Norton new Raiders DC

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
jake206":an7yw543 said:
To me, this is a HUGE loss, more so than Quinn. He is like what Cable is to the offense. Norton was the big disciplinarian in the love thy brother ...emo-fest of Carroll. Without him, the toughness of the defense is weakened. I don't think we'll be as good on defense, especially the linebackers. Big step back. Unless Carroll has another multi-SuperBowl winning linebacker coach...I think this is a big mistake.
This isn't a young defense anymore. They don't need a raw-raw coach as much as some make it out to be, they hype themselves up.

Does it suck to lose him? Yeah. But he was never going to stay here forever. To say we are weakened is such an overblown overstatement it makes me laugh. It;s not like we will go through the season without a LB coach.

And how does Norton getting a promotion from another team a "big mistake" by the Hawks? It's not like Hawks fired him with no replacement in mind. Another team offered him a dream job, good for Norton.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
This one hurts. He's been with Pete a long time. In fact, he hasn't ever worked for a HC other than Pete.

Mick063

Reaction score
Bring in a linebacker coach that can figure out how to mitigate running backs as receivers.

jake206

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":7k8yzub9 said:
jake206":7k8yzub9 said:
To me, this is a HUGE loss, more so than Quinn. He is like what Cable is to the offense. Norton was the big disciplinarian in the love thy brother ...emo-fest of Carroll. Without him, the toughness of the defense is weakened. I don't think we'll be as good on defense, especially the linebackers. Big step back. Unless Carroll has another multi-SuperBowl winning linebacker coach...I think this is a big mistake.
This isn't a young defense anymore. They don't need a raw-raw coach as much as some make it out to be, they hype themselves up.

Does it suck to lose him? Yeah. But he was never going to stay here forever. To say we are weakened is such an overblown overstatement it makes me laugh. It;s not like we will go through the season without a LB coach.

And how does Norton getting a promotion from another team a "big mistake" by the Hawks? It's not like Hawks fired him with no replacement in mind. Another team offered him a dream job, good for Norton.

Its a mistake, because the Hawks let a good assistant go. Any other team would have blocked this to keep the coaching staff together. Norton has been with Carroll for over 10 years. He's been a mainstay with him through out his tenure with Carroll at SC and with the Seahawks. Replace him with who? Rocky Seto?? Geez I hope not.

LB crew is veteran, but they can still get lazy. Norton was the one that kept that group sharp. This team still needs a disciplinarian. Carroll is too soft to do it, and has his assistants do it for him. Norton had an aura that demanded respect. I don't see anyone else on the defensive coaching staff having that.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Kris Richard, for one, would not be the coach he is today without the influence of Norton. He was a very different coach when he first started six years ago. It's his turn to carry the torch.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
jake206":39ynsz0e said:
Its a mistake, because the Hawks let a good assistant go. Any other team would have blocked this to keep the coaching staff together.
I'm sorry, do you have any idea who our HC is??

It's apparent you don't because Carroll has said publicly multiple times he would NEVER block any of his guys from receiving promotions and how happy it makes it when they do get those promotions. Why would anyone want to work for a guy who blocks them for growing in their prospective careers?

AirStrike

Reaction score
HawkGA":gihcsn74 said:
dumbrabbit":gihcsn74 said:
What others said. Pete's only goal is to make his assistants get the dreams of their lives.

Do that enough and good assistants will come to you.

Yep. Holding a guy back from a promotion is just idiotic and a great way to lose credibility as an organization. Pete knows what it takes to build a winning organization that people, coaches and players, want to be apart of.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I just want everyone to know my assessment of the Norton hire is being retweeted by some pretty significant Oakland twitperts.

So, it's official, I'm now too good for all of you. I'm now considered an expert and on par with Hsu, Kelly, Crabtree and Myers. I'm out of here...you guys are now beneath me. You all suck. Prelag has purchased the right to post under my screenname.

XOXO

I'm Better Than You

jake206

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1dsl1sqg said:
jake206":1dsl1sqg said:
Its a mistake, because the Hawks let a good assistant go. Any other team would have blocked this to keep the coaching staff together.

It's apparent you don't because Carroll has said publicly multiple times he would NEVER block any of his guys from receiving promotions and how happy it makes it when they do get those promotions. Why would anyone want to work for a guy who blocks them for growing in their prospective careers?

Sure its fine and dandy to let assistant coaches promoted. Yeah Kumbaya. But, guess what happens when all your assistant coaches leave. Marquand Manuel gone. Dan Quinn gone. Ken Norton gone. Travis Jones (possibly) gone? And at some point, you've got nobody on your coaching staff that's competent.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
jake206":27mqrtzh said:
Hawkfan77":27mqrtzh said:
jake206":27mqrtzh said:

Sure its fine and dandy to let assistant coaches promoted. Yeah Kumbaya. But, guess what happens when all your assistant coaches leave. Marquand Manuel gone. Dan Quinn gone. Ken Norton gone. Travis Jones (possibly) gone? And at some point, you've got nobody on your coaching staff that's competent.
You honestly think Carroll is incapable of finding someone competent to coach our LBs? When has he ever had an incompetent defensive staff?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ScottEnyeart/status/563797724999323648[/tweet]

bandiger

Reaction score
Well its a bummer but great for Norton. Mixed feelings here.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2web23d8 said:
jake206":2web23d8 said:
Hawkfan77":2web23d8 said:
jake206":2web23d8 said:

You honestly think Carroll is incapable of finding someone competent to coach our LBs? When has he ever had an incompetent defensive staff?

He made this flippant remark after reading Alex Rozier's tweets about Richard and Seto's promotion. This was purely a question of keeping Richard, who has had more individual success at Seattle because of the LOB, or Norton after both were offered competing DC positions.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":o9g9uyea said:
So does Maxwell and Malcolm Smith now follow?
If we can't keep Maxwell, then I hope he gets overpaid to the tune of a 3rd round compensatory, and Oak has the cap room to make that happen

jake206

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3g7hc3er said:
jake206":3g7hc3er said:
Hawkfan77":3g7hc3er said:
jake206":3g7hc3er said:

You only reinforce my point, never has Carroll been without Norton on his Seahawks defensive staff. 10 years overall (pros & college). He was a mainstay of that coaching staff.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
jake206":3e2e2cm5 said:
You only reinforce my point, never has Carroll been without Norton on his defensive staff. 10 years.
And yet in all that time, he has never made Norton his DC. Even though he's had multiple DC openings, Norton has never gotten that promotion from Pete. Something to at least think about

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I dont understand the hand wringing here. When your assistants are allowed to take promotions at other teams, it opens up chances for others who were in their position (young, smart, hungry) to jump into their place with the understanding that the team and the coach help build their name.

Fine if you would rather have Norton than Richard. But it was one or the other, and it was unavoidable.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
This is just how PC rolls, he's a players coach and a coaches coach. That's why his coordinators and players are so good, because everyone wants to work for this man, so he gets the best of the best and the best out of his players and coaches.

jake206

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1updmuzh said:
I dont understand the hand wringing here. When your assistants are allowed to take promotions at other teams, it opens up chances for others who were in their position (young, smart, hungry) to jump into their place with the understanding that the team and the coach help build their name.

Fine if you would rather have Norton than Richard. But it was one or the other, and it was unavoidable.

We all know the real guru behind the DB's was Carroll. But LB, that was Norton's forte. I don't think we replace him. Promotion should have been for Norton, not this young buck Richard.

Latest posts