Votes: 77 43.5%
  • No

Votes: 100 56.5%

• Total voters

Zorn76

Reaction score
Rob12":rtw1mwwy said:
Zorn76":rtw1mwwy said:
And why hasn't Bevell been offered so much as an interview for a head coaching position in the NFL?

Love to hear anybody's theory here on that, lol.

His statistical prowse should lend itself to it, yes?

Or maybe there's something Beyond stats that others around the league don't like about him.

Either way, he is routinely passed over, and that's a fact as well.

Maybe Pete constantly tells him no, that's he's not ready. He shot BYU down pretty quick, no?

Maybe Bevell is rooted in the Seattle area and doesn't want to stop doing what he's doing?

Who knows? But you have a top 3 DVOA offense over the past four years - and you have a QB that seemingly loves Bevell. Does the media not reporting on him getting HC offers really deter you that much considering what we've been over the past four seasons?

That's just it, though - the media Does report when offers are made by teams to interview prospects. He doesn't get any. And, yes, that to me is strange. To each their own.

I've already explained my reasons for not endorsing him to continue as our OC several posts above.
Stats alone do not tell the whole story.

Look at our defense as an example of stats as well - great at times, but not nearly as shutdown, despite having Very similar numbers as those that saw us reach the the SB during 2013 and 2014. To put numbers in a vacuum and present them doesn't tell the entire story, as we saw on each side of the ball this year.

Zorn76

Reaction score
Rob12":22wgfyok said:
Zorn76":22wgfyok said:
And why hasn't Bevell been offered so much as an interview for a head coaching position in the NFL?

Or maybe there's something Beyond stats that others around the league don't like about him.

I know I'm playing the maybe game a lot here, but what if Bevell is Pete's successor once his contract runs out? My point is not enough information is available to answer your question.

Oh, man, lol.
Just curious...would you like that hire if it happened?

You already know what my answer would be.
I would equate that to being nearly as bad as the Mora Jr. hire in '09.

As it stands, clearly, the NFL isn't interested in Darrell as a HC. We'll see if it changes, but it has to surprise any number of people that he hasn't received much interest.

It's a tough gig for anybody. Very few are really good at it, and we're beyond lucky to have Pete as ours.

I'm not trying to bust anybody's balls here, honestly. We just see things differently, that's all.

If my opinion falls into the minority, so be it. I don't have a replacement name for Bevell (naturally, lol), but I do trust that one could be found who could equal what we have now. Darrell's tenure has obviously produced good results overall. But I also believe his lapse in judgement, via poor calls at crucial moments in games (4th qt in particular) undermine (and often) outweigh what's good about him.

Rob12

Reaction score
Zorn76":39ob91kj said:
Rob12":39ob91kj said:
Zorn76":39ob91kj said:

I know I'm playing the maybe game a lot here, but what if Bevell is Pete's successor once his contract runs out? My point is not enough information is available to answer your question.

Oh, man, lol.
Just curious...would you like that hire if it happened?

You already know what my answer would be.
I would equate that to being nearly as bad as the Mora Jr. hire in '09.

As it stands, clearly, the NFL isn't interested in Darrell as a HC. We'll see if it changes, but it has to surprise any number of people that he hasn't received much interest.

It's a tough gig for anybody. Very few are really good at it, and we're beyond lucky to have Pete as ours.

I'm not trying to bust anybody's balls here, honestly. We just see things differently, that's all.

If my opinion falls into the minority, so be it. I don't have a replacement name for Bevell (naturally, lol), but I do trust that one could be found who could equal what we have now. Darrell's tenure has obviously produced good results overall. But I also believe his lapse in judgement, via poor calls at crucial moments in games (4th qt in particular) undermine (and often) outweigh what's good about him.

Don't know, honestly. It's hard to see the Seahawks not being coached by PC at this point. If I had to put a number on it, I'd say I'm 50/50 with Bevell becoming Pete's successor.

I think it's valid that you question his lack of HC offers. Absolutely valid.

I just want to know how much Bevell is handcuffed. If RW loves him, who are we to argue? I guess that's my strongest point. The most important member of this organization seems to really like Bevell as his offensive coordinator. I really think he's handcuffed quite a bit. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

kearly

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3j5o7zq2 said:
I don't care what stats say about our offense. My eyes say that against good defenses we struggled mightily.

Seattle did well against good defenses, but not so well in poor game conditions.

Zorn76

Reaction score
Rob - Among the more interesting (and good) things about RW is...the guy is just flat out nice. He Always seeks to be complimentary about any particular person or situation. And it probably does reflect how he he actually feels more often than not.

