NHL Seattle Hockey club

kobebryant

Reaction score
The Minnesota Wild have the color scheme that would be perfect for Seattle.

But I wouldn't be opposed to adopting the old Minnesota North Stars colors now that Dallas has dropped the gold/yellow from their look.

The Hartford Whalers colors would be a good fit too, but perhaps too close to the Canucks/T-Birds.

Brett

Reaction score
I am just glad we are discussing it, I am tired of looking at the NHL to Seattle site and seeing nothing new lol.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3lfbqngc said:
Wouldn't shock me knowing this city council if they called the hockey team Supersonics then claimed they brought the Sonics back :lol:

Maybe we can just call them the Spacers... how appropriate would that be?

chris98251

Reaction score
Maybe Ice Poets, that's what they said could keep the Key in business after the Sonics left, Ice Capades and Poetry readings :)

ballhawks12

Reaction score
Brett":1q2z47l3 said:
seaky12":1q2z47l3 said:
Brett":1q2z47l3 said:
I just found this today, probably my favorite Metro's concept art so far. Love the sonics colors instead of the typical green, blue, and grey. So I would like to know what you all think of this, and if you can find some concept art that you like please post it up so we can discuss it !

ScyYC9O Brbu6p9MgXsSZnlA0YsiXZjJJHMrG0nRMMesk8SzgX

I love that color scheme and wouldn't mind seeing it.

But personally, I hope they are inspired by these colors for the new team, just to pay homage to the Metros :
O

Another color scheme I like is from the Minnesota White Bears concept:
0216-min-whitebears.jpg

Also, if they go Evergeens, I'd hope they would be inspired by the Toronto St. Pats (green/white is my favorite color combo). Perhaps these colors on a New York Islanders Brooklyn alternate type design:
TorontoStPats 636

I am not a fan of the Christmas colors at all man lol, but to each his own. I do like the green and white and honestly my favorite choice right now would be to steal the WHL team name of the Thunderbirds... Even though I was a Tacoma Rockets fan and cheering for the T-birds was bad joojoo lol.

But we could be the jolliest bunch of a-holes this side of the nut house!

To each their own bro lol. The Christmas colors could look boss if not overdone. But if I'm being completely honest, they would be best served as a throwback rather than the primary scheme. That way the team can start anew and establish its own identity while respecting the past. If I'm not mistaken, I think that is what the Minnesota Wild was going for when they changed the team name and colors rather than readopting the North Stars moniker and colors.

Speaking of Minnesota, am I alone in thinking that not going with the Northern Lights for a new franchise was a huge missed opportunity?

Northern Lights concept:
0216-min-northernlights.jpg

Twin Cities Northern Lights (junior hockey team). Check out this sweet knockoff logo:
46345396_760176_esp_0222.JPG

ballhawks12

Reaction score
kobebryant":1ukm2mlb said:
The Minnesota Wild have the color scheme that would be perfect for Seattle.

But I wouldn't be opposed to adopting the old Minnesota North Stars colors now that Dallas has dropped the gold/yellow from their look.

The Hartford Whalers colors would be a good fit too, but perhaps too close to the Canucks/T-Birds.

I'd be ecstatic if we went with any of those color schemes. Green/gold would be fantastic since there is no other team is currently using it. Aside from the Minnesota North Stars and California Golden Seals, has any other NHL team used the scheme? Looks like I have some googling to do!

KK84

Reaction score

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
KK84":eqwuvq2j said:
It's officially official. Expansion application with 10 million $ fee is in.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/963560368713826304[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ChrisDaniels5/status/963561170350129152[/tweet]

https://www.sonicsrising.com/2018/2/13/17010198/nhl-expansion-seattle-application

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22425683/seattle-makes-official-application-nhl-franchise

:irishdrinkers:
Awesomeness!!!! :2thumbs: :0190l: :179422: :229031_cheers: :229031_cheers: :229031_cheers: :229031_cheers: :229031_cheers: :229031_cheers: :fam: :kool-aid: :thRocks:

ballhawks12

Reaction score
KK84":vx8pyyqf said:

https://www.sonicsrising.com/2018/2/13/17010198/nhl-expansion-seattle-application

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22425683/seattle-makes-official-application-nhl-franchise

YES!!! Time to crack open a bottle of the good bourbon!

KK84

Reaction score
seaky12":2h8aix6g said:
KK84":2h8aix6g said:

YES!!! Time to crack open a bottle of the good bourbon!

Ron Paul Its Happening1

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Thats a payment of 10 with 640 more due when approved.
They want to see how many people buy season tickets before final ok.
It's a start though and wish I could buy some.
On the colors,I like the green/white..Sonic ones too
The Sonics are dead so why not use them..

