OFFICIAL: CB Justin Coleman TRADED to Seahawks

hawk45

Reaction score
I'm reading serviceable, lots of penalties last year, jousted for CB3 early last season with Pats but fighting to make the roster as CB5 or 6 this year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2vs6pvam said:
Hope the Pats didn't just pull one on us...

For a late pick, not sure how we can get bamboozled only having to give up a late pick (I assume 6th or 7th rounder).

Coleman barely showed up on the stat sheet last year (10 games, 8 tackles), so IMO this is nothing more than replacing Elliott on the depth chart, and not some big sign that Lane is being traded. He's a starter, Coleman has bench player written all over him.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I wonder if they are in the warroom????

:stirthepot: :irishdrinkers: :rumble:

semiahmoo

Reaction score
hawk45":ar089adj said:
I'm reading serviceable, lots of penalties last year, jousted for CB3 early last season with Pats but fighting to make the roster as CB5 or 6 this year.

Now use him as a package deal for someone who will give us more immediate impact?

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Ahhhh ... interesting little detail ...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mlombardiNFL/status/903684757107597312[/tweet]

So, this was done BEFORE Elliott got hurt. I'm telling you guys, a bigger deal is coming down the pipe ...

Jville

Reaction score
massari":2pme94e4 said:
Jville":2pme94e4 said:
A nickle corner I presume. I'll say again ......
Jville":2pme94e4 said:
I'm not advocating moving on from any one player. But it is interesting that the dead money hit for releasing Jeremy Lane would be $5,250,000. That is a number that matches up with the savings to be realized with the Baldwin restructure.
It's the exact same cap hit to keep Lane as it is to release him.

True but there would be cap savings of $6 mil in 2018 and another $6 mil in 2019.

I'm just enjoying these 30 hours and speculating about roster and cap adjustments.

It's fun!

hawk45

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":37wlfpz6 said:
Ahhhh ... interesting little detail ...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mlombardiNFL/status/903684757107597312[/tweet]

So, this was done BEFORE Elliott got hurt. I'm telling you guys, a bigger deal is coming down the pipe ...

Huh. So part of a multi-part move?

Or perhaps we spot a guy who fits our system better?

The logic of adding another CB at 5 or 6 on the depth chart before Elliott went down doesn't leap out at me although it could be as simple as adding more competition.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Jville":ui4u9g3v said:
massari":ui4u9g3v said:
A nickle corner I presume. I'll say again ......
I'm not advocating moving on from any one player. But it is interesting that the dead money hit for releasing Jeremy Lane would be $5,250,000. That is a number that matches up with the savings to be realized with the Baldwin restructure.
It's the exact same cap hit to keep Lane as it is to release him.

True but there would be cap savings of $6 mil in 2018 and another $6 mil in 2019.

I'm just enjoying these 30 hours and speculating about roster and cap adjustments.

It's fun!

Agreed, it most certainly IS Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

With the rumors out there yesterday that the Seahawks were dangling Jeremy Lane as trade bait ... they ain't simply releasing him. No way. This more signals that they've got a buyer somewhere.

hawk45

Reaction score
The guy was penalized a fair amount in limited time last year so perhaps this is about shoring up the Tharold Simon role on the team [emoji12]

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":elq41k60 said:
semiahmoo":elq41k60 said:

For a late pick, not sure how we can get bamboozled only having to give up a late pick (I assume 6th or 7th rounder).

Coleman barely showed up on the stat sheet last year (10 games, 8 tackles), so IMO this is nothing more than replacing Elliott on the depth chart, and not some big sign that Lane is being traded. He's a starter, Coleman has bench player written all over him.

Except maybe they don't view Lane as a starter after last year even at nickel. I don't.

What kind of run did Lane get in pre season? I didn't pay attention.

hawk45

Reaction score
His Wikipedia page says he was in our practice squad in 2015 if anyone cares

ivotuk

Reaction score
hawk45":lnguibgt said:

You can say that again...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawk45":1qpg4lqa said:
Sgt. Largent":1qpg4lqa said:
semiahmoo":1qpg4lqa said:

Except maybe they don't view Lane as a starter after last year even at nickel. I don't.

Well right now the Hawk's have Lane listed as our starting outside CB, not nickel.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/depth-chart

He didn't even play a whole lot this pre-season, but IMO unless someone wows us with a trade offer he ain't going anywhere............and if we cut or trade Lane and the plan was for Coleman to step into the nickel? That's not good for me, Coleman was barely used by the Patriot's last year. So that doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy for him to be a starter here if Lane's gone.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3b42z00w said:
hawk45":3b42z00w said:
Sgt. Largent":3b42z00w said:
semiahmoo":3b42z00w said:

Well right now the Hawk's have Lane listed as our starting outside CB, not nickel.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/depth-chart

He didn't even play a whole lot this pre-season, but IMO unless someone wows us with a trade offer he ain't going anywhere............and if we cut or trade Lane and the plan was for Coleman to step into the nickel? That's not good for me, Coleman was barely used by the Patriot's last year. So that doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy for him to be a starter here if Lane's gone.

Oh no Coleman at nickel right away wouldn't thrill me either. But I'd be lying if I said I thought Lane brought more to nickel than Thorpe. So maybe just adding bodies to reach a comfort threshold of letting Lane walk I don't know.

I do agree to trade Lane or not is a decision that they really had to make (or not) largely independent of the Coleman move.

Jville

Reaction score
This reminds me of the trade for nickle back Marcus Burley a few years ago. They couldn't keep Marcus because of numbers at the final cut down and Cleveland claimed him.

The Justin Coleman acquisition readdresses that style of corner.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Bob Condotta's take (presumably based upon what he's hearing) ...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/903740178388344832[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/903740282465693696[/tweet]

Hmmm -- Interesting ...

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I suppose the corresponding move wil be to put Elliot on IR at cuts.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
It is very likely that this doesn't have anything to do with Lane. Probably traded away a conditional 7th round pick for a guy that would have likely been cut by the Patriots in the next 48 hours anyways.