Not Overreacting

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was shocked that we couldn't score a single point after 17 points. Once again we look like world beaters in the first part of the game and then went MIA the the rest of the game. I knew this was going to be a tough game to win but man, really? No points after the first half?!?

My neighbor comes out at halftime (actually a very astute football fan) and says, "I cannot for the life of me understand how in the world your defense allows a wide open field up the middle ALL THE TIME!"

Damn good point.

Our defense, besides our run DL, is terrible. It's hard to watch. Yes, we have a supremely talented offense that could be Top 5 but I think we underestimated just how long it might take for them all to gell and cement their indentity.

And here we sit. Cellar in the NFC West at 1-2. And the season gets worse. 9ers and Rams? Ugh.

They need to figure this out and pronto or we are looking at 1-4.

Jase

Reaction score
Aros":1d9hjfzz said:
My neighbor comes out at halftime (actually a very astute football fan) and says, "I cannot for the life of me understand how in the world your defense allows a wide open field up the middle ALL THE TIME!"

Damn good point.

K.J.

Same with the screens.

K.J.

taylorvon29

Reaction score
I agree with the above poster. 13 million in cap space and we don't resign KJ? what is the reasoning?

Quite frankly, what is the the reasoning for anything Pete does these days? Pete speaks on hard smash mouth football yet passes on Nick Chubb? Passes on Sweat. Takes a 3rd WR in a draft class rich in interior C/G. I honestly think Pete has lost his way. He either admits his wrongs like a man and corrects them or he can gtfo of here. But with an ownership vacuum, I suspect the latter is not an option at all.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Fade

Reaction score
Aros":2k1e3nw3 said:
I was shocked that we couldn't score a single point after 17 points. Once again we look like world beaters in the first part of the game and then went MIA the the rest of the game. I knew this was going to be a tough game to win but man, really? No points after the first half?!?

Damn good point.

Our defense is terrible besides our run DL, It',.s hard to watch. Yes, we have a supremely talented offense that could be Top 5 but I think we underestimated just how long it might take for them all to gell and cement their indentity.

And here we sit. Cellar in the NFC West at 1-2. And the season gets worse. 9ers and Rams? Ugh.

They just gave up 140 yards to Minny's backup RB. They are bad at stopping the run, too.

They are not good at anything on defense, despite have a lot of good players and high draft picks on that side of the ball.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Aros":1pe4tcn4 said:

Damn good point.

Our defense, besides our run DL, is terrible. It's hard to watch. Yes, we have a supremely talented offense that could be Top 5 but I think we underestimated just how long it might take for them all to gell and cement their indentity.

Supremely talented offense? Supremely talented offenses don't get shut down in the 2nd halves of football games.

In our first 3 games, we have yet to score a single point in the 3rd quarter. Had it not been for that epic defensive break down the Titans suffered in the 4th quarter of last week, our 2nd half production in those 3 games would have been just the 7 points we scored in the 4th quarter on the now 0-3 Colts. And that doesn't even speak to our offense's miserable overtime performance last week.

Characterizing our offense as "supremely talented" seems to me to be overly generous.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, can't sugar coat it one bit. This looks like an average team. The defense is BRUTAL. Zero adjustments by the coaching staff across the board. Zero discipline. Guess the Deb's were right. I can't even argue it at this point. A lot of football left, but I see a team that has a lot of talent and a coach and coaching staff that has NO clue how to use them.

Prove me wrong Hawks. Please.

RiverDog

Reaction score
One of the things that sticks out about our coaching staff, on both offense and defense, is our 2nd half adjustments, or rather, the lack of.

In all 3 games, our 2nd half performance was far worse than our first half. We've been outscored 40-13 after the intermission so far this season.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
taylorvon29":st2iqf0s said:
I agree with the above poster. 13 million in cap space and we don't resign KJ? what is the reasoning?

Quite frankly, what is the the reasoning for anything Pete does these days? Pete speaks on hard smash mouth football yet passes on Nick Chubb? Passes on Sweat. Takes a 3rd WR in a draft class rich in interior C/G. I honestly think Pete has lost his way. He either admits his wrongs like a man and corrects them or he can gtfo of here. But with an ownership vacuum, I suspect the latter is not an option at all.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Browns got lucky on Chubb and I won't hear anything to the contrary. You really advocate taking running backs who have already blown their knees out in the first round?

xray

Reaction score
Why meltdowns and overreacting ? Why are so many fans surprised with this ? What we are seeing has been coming for at least 2 years . Fans, who rah-rah the Super Bowl vibe , need to settle down and be realistic . The Hawks will be OK , but not much better than just OK . IMO

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nah, you'll just blame Russ for everything like you usually do. So there is that.......
The Defense is by FAR the biggest problem with this team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":29x6k740 said:
Yep, can't sugar coat it one bit. This looks like an average team. The defense is BRUTAL. Zero adjustments by the coaching staff across the board. Zero discipline. Guess the Deb's were right. I can't even argue it at this point. A lot of football left, but I see a team that has a lot of talent and a coach and coaching staff that has NO clue how to use them.

