• Yes

Votes: 77 43.5%
  • No

Votes: 100 56.5%

• Total voters

kearly

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":4snsallb said:
Not when it mattered. We could easily have salted away the cincy game and the Panthers game with first downs in the forth qtr. We looked horrible. Our offensive line was a sieve against good defenses. Stats be damned we were not dictating squat. The eye test doesn't lie.

Our offensive line did look bad in power football situations, I agree 100%.

But with regards to the Cincy and Carolina meltdowns, I think momentum had as much to do with that as anything. Seattle was getting into 3rd and short situations, but couldn't complete a pass to save their lives on third down to salt the game away. Classic choke job.

Which strikes me as an anomoly. Russell has been mostly great in his career at putting teams away. And most of the struggles putting teams away this season happened before the switch to a spread offense.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
#4 Offense.
#2 DVOA Offense.
#2 DVOA Pass Offense.
#1 Weighted DVOA Offense.

OL Ranking: 30th Overall (PFF); 30th Pass Protection (Football Outsiders).

No commentary. The numbers speak for themselves.

Laloosh

Reaction score
DavidSeven":20u32btb said:
#4 Offense.
#2 DVOA Offense.
#2 DVOA Pass Offense.

From a game to game basis, do you think that the game plans were good?

McGruff

Reaction score
Laloosh":2veux0cr said:
DavidSeven":2veux0cr said:
#4 Offense.
#2 DVOA Offense.
#2 DVOA Pass Offense.

Sometimes, no, often yes, and often the gameplans were abandoned or altered because of poor execution early.

Its almost impossible for fans to discern when a game plan is good or not. there are too many other variables. Execution and game flow being the biggest.

Laloosh

Reaction score
McGruff":105fnk17 said:
Laloosh":105fnk17 said:
DavidSeven":105fnk17 said:
#4 Offense.
#2 DVOA Offense.
#2 DVOA Pass Offense.

Sometimes, no, often yes, and often the gameplans were abandoned or altered because of poor execution early.

Its almost impossible for fans to discern when a game plan is good or not. there are too many other variables. Execution and game flow being the biggest.

Fair. Mind providing a couple of examples of good/bad? It's purely curiosity on my part. I watch all of the games more than once but it's like a toddler watching chess.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Laloosh":36834s3p said:
DavidSeven":36834s3p said:
#4 Offense.
#2 DVOA Offense.
#2 DVOA Pass Offense.

I'm not sure that I or anyone else could adequately answer that question. I think so much of what every offense does throughout a game is set-up and reaction. Sometimes you burn a bubble screen to free up the inside zone later. I just can't get as worked up over individual calls as I know others do.

How did the offense perform as a whole? Well, I think we made chicken salad out of chicken sh... and went on the best offensive run in franchise history.

So, yeah, I'd reason that good week-to-week game plans factored into that.

Mojambo

Reaction score
I think he's a good OC and Pete Carroll should stop philosophically cockblocking him from tearing up opposing defenses.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1gyumgmt said:
Let's correct a few things.

Bevell does get interviews for HC jobs, Pete never stopped those. The BYU thing was him stopping a mid season thing, and be honest, who knows what the extent of the interest form both sides really was.

But interviews did dry up in 2015. The SB hangover wasn't just for players. Like it or not, Darrell Bevell brings some of this on himself. Publicly saying that was the right play call and he would do it again was arrogant. That play got mentioned on national broadcasts all the time even if the hawks were 3000 miles form the game being televised, every mention was a shovel full of dirt on Bevell's HC career. Interview Darrell in 2015 and every media announcement would be accompanied by a mention of the play. That doesn't put asses in seats for bad teams wanting to improve and sell tickets.

In fact, I think Darrell will have to have his rep rebuilt not just by winning, but by winning with spectacular offense. The Seattle O was much better in the latter half of the season, but the idea that it is a defensive team that has to have a good defensive game to win has hardly been erased by our offense having 5 of it's 8 postseason quarters be scoreless junkball.

If you were a team owner, would you hire Darrell Bevell after the showing by the offense this post season?
As usual, hammer has met nail on head with Scott's post.

No, IMO Bevell doesn't need replaced though because I strongly believe he has to design game plans to what Pete wants. He does call some head scratching plays though and that needs to improve.

Zorn76

Reaction score
McGruff":8fa32zbb said:
Zorn76":8fa32zbb said:
And why hasn't Bevell been offered so much as an interview for a head coaching position in the NFL?

Love to hear anybody's theory here on that, lol.

His statistical prowse should lend itself to it, yes?

Or maybe there's something Beyond stats that others around the league don't like about him.

Either way, he is routinely passed over, and that's a fact as well.

Um, Darrell has had requests and interviews in the past. He didn't this year. Why? In Part because we didn't have a bye and therefor he was not allowed to interview. By the time Darrell was available to interview, all the vacancies were filled.

But Darrell has had interviews in each of the last three years.

Doug Pederson landed the job in Philly, all while being with the Chiefs during their playoff run. They didn't have a bye, either, so we know it isn't for that reason.

