Odell Beckham...best catch ever?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":a9ag4a0k said:
Like Tony Dungy said during halftime, it's not even the best catch in Giants history.

If Tony Dungy says it, it must be true

BASF

Reaction score
stickumlrg.jpg

If I was Jason Garrett I would have wanted his gloves checked.

NINEster

Reaction score
Amazing catch, definitely.

A lot of people seem to have forgotten, but Brandon Lloyd has had a few ridiculous catches in his career. One I'll never forget is in 2005 at Candlestick vs. the Giants, he catches the ball near the end zone in very similar fashion to what ODB did , but without the falling part.

Play was called back for some kind of penalty, but was about the only highlight in a crushing loss, on a forgettable team/year.

I'd have to guess that Larry Fitzgerald in the 2008 playoffs had catches that were as impressive or more impressive. Warner would just fling it up deep and he'd come down with it almost every time.

Awesome stuff, the kid has a bright future. But I agree with Roland......we're a bit too easy with hyperbole sometimes.

Attachments

• Brandon Lloyd Catch.jpg
    Brandon Lloyd Catch.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 3,346

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
NINEster":dux4ol7z said:
Awesome stuff, the kid has a bright future. But I agree with Roland......we're a bit too easy with hyperbole sometimes.
People are underestimating just how much of an impact having a DB directly in front of you trying to break up the pass affects your ability to catch the ball. This DB was on the ground a yard or more away when the ball actually arrived for Beckham's catch.

Again, it was a great catch. Very impressive. Not close to all-time great status, though.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Best catch I've ever seen. Roland's being Roland. No surprise.

I wish the Seahawks could land a WR like ODB. Kid is special.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
It was an amazing catch, but after seeing the sports networks play it 20 times an hour since the game ended it has lost its luster a bit.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Most impressive catch I've ever seen. The body control, the dexterity and the forearm strength were nothing short of amazing.

If that's not the most impressive catch you guys have seen, please provide examples of better. Gracias.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":28lxfsen said:
Most impressive catch I've ever seen. The body control, the dexterity and the forearm strength were nothing short of amazing.

If that's not the most impressive catch you guys have seen, please provide examples of better. Gracias.
As has been stated, it's not even the best catch in Giants history.

People be trippin'...This is just like when ESPN went hog wild all over the Fail Mary incident, turning into something far larger than it actually was.

Reaction score
Ooooo, yeah i'm not seeing it. A very, very good catch indeed - but it's not the best i've ever seen.

I think it's all subjective which is part of the fun of it all, but for me the greatest catches are the ones where I am amazed how they've managed to stay in bounds and/or win a contested ball. I'm not taking anything away from Beckhams catch but in my preference i've seen others where i've gone "wow" more.

Now to be a complete homer i'll give 2 Seahawks examples (as they are the easiest for me to remember the specifics).

1) Doug Baldwin @ Carolina 2013. 3rd down - sideline catch from a WIlson pass that looked like it was just thrown away. DB all over him, catches it what seems like 2ft out of bounds but drags his toes and maintains possession. That's a catch I was certain was impossible to make before seeing the replay.

2) Golden Tata @ Atlanta 2013. TD reception in the corner of the endzone. Over shoulder catch with left hand (though I think Tate is left handed). Can remember him catching it at like the base of the football (or so it seemed). Then dragged his feet in to get in bounds whilst holding off DB with right arm. That was just impossible to defend.

Off the top of my head I know Martellus Bennett caught a TD this year damn near lying down in the endzone. Some how just managed to react quick enough and stretch to catch despite being mugged. That was awesome too.

I know this catch was amazing, but it didn't have quite the extra effort of getting in bounds for me to be blown away. Some may argue you don't need it when the catch was as good as it was. But I have seen those type of catches before (didn't Stevie Johnson when playing for the Bills do something similar against us and Sherman in 2012?) and, while awesome, aren't what i'd personally consider THE BEST.

Lithium

Reaction score
Great catch, no doubt but the only reason its being talked about is because he plays in New York on Prime Time and not Jacksonville at 1pm.

Seriously, I've seen dozens of better catches. It was still a great catch though.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Meaningless game that they lost. Not the best ever. Great catch though.

rideaducati

Reaction score
WorcesterHawks":2un4kbya said:
Ooooo, yeah i'm not seeing it. A very, very good catch indeed - but it's not the best i've ever seen.

I think it's all subjective which is part of the fun of it all, but for me the greatest catches are the ones where I am amazed how they've managed to stay in bounds and/or win a contested ball. I'm not taking anything away from Beckhams catch but in my preference i've seen others where i've gone "wow" more.

Now to be a complete homer i'll give 2 Seahawks examples (as they are the easiest for me to remember the specifics).

1) Doug Baldwin @ Carolina 2013. 3rd down - sideline catch from a WIlson pass that looked like it was just thrown away. DB all over him, catches it what seems like 2ft out of bounds but drags his toes and maintains possession. That's a catch I was certain was impossible to make before seeing the replay.

2) Golden Tata @ Atlanta 2013. TD reception in the corner of the endzone. Over shoulder catch with left hand (though I think Tate is left handed). Can remember him catching it at like the base of the football (or so it seemed). Then dragged his feet in to get in bounds whilst holding off DB with right arm. That was just impossible to defend.

Off the top of my head I know Martellus Bennett caught a TD this year damn near lying down in the endzone. Some how just managed to react quick enough and stretch to catch despite being mugged. That was awesome too.

I know this catch was amazing, but it didn't have quite the extra effort of getting in bounds for me to be blown away. Some may argue you don't need it when the catch was as good as it was. But I have seen those type of catches before (didn't Stevie Johnson when playing for the Bills do something similar against us and Sherman in 2012?) and, while awesome, aren't what i'd personally consider THE BEST.

Game against Miami, either Golden or Doug caught a pass at the goal line where he dove under and behind the defender. That was a great catch too.

I recall Chris Carter catching a pass one handed and getting BLOWN UP against Tampa. I still think that is the best catch I have seen.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Great catch but you would swear the VaGiants won the game....Oh....wait.

mikeak

Reaction score
WorcesterHawks":11lwmxxw said:

You missed one

Golden Tate going up in traffic, amazingly clear some space, clearly gain possession of the football and win the game against GB

Ozzy

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3gs0puls said:
JGfromtheNW":3gs0puls said:

As has been stated, it's not even the best catch in Giants history.

People be trippin'...This is just like when ESPN went hog wild all over the Fail Mary incident, turning into something far larger than it actually was.

The Tyrie catch isn't even close, more luck than skill. I'll take the OBJ catch all day over that one.

ringless

Reaction score
mikeak":3iolvcv5 said:
WorcesterHawks":3iolvcv5 said:

You missed one

Golden Tate going up in traffic, amazingly clear some space, clearly gain possession of the football and win the game against GB

Lol, this should be posted on the packers forum. Too good

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hey look, yet another catch better than Beckham's; and it was on a 3rd & 10 in a playoff game in below-zero temperature, to boot! It's not even debatable that this is a considerably better catch than OBJ's.

[youtube]g7Kpj3XpmFQ[/youtube]