Not Overreacting

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Ken Nort\on Jr. should be a position coach, not a DC. This is Pete's MO, promote loyal friends rather than hire the best person for the job. Pete has always believed he would effectively be the DC by default, but he's past the point where he can do two jobs.We're also past the point where we can get a new DC, so this will have to go on the 2022 to-do list.

gabel

Reaction score
I agree with the above poster. 13 million in cap space and we don't resign KJ? what is the reasoning?

Has anybody actually watched KJ play this year? I love the guy but he has 2 tackles, yesterday he played 9 whole snaps. They didn't sign KJ because after 11 years in the league he slowing down. Carlos Dunlop also looks like his best days are long gone. This defense needs to get younger, we need stop making quick fixes.

Fade

Reaction score
@ Aros you were correct about them being a supremely talented offense. They are #1 in Offensive DVOA.

It's just that defense has gotten so bad, that isn't enough anymore.

Teams that have averaged 7.0 yards a play and no turnovers are 12-2 in the last 2 seasons. The two losses are the Seahawks last 2 games. The defense has gotten so bad it is dragging the franchise down into the abyss.

The the defense is so bad that every single offensive drive is (unfairly) put under the microscope.

It feels like every game is last year's Bills game. The defense ranks 32nd in yards (can't get off the field) and has 0 interceptions. Hell, they only have 5 passes defensed the whole season and some of those are from DL.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
gabel":3s8bh8b4 said:
This defense needs to get younger, we need stop making quick fixes.

Collier
Amadi
Blair
Robinson
Brooks
Barton
BBK
Taylor
Flowers
Green

Those are the younger portion of our defensive roster, and I could argue that NONE of these players has produced consistently, let alone come close to being the next wave of breakout playmakers that every roster depends on if you've drafted well..............and the players that were drafted before these guys? Already gone.

This is why you've had to trade all your picks for band aid fixes and supposed playmakers like Adams and Dunlap.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Fade":grs6dj38 said:
@ Aros you were correct about them being a supremely talented offense. They are #1 in Offensive DVOA.

Teams that have averaged 7.0 yards a play and no turnovers are 12-2 in the last 2 seasons. The two losses are the Seahawks last 2 games. The defense has gotten so bad it is dragging the franchise down into the abyss.

The the defense is so bad that every single offensive drive is (unfairly) put under the microscope.

It feels like every game is last year's Bills game. The defense ranks 32nd in yards (can't get off the field) and has 0 interceptions. Hell, they only have 5 passes defensed the whole season and some of those are from DL.

And who is in charge of the defense? You can fire KNJ all you want, but he's just put out the schemes that Pete allows. The buck stops with the person in charge. Pete. He is past prime. I don't even care about his embarrassing oversized Mickey Mouse ortho shoes or whatever.

You can try to point out specific players or positions, or lower coaches, but there's still a lack of cohesiveness and consistency, which ultimately lands on Coach's shoulders. The range of talent in NFL players is mostly moot, with the exception of elite position players. It's a matter of coaching.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
I was speaking in general, adding onto Fade's post, not attacking Fade. "You" was addressing other posters here.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
AubHawk71":3l43hsij said:
Fade":3l43hsij said:

And who is in charge of the defense? You can fire KNJ all you want, but he's just put out the schemes that Pete allows. The buck stops with the person in charge. Pete. He is past prime. I don't even care about his embarrassing oversized Mickey Mouse ortho shoes or whatever.

You can try to point out specific players or positions, or lower coaches, but there's still a lack of cohesiveness and consistency, which ultimately lands on Coach's shoulders. The range of talent in NFL players is mostly moot, with the exception of elite position players. It's a matter of coaching.
:ditto:
I think he's running exactly what Pete wants.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":g8u5sm92 said:
pittpnthrs":g8u5sm92 said:
SoulfishHawk":g8u5sm92 said:
The Defense is by FAR the biggest problem with this team.

Coaching staff

So the defense isn't coached by the coaching staff?

Is it the players or the schemers? Take your pick. Talent looks a lot better on papers than the actual results doesnt it? Even if the players had no talent, thats also on the coaching staff.

Coaching staff is the teams biggest problem.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":3r1vbdet said:
AubHawk71":3r1vbdet said:
Fade":3r1vbdet said:

:ditto:
I think he's running exactly what Pete wants.

Kinda yes and no. Quinn, Bradley and Richard were rushing 4 most of the time. Norton is blitzing LBs and safeties a lot more. This is more of a Norton wrinkle, I think. Also last year when the defense improved after that accountability meeting, it was Norton's idea to revert back to some of cover concepts they were successful with previously.

My take is that Pete isn't involved enough these days. He coaches on a macro level. He doesn't get too involved in the details as much as he used to, and instead delegates this to his coordinators.

When asked after the game why Sidney Jones is not playing, he said he wanted him to be, "but they couldn't it done" That is perplexing. He is the HC. So either Jones is not ready, or he's not telling the coaches what to do?

AubHawk71

Reaction score
I guess the point is to have fun at the VMAC and get paid obscene amounts of money, to heck with actually winning or losing on Sunday. What does Pete care? He's a made man.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, every time they lose he acts like things will be just fine. I doubt I'm the only one who gets sick of hearing what they "should have done" in a loss :?

