Norton new Raiders DC

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Great, the only person I want gone (bevell) is still here, meanwhile we lose quality coaches.

I can't wait to get Bevelled again next season

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
firebee":1gm72ev8 said:
ShaunPope":1gm72ev8 said:
Why in the hell didn't Pete make Norton our DC? Would've been a perfect fit IMO. What a stupid move letting him go.

My thoughts exactly... WTF!!!!!!

Quinn & the Falcons wanted Kris Richard to be DC over there, only way to keep him was to make him our DC. Hawks weren't in position to keep everyone, it was one or the other between Norton and Richard (lose Richard to ATL or lose Norton to OAK). Can't keep top talent forever, not in today's league.

kf3339

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3nkuseae said:
ShaunPope":3nkuseae said:
I'd gladly take Norton over Richard. Pete is the true DB coach. Norton is a tone setter and an animal. Brilliant LB coach as well.

Call me naive, but I'll trust Pete to scout his own coaching talent over what we perceive in Mic'ed Up videos.

Offensive side of the ball too?

irocdave

Reaction score
Congrats to Ken Norton. Pete will fill the position as all good head coaches have to do year in and year out. It's inevitable with a winning franchise, position coaches and coordinators get poached. Keeping a man from advancing his career for self serving reasons is pathetic in any industry. Poor people managers do this type of thing, people that are good at what they do suck it up and congratulate the guy and move on. That is true in all walks of life, not just in the NFL.

I would guess there's a reason Norton wasn't offered the D coordinator position that we will never hear about. There's no reason to not trust in Pete's decisions.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":moyxa2yw said:
Good for Ken.

Just throwing this name out there for his replacement

Lofa Tatupu
I laughed, but you may have something there. Brains made that man on the field and he has the Pete connection. If he can teach...

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I like Ken. Good for him. I'm proud of what he's accomplished for Seattle. When your assistants are getting raided, you're doing something right.

With that said, I have faith that Pete can find the right kind of coaches...and that he can coach coaches every bit as good as he coaches players. Whoever we get is going to see what Pete Carroll football is all about and will fit right in.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":32mwuoev said:
Guys, Ken Norton is great but he is an LB coach and our LBs, although there is obvious room for improvement are quite developed. Besides, some fresh blood might be nice.

...and/or one maybe better....our corps may be able to help the new coordinator into his position. When we get new kids in from whatever realm they come from....they will have a core of people that know A LOT of the schemes we employ. It should be easier for them to emulate with a few new twists from the new coordinator if he has any. At least this is my opinion.....I think. :shock:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I'm thinking the options were keeping him at LBer coach or letting him walk. My speculation is that Norton only said he was happy staying at LBer coach because Carroll never offered to promote him. If he was honest, he knew the media would run with it.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
irocdave":35lfp2iw said:
Congrats to Ken Norton. Pete will fill the position as all good head coaches have to do year in and year out. It's inevitable with a winning franchise, position coaches and coordinators get poached. Keeping a man from advancing his career for self serving reasons is pathetic in any industry. Poor people managers do this type of thing, people that are good at what they do suck it up and congratulate the guy and move on. That is true in all walks of life, not just in the NFL.

I would guess there's a reason Norton wasn't offered the D coordinator position that we will never hear about. There's no reason to not trust in Pete's decisions.
Yup! We agree on something.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Now that Norton is with the Raiders, he needs to fit the image; have someone restore an old Norton Commando 850 as his commuter bike. Black and silver paint scheme.

firebee

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":2f8r3x02 said:
This is just how PC rolls, he's a players coach and a coaches coach. That's why his coordinators and players are so good, because everyone wants to work for this man, so he gets the best of the best and the best out of his players and coaches.

Unless your Darrell Bevell... Than you get his worst.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
My loss aversion bemoans this event and ask, "Waaaah, why didn't we throw a bunch of money at him and promote him to the defensive not-quite-coordinator-but-still-really-important or some other made up title and corroborating position?"

Everything else says this is great. We get to further demonstrate our organization as a career catapult for other talented coaches working their way up the NFL's coaching rungs, and while Norton himself will certainly be missed, the attitude he brought and the skills he helped hone aren't exactly leaving with him. The players aren't going to just abandon what they've gotten from Norton upon his departure. They get to keep the very best of his work and add it to whatever Norton's replacement brings.

As a result, we could get better or we could get worse, but neither can occur without some sort of change. With these guys, we all know where the smart money is.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Good for Norton, kinda sucky for us.

Raiders instantly surpassed the 9ers with this one move.

tooshort

Reaction score
Jim Zorn was at my store again today and we were talking about how surprised we were by this hire since there really hadn't been any signs of Norton wanting to move up the ladder. Jim did say that from his experience it would be very hard to turn down an unexpected promotion and with Ken and Jack's history as well as scheme fit with the Oakland roster it made sense for him to move on.

Over the last two days I have had the honor of talking through our loss with Max Unger and Jim Zorn and if you think you took it hard as a fan you should know you're not alone. The old and new players are frickin distraught over this game , at least Max gets to go decompress on his family's 10,000 acres in Hawaii for the next few months, gee.. Wouldn't that be nice!!!

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
1st thought: bummer for us.
2nd thought: good for Ken.
3rd thought: we'll be OK. Pete has a plan.

My reason it seemed like a bummer at first: I had a little story in my head that Richard would be DC now, Ken would stay at LB, then when Pete retired after 7 years and 4 more SB's, Cable or Richard would take the reigns (and whomever didn't would get a HC job somewhere else), Ken would become DC, Mike Rob would come back to be RB coach and assistant OC with Zorn, Hasselbeck, or some wild card as OC.

Oh well. Whatever happens, I'll be on the edge of my seat.

GO HAWKS!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Congrats to Coach Norton this was a timely move for him The Raiders are getting a good coach.

I agree this loss bites and will take away some street cred and just plain toughness from the linebackers coaching staff, but like any position coach their time runs out and they get promoted if they are talented. Pete encourages growth for everyone on his team and losing talented coaches goes with the program as they are in demand because of the continuing success of the team. It's a change that was likely anticipated and Pete has created a program where talented young coaches can see being part of it even for just a few seasons can improve their prospects for advancement because of the learning environment. I suspect Pete is assessing what to do as result of these coaching losses, there have now been 4 important Asst. Coaches swiped so far. I think he'll find solid replacements ad the team will move forward still strong. That said I will miss Coach Norton more than most others.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
jake206":1ooj8lto said:
Uncle Si":1ooj8lto said:
I dont understand the hand wringing here. When your assistants are allowed to take promotions at other teams, it opens up chances for others who were in their position (young, smart, hungry) to jump into their place with the understanding that the team and the coach help build their name.

Fine if you would rather have Norton than Richard. But it was one or the other, and it was unavoidable.

We all know the real guru behind the DB's was Carroll. But LB, that was Norton's forte. I don't think we replace him. Promotion should have been for Norton, not this young buck Richard.
This is Carroll defense, but if you think he has more time as the HC to develop the DB'S over Richard the DB coach I don't know what to tell you. Pete has his vision and he chooses coaches to develop and assist in producing his vision. Give Richard his credit because it is due.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Make Sherman and earl Thomas co-db player/coaches. With earls passion and sherms smarts I actually think it would be great, and would be an interesting experiment.