NHL Seattle Hockey club

gowazzu02

Reaction score
seaky12":q7s4kie5 said:
KK84":q7s4kie5 said:
seaky12":q7s4kie5 said:
Brett":q7s4kie5 said:
Well when all you can think about on a friday is an NHL franchise in Seattle what else can ya do ? There isn't much new news out there and not much discussion going on anywhere but here lol. I wonder what the forums will be like for the NHL team maybe we will just have a dedicated spot here for that stuff.

I feel ya on that. This is when it sucks about not personally knowing any other hockey fans because I have no one to talk about it with. My bro-in-law is a casual Penguins fan but that's about it. Everyone else is sick of hearing about it and have no interest. Sucks for them, I guess. Haha.

I'm not sure what new forums will crop up as a result of this team but I'm monitoring it. I'm sure it won't be far behind after a team name is announced. From what I can tell (from the hockey community as a whole), most tend to congregate in team sub-forums on larger networks like Reddit, HF Boards, HockeyForums.net, etc. rather than individual, dedicated forums. However, there are exceptions. Personally, I look forward to participating in future threads here on .NET and hope to see a separate team-specific forum arise. I'm sure it will.

One of the things that's really exciting for me is that after the developements over the last couple months, my buddies have all been asking me about rules and what to watch for and have been eager to learn the game in order to support the team once it's here. If the rest of the Seattle area is similar, I see this turning into a hockey town in a big way fast. The first taste of playoff hockey this franchise gets the city will explode.

I have no doubts that Seattle will become a great hockey city once the puck drops. I'm glad to hear your buddies are already trying to get in on it. Honestly, this this is why it sucks that the NHL is skipping the Winter Olympics. That is what introduced me to the sport and got me hooked. At least the Stanley Cup Playoffs isn't too far off.

I have no doubt Seattle will show out big for the NHL. Alot of transplants from other areas, close to Canada, Also I mean look at the Sounders they sell out Century Link when given the chance. The population is booming, there is alot of wealth (I hear hockey is an expensive gate and they make alot of the team revenue from tickets unlike other sports with lucrative tv deals) All signs point to success.

Heck the fact the draft rules will get us competitive is icing on the cake. Playoff beards for everyone! haha

original poster

Reaction score
Brett":20yi4n0o said:
We are still waiting for them to submit the 10 million dollar application and have it be approved. Sounded like on Jan 27th that they thought the app would be in very soon.

Excellent! Thanks.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
seaky12":1zu6xzg8 said:
You may find this of interest: http://www.lasvegassportsbetting.com/20 ... 25342.html

What will the team name of the Seattle NHL franchise be?
Emeralds +400
Totems +600
Rainiers +750
Evergreens +800
Kraken +700
Renegades +800
Sea Lions +800
Firebirds +1000
Cougars +1100
Eagles +1100
Seals +1200
Whales +1200
Sockeyes +1200

Interesting.... so this is from the other hockey/arena thread.

twisted_steel2":1zu6xzg8 said:
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22180319/nhl-pieces-falling-place-seattle-expansion-franchise-bid

Last week, DetroitHockey.net reported that someone who apparently works for OVG registered 38 website domains with 13 possible team names: Cougars, Eagles, Emeralds, Evergreens, Firebirds, Kraken, Rainiers, Renegades, Sea Lions, Seals, Sockeyes, Totems and Whales. The team's potential name has become one of the hottest topics in town, igniting a mad dash for rights.

That looks like the same list, right? An OVG employee(edit: actually a lawyer employed by OVG) registered all those domain names mid January. Hhhmmm. 8)

https://www.detroithockey.net/news/2018 ... ns-kraken/

By my count, 38 domains representing 13 different possible names were registered under the name of Christina Song. Ms. Song, according to her LinkedIn profile, is General Counsel at Oak View Group, who won the bid to redevelop Seattle’s Key Arena on December 4. The domains were registered via an email address for a lawyer at Gibson Dunn. That firm assisted Oak View Group in the Key Arena bid process.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
If we are competitive early on, the Van/Sea could be one of the best rivalry ever for a Seattle based pro team.

We love our teams, but really, we don't experience a close by rivalry that and especially the east coast cities experience. We just saw one.. the SB, Boston and Philly are like the Hatfields and McCoys... they are even competitive about who's city is dirtier..lol.

ballhawks12

Reaction score
Brett":2lclip9b said:
Another day at the office... another day in Seattle without NHL hockey down who knows how many are left.

