Not much to say after this one

Cartire

Reaction score
I just like that our biggest complaints and debates are all about backups.

Remember when we had these arguments about starters....

Largent80

Reaction score
seahawksny":3skdlz8y said:
I don't like this fellow 12's.

My guess is that you liked the previous 2 games at home?

If you think the game was shit what do you think the players feel? My guess is they are in a film room at this moment.

My guess also is that they are going to go after it in practice this week. What you saw yesterday will not happen in the regular season.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I'm waiting on the fans to point to this 4th Preseason Game as evidence that the Seahawks can't win on the road.

glad2bdada3

Reaction score
You're right, not much to say except almost everyone who played after the starters got off the field should get cut

hoxrox

Reaction score
I'm not seeing enough from our D-line starters or depth that indicates we'll be the dominate Run D we were last year.

Yes, it's a passing league, but it's also a copy-cat league. Teams are going to try be more smash mouth. We need to be able to stop the Run. Right now Hill and Scruggs leave something to be desired. McDaniel is OK, but I really liked what McDonald, Clemons and Big Red did for us.

Lacy will be the first test.

The highlight of the night for me meeting Momma Lynch and family! Really cool, down to earth people.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Compliments
1. Russell Wilson is in the zone, what Carroll refers to as a physical and mental state of peak performance. He has been near flawless in his decision making going into Year Three, and Darrell Bevell has done an excellent job deploying his play makers in a way that had made the first team offense look versatile, unpredictable, and dynamic.

2. J.R. Sweezy was a BEAST on that first series. He has improved so dramatically in his technique as a pass blocker. Besides a holding call, Okung bounced back nicely while taking some extended reps to get him ready for prime time. Britt played a decent game overall. He's going to get beaten a lot in pass pro, but I think Wilson will handle it just fine as long as Okung does his job. Garry Gilliam impressed me as the 6th linemen in the jumbo package, essentially returning to the TE position he played in college. Gilliam outplayed Schilling and Hauptmann, as well as Jeanpierre for that matter. Unfortunately, none of our backup interior linemen looked solid in this game. Kiero Small was excellent as a blocker, and he had a nice catch in the flat before leveling a corner for the first down. Small also excelled on special teams with two hard tackles.

3. B.J. Daniels has the "it" factor, great instincts, escapability in the pocket, and touch on his throws. I really hope he makes it to the PS, but I kind of doubt it. His QB intelligence makes him twice the QB Terrelle Pryor will ever be. The Niners will claim B.J. about half a second after he is waived.

4. Nice play by reserve guys Walters and Bronson. Walters' returns and TD catch were impressive. He just needs to learn how to hold the ball high and tight. Until he does that, he's a fumble waiting to happen. Bronson was fighting for extra yards every time he touched the football, including knocking guys over and falling forward for the first down. He's much better at breaking tackles than Turbin, though I would have liked to have seen him play more third downs to test his blocking. Bronson on the PS would be ideal as an emergency option in case someone gets hurt.

Complaints
1. Some of our backup defensive linemen looked kind of pitiful today, namely Jordan Hill and Benson Mayowa. Neither has any acumen for stopping the run. Hill at least flashed as a pass rusher, but his run stopping ability left so much to be desired. Wow, that was ugly. Hill is strictly a third and long kind of player. Scruggs was at least committed to his assignments, but still looked pretty bad. On the other end of the spectrum, Schofield was great as usual at generating pressure.

2. Who is our nickel corner if Lane is hurt? Phillip Adams' cover skills are atrocious. He does not look like an NFL player. Auguste was also beat a lot. A team strength suddenly appears to be a weak spot with Simon/Lane out and Terrell Thomas released.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
It would be nice if Richardson had caught ONE deep pass this preseason or at least looked competent in the attempt. Some of them were not his fault, but there were others where Jermaine Kearse is bringing it in every time.

What bothers me more than the results is the process. He looks completely unnatural and clumsy on deep pass attempts.

formido

Reaction score
Reminded me of the Tampa Bay game last year. In both cases a horrible team with nothing to lose came out relaxed and gambling and in both cases it paid off for awhile. Against Tampa Bay, lucky ball placement got a TD over ET and in this game lucky ball placement got a one-handed third down conversion on Sherman. Carr should have been picked at the goal line but instead it became a TD. Plenty of bad play by backups but also plenty of luck for Tampa Bay. Looking forward to the rematch. I hope Carr starts.

I liked when ET fought off the stiff-arm while slapping at the ball. He was so close to landing one, and it would have been a fumble for sure.

Richardson isn't great at jump balls. He had some highlight-worthy ones in college, like when that Oregon NFL prospect pinned one of his arms to his side--so maybe he'll get better--but his main problem has been Pryor underthrowing him into jump ball situations. Quit making him come back to the defender, let him run under the ball! That's what his gift is, use it. Find a player's strength and exploit it. That's how winning is done.

sc85sis

Reaction score
kearly":1y7gwqkw said:
It would be nice if Richardson had caught ONE deep pass this preseason or at least looked competent in the attempt. Some of them were not his fault, but there were others where Jermaine Kearse is bringing it in every time.

What bothers me more than the results is the process. He looks completely unnatural and clumsy on deep pass attempts.
To be fair, Kearse should be bringing it every time--he's a third-year player. Richardson is a rookie. Yes he was drafted and Kearse wasn't, but at this point that doesn't really matter. Reps and coaching do.

