OL personnel going into next year not that bad?

AgentDib

Reaction score
Ifedi should get a second season at RT and I think he's still the Hawks long-term plan A there. Fant is an RFA after next season so I think they will be OK with him competing against and then backing up both tackle spots, and coming in as Brown's replacement in 2019. With Odhiambo providing further depth and utility here the Hawks probably feel OK at tackle.

Britt is pretty set in stone at center for 2018 and 2019 unless injured. We'll need a replacement in 2020 unless we plan on extending him again. Pocic will be on the last year of his rookie deal then so it may be competition between the two of them.

Our focus this off-season will probably be on the guard play and depth. Roos looked good in a tiny sample size and Pocic should improve with an off-season working out with a professional training staff. Fixing the run game may require spending some resources here, however, and I wouldn't be surprised if we add guard competition in the form of both a veteran FA along with a rookie who can run block.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":33u94t1e said:
Lots of "Know-It-Alls" in here have already shut the book on KNOWLEDGE.
I don't pretend to have all the answers, but there are a bunch in here like to PRETEND they do.
We were ONE SHITTY KICKER away from the playoffs.
ZERO Continuity.....Brown wasn't going to INSTANTLY fix the O-Line woes, and battle hardened Pro-Bowl Defenders weren't going to let them have the time to figure it out either....These aren't excuses, these are the FACTS.
Lmao..
The same people say Fant might not have helped but I feel he would have.
The body of work is there and just needed to be tuned but he got hurt.
I hope a lot of us are eating crow next year.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Again, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who believed losing Fant was a major blow to our product on the field. Rees was like a 2/10. Fant may have been anywhere from a 3-6/10. DB is a 8/10 but slipped to like a 6/10 for who knows why. Overall I think LT ended up being better than it would've been had Fant played.

chris98251

Reaction score
IndyHawk":21btl7px said:
scutterhawk":21btl7px said:
I don't pretend to have all the answers, but there are a bunch in here like to PRETEND they do.
ZERO Continuity.....Brown wasn't going to INSTANTLY fix the O-Line woes, and battle hardened Pro-Bowl Defenders weren't going to let them have the time to figure it out either....These aren't excuses, these are the FACTS.
Lmao..

Well if we can tune this we can fix our O line with the current staff in place.
99995 eight

NJlargent

Reaction score
We can over analyze the OL as much as we want but at the end of the day our line stinks and has since okung left. We also have lousy coaches that aren’t good enough or willing to fix it. There is no room for optimism.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
NJlargent":18yisw4d said:
We can over analyze the OL as much as we want but at the end of the day our line stinks and has since okung left. We also have lousy coaches that aren’t good enough or willing to fix it. There is no room for optimism.
Agreed.

Tom Cable is just terrible but for some reason is believed to be a good offensive line coach.

The below is my reaction to Pete Carroll continuing to believe in Cable.

Picard facepalm

HawkerD

Reaction score
adeltaY":2mcnrsii said:
Maybe I'm crazy.

LT - Duane Brown is a pro bowl guy. No idea why he he started playing worse after the Jags game. I choose to believe more work with Russ and he'll understand how to block better for his QB's unique style

LG - Roos/Pocic/? shouldn't be terrible. Lots of lines have rookies or marginal players on them and are okay.

C - Britt was a probowl alternate but got worse this year. He showed he had top tier potential so hopefully he gets back to form.

RG - Ifedi/Pocic/Roos/? again lots of lines have meh players on them and are okay. My hope is that Pocic gets stronger and locks down one of these guard positions.

RT - Fant/Ifedi. If Fant heals up and the improvements are real, he could work well here. If Ifedi calms down he can be good.

I guess my point is that there aren't many if any lines where every player is good to great. Maybe the Eagles OL before Peters got hurt. Even the elite lines have weaknesses, but they work around em. The Falcons had the best offense last year and their RG was pretty bad. Raiders RT has been bad the past couple seasons and they still pass blocked very well.

I don't think personnel is an excuse for this line being atrocious going forward.
You are somehow convincing yourself with words that these same guys we played this year are somehow good. I watched all year...they were terrible! Worse than terrible in fact. You put some words down and all of a sudden they are good? Makes no sense. They may be improved but still well South of good. Ifedi is likely a bust ala moffit. Pocic doesn't have the body to be a guard. Fant has a almost zero experience as a football player and is coming off a bad injury. I am laughing my ass off typing this that you can possibly believe this OL has a chance to be average

I wonder how we would look with Okung, Carpenter, Britt, sweezy and Gocomini

scutterhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":r7kdu8hb said:
IndyHawk":r7kdu8hb said:
scutterhawk":r7kdu8hb said:
Lmao..

