OFFICIAL: CB Justin Coleman TRADED to Seahawks

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Official word from the Hawks -- looks like the 7th Rounder IS NOT Conditional after all ...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/seahawksPR/status/903740031055020032[/tweet]

joeseahawks

Reaction score
When we meet the Pats in the Super Bowl, he will have insider information on the cheaters .... That's his value.
In addition, our "tall" corners have had a hard time matching up with the shifty short receivers from the Pats ... maybe a smaller corner can help ... Remember how Simon struggled to contain the Pats receivers?
I think we are smelling the SB ... and are making sure we can match up well against all types of opponents.
This is forward thinking ...

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I was just reviewing Justin Coleman's draft profile from 2014 ...

Among CB's, he was the TOP performer in the Combine in the following ...

Bench Press Reps: 20
3 Cone Drill: 6.61 Seconds
20 Yard Shuttle: 3.98 Seconds
60 Yard Shuttle: 11.21 Seconds

Positives: QUICK. Very Aggressive and Physical in Press Man Coverage. Tough. Instinctive. Good recognition and ball skills. Good finisher in run support.

Weaknesses: Short and Undersized (5'11 185 lbs), shorter arms than Seattle typically likes (31 1/4"), tends to be a shade slow on transitions on throws in front of him. Tendency for route runners to turn him around.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/justin-coleman?id=2552260

All in all, for the price ... looks like he could be a fairly solid Nickel Corner.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
WmHBonney":3fcrteiv said:
NEVER trade with the Patriots.....

You know, it's interesting especially in light of Cyrus Jones's injury last night ... several Patriots fans were actually a bit surprised by this move. Many saw him as having had a fairly good training camp and Preseason and thought that he was making the ball club. In the end, I'd have to say the price was right ... and the intangibles are intriguing. A 7th Round choice for a guy who's likely going to be a back-up at Nickel ... and 5th or 6th overall on the depth chart? That's a win in my book.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Our "typical corners" are great for the outside. This guy seems like the perfect inside / nickel corner. We couldn't stop the Pats a couple of years ago in the SB, because they kept throwing that ball to their short and shifty receivers against our lanky and tall DBs. I'm not sure that Sherman vs Branden Cook is a good matchup. But I like this kid chances against Amendola or Cook or even Christian McCaffrey in the slot.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Nog":1ab2cqhb said:

WOW! Great Stats that Mark Chichester cites there on Coleman ...

Coleman's only played a total of 641 snaps with the Patriots during the time he's been there. BUT, what he's done in limited duty is quite impressive ...

In 2015 (from Week 12 - AFC Championship) ...
Coleman allowed just 0.62 yards/coverage snap (7th out of 123 CB's)
Coleman allowed a Passer Rating Against of 57.0 (12th out of 123 CB's) into his coverage area

In 2016 (in 221 snaps played) ...
Coleman allowed only 9 receptions on 23 targets
Coleman allowed just 0.71 yards/coverage snap (#1 among Patriots CB's)

This is a quality CB at a bargain basement price, people.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Jville":1wcwqnkw said:
This reminds me of the trade for nickle back Marcus Burley a few years ago. They couldn't keep Marcus because of numbers at the final cut down and Cleveland claimed him.
The Justin Coleman acquisition readdresses that style of corner.

joeseahawks":1wcwqnkw said:
When we meet the Pats in the Super Bowl, he will have insider information on the cheaters .... That's his value.
In addition, our "tall" corners have had a hard time matching up with the shifty short receivers from the Pats ... maybe a smaller corner can help ... Remember how Simon struggled to contain the Pats receivers?
I think we are smelling the SB ... and are making sure we can match up well against all types of opponents.
This is forward thinking ...

These two posts FOR THE WIN.

If we had Marcus Burley active on game day of SB 49 (instead of Tharald "Toast" Simon), I think we win. We had NO ANSWER for all those small quick NE receivers. They dinked and dunked us to DEATH when it mattered. Burned Simon repeatedly and then burned him some more. This is a brilliant move to shore up a clear Seattle matchup weakness against some types of teams. Surprised NE made him available.

Love the angle of inside info from a NE player for a potential SB matchup, like former Seahawk LOB member Brandon Browner basically winning SB49 for the Pats by stuffing Kearse's attempted pick, Browner knew what was coming from his time in Seattle, and knew the personnel from matching up against Kearse in practice. And he knew exactly how to toss Kearse aside like a rag doll to stuff the play and lead to the Malcolm Butler interception. I think I read he also told Butler what was coming and how to play it before the play too. (someone please share correct info that Browner-tipping-off-Butler part is incorrect)

Also love this trade as it shows how Pete is thinking and feeling about this group, that it is a special group with a chance to do big stuff, especially now with Sheldon Richardson on the D-Line. Cuts through the public over optimistic BS coach-speak just a bit. Place your Vegas SB bets on Seattle now, fellas...