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I think the goal will be the same as it was for Las Vegas..10K season ticket apps.

Wonder if that's doable.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3dr3o4nq said:
I think the goal will be the same as it was for Las Vegas..10K season ticket apps.

Wonder if that's doable.

Will be interesting to see what kind of packages they offer on the ticket pre-sale.

If they want full season ticket packages? Probably not for me, hopefully they have 3, 5, 10 game packages, etc.

I'm sure that news will be coming shortly.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The NHL came out with a statement today that said the Seattle application has been received, but there is no finite timeline as to approval.

Which makes sense, until there are shovels in the ground the NHL is not going to commit to an expansion placement year.

If I had to guess assuming the Key renovation project goes as promised, 2020 or 2021 would be a safe bet.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Said on the radio today they expect to tear down/Gut key arena minus the roof starting October/November. Depends on the environmental impact assessment and city council approval of it, which I imagine are formalities (they'll completely overlook the mercer mess and lack of parking).

Also concern there may be a lock out in 2020 meaning we may not start till 2021.

KK84

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2axufjv5 said:
Bobblehead":2axufjv5 said:

Wonder if that's doable.

Will be interesting to see what kind of packages they offer on the ticket pre-sale.

If they want full season ticket packages? Probably not for me, hopefully they have 3, 5, 10 game packages, etc.

I don't think we'll have a problem hitting that number. Vegas hit 5k within the first few days and 9k in the first month.
Also, season ticket drives almost never fail. The only one i can think of was the failed relocation from Hartford to Norfolk, Virginia.

Vegas offered 11 and 22 game packages in addition to full season tickets, so hopefully this franchise will do something similar.

Glasgow Seahawk":2axufjv5 said:
Said on the radio today they expect to tear down/Gut key arena minus the roof starting October/November. Depends on the environmental impact assessment and city council approval of it, which I imagine are formalities (they'll completely overlook the mercer mess and lack of parking).

Also concern there may be a lock out in 2020 meaning we may not start till 2021.

Most people seem to think that an expansion team arriving in 2020 with $650 Million in the owners pockets will incentivize getting a deal done. A lockout during a franchise's inaugural season would be shooting themselves in the foot pretty bad entering a new market.

Overall this is huge news. OVG would not have submitted an application and spent 10m without being confident the NHL would grant it. The only things that could prevent this from happening are:

The season ticket drive bombing (highly unlikely)
Something halts Key arena rebuild (EIS issue, unforseen political issue, etc.)

Now, the wait for the season ticket drive announcement begins.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
KK84":cy0ry9s5 said:
twisted_steel2":cy0ry9s5 said:
Bobblehead":cy0ry9s5 said:

Wonder if that's doable.

I don't think we'll have a problem hitting that number. Vegas hit 5k within the first few days and 9k in the first month.
Also, season ticket drives almost never fail. The only one i can think of was the failed relocation from Hartford to Norfolk, Virginia.

Vegas offered 11 and 22 game packages in addition to full season tickets, so hopefully this franchise will do something similar.

Glasgow Seahawk":cy0ry9s5 said:

Most people seem to think that an expansion team arriving in 2020 with $650 Million in the owners pockets will incentivize getting a deal done. A lockout during a franchise's inaugural season would be shooting themselves in the foot pretty bad entering a new market.

Overall this is huge news. OVG would not have submitted an application and spent 10m without being confident the NHL would grant it. The only things that could prevent this from happening are:

The season ticket drive bombing (highly unlikely)
Something halts Key arena rebuild (EIS issue, unforseen political issue, etc.)

Now, the wait for the season ticket drive announcement begins.

I can't see the season ticket drive fail. There's a huge gap for winter sports here. Maybe if the Sonics were still here as competition. At the very least there's going to be a novelty factor and a lot of tech workers here are not short of cash for season tickets to see what the deal is in the inaugural season.

I do think Seattle is shooting themselves in the foot preserving the roof on the Key. It's ugly and severely limits what they can do with capacity etc. If you could tear it down then you could make the building higher and the rows steeper to increase attendance. Most places in Europe don't think twice about tearing down ugly 60's buildings. I understand the Space Needle being preserved, its iconic, maybe even the monorail, the Key is not though and no one associates it when they think of Seattle. I cringe that they want to preserve that roof but seem happy to build a big tower block at the entrance of Pike market, arguably the most historic part of the city. Here's hoping they don't find anything wrong in the impact studies or the council changes again in the next few years and drags their heels like what happened with Hansen.

Other fear is a recession, we're probably due one, although Seattle was relatively sheltered compared to elsewhere last time.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Seattle Chronic.

Put a fatty weed leaf right on the front.