Ohhhh the missed call on Wagz

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Barakas":pj7w32p4 said:
cnjvh":pj7w32p4 said:
Just heard on the KIRO post game show it was deemed legal because he was on the line of scrimmage.

Can someone please explain that one in detail. I heard them say that after the play but I have no clue what they mean by that. How does the line of scrimmage play into the rules?!?!??!

They don't know what they're talking about.

They're referencing the 2017 rule change in which you can't take a running start from off the line and leap, but somehow don't know that using teammates for leverage to leap over the line has been illegal for as long as I can remember.

Anyone who seriously tries to argue he didn't use two teammates for leverage to make it over is just using fan logic and being silly.

The only thing that's really surprising about it is how obvious of a flag it was, that threw the flag, and then picked it up.

Whatever though. Really bad and potentially game changing calls happen.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Refs are part of the human race.

I love them all.

May they go in peace...

leea35

Reaction score
h. Placing a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent to gain additional height to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick, or in an attempt to jump through a gap to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick

j. Running forward and leaping across the line of scrimmage in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or Kick, or apparent kick, unless the leaping player was in a stationary position on the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped. A player, who is behind the line of scrimmage before or at the snap, may run forward and leap, provided he does not cross the line of scrimmage or land on players.

Those are how the penalties are worded according to https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/20 ... ke-conduct

Rule 12, Section 3, Article 1.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
cnjvh":3qmby6xk said:
Just heard on the KIRO post game show it was deemed legal because he was on the line of scrimmage.

They're looking at the wrong rule. Here's the rule in question:

NFL Rulebook":3qmby6xk said:
(p) Placing a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent to gain additional height to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick, or in an attempt to jump through a gap to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick.

There is no line of scrimmage exclusion for that one, which is the one he would be guilty of. The line of scrimmage exclusion is on a different rule:

NFL Rulebook":3qmby6xk said:
(r) Running forward and leaping across the line of scrimmage in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or Try Kick, or apparent kick, unless the leaping player was in a stationary position on the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1i26rsa0 said:
I was thinking more in lines that even if they called it,,,,,,,,,doesn't mean that caused the Minnesota loss.

Absolutely true.

But when that call goes against your team rather than for it all of sudden nobody wants to be held to that standard. :lol:

I see it with 9ers fans all the time. It's why we have 32 fanbases which all insist that their team gets atypically screwed by officiating (which, because these 32 teams are playing each other, is literally impossible). :x

Hawknballs

Reaction score
The refs were bad.

Cousins and his 80 bajillion dollars was worse.

21-7 final score.

BigMeach

Reaction score
Popeyejones":32nsajf3 said:
Barakas":32nsajf3 said:
cnjvh":32nsajf3 said:

Can someone please explain that one in detail. I heard them say that after the play but I have no clue what they mean by that. How does the line of scrimmage play into the rules?!?!??!

They're referencing the 2017 rule change in which you can't take a running start from off the line and leap, but somehow don't know that using teammates for leverage to leap over the line has been illegal for as long as I can remember.

Anyone who seriously tries to argue he didn't use two teammates for leverage to make it over is just using fan logic and being silly.

The only thing that's really surprising about it is how obvious of a flag it was, that threw the flag, and then picked it up.

Can you elaborate on the leverage and obvious part? I mean I see the hands touch but he's coming down at that point as far as I could tell.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
BigMeach":2s38ut94 said:
Popeyejones":2s38ut94 said:
Barakas":2s38ut94 said:
cnjvh":2s38ut94 said:

Can you elaborate on the leverage and obvious part? I mean I see the hands touch but he's coming down at that point as far as I could tell.

Jeremy517 quoted the actual rule above.

. (p) Placing a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent to gain additional height to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick, or in an attempt to jump through a gap to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick.

If you want to argue that he didn't place his hands on a teammate (really two teammates) to gain height or jump through a gap I can't really stop you, but I don't see the point in debating if reality is real or not.

If peolle wanna say with a straight face that pushing his palms flat on two teammates' backs while pushing himself over is something other than it is, more power to em, I guess. :lol:

hoxrox

Reaction score
Placing a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent "to gain additional height"

Debatable.

rcaido

Reaction score
my thread got lock...had more to do with media against the seahawks but I guess one thread only... :roll:

So do you guys think this play will be kept replaying all season long? We still haven't recovered from fail mary and other fans think we benefit with most calls.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Jeremy517":3cnx3ceb said:
Uncle Si":3cnx3ceb said:
did he gain height?

He did it to jump through the gap, which is the second no-no listed in the rule.

If he used his hands as leverage. But he didnt gain height, and he didnt gain acceleration. Maybe balance.

The guy pulled it because he wasn't sure. His hands on their backs with little physical advantage can be debated. im bored of this already.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
It has a high likelihood of being replayed, along with the “fail Mary,” when we make MNF appearances.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Both sides are being a little over the top here: Niner fan trying to make sure the hawk fans stay grounded while overdoing the infraction (Bobby makes contact but really gained no push from the minimal contact) and a few hawk fans here not acknowledging that while the contact was minimal, probably should have been a penalty regardless according to the letter of the rule.

To me though the bigger question is why? Why is this a penalty anyway? Seems odd-what are they trying to prevent?

Latest posts