Norton new Raiders DC

jake206

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2l8mjfj8 said:
jake206":2l8mjfj8 said:
You only reinforce my point, never has Carroll been without Norton on his defensive staff. 10 years.
And yet in all that time, he has never made Norton his DC. Even though he's had multiple DC openings, Norton has never gotten that promotion from Pete. Something to at least think about

Yeah, meaning, Norton might never have asked for the promotion. ... or he didn't think the situation was right or Pete didn't think it was right. We'll prolly never know.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
jake206":34a3l31c said:
Hawkfan77":34a3l31c said:
jake206":34a3l31c said:
You only reinforce my point, never has Carroll been without Norton on his defensive staff. 10 years.
And yet in all that time, he has never made Norton his DC. Even though he's had multiple DC openings, Norton has never gotten that promotion from Pete. Something to at least think about

Yeah, meaning, Norton might never have asked for the promotion. ... or he didn't think the situation was right or Pete didn't think it was right. We'll prolly never know.
This is the point I'm trying to make.

But also, Norton was either going to be the Hawks DC next year or someone else's. Either way, he was never going to be our LB coach next year.

cesame

Reaction score
Maybe Norton wants to run his own defensive philosophy and not be restricted by what Carroll will allow

Carroll's been running the same defense for decades and he's not going to change it. Whoever the DC is has to make their game plan under Pete's guidelines.

He gets more freedom with the Raiders

hawknation2015

Reaction score
cesame":27o1bauu said:
Maybe Norton wants to run his own defensive philosophy and not be restricted by what Carroll will allow

Carroll's been running the same defense for decades and he's not going to change it. Whoever the DC is has to make their game plan under Pete's guidelines.

He gets more freedom with the Raiders

Probably not . . . Del Rio has his own defensive philosophy. But he is friends with Del Rio, so there's that.

netskier

Reaction score
IIRC, I've read here numerous times that Norton did not want to be the DC here. I wonder what happened.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
netskier":mholco2j said:
IIRC, I've read here numerous times that Norton did not want to be the DC here. I wonder what happened.

I would guess a perfect storm of ego and timing. He watched Richard grow into the coach he is today. Maybe he didn't like the idea of being passed over. And then his old teammate offers him an equivalent position? Gone.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Man this sucks.......................Ken was a great coached and the payers loved playing for him. Finding someone to replace him will be very difficult. This constant turnover of coaches is gonna hurt us here soon.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Blitzer88":bn4fny5a said:
Man this sucks.......................Ken was a great coached and the payers loved playing for him. Finding someone to replace him will be very difficult. This constant turnover of coaches is gonna hurt us here soon.

Really hurt those Patriots over the last 15 years.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I don't really care either way, as I have trust in Pete that he'll find a great replacement for Norton.

The biggest issue I can see is that we're probably going to lose Malcom Smith. I hope Norton leaving doesn't stunt Irvin's growth, or KPL's either for that matter.

Irvin, in particular, was on an upward trend. Coupled with his athleticism, he still might turn into one of the best OLB's in the league. He has that potential, and I hope the next guy can unlock it.

sc85sis

Reaction score
jake206":2ocg3q9r said:
You only reinforce my point, never has Carroll been without Norton on his defensive staff. 10 years. He was a mainstay of that coaching staff.
Stating "never" is incorrect.

Nick Holt coached USC's linebackers under Pete from 2001-2003. Rocky Seto took that position for 2004 and 2005 after Nick became head coach at Idaho. Ken came in as a grad assistant helping with LBs starting in 2004 and became the primary LB coach in 2006. Rocky then moved to secondary coach (he had been an assistant with the secondary in 2003).

DavidSeven

Reaction score
jake206":2axx9vza said:
You only reinforce my point, never has Carroll been without Norton on his defensive staff. 10 years. He was a mainstay of that coaching staff.

Carroll won a national title in 2003 before Norton ever joined his staff.

GCrow

Reaction score
This week:

man-standing-in-the-rain-gif.gif

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Good for Ken.

Just throwing this name out there for his replacement

Lofa Tatupu

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3abpitkw said:

As long as Pete is here his defense won't change

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Guys, Ken Norton is great but he is an LB coach and our LBs, although there is obvious room for improvement are quite developed. Besides, some fresh blood might be nice.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
ShaunPope":3l5oaqwy said:
Why in the hell didn't Pete make Norton our DC? Would've been a perfect fit IMO. What a stupid move letting him go.

Well, since Pete has worked side by side with Norton for over a decade, I think he knew how he would 'fit' (or not) as DC better than you do.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree here. Coaching talent is not finite. Look at Gruden, Holmgren, Reid, etc. Norton being promoted is a good thing for this organization. Pete is building a coaching tree and legacy. This is fantastic news

Latest posts