Ongoing RB Preseason Thread

hawk45

Reaction score
ACFan":2cjtj98g said:
I've really come to think it's a matter of how Collins is responding to the coaching, it must be.

I'll preface this by saying I think AC is a really good guy, he's a lot closer to the mindset of helping an old lady across the street than grabbing her purse and running off with it.

He seemed very coachable at Arkansas, but Bielema's style may be much different than what he's getting at the pro level,and I don't think AC has responded well. He may be too sensitive, and that's 100% on AC, I don't know.

How does he respond when other backs come in and get his reps at practice?, maybe poorly, which puts him in even worse shape. just speculation.

I acknowledge that if something doesn't change quick, AC will be headed to the PS or another team.

If somehow, someone presses the right button, and lights a fire under AC, or he just learns to accept the coaching better, I still think he can prove his worth, even on a team seemingly stacked at RB.

A couple of series in the middle of the game, middle of the field, deep in the I, where we feed him the ball and let him get in a groove.

I hope he earns, or is granted that opportunity for Friday's game, by how he responds in camp this week.

Seems an awful long distance to travel to avoid a conclusion that AC may just not have the goods to make this roster.

To me it seem that he has responded just fine and done everything asked of him. Came in heavy last year to try and better fit the Seahawk-y RB mold. When that didn't work, slimmed down and improved on quickness a little. Slimmed down even more in the off-season. It just seems that he isn't powerful enough to fit the Lynch/Lacy/Rawls mode and isn't quick enough to fit the Prosise mold.

I thought we'd see more carries for him, but maybe there was less competition there than we thought. If they don't feed him this next game then it must be they made up their mind before these games started.

He's hanging by a frayed thread if it hinges on being a third down back. I'd rather see Reece catching balls and pass blocking on third down than keep another tailback for that.

Seymour

Reaction score
Right now Collins is #4 on RB depth chart and Carlson is not even on it (stops at 4). That surprised me a bit as Collins really hasn't established himself yet either. Looks like depth chart is heavily favored to draft selection when it comes to those 2 to me.

ACFan

Reaction score
Seymour":1au09f86 said:
Right now Collins is #4 on RB depth chart and Carlson is not even on it (stops at 4). That surprised me a bit as Collins really hasn't established himself yet either. Looks like depth chart is heavily favored to draft selection when it comes to those 2 to me.

Thanks for that info Seymour, maybe that means Collins will get the kind of carries this Friday that Carson got last week.

Draft position does seem to matter, certainly with Prosise, who seems to be safe, though not asked to show much at all, a high ceiling seems to be his biggest accomplishment. I think also a year of showing you can do it matters too, Collins contributions at the end of last year were pretty good and steadily improving, Prosise showed he can have a big game, so they both have that edge over Carson.

Having said that, I expect Carson to make the team.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
ACFan":2iv7grad said:
KiwiHawk":2iv7grad said:
Carson had two touchdown runs, both from the 1 yard line. You only list one attempt at short yardage or goal line for him.

1 rush for 1 yard doesn't shine as a power rusher, but how about 2 rushes for 2 yards and 2 TDs? That's a bit shinier.

The only reason he got only 1 yard is they don't count yards after you cross the goal line. Unfortunately, it messes with the average per carry, but take my word for it; Carson looked very good on both attempts.

Thanks for the correction, I had a nagging feeling Carson did have another short yardage carry somewhere, it was his 2nd TD, duh.

I've made the same point about what multiple short yardage attempts does to an average. Collins had 4 short yardage attempts and averaged a yard a carry, Carson had two, and also averaged a yard a try.
Yes but on either of Carson's attempts it looks like he would have made it from at least 3 yards out, and one he would have gone from maybe 10?

At this point, sample size is so minuscule as to be meaningless, so visual impression is really all we have, and from visual inspection, Carson looked the part more than Collins did on the night.

ACFan

Reaction score
Ain't over til it's over I guess, looking forward to Friday's game.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/08/16 ... ining-camp

3. Alex Collins had a good day.

A lot has been made of the competition at running back during camp, and for good reason—it’s a very deep and talented position group, one Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said might be the best he has had in Seattle. And while Thomas Rawls, Eddie Lacy and C.J. Prosise have been the top three in that group during camp, the depth behind them has impressed as well, and on Wednesday it was Alex Collins’ turn to stand out.

Collins had a couple of nice runs, but what stood out most was a catch that would have been spectacular even if a receiver had made it. During seven-on-seven drills, linebacker Bobby Wagner leapt to get a hand on a Trevone Boykin pass, slightly redirecting the ball. Collins adjusted to the ball and somehow still got his hands on it, then held on despite contact from safety Earl Thomas as he was securing the pass.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
ACFan":1yni93kc said:
Ain't over til it's over I guess, looking forward to Friday's game.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/08/16 ... ining-camp

3. Alex Collins had a good day.

A lot has been made of the competition at running back during camp, and for good reason—it’s a very deep and talented position group, one Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said might be the best he has had in Seattle. And while Thomas Rawls, Eddie Lacy and C.J. Prosise have been the top three in that group during camp, the depth behind them has impressed as well, and on Wednesday it was Alex Collins’ turn to stand out.

Collins had a couple of nice runs, but what stood out most was a catch that would have been spectacular even if a receiver had made it. During seven-on-seven drills, linebacker Bobby Wagner leapt to get a hand on a Trevone Boykin pass, slightly redirecting the ball. Collins adjusted to the ball and somehow still got his hands on it, then held on despite contact from safety Earl Thomas as he was securing the pass.

Had a chance to make a solid grab in game. Dropped it. 7 on 7 in practice isn't enough. As you said, looking forward to Friday, where guys can prove it. AC needs to show up big to make the team.

