Ohhhh the missed call on Wagz

Jeremy517

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2dukzve0 said:
Jeremy517":2dukzve0 said:
Uncle Si":2dukzve0 said:
did he gain height?

He did it to jump through the gap, which is the second no-no listed in the rule.

If he used his hands as leverage. But he didnt gain height, and he didnt gain acceleration. Maybe balance.

The gain height part is irrelevant. Here's the rule, reformatted to make it easier to read:

Placing a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent:
(A) to gain additional height to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick
OR
(B) in an attempt to jump through a gap to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick.

Not guilty of A, guilty of B.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
you dont know if his hands helped him jump through the gap though.. as stated above. Neither did the ref, which is why the flag was pulled.

The rule wasn't knew. It was basically made because of Wagz. Just not as obvious as everyone wants it to be. I recognize the refs could have easily gone the other way with it

Jeremy517

Reaction score
Whether it helps or not isn't part of the rule, just whether he does it or not.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2on6z5gm said:
Both sides are being a little over the top here: Niner fan trying to make sure the hawk fans stay grounded while overdoing the infraction (Bobby makes contact but really gained no push from the minimal contact) and a few hawk fans here not acknowledging that while the contact was minimal, probably should have been a penalty regardless according to the letter of the rule.

To me though the bigger question is why? Why is this a penalty anyway? Seems odd-what are they trying to prevent?

It's not cuz I'm a 9ers fan, it's cuz I'm a prig about people complaining about officiating, trying to excuse away bad calls that benefit their team, and whining about how the refs are always mean to their team or conspiring against them.

Don't worry, I'm just as annoying about this stuff with 9ers fans on the Zone. :lol:

As for the "minimal contact", he pushed off with both friggin hands. :roll: I even muttered "idiot" to myself during the live play when he did it. Will drop it though. :2thumbs:

As for why it's a penalty, AFAIK it has always been a penalty because if it wasn't it would defeat the point of field goals and extra points. Guys would just be launching off their teammates all the time. They say it's about safety, but the game doesn't really work if you're allowed to do that. Without that rule you might as well just do a gymnast thing and spring teammates up vertically to block the kick. That would be fun to watch for sure, but again, it kind defeats the whole point of the kicking game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Jeremy517":2uygh27s said:
Whether it helps or not isn't part of the rule, just whether he does it or not.

I keep looking at that, and it doesn't seem obvious.

First part is you have to gain height, the second just says getting through the gap. Help or aid seems implied by the first part of the rule (literally same sentence)...

Cant say if Wagz was aided by his hands on the teammates as he went through.

Be interesting to see what league says.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
So give Minn a 1st down and assume they score a TD. We still drove 63 yards for a TD and then the strip sack TD happened after. We still win and this is a giant moot point. The media is making it out like Wagner was drunk in a yacht off Catalina Island and assaulted someone...

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1zx5cqw9 said:
Hawkpower":1zx5cqw9 said:
Both sides are being a little over the top here: Niner fan trying to make sure the hawk fans stay grounded while overdoing the infraction (Bobby makes contact but really gained no push from the minimal contact) and a few hawk fans here not acknowledging that while the contact was minimal, probably should have been a penalty regardless according to the letter of the rule.

To me though the bigger question is why? Why is this a penalty anyway? Seems odd-what are they trying to prevent?

It's not cuz I'm a 9ers fan, it's cuz I'm a prig about people complaining about officiating, trying to excuse away bad calls that benefit their team, and whining about how the refs are always mean to their team or conspiring against them.

Don't worry, I'm just as annoying about this stuff with 9ers fans on the Zone. :lol:

As for the "minimal contact", he pushed off with both friggin hands. :roll: I even muttered "idiot" to myself during the live play when he did it. Will drop it though. :2thumbs:

As for why it's a penalty, AFAIK it has always been a penalty because if it wasn't it would defeat the point of field goals and extra points. Guys would just be launching of their teammates all the time. They say it's about safety, but the game doesn't really work if you're allowed to do that.

Haha I know, mostly just bustin your chops. It is your mission after nearly hawk game so we've seen you on these types of rants before. And hey, sometimes they are probably well deserved :)

I would have to think that if jumping over teammates made kicking impossible, offensive lines would just adjust. nature of the game. Guess I just fail to see how it's unstoppable, but maybe I'm just missing something.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":nsjukwz4 said:
So give Minn a 1st down and assume they score a TD. We still drove 63 yards for a TD and then the strip sack TD happened after. We still win and this is a giant moot point. The media is making it out like Wagner was drunk in a yacht off Catalina Island and assaulted someone...

wine mixer?

253hawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":19shxn51 said:
cnjvh":19shxn51 said:
Just heard on the KIRO post game show it was deemed legal because he was on the line of scrimmage.

That's some CTA by the refs if it's coming from them.

Truth is they missed it.

And we'll take it.

Except they didn't miss it; it was flagged immediately and then picked up after discussion from those that had a better view.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Uncle Si":m5z5rkm6 said:
did he gain height?

Yeah, both height and propelled himself through the gap.

giphy.gif

Giphy

Jeremy517

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3st6x60y said:

The strip sack and the 63-yard drive wouldn't have happened because the rest of the game would have played out completely differently. The Seahawks might have still won or the Vikings might have won, but we'll never know because everything after would have been different.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
those replays dont show him gaining height. just balance.

But thanks for coming on to try and talk us all down fella.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":37pcp2zr said:

He is just here to protect the zebras, since they have no friends.
Quite a noble quest if you ask me. :sarcasm_off: 8)

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2ckev3en said:
Uncle Si":2ckev3en said:
did he gain height?

giphy.gif

Giphy

Look if its a rule (can't touch at all) then its a rule, but he really doesn't gain anything from his hands there. This video isn't making your case.

In other words, could he have completed his jump as it was without putting his hands down? Yeah.

But he did, unnecessarily, so maybe its a flag either way. I don't know. But he didn't gain anything whatsoever other than maybe balance at the most.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":37rmr38h said:
West TX Hawk":37rmr38h said:

wine mixer?

Close... November 1981 Catalina Island...

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3389efxa said:
Popeyejones":3389efxa said:
Uncle Si":3389efxa said:
did he gain height?

giphy.gif

Giphy

Look if its a rule (can't touch at all) then its a rule, but he really doesn't gain anything from his hands there. This video isn't making your case.

In other words, could he have completed his jump as it was without putting his hands down? Yeah.

But he did, unnecessarily, so maybe its a flag either way. I don't know. But he didn't gain anything whatsoever other than maybe balance at the most.
He’s Homersitic Niner fan pretending he’s neutral without bias...... :lol:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":ollo57oi said:
Uncle Si":ollo57oi said:
West TX Hawk":ollo57oi said:

wine mixer?

ahh.... now i get it.

I knew i wood eventually

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ln2njsr said:

Yeah, as I said on the last page, if you can watch that and with a straight face say he's not pushing off two teammates to get through the gap or gain height then there's really not much to talk about.

And I'm not trying to talk anyone down.

I'm just kinda rubber knecking at the insanity of fandom at this point, and getting a kick out people trying to argue that black is white.

Again though, beyond the fun of that who cares, though? Calls get blown. The end of the game would have been more fun if they didn't blow a really easy toward the end but it goes both ways and over time these things even out.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
You're not talking anyone down... just talking down to them...

Iff there's not much to talk about.. then don't

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1qmoxref said:
West TX Hawk":1qmoxref said:
Uncle Si":1qmoxref said:
West TX Hawk":1qmoxref said:

wine mixer?

ahh.... now i get it.

I knew i wood eventually

:2thumbs: :)