Offensive Line Splits

nwHawk

Reaction score
I have been wondering if part of the problem with the offensive line, beyond talent, may be the line splits. Sometimes the gaps are at or less than a foot apart, which seems as if that could squeeze the line together too much. This constricts running lanes, and also makes it easier to collapse a pocket. Stretching gaps by even 4-6" may be a benefit moving forward.

I tend to think the lack of quality forced the guys to squeeze together. Hopefully center and left guard will be upgraded over the offseason. No quarterback will survive and thrive behind a swiss cheese line.

keasley45

Reaction score
nwHawk":22xvrvk0 said:
I have been wondering if part of the problem with the offensive line, beyond talent, may be the line splits. Sometimes the gaps are at or less than a foot apart, which seems as if that could squeeze the line together too much. This constricts running lanes, and also makes it easier to collapse a pocket. Stretching gaps by even 4-6" may be a benefit moving forward.

I tend to think the lack of quality forced the guys to squeeze together. Hopefully center and left guard will be upgraded over the offseason. No quarterback will survive and thrive behind a swiss cheese line.

Hadn't noticed that but if true it makes sense and is a great observation. Opposing defenses have been killing us up the middle which has impacted both our run and pass games. Would make sense for Solari to compensate and give our turnstile at left guard and a rather tall Pocic ( maybe poor leverage? I'm guessing).