Too many. But in the mean time: Cheers! :happydrunks:

ballhawks12

Reaction score
gowazzu02":34g5efpw said:
seaky12":34g5efpw said:
KK84":34g5efpw said:
seaky12":34g5efpw said:
I feel ya on that. This is when it sucks about not personally knowing any other hockey fans because I have no one to talk about it with. My bro-in-law is a casual Penguins fan but that's about it. Everyone else is sick of hearing about it and have no interest. Sucks for them, I guess. Haha.

I'm not sure what new forums will crop up as a result of this team but I'm monitoring it. I'm sure it won't be far behind after a team name is announced. From what I can tell (from the hockey community as a whole), most tend to congregate in team sub-forums on larger networks like Reddit, HF Boards, HockeyForums.net, etc. rather than individual, dedicated forums. However, there are exceptions. Personally, I look forward to participating in future threads here on .NET and hope to see a separate team-specific forum arise. I'm sure it will.

One of the things that's really exciting for me is that after the developements over the last couple months, my buddies have all been asking me about rules and what to watch for and have been eager to learn the game in order to support the team once it's here. If the rest of the Seattle area is similar, I see this turning into a hockey town in a big way fast. The first taste of playoff hockey this franchise gets the city will explode.

I have no doubts that Seattle will become a great hockey city once the puck drops. I'm glad to hear your buddies are already trying to get in on it. Honestly, this this is why it sucks that the NHL is skipping the Winter Olympics. That is what introduced me to the sport and got me hooked. At least the Stanley Cup Playoffs isn't too far off.

I have no doubt Seattle will show out big for the NHL. Alot of transplants from other areas, close to Canada, Also I mean look at the Sounders they sell out Century Link when given the chance. The population is booming, there is alot of wealth (I hear hockey is an expensive gate and they make alot of the team revenue from tickets unlike other sports with lucrative tv deals) All signs point to success.

Heck the fact the draft rules will get us competitive is icing on the cake. Playoff beards for everyone! haha

Agreed. The city is riiipe for ice hockey right now and has all the makings of a fantastic hockey city. After all, there is a reason the NHL is foaming at the mouth and wanting into Seattle. That said, I may have to settle for playoff mutton chops otherwise I'll have a playoff neck beard. Haha. But I've already started growing lettuce for the inaugural season.

ballhawks12

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":20o9b7bq said:
seaky12":20o9b7bq said:
You may find this of interest: http://www.lasvegassportsbetting.com/20 ... 25342.html

What will the team name of the Seattle NHL franchise be?
Emeralds +400
Totems +600
Rainiers +750
Evergreens +800
Kraken +700
Renegades +800
Sea Lions +800
Firebirds +1000
Cougars +1100
Eagles +1100
Seals +1200
Whales +1200
Sockeyes +1200

Interesting.... so this is from the other hockey/arena thread.

twisted_steel2":20o9b7bq said:
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22180319/nhl-pieces-falling-place-seattle-expansion-franchise-bid

Last week, DetroitHockey.net reported that someone who apparently works for OVG registered 38 website domains with 13 possible team names: Cougars, Eagles, Emeralds, Evergreens, Firebirds, Kraken, Rainiers, Renegades, Sea Lions, Seals, Sockeyes, Totems and Whales. The team's potential name has become one of the hottest topics in town, igniting a mad dash for rights.

That looks like the same list, right? An OVG employee(edit: actually a lawyer employed by OVG) registered all those domain names mid January. Hhhmmm. 8)

https://www.detroithockey.net/news/2018 ... ns-kraken/

By my count, 38 domains representing 13 different possible names were registered under the name of Christina Song. Ms. Song, according to her LinkedIn profile, is General Counsel at Oak View Group, who won the bid to redevelop Seattle’s Key Arena on December 4. The domains were registered via an email address for a lawyer at Gibson Dunn. That firm assisted Oak View Group in the Key Arena bid process.

I wonder what it all means? :D

Also, let's not forget this: NHL owns Seattle Metropolitans trademark in Canada but not in United States

Granted some young entrepreneur currently owns the trademark in the U.S., however, I'd imagine he is going to get a nice payday and we are getting some sweet throwback merch (though the guy that owns the trademark currently sells some metros gear)

ballhawks12

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3elxglxn said:
If we are competitive early on, the Van/Sea could be one of the best rivalry ever for a Seattle based pro team.

We love our teams, but really, we don't experience a close by rivalry that and especially the east coast cities experience. We just saw one.. the SB, Boston and Philly are like the Hatfields and McCoys... they are even competitive about who's city is dirtier..lol.

Speaking of the Hatfields and McCoys, I reside in Pike county, KY. But I digress.

I anticipate the rivalry with Vancouver to be intense. On that note, I kind of wish Portland would also get a team just to see the Cascadia cup on ice. It'd be insane to see Sea/Van/Por match-ups in NHL. Pipe dream.

