Odell Beckham...best catch ever?

rideaducati

Reaction score
Vetamur":2pzz65a6 said:
Im starting to think none of these catches are nearly as amazing as they look. Too many players are doing it.. the newest gloves have more to do with it than anything Im guessing.

Yes, these new gloves make it quite easy to catch and hold on to a ball. Kearse needs to find a better pair.

Osprey

Reaction score
Vetamur":126idq4d said:
Im starting to think none of these catches are nearly as amazing as they look. Too many players are doing it.. the newest gloves have more to do with it than anything Im guessing.

I was wondering that myself. No equipment can assist in getting your hands / body in the right spot (Kearse's issue), but I've seen a ton of balls hit the open hand and seemingly slow down giving the receiver time to close their grip.

Sure we're talking fractions of a second difference, but when you're dealing with this level of athleticism it appears to be making a difference.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3ndnud8l said:
Hasselbeck":3ndnud8l said:
ODB had a guy blanketed on him and caught it falling backwards into the end zone, Doug had a pretty clean look at it.
Sooooooo, the defender falling down and being a full yard away from ODB when the ball came in is being blanketed? Can you find a dictionary to back your definition of that word? I'd love to see it.

Hawk-Lock":3ndnud8l said:
Sorry, but you are a homer. Doug's catch was awesome, but not better than Beckham. First off, Beckham had a guy blanketed all over him. Beckham actually drew defensive PI on that play, that's how much contact there was. Doug while covered, didn't have a guy all over him. Second of all, Baldwin caught a 10 yard pass, Beckham caught a 50 yard bomb. Big difference there. Much more velocity on the ball Beckham caught. And lastly, Baldwin caught the ball with one hand and then brought it into his second hand. Beckham went one-handed the entire time.
Hey, another person I have to teach English to. Did you mean to say "wet Swiss cheese blanket?"

Also, do you have ANY idea how much more time you have to gauge the incoming ball on a pass that deep, and how much slower it's coming than the pass Doug caught? Obviously not.

I love how people think that the defender being a yard away from OBJ is "blanket coverage"; nothing like adjusting reality to fit one's perceptions. Falling back with a deep bomb coming in at an angle similar to your fall is worlds apart from Doug's catch. Any person here, if reenacting both of them, would catch the pass coming at OBJ way more often than the one coming at Doug. Add in half-numb fingers to a much faster ball and the ball being a comparative frigid ice break and it's not even close, but in the opposite of how you're thinking.

I love how you have no accurate recollection of ODB's catch at all.

[youtube]zxbz3DDQzHU[/youtube]

Baldwin's grab was great but not ODB's level.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3rau1h5l said:
I love how you have no accurate recollection of ODB's catch at all.
No accurate recollection? The automatically generated pic in that non-working video on your YouTube embed is about the most beneficial angle in existence to make it seem like the defender was closer to ODB than he really was.

Well, allow me to retort:

J3Kxd4b

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1vuk3u13 said:
Hasselbeck":1vuk3u13 said:
ODB had a guy blanketed on him and caught it falling backwards into the end zone, Doug had a pretty clean look at it.
Sooooooo, the defender falling down and being a full yard away from ODB when the ball came in is being blanketed? Can you find a dictionary to back your definition of that word? I'd love to see it.

The best part of this post is that the defender is a full yard away from ADB when the ball arrives :lol:

ADB's catch was great, one of the most important Hawks catches over the last few years. Still nowhere near as impressive as OBJ's, IMO.