He'll get better, Kip. Patience.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kearly":3rubm5bd said:

Couple things;

1. There's an art to running deep routes, you don't just run in a straight line. Richardson is still learning how to get off the line and down the field on time.

2. He's been playing with the 2nd and 3rd string QB's, which means he's not exactly getting good looks. I guarantee you Russell would have hit him a few times this preseason if he was with the first teamers..........just as we've seen in practice.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
sc85sis":25h1zysv said:
kearly":25h1zysv said:

To be fair, Kearse should be bringing it every time--he's a third-year player. Richardson is a rookie. Yes he was drafted and Kearse wasn't, but at this point that doesn't really matter. Reps and coaching do.

He'll get better, Kip. Patience.

That toe-tap catch along the sideline was a beautiful play by Richardson.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I don't get the negativity towards Richardson at all. He has shown an ability to run good clean routes and the moment the defense doesn't respect his incredible speed I have no doubt Russel will be able to hit him in stride for a game breaking play.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":2i1dkwqt said:
Carr didn't care who he threw at. He actually completed a pass on Sherman. You could see Sherm was pissed.
I love me some Sherman, but he played like he expected his reputation should be enough to make any Quarterback fear throwing the ball to his area of cover.
He was pissed because Carr embarrassed his ass for all to see.
There isn't a gigantic drop off in talent anywhere in this League, well...except for Russell Wilson playing against the Raiders 1st team Defense.
Honestly?, I'd be damned surprised if Carr isn't named the starting Quarterback for the Raiders, especially after his performance in this game, AND, I no longer think that T-Jack as being one of the best backups in the League.
Everyone keeps saying that the Seahawks were just playing "Vanilla", really?, where was the "Vanilla"? LOL

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
scutterhawk":382n9e7n said:
I love me some Sherman, but he played like he expected his reputation should be enough to make any Quarterback fear throwing the ball to his area of cover.

The preseason makes for brave men.

My guess is if this was the regular season Carr would have been a hell of a lot tighter and cautious with his throws. He was going for broke trying to win the starting QB spot, so good for him for chucking it around on us...........but I GUARANTEE you he'll be far more cautious when those balls start becoming interceptions in the regular season.

Anthony!

Reaction score
LaSeeno":3tsp7lhl said:
Hawks46":3tsp7lhl said:
Personally, I don't give much of a rip outside of the first series for our defense. Oakland played all of their starters except Shaub, and I'm honestly thinking Carr is already better at this point. It's not inspiring that the Raiders drove right down the field on us in that first series and punched it in.

LOL! Did you watch the game? Oakland sat almost every single starter. I think they said 18/22 sat. And at least one was Khalil Mack who plays D. Name one Oakland starter who played O? It was Oaklands 2nd and 3rd string O against the Seattle 1st team D for at least two drives, then some starters stayed in through the 1st half.

Dude that was not our 1st team d they were missing several players, and others barely played

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3n9jyvki said:
I don't get the negativity towards Richardson at all. He has shown an ability to run good clean routes and the moment the defense doesn't respect his incredible speed I have no doubt Russel will be able to hit him in stride for a game breaking play.
THIS^^
That tippy toe catch on the sideline for the first down, pretty much sold me on his heads-up, and I think we're going to see a lot more outstanding plays from this kid.

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":hjhhicte said:
If Pryor wins a roster spot he will win the title of being the worst player to ever play in a Seahawk uniform in the regular season.

I can see it, but he is still the least skilled QB I have ever seen on a Hawk team. There are actually people I saw passing footballs at the beach that are better.

Will be disappointing if we lose a good WR or player like Small because we keep a waste of space / slot like Pryor.

Uhh no. Julius Jones owns that distinction.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
kearly":4wjgt5d4 said:
It's not entirely his fault, but there might not be a receiver on our roster that I trust less on a target beyond 15 yards than Richardson. I like him, but he's been like the anti-Jermaine Kearse this preseason.

Oh, the irony. Hearing all the talking heads and reading all the write-ups about him after he was drafted, I thought Richardson was drafted to be a stripper, what with all the talk of him "taking the top off".

I sincerely believe that Pete and Darrell have been slow-playing their hand with Richardson. After verifying he could be the deep threat he was touted to be via several examples in practice, they have been running him on short, intermediate, and comeback routes mostly in preseason.

Not only has it been useful and necessary to get him work underneath, to see how he handles traffic, creates space, etc, but it takes the focus off what he does best. It wouldn't shock me at all if they take a shot or two with him in the Packers game. I will be curious to see the response from fellow .net'ers after he's made a big play or two. :snack:

Cartire

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1s6lua02 said:
If Pryor wins a roster spot he will win the title of being the worst player to ever play in a Seahawk uniform in the regular season.

I can see it, but he is still the least skilled QB I have ever seen on a Hawk team. There are actually people I saw passing footballs at the beach that are better.

Will be disappointing if we lose a good WR or player like Small because we keep a waste of space / slot like Pryor.

Has the whole forum turned to Hyperbole? The worst player, least skilled? Lets set aside some of the horrible backups we had in the 90's. Lets just go to this decade.

Charlie Whitehurst. How he still has a job in this league is insane. Go ahead and give the guy a cookie for winning one game while with us against a horrible St. Louis team so we could go on to the WC game. But that was it, and even that game he wasnt good. He just didnt throw the game away. The guy was/is just bad. We could of actually made the playoffs again in 2011 if CW could even just put us in FG range against Cleveland of all teams.

Latest posts