ACFan

Reaction score
We need good answers on 3 RBs tonight IMO, Lacy, Prosise and Collins.

I know people want to see more of Carson and Davis, they got good chances last week, and can again next week, but we have more invested in the 3 above and I don't think we really know what we have with all 3.

I hope there isn't a lot of swapping in and out each series, I want to see each of the above RBs be "the guy" for a few series, have a chance to get in a rhythm.

Lacy: Ride him hard, every aspect of the game, test his worth for two straight series, see how he holds up, see what he shows, Can he be a guy we can ride the majority of a game?, the season?, does he look like that guy? we need to know, but If he's actually only the 3rd or 4th best back we have, we need to know that too.

Prosise: same as Lacy, he's got to be more than just a guy who comes in on 3rd down. He's got to be more than a guy with a high ceiling, show us. Give him 3 straight carries, see if you can ride him down the field, using him in passing game, catching and protecting, short yardage, whatever, don't swap him in and out.

I'm not saying let's try to injury him, but let's test his durability. See if he can be a bell cow for two series.

I say if he produces those two series without so much as a limp, he's a keeper. If he gets an injury that would keep him out of next week's game, we part ways or move him down the depth chart.

Collins. Same, I think he got a passing grade in the passing game last week, held his own but didn't really excel in short yardage. Now hopefully he'll get chances at what he's always been most successful at, being a 1st and 10 runner.

If Carson or Davis come in before Collins again this week, it'll be perplexing, and not a good sign for AC. We need to firmly establish what AC is, or can be. He seemed to get meaning reps back in practice again this week, and looked good, hopefully that'll translate into meaningful PT tonight.

I'd get the best answers I could on EL, CJ, and AC tonight, evaluate Carson and Davis more in PS3 and PS4 if need be.

ACFan

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":202u28ip said:
Had a chance to make a solid grab in game. Dropped it. .

He had a chance to make an incredible circus catch is more like it, and he didn't drop it, he barely got two fingers on it, be fair.

Davidess

Reaction score
The knock on Carson was his inability to be elusive and what I saw during the first preseason game blew me away a bit. His long run (got called back unfortunately) he ran parallel to the Line and then darted up field for about 10-15 I believe. He did do that on a couple runs but nothing BIG came of em. I did like his ability though. I honestly don't recall Pope being elusive as much as he had holes to run through. if someone has a highlight film of Pope ill gladly take a look but I do really enjoy Carsons running style.

Now if we can stay healthy (I got excited for Rawls and he was healthy till his body apparently started to show wear) and not fall into the Rawls mold of being lethal WHEN healthy. but lethal AND healthy

anyways I like Carsons early showings of potential and hope the best for him to make the squad.

GO HAWKS

ACFan

Reaction score
I think we got a good evaluation of what Boykin can do passing last week, no doubt he'll get more work tonight.

But I'd be more than happy to see us lose this game tonight because we run too much. It'd be OK with me.
Just get 40-50 carries for the backs. :)

We need solid answers, we probably won't even need Boykin in '17, but we know we'll need at least two solid RBs.

Who are they going to be? Let's find out tonight which ones look the best leading ground assaults down the field.

I'd love to see us win the game tonight by using heavy run (not heavy Boykin's arm), and leave with some more concrete ideas about the RB pecking order.

chris98251

Reaction score
Prosise is doing what they drafted him for, he is not a every down back, he is a wild card guy, split end, running back, slot, he is doing what he is suppose to do, he is not brought in to be a power guy and get short yardage unless we get they will never expect it plays.

The Mediots don't understand how were using him, ignore them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't like seeing Rawls dinged up already, not a good sign.

But this means we get to see more of Lacy, and I'm especially excited to see more of Carson. His one cut and go physical running style is very AP like.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
How a 250 pound rb can't manage to score a td from the 2yd line is beyond me. Lacy more like a stumper than a thumper in that first drive of the game. SMH..... Carson looks terrific again. He can do what Prosise does too. Carson is looking like the top back on the team.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Collins...is gone. Everyone sees it. Terrible fumble and just no pro level acceleration. His running style needs work and I'm not sure I see the point of even keeping him on the practice squad-Would rather see an extra receiver like Moore and Grayson on that squad earning checks.

Carson is the future for us, barring injury. He has all the tools and I couldn't care less about what round he went. His cuts, high acceleration, good receiving, strength and toughness all fit our mold.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2tmnr8do said:
Collins...is gone. Everyone sees it. Terrible fumble and just no pro level acceleration. His running style needs work and I'm not sure I see the point of even keeping him on the practice squad-Would rather see an extra receiver like Moore and Grayson on that squad earning checks.

Carson is the future for us, barring injury. He has all the tools and I couldn't care less about what round he went. His cuts, high acceleration, good receiving, strength and toughness all fit our mold.

Agreed.. buh bye Collins.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Seeing a lot that confirms what we saw last week. I think Lacy looked a tad bit better though. Agree with the others that Carson really could be the future here, but we'll see. Davis is indeed moving on up to the east side and Collins slides back. McKissic's value at returner/gunner still sticks out even though he's as much a receiver as a back.

I like the way things are shaping up though. We're down on the upside.

ACFan

Reaction score
The only positive I can say for Collins tonight is that he had 92 more yards than Rawls or Prosise.

The fumble was inexcusable, don't know what he was thinking carrying the ball like that, that's not him.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I'm getting tired of Prosise myself. He is entering pansy territory.

ACFan

Reaction score
Natethegreat":385cxwh7 said:
I'm getting tired of Prosise myself. He is entering pansy territory.

May be Collins only chance if they give up on Prosise. Collins looks great in the passing game, CJ may only be a better deep threat than AC in that department, but CJ's not better as a 3rd back at all if he's never available.