In terms of that Bevell being "handcuffed" , I dunno. I mean, I doubt very much Darrell would allow the relationships he's formed in Seattle as a reason for not pursuing other jobs, especially if he had the opportunity to be a head coach somewhere else in the league. But in terms of him keeping his OC job (which realistically is likely the case), having RW as your advocate certainly does help, lol.

We'll see how it goes. My hope is that Darrell is able to be more "clutch" in his future play calls as long as he's here. I think that's among the intangibles that isn't necessarily reflected in stats and or rankings.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Zorn76":32qh72sb said:
Rob - Among the more interesting (and good) things about RW is...the guy is just flat out nice. He Always seeks to be complimentary about any particular person or situation. And it probably does reflect how he he actually feels more often than not.

In terms of that Bevell being "handcuffed" , I dunno. I mean, I doubt very much Darrell would allow the relationships he's formed in Seattle as a reason for not pursuing other jobs, especially if he had the opportunity to be a head coach somewhere else in the league. But in terms of him keeping his OC job (which realistically is likely the case), having RW as your advocate certainly does help, lol.

We'll see how it goes. My hope is that Darrell is able to be more "clutch" in his future play calls as long as he's here. I think that's among the intangibles that isn't necessarily reflected in stats and or rankings.

Russell Wilson is nice, but Doug Baldwin is not and he has backed Bevell on several occasions this past year.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
kearly":2jfp97pa said:
Tech Worlds":2jfp97pa said:
I don't care what stats say about our offense. My eyes say that against good defenses we struggled mightily.

Seattle did well against good defenses, but not so well in poor game conditions.
Not when it mattered. We could easily have salted away the cincy game and the Panthers game with first downs in the forth qtr. We looked horrible. Our offensive line was a sieve against good defenses. Stats be damned we were not dictating squat. The eye test doesn't lie.

seabowl

Reaction score
I've never heard OC's called out on national tv for bad play calling by the announcers as much as Bevell has. They don't say his name but rather things like, that's a strange call or I'm surprised the Hawks are or are not doing this on offense. Everyone talks about the O line and it's not his fault but he eventually (halfway through the season) figured out that quick short passes kill a pass rush and keep you QB healthy/matriculate the ball down the field.

I know the poll is around 50/50 but I've seen enough.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
I would say no way would I fire him. We have gone to the playoffs four years in a row, two super bowl games and one win. I know it is frustrating at times with some of the plays but can't complain about success.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Let's correct a few things.

Bevell does get interviews for HC jobs, Pete never stopped those. The BYU thing was him stopping a mid season thing, and be honest, who knows what the extent of the interest form both sides really was.

But interviews did dry up in 2015. The SB hangover wasn't just for players. Like it or not, Darrell Bevell brings some of this on himself. Publicly saying that was the right play call and he would do it again was arrogant. That play got mentioned on national broadcasts all the time even if the hawks were 3000 miles form the game being televised, every mention was a shovel full of dirt on Bevell's HC career. Interview Darrell in 2015 and every media announcement would be accompanied by a mention of the play. That doesn't put asses in seats for bad teams wanting to improve and sell tickets.

In fact, I think Darrell will have to have his rep rebuilt not just by winning, but by winning with spectacular offense. The Seattle O was much better in the latter half of the season, but the idea that it is a defensive team that has to have a good defensive game to win has hardly been erased by our offense having 5 of it's 8 postseason quarters be scoreless junkball.

If you were a team owner, would you hire Darrell Bevell after the showing by the offense this post season?

gulliver

Reaction score
Bevell defenders pointing to scoring forget two key facts:

(1) The Seahawks have been #1 in scoring defense for 4 years straight, and have been an elite 'takeaways' team during that period, meaning they are getting the ball back and giving their offense extra opportunities to score - more so than most NFL teams. Anybody think it's a coincidence that scoring is high when your D is getting you the ball back 2x a game?

(2) Our offense since 2012 has largely consisted of a play being called, and Russell scrambling around for a bomb in space or lunging for a first down. If you're crediting Bevell for that, you're wrong.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Why does this poll exist?

It's embarrassing.

Seattle's QB just threw for franchise record numbers, posted a 4000-yard passing season, they continue to run the ball at an elite level, they have the #2 offense per DVOA and in the second half of the season when the O-line actually knew how to block they averaged over 30-points a game.

The majority of the league would kill for this offensive production. Why the hell would you fire the offensive coordinator?

It is without doubt one of the single most dumbest things in Seattle sports that this tired debate gets wheeled out every time the team loses a game (which isn't very often, in part because the offense is good).

There is no such thing as the perfect play caller. And look at the bloody alternatives people come up with. Norm frickin Chow. Unbelievable.