7 head coaching vacancies this year. Seven. And not so much as a whiff of an interview for him, despite All that he's done in Seattle. Just amazing, isn't it? What incredible luck that apparently he'll Never leave.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Maybe if Petersen had been focused on coaching rather than interviewing, he could have engineered a hurry-up drive against the Patriots and he could STILL be coaching.

McGruff

Reaction score
Zorn76":zupyq0sp said:
McGruff":zupyq0sp said:
Zorn76":zupyq0sp said:
And why hasn't Bevell been offered so much as an interview for a head coaching position in the NFL?

Or maybe there's something Beyond stats that others around the league don't like about him.

Um, Darrell has had requests and interviews in the past. He didn't this year. Why? In Part because we didn't have a bye and therefor he was not allowed to interview. By the time Darrell was available to interview, all the vacancies were filled.

Doug Pederson landed the job in Philly, all while being with the Chiefs during their playoff run. They didn't have a bye, either, so we know it isn't for that reason.

7 head coaching vacancies this year. Seven. And not so much as a whiff of an interview for him, despite All that he's done in Seattle. Just amazing, isn't it? What incredible luck that apparently he'll Never leave.

And the NFL is quietly investigating the Pederson hire as a rules violation. Plus, Pederson already had history in Philly so they knew what they were getting.

I'm not saying there is no good reason. The SB and its aftermath surely leaves a mark. But it doesn't erase the fact that lots of teams have looked into and actively pursued Darrell for HC gigs over the last 3 years. They'd be stupid not to. And I can almost guarantee that he will get looks again iin the near future.

Zorn76

Reaction score
Mojambo":3hu7q4ji said:
Maybe if Petersen had been focused on coaching rather than interviewing, he could have engineered a *mod edit* hurry-up drive against the Patriots and he could STILL be coaching.
Yet another puzzler as to why Doug got the job over Darrell.
Go figure.

Zorn76

Reaction score
McGruff":18w2rvaz said:
Zorn76":18w2rvaz said:
McGruff":18w2rvaz said:
Zorn76":18w2rvaz said:

And the NFL is quietly investigating the Pederson hire as a rules violation. Plus, Pederson already had history in Philly so they knew what they were getting.

I'm not saying there is no good reason. The SB and its aftermath surely leaves a mark. But it doesn't erase the fact that lots of teams have looked into and actively pursued Darrell for HC gigs over the last 3 years. They'd be stupid not to. And I can almost guarantee that he will get looks again iin the near future.

Lots of teams?
There was Oakland, Jacksonville, and....that's about it for the NFL level, which is what I'm speaking to. And I hope your guarantee turns out to be true, naturally.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Zorn76":woxhv06a said:
Lots of teams?
There was Oakland, Jacksonville, and....that's about it for the NFL level, which is what I'm speaking to.

This is incorrect.

[Darrell Bevell previously] interviewed with the Chicago Bears, Arizona Cardinals and Jacksonville Jaguars. Prior to Seattle's run to last year's Super Bowl, Bevell was considered for jobs with Washington and Minnesota. This year, he's juggled Super Bowl prep along with interviews with the Buffalo Bills and Oakland Raiders.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /22550721/

fan4life

Reaction score
I do not believe Bevell is the entirety of the problem. While he has been known to be a bit lazy, I, too, believe he is handcuffed by the head coach's desire to play conservative on offense and win with defense.

Zorn76

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3g3sc52q said:
Zorn76":3g3sc52q said:
Lots of teams?
There was Oakland, Jacksonville, and....that's about it for the NFL level, which is what I'm speaking to.

This is incorrect.

[Darrell Bevell previously] interviewed with the Chicago Bears, Arizona Cardinals and Jacksonville Jaguars. Prior to Seattle's run to last year's Super Bowl, Bevell was considered for jobs with Washington and Minnesota. This year, he's juggled Super Bowl prep along with interviews with the Buffalo Bills and Oakland Raiders.

Very good.

So that's 7 times he's been passed over now.

Maybe the next one will stick.

McGruff

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1eb2072i said:
Zorn76":1eb2072i said:
Lots of teams?

This is incorrect.

:)

McGruff

Reaction score
Zorn76":bes83ow5 said:
Mojambo":bes83ow5 said:
Maybe if Petersen had been focused on coaching rather than interviewing, he could have engineered a *mod edit* hurry-up drive against the Patriots and he could STILL be coaching.
Yet another puzzler as to why Doug got the job over Darrell.
Go figure.

Doug has previously worked for the Eagles. They already know him.

Also, he has considerably less experience than Darrell, which seems to be a priority for the Eagles. They want someone they can mold in their own image after the Chip Kelly fiasco.

Sometimes there are reason team don't hire candidates that go beyond "because he sucks."

BTW I love the moving goal posts . . .

First . . . no one wants him

Then . . . not many wanted him

Then . . . well of the many who wanted him none of them hired him

Also, one of the possible reasons no one hired him is because you can't hire another's team's coordinator until after they are doen with the playoffs, and Darrell's team has been deep into the playoffs in 2012, 2013 and 2013. Team's are famously impatient to fill those roles.