darius Smith $16.5M
Justin Houston $12M

Seems to me like $14-$18 mil will get you a heck of a pass rusher. Clowney is a beast but he is not a Top 5 most disruptive DE. This is not even considering the Rush DE/OLB's like Mack, Miller, TJ Watt, Dupree

Nice troll attempt when posting Joey and Nick's (Rookie contract)

2019 Free agents
Clark had 20.8
Flowers had 18
Dee Ford had 17
Houston 12mill (30 years of age)

Clowney is only what 27? He's def getting the 19mill -23 mill range.

poly1274

Reaction score
IMO should sign

Matthew Judon or Dante Fowler
5 yr(s) / $90mil.

Robert Quinn 2 years 18mill
Clayborn 1 year 8mill

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Wenhawk":22k984az said:
Clowney is a beast but he is not a Top 5 most disruptive DE. This is not even considering the Rush DE/OLB's like Mack, Miller, TJ Watt, Dupree

And what is he if we hit on another DL guy to go with him? A Clowney/Everson combo is not cheap, but eventually you have to start treating DL like the quarterback position, because it is that important. This isn't nickel CB we're talking about.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":moq24ymv said:
Wenhawk":moq24ymv said:
Clowney is a beast but he is not a Top 5 most disruptive DE. This is not even considering the Rush DE/OLB's like Mack, Miller, TJ Watt, Dupree

And what is he if we hit on another DL guy to go with him? A Clowney/Everson combo is not cheap, but eventually you have to start treating DL like the quarterback position, because it is that important. This isn't nickel CB we're talking about.

Need to catch lightning in a bottle like we did with
Clemons
Avril
Bennett

xray

Reaction score
Forget Clowney because he probably is gone right now . He's the 7th best at his position ; and he wants record setting money ? good bye

Fade

Reaction score
The Seahawks do really well when it comes to handing out mega money, so they have their price in mind. If another team goes crazy, then he will be gone. Seattle would then just target multiple DEs that is in their price range. I am fine with it either way.

I would like to keep him, but if another team wants to pay him $23M+ APY, you have to let him walk. To me the absolute ceiling is $22.5M APY. If his price goes above that then it is time to start targeting other Free Agents.

Resetting the market money should only appy to 16+ sack a season kind of guys, and he has never even had 10.

Also the Seahawks internally may have worked out that paying a non-QB north of $20M APY isn't worth it, and it is better for them to continue to sign short term Free Agents and pursue trades instead.

We will know here shortly if they didn't sign Clark, don't sign Clowney, and don't spend big on a new UFA DE.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Wenhawk":15zqnkto said:
MontanaHawk05":15zqnkto said:
Wenhawk":15zqnkto said:

Need to catch lightning in a bottle like we did with
Clemons
Avril
Bennett

Yea we should hope and pray that Venus aligns with Mars and everything will be hunky dory. Works every time in my business.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Pay him. Our pass rush stinks and our defense is suspect overall. He’s guaranteed to help the situation.

Kinger95

Reaction score
If you sign a guy to a deal that’s over 20 per there’s literally no way he can earn what your paying him unless he remains elite and never misses a game which is really hard to do. There’s zero upside and an absolute boatload of risk. I think we need him but honestly let’s not make a really bad decision and overpay a guy that’s probably not always gonna be healthy. Front office needs to make a reasonable offer and stick to it.

If we give him Suh money like the dolphins did he’s just gonna get cut after 2/3 years just like suh

Latest posts