Well if we can tune this we can fix our O line with the current staff in place.
99995 eight

Yep.....I rest my case.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
I don’t know how you come away thinking ‘not that bad’ from that list.

Duane Brown — regressed, unknown if he will return to form
Roos — played half of an nfl game, it went as expected.
Pocic — way too light, took serious lumps (has potential though)
Britt — same as Brown
Ifedi — bad football player, failed at RG/RT, absolutely should not start
Fant — coming off of injury, awful player beforehand, has never played RT

I’m going to say that is down right bad, but there is always a glimmer of hope I suppose.

Also, would it kill them to stop bringing in super tall interior lineman? we keep putting tackle bodies at interior spots.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Look at other lines around the league. Their players aren't that great as individuals, yet they can actually function as a unit. The Bengals have a pretty bad line, but at least they were able to run dominantly on some teams. We have no such performances this year. The Cardinals line is atrocious, you can't say the line they fielded on Sunday was better than what we put out there and our line got dominated and theirs at least opened holes for their third string RB to get consistent small to decent gains.

There's no way with the draft capital and money invested in this line that their complete failure as a unit is due to anything but coaching at this point. That's what I'm trying to say, not that these guys are world beaters, just that they should be at least average!

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
adeltaY":3qv49cfq said:
Look at other lines around the league. Their players aren't that great as individuals, yet they can actually function as a unit. The Bengals have a pretty bad line, but at least they were able to run dominantly on some teams. We have no such performances this year. The Cardinals line is atrocious, you can't say the line they fielded on Sunday was better than what we put out there and our line got dominated and theirs at least opened holes for their third string RB to get consistent small to decent gains.

There's no way with the draft capital and money invested in this line that their complete failure as a unit is due to anything but coaching at this point. That's what I'm trying to say, not that these guys are world beaters, just that they should be at least average!

I don’t know if the draft capital or money is super relevant (as those can easily be mistakes), but yeah, I see what you are saying. Teams worse off than us (sounds crazy to say), mostly due to injury, somehow managed to protect and or run the ball markedly better than us. Some of the stats out their are absolutely mind boggling.

I am on the fire cable train, and reevaluate use of ZBS (rules implemented have been working against the scheme for years now). So, I think I agree that we can do better with what we have player wise, if we make coaching and tactical changes. Doesn’t necessarily mean they will even be ‘not bad’ however. Some of the players are just that terrible.

chris98251

Reaction score
All we have to do is look at our cast aways on other teams and their success to know it's not all about our evaluation. Those players with a few exceptions succeed and have been starters.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
And yet, I've heard some fans give Cable credit for Carpenter being close to a pro-bowl talent on the Jets. I'm pretty sure his productivity jumped AFTER he left the Hawks and started playing in the Jets' system. I have to give him some credit for Sweezy, but apparently Sweezy looks much better playing for the Bucs than he ever did for us. From what I can tell, Breno stayed Breno and was awful this year for the Texans, but that's probably because he's been so hurt these past few years. Unger's been a beast in NO, but he was a beast here. I think that's just his talent level, but IDK.

And oh my lord lest I forget we started Drew frickin' Nowak for what seven games in 2015? That is a COACHING gaffe. Damn I'm pretty pissed off.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The line will continue to stink as it has. Why believe otherwise? You can pretend all you want that those names look good on paper, but it will never equate to the field.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Fant was Ifedi-level bad in 2016. Well, okay, maybe that's a slight exaggeration given that Ifedi may have set NFL records for bad in 2017. But Fant was a typical Cable player - oozing with potential but showing so much inconsistency that he became a liability. Constantly beat in pass pro, constantly assignment-wrong. He was responsible for three of Wilson's 5 sacks in the 2016 Arizona game. He gets the benefit of a doubt purely because he's cheap.

I'm not opposed at all to grabbing another high OL from somewhere to push our current personnel. Joeckel was no good, Ifedi is an emergency to replace, and it remains to be seen whether Pocic can bulk up and stop getting pushed back all the time. We have three major liabilities on the line and it needs to end.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3qo6oxkq said:
Have a drink Pitt :lol:
But yeah, hard to get excited about his O Line. Ugh

I drank all season long watching that Oline. :irishdrinkers:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Holy hell, you and me both. If I had a dollar for every time I said from my seat "Can someone block for the Quarterback....sometime this century?" Or "Why do you bother even TRYING to run?"
Or "You can't even get one measly yard on 3rd down?" Or "Can you guys actually play football, for once, in the 1st half of a game?"
on and on and on..........