There's a reason Pete Carroll sticks by Darrell Bevell and it isn't because you know better.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
gulliver":2ozt4hf4 said:

(1) The Seahawks have been #1 in scoring defense for 4 years straight, and have been an elite 'takeaways' team during that period, meaning they are getting the ball back and giving their offense extra opportunities to score - more so than most NFL teams. Anybody think it's a coincidence that scoring is high when your D is getting you the ball back 2x a game?

(2) Our offense since 2012 has largely consisted of a play being called, and Russell scrambling around for a bomb in space or lunging for a first down. If you're crediting Bevell for that, you're wrong.

Point 2 is true until the last part of this season where we went to a more spread out offense and had to move away from the power running game since both Lynch and Rawls were out. In this type of system Wilson just killed teams from the pocket and didnt have to worry about being sacked and running for his life so much. With the Oline we have we cant really go back to stacking up and trying to run it down other teams throat if their interior D is good...we will just get pushed back and have to rely on the RB to break tackles leading to 2nd/3rd and longs which are predictable and makes it easier for the D to stop.

I am leaning towards the pro bevel camp but am still mostly in the neutral area. I think Pete has say in the type of offense and plays we run and that limits bevel.

As a huge vikings fan as well he was the OC from 2006-2010 or so. In that span he had Brad Johnson, Tarvaris Jackson, Gus Frerotte, and a 40+ year old favre as his QBs. In each year the running game was really good with very suspect QB play....Even his first year without Peterson, Chester Taylor still ran for 1200 yards and had almost 300 receiving yards.

The best WR in that whole period was probably Sidney Rice and he was rarely healthy. Their leading WR by yardage and year is as follows. Travis Taylor, Bobby Wade, Bernard Berrian, Sidney Rice(Harvin #2), Harvin in 2010 which was his last year.

When he had a decent QB (Favre on his last good year), and decent WRs in Rice and Harvin the offense was close to tops in the league with a good rushing attack in 2009. AP had 1383 yards 18 TD and Favre had 4200 yards 33TD/7INT which seems pretty good.

He obviously calls some very questionable formations and plays at weird times but there are some really good concepts and formations that I have come to realize by watching Brocks Chalk talk and that sometimes the offensive execution is bad, whether it be the OL letting them break free too early, Russ not reading it correctly, or Russ making a bad throw. Sometimes it is just the defense had the right call or executed their scheme perfectly against it and just made a play.

I honestly think the lack of a huge possesion type WR like Rice has really hindered our offense. Kearse, Baldwin and Lockett are all great but we are missing that huge WR. I think Graham was brought in to be that and it took a while to get incorporated but unfor he got injured before our offense could be fully realized.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
gulliver":2xibbmju said:

No one is forgetting anything. Your points make little sense. Seahawks were 20th in takeaways this past year and 15th the year before - so to say they were elite for 4 years is not true. Aside from the fact you didn't check facts - the correlation purport isn't even correct.

The years they were in the top 5 for turnovers, 2012 and 2013 - the number of plays the ran per game ranked 29th in the league both years. So turnovers doesn't automatically mean more opportunities when you run a clock killing offense.

Furthermore, we have been in the top ten in yards per play and points per game during this entire span. So on a per play basis are offense is very efficient. And despite the fact that we don't run that many plays - we have been top ten for points in the last 4 years.

Not to mention DVOA is a per play efficiency measure so more opportunities don't change DVOA if you are average with them.

Even if Russell scrambled every play, which he doesn't, ensuring a coherent scramble drill and proper reads are the responsibility of the coordinators. WRs must execute the scramble drill and be on the same page as the QB and this IS the responsibility of the offensive coordinator and is practiced by the team - unbeknownst to us fans. In addition, ensuring proper pre-snap reads so that Russ knows when it will be man coverage and will have a good option to scramble for a first down is also part of an offensive gameplan. So not giving the offensive coordinator credit is entirely unfair. Thinking that Russell does Russell things in a silo is simply not accurate.

Largent80

Reaction score
A better question would be, if he were to go....all those that want him gone list viable replacements.

McGruff

Reaction score
Zorn76":1t1cn8vu said:

Um, Darrell has had requests and interviews in the past. He didn't this year. Why? In Part because we didn't have a bye and therefor he was not allowed to interview. By the time Darrell was available to interview, all the vacancies were filled.

But Darrell has had interviews in each of the last three years.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
I am not qualified to decide if DB should be fired. I'd guess that 98% of the posters here are also not qualified.

On the other hand I like having been in 2 Super Bowls recently.

I'll trust Pete and John on this one.

edogg23

Reaction score
Whoever called a running play when the Seahawks needed to go 70 yards in a minute with no timeouts at the end of the second quarter needs to be fired. There is no excuse for that. It was beyond idiotic and ate up over 20 seconds. If we would have gotten at least a field goal there, the whole game would have been different at the end.