Brett

Reaction score
I am way ahead of the game here l think, but playoff hockey will be so much fun. I haven't ever got to go to a mariners playoff series but I remember the Tacoma Rockets (WHL in the early 90's) Playoff runs were so much fun. Multipul games at home against the same team will be lots of fun for sure. Gottal love Seahawks playoff football at home but there is something about a series of games that is very captivating.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
seaky12":b74xdn84 said:
Bobblehead":b74xdn84 said:

Speaking of the Hatfields and McCoys, I reside in Pike county, KY. But I digress.

I anticipate the rivalry with Vancouver to be intense. On that note, I kind of wish Portland would also get a team just to see the Cascadia cup on ice. It'd be insane to see Sea/Van/Por match-ups in NHL. Pipe dream.

Does Paul Allen just not want hockey? Surely the Moda Center is state of the art. Would he not let other owners use the arena and split the profits?

Can Portland support 2 winter sport leagues?

ballhawks12

Reaction score
Brett":2qk9sfnc said:
I am way ahead of the game here l think, but playoff hockey will be so much fun. I haven't ever got to go to a mariners playoff series but I remember the Tacoma Rockets (WHL in the early 90's) Playoff runs were so much fun. Multipul games at home against the same team will be lots of fun for sure. Gottal love Seahawks playoff football at home but there is something about a series of games that is very captivating.

Hopefully Seattle can make some noise early on and make a run at the playoffs. That'll be insane. Personally, I can't wait to pack a bar and take it in.

I agree about a series of games being captivating. It is fun to watch and usually boils down to the best team winning. But on the other hand, single elimination is alluring because anything can happen and it is nerve wracking.

KK84

Reaction score
seaky12":6zqmcdso said:
Brett":6zqmcdso said:

Hopefully Seattle can make some noise early on and make a run at the playoffs. That'll be insane. Personally, I can't wait to pack a bar and take it in.

I agree about a series of games being captivating. It is fun to watch and usually boils down to the best team winning. But on the other hand, single elimination is alluring because anything can happen and it is nerve wracking.

In my opinion, there is nothing in sports that compares to OT in a game 7 of a nhl playoff series. Nerve wracking would be a severe understatement.

ballhawks12

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":305iv03a said:
seaky12":305iv03a said:
Bobblehead":305iv03a said:

Does Paul Allen just not want hockey? Surely the Moda Center is state of the art. Would he not let other owners use the arena and split the profits?

Can Portland support 2 winter sport leagues?

Honestly, I'm not sure what the deal is with Portland. The Moda Center is, as you said, state of the art. It already has an ice rink. If you recall, it was rumored a few years ago that the Coyotes could relocate to Portland, and those rumors reoccurred last year.

The real question is what does the future landscape of the NHL look like? Articles are already popping up about a possible 34 team league not being out of the realm of possibility, so expand to Houston and Quebec. And now consider the possible relocation candidates: Coyotes/Flames/Panthers/Senators. Who knows? (though I'd assume the chance of relocation for two Canadian team are slim to none. Mainly included them based on recent rumblings from the owners).

ballhawks12

Reaction score
KK84":2ppb077j said:
seaky12":2ppb077j said:
Brett":2ppb077j said:

In my opinion, there is nothing in sports that compares to OT in a game 7 of a nhl playoff series. Nerve wracking would be a severe understatement.

Oh I'm in agreement with you 100% on that. I guess I kinda stuck my foot in my mouth in the way I worded that. But yeah, there is nothing like OT in game 7 during the NHL playoffs. The drama is built up from the previous games, and now that situation? Absolutely nothing compares. In addition to teams bringing everything they got, game 7 OT is why I always tell people to watch the Stanley Cup Playoffs before throwing in the towel on ice hockey. The best part? It usually happens 3-4 times per playoffs. Or it has since I've been watching anyways.

Though I will admit single-elimination is why I love NCAA basketball. Always fun watching the Cinderella teams take on the big dawgs and the tight game situations.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
First, the arena must be downtown Seattle. Must not make the mistake of other cities that located in the suburbs and are rueing the decision.

Second, I imagine an outdoor "Winter Classic" at the CLink would be epic! Canucks vs Seattle in front of 70,000 rabid fans.

Brett

Reaction score
Palmegranite":okgyz1fx said:
First, the arena must be downtown Seattle. Must not make the mistake of other cities that located in the suburbs and are rueing the decision.

Second, I imagine an outdoor "Winter Classic" at the CLink would be epic! Canucks vs Seattle in front of 70,000 rabid fans.

^^^^^^^ THIS, I was thinking about this the other day, man it would be amazing. This thing is not moving fast enough for me at all, I need more info and something to talk about NOW lol.

Latest posts