Prove me wrong Hawks. Please.

There's nothing to adjust other than running two new DB's out there.

When both your DB's are throwing the coaches under the bus and blaming scheme as to why they aren't within 10 yards of the receivers they're suppose to be covering..........in week 3? Not good.

I'm not normally a knee jerk fan, but IMO it sure looks like Pete's lost this team. I see a flat, confused and frustrated team that's playing with no juice.

This is what you see with a 10 loss team in week 14, not a supposed playoff caliber team in week 3.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
RiverDog":3kkzxnvh said:
Supremely talented offense? Supremely talented offenses don't get shut down in the 2nd halves of football games.

In our first 3 games, we have yet to score a single point in the 3rd quarter. Had it not been for that epic defensive break down the Titans suffered in the 4th quarter of last week, our 2nd half production in those 3 games would have been just the 7 points we scored in the 4th quarter on the now 0-3 Colts. And that doesn't even speak to our offense's miserable overtime performance last week.

Characterizing our offense as "supremely talented" seems to me to be overly generous.

Perhaps I was being a bit generous but I do believe this offense has all the talent needed to be a top 5 offense in the NFL. They just aren't clicking yet, obviously. They show spurts of what they can be and how dangerous they can be but clearly they have yet to hit their stride. Their disappearing act in the second half of games is something to be concerned about for sure.

I'm far from hitting the panic button. It's week 3. But if we lose our next two against divisional rivals, hell yes it's time to hit the button.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Aros":ya7hi84q said:
RiverDog":ya7hi84q said:

Perhaps I was being a bit generous but I do believe this offense has all the talent needed to be a top 5 offense in the NFL. They just aren't clicking yet, obviously. They show spurts of what they can be and how dangerous they can be but clearly they have yet to hit their stride. Their disappearing act in the second half of games is something to be concerned about for sure.

I'm far from hitting the panic button. It's week 3. But if we lose our next two against divisional rivals, hell yes it's time to hit the button.

It will take a while for the offense to click, which is normal with a new coordinator and new playbook.

My concern is we don't have "a while." With as bad as the defense is (and it's HISTORICALLY bad right now), and with how good our division is, this offense doesn't have until week 8 to hit it's stride.

They're gonna be out of it by then.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Reed and Flowers are taking a lot of blame for something that is mostly not their fault.

Of course, they are going to want to point that out.

The job of the DC is to put the defensive players in a position to succeed. The DC is not doing this, and is, in fact - putting them in a position to not only fail - but take most of the blame.

Part of this is just reality, neither one should be covering the 1s except as a backup. But part is just really really bad tactical planning and deployment - the problem is not them doing a poor job executing, the problem is the plan is dumb.

That isn't on them, but they are being asked to answer for it. Of course, they would take umbrage with that.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2yupn84w said:
Reed and Flowers are taking a lot of blame for something that is mostly not their fault.

The job of the DC is to put the defensive players in a position to succeed. The DC is not doing this, and is, in fact - putting them in a position to not only fail - but take most of the blame.

Part of this is just reality, neither one should be covering the 1s except as a backup. But part is just really really bad tactical planning and deployment - the problem is not them doing a poor job executing, the problem is the plan is dumb.

That isn't on them, but they are being asked to answer for it. Of course, they would take umbrage with that.
Isn't Carroll's whole thing about beating opposing teams with superior talent and physical attributes? Making scheming 3rd on his list of priorities?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":3jm9o3ze said:
TwistedHusky":3jm9o3ze said:

Isn't Carroll's whole thing about beating opposing teams with superior talent and physical attributes? Making scheming 3rd on his list of priorities?

Yes, but when you don't have superior talent you do need to make sure your fits, schemes and in game adjustments are perfect.

That's really the most shocking part of the demise of Pete's defense, that's suppose to be his expertise......developing and coaching up the defensive side of the ball, and particularly DB's.

So for this team's Achilles heal going on year # 5 after the LOB to still be terrible DB drafting, developing and coaching? AND that defense is playing unsound mistake riddled football?

Yikes.