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":du9zfxxn said:
Hockey Guy":du9zfxxn said:
pittpnthrs":du9zfxxn said:
SoulfishHawk":du9zfxxn said:
The Defense is by FAR the biggest problem with this team.

Coaching staff

Is it the players or the schemers? Take your pick. Talent looks a lot better on papers than the actual results doesnt it? Even if the players had no talent, thats also on the coaching staff.

Stop acting like you haven't read this board today.

Even the moderates on the board, which include Soul & myself, are firmly in the "the coaching sucks & is a f***ing embarrassment" camp.

It's pretty disingenuous to try to insinuate that he was solely talking about the players & not the coaches in his post. You're just looking to get someone to s*** your d*** & say how smart you are & that you were right all along.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh it's maddening Soulfish...Truly. I cringe whenever I hear comments like that after a bad loss.

Speaking of cringe-worthy, I was watching an interview with Everett after the game (good guy, good interview) and he said something that made me cringe. I don't think he intended it to come off like it did but he said something along the lines of (paraphrasing)...

"We treat every game the same. Like it's a championship opportunity. We are going to approach the 9ers and Rams games just like we did the Vikings."

I said out loud..."Well Sh*t I hope NOT!!!!"

LOL!!

RiverDog

Reaction score
Aros":3g17vfye said:
Perhaps I was being a bit generous (calling our offense "supremely talented") but I do believe this offense has all the talent needed to be a top 5 offense in the NFL. They just aren't clicking yet, obviously. They show spurts of what they can be and how dangerous they can be but clearly they have yet to hit their stride. Their disappearing act in the second half of games is something to be concerned about for sure.

Yea, I was just giving you some crap. You're right, this offense does have a lot of potential, more so than the defense. We have a very good receiving corps, two very good, downhill type running backs, our tight end situation is solid, and the OL seems to have improved. But I do worry about Russell. That last series in OT against the Titans was horrible, and he was the root cause of it. And then he had the gall to defend his decision by saying that they were only 3-4" off.

Aros":3g17vfye said:
I'm far from hitting the panic button. It's week 3. But if we lose our next two against divisional rivals, hell yes it's time to hit the button.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "far from". If we are 1-4 after our game with the Rams and if all our divisional foes continue to win, then yes, I'm hitting the panic button. Under those circumstances, in a division where our three opponents have a combined record of 14-1, the odds of us even getting to .500 would be extremely long.

Fade

Reaction score
AubHawk71":xwskejco said:
Fade":xwskejco said:

You clearly don't read my other posts. I am firmly in the "this is on Pete'" camp.

Norton is a puppet.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":dnqqkfwq said:
pittpnthrs":dnqqkfwq said:
Hockey Guy":dnqqkfwq said:
pittpnthrs":dnqqkfwq said:
Coaching staff

Even the moderates on the board, which include Soul & myself, are firmly in the "the coaching sucks & is a f***ing embarrassment" camp.

It's pretty disingenuous to try to insinuate that he was solely talking about the players & not the coaches in his post. You're just looking to get someone to s*** your d*** & say how smart you are & that you were right all along.

I'm not combining the two.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=175040

Look at that poll. Coaching is the biggest problem from the head down. Not the players.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":20iu6dgm said:
Hockey Guy":20iu6dgm said:
pittpnthrs":20iu6dgm said:
Hockey Guy":20iu6dgm said:

I'm not combining the two.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=175040

Look at that poll. Coaching is the biggest problem from the head down. Not the players.

What in the flying f*** are you even babbling about? Everybody, except 1, voted scheme including me.

If SoulfishHawk is the guy who voted it's the players fault, I will apologize.

hawks85

Reaction score
Aros":12mnf3lh said:
RiverDog":12mnf3lh said:
Supremely talented offense? Supremely talented offenses don't get shut down in the 2nd halves of football games.

In our first 3 games, we have yet to score a single point in the 3rd quarter. Had it not been for that epic defensive break down the Titans suffered in the 4th quarter of last week, our 2nd half production in those 3 games would have been just the 7 points we scored in the 4th quarter on the now 0-3 Colts. And that doesn't even speak to our offense's miserable overtime performance last week.

Characterizing our offense as "supremely talented" seems to me to be overly generous.

Perhaps I was being a bit generous but I do believe this offense has all the talent needed to be a top 5 offense in the NFL. They just aren't clicking yet, obviously. They show spurts of what they can be and how dangerous they can be but clearly they have yet to hit their stride. Their disappearing act in the second half of games is something to be concerned about for sure.

I'm far from hitting the panic button. It's week 3. But if we lose our next two against divisional rivals, hell yes it's time to hit the button.

And win soundly. I'm not talking about blowing teams out, I mean a good sound football game. Even if we lose and Seattle played a good football game I can live with that. If they win and they play like they have, I'm not cool with that.

chris98251

Reaction score
If you plan on being an offensive team you need to use the whole field, and go for broke every series like it's the last possession.

It doesn't win Championships but is entertaining football, Denver, San Diego, Buffalo Bills under Levy all had great offenses, throw in the Oilers with moon also. You need a good offense and a defense that can stop a offense more then 50 percent of the time to have a chance, Throw in the Dolphins as well with Marino, always great stats in the passing game but again not a great defense and running game suspect most the time.