Ongoing RB Preseason Thread

bigskydoc

Reaction score
My current ranking

1 - Lacy tenuous hold on the starting position thanks to injuries. Looking like he is starting to get comfortable here. I still think he has the highest ceiling as a bell cow back of all the backs, but if Carson keeps bringing it and stays healthy, Lacy will be gone next year.

2 - Rawls. 2nd only because of injury concerns. Given the new flux on the line, I think Rawls would be number one as he creates better, but if he can't get healthy, he may be on the block

3 - Carson. Preseason wonder, perhaps, but the due is balling. He creates better than Lacy, and appears to have better hands

4 - Prosise with a big asterisk. Dude has got to get healthy and produce, or he's on the block too. We are starting to get several of these ill-defined, Percy Harvinesque (the tantalizingly good parts of Harvin), players. Not really RBs, TEs, or WRs. I could easily see Prosise on the block if he doesn't get healthy quickly.

5 - Collins. He looks to be that cheap, steady, unexciting but always available, back. Kind of like the backup quarterback that you hope to never need, but want to have someone who will be available and will keep you at 50% while the starter recovers

6 - Davis. Honestly don't see what others see in the guy. He's worse than Collins in just about every respect.

Assuming no IR for these players, I could easily see either Rawls or Prosise getting axed and the lineup consisting of Lacy, Rawls OR Prosise, Carson, Collins.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Not that Rawls and Prosise are competing with each other in terms of similar skill set, just that you really can't continue to hold a two spots for players who are always injured. While I would tend to think Rawls would be the one to get that oft-injured spot, his skill set is too similar to other backs on the roster, and perhaps Prosise gets another chance. Also more team control for Prosise.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Also, I knew that I didn't see Prosise in the game, but he wasn't on the list previously. Turns out he tweaked his groin in pregame. He's going to be kept, but he and Rawls are concerning in that it's a lot of the same as last year thus far. And the year prior, I guess, for Rawls too. Concerning indeed...

ACFan

Reaction score
My RB assessment after two games.

Lacy: By far the best power back we have, quite valuable because of that, otherwise looked slower than expected. Looks like a 20 yard run would be quite an accomplishment for him. Still, he looks like a back who can handle his part on long sustained drives, which is what we need.

Carson: Looks very deserving of the 2nd spot, solid in every aspect so far and has made good on his time with the 1's, nice play in the passing game.

Davis: Great job on seeing the backside open up on that long run, nice quick cut to take advantage of it. Not so sure Rawls and maybe even Carson would have ran that up to the line too quickly before they saw the cutback lane. Also made a nice play in the passing game.

Collins: If he's blacklisted from the NFL because of that fumble, I couldn't say anything, it was that bad. Everyone knows, including AC, you don't run through a crowded line near the goal line carrying the ball in one hand, never saw him do that before, ever, no explanation for it. Obviously a very correctable problem, but how much that sours his image to the coaches will have to be seen.

Otherwise, I believe he again did OK with what he was given. He isn't quick enough to avoid penetration or create on his own,but he does just fine when the play is well blocked, have no doubt he would have matched Davis's long run if inserted into that play.

His best chance may be taking Prosise's place, AC looks like he'd be a more than adequate 3rd down back. His best play of the night was the 12 yard catch, 4 defenders in the area, and he got 6 YAC, no one got a clean shot on him, went to the ground going forward.

Apparently great hands, great route runner, and while he's struggled some to find the 2nd level as a runner(with the plays he's been given) those pass plays get him to the 2nd level instantly, and that's where he shines. they must have seen that in camp, and that's why he's been the most targeted RB the first two games. 7 targets, 6 catchable, 6 catches, nice YAC, solid protector.

Rawls and Prosise: N/A again.

The only sure way Collins makes the team is if we have to give up on both Rawls and Prosise, and I doubt that happens. He could make the team if we have to give up on one of them, especially if it's Prosise.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I thought Lacy looked good last night. Watching his carries had me thinking in the 4th, those guys aren't going to tackle him. Carson continued to look good. I don't know what Collins is doing. That final drive he showed all the traits he doesn't show the rest of the game. I think he's gone. It's a little scary to me that we will be keeeping Prosise and Rawls as 2 of the 4 RB. I almost want to keep 5 so we can hang on to Davis as well. He's looked very solid. I wouls feel much better about having Rawls and Prosise if we had Carson and Davis too.

ACFan

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":242cok7s said:
I don't know what Collins is doing. That final drive he showed all the traits he doesn't show the rest of the game. I think he's gone..

In large part, it's just the opportunities, when he gets his share, he does pretty good. It was interesting Davis and Collins both looked bad running when Boykin went out, and both instantly looked good again when Boykin came back in.

EverydayImRusselin":242cok7s said:
I think he's gone..

Cannot argue after that fumble.

The only point really left in AC's favor is if it is established he is equal to CJ as a 3rd down back, then he makes more sense to keep. A history of always being available versus a history of seldom being available.

The fact CJ was drafted two rounds higher, and might be a better deep threat isn't enough IMO, because those things aren't crucial to being a good 3rd down back. 1) pass protection, 2) being in the right spot as relief valve, on routes. 3) good hands and YAC, moving the chains. That's what you need a 3rd down back for.

Collins has shown he can do those things, as good as Prosise or even better, and can be depended upon to always be available to do it, game after game.

If Prosise is exclusively a 3rd down back, (and then is only available 20% of the time) isn't it an easy choice?

Wouldn't be surprised to see Davis start to get 3rd down looks, if he can do it without fumbling, he make take CJ's spot instead of AC. But AC does look like he could do very well there.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
The last run by Collins made me cringe a little. He had a nice gainer, but once he was past the initial tacklers and got into the open field.. instead of steam rolling for some more yards, he tried his dancing and was pummeled ..

ACFan

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1akedwu5 said:
The last run by Collins made me cringe a little. He had a nice gainer, but once he was past the initial tacklers and got into the open field.. instead of steam rolling for some more yards, he tried his dancing and was pummeled ..

I felt like I got punched in the gut when Collins fumbled. I'm still licking my wounds after that one.

ACFan

Reaction score
Understanding the relevance isn't that great, here are the numbers:

Rushing:

A. Collins 10 for 58
M. Davis 6 for 37
C. Carson 6 for 27
E. Lacy 6 for 20

Receiving:

A. Collins 4 for 35
M. Davis 1 for 22
C. Carson 1 for 17
E. Lacy 1 for 3

It's noteworthy that if you take away Davis's 38 yard run, he went backwards for the other 5 carries.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Where was Prosise last night?

Hangnail issue, or ? :roll:

He sure is babied by the team. Year 2 and consistently unreliable due to one issue and/or another.

He doesn't deserve to be the #3 RB

Seymour

Reaction score
jammerhawk":25ekoioc said:

He sure is babied by the team. Year 2 and consistently unreliable due to one issue and/or another.

Pretty much.

Running back C.J. Prosise suffered a tight groin prior to the game and was unable to go Friday night.

“It’s disappointing because we were really excited about him playing tonight,” Carroll explained in his postgame press conference. “But he didn’t know and we didn’t know until he went through all the throwing stuff in the pre-pregame. He just couldn’t get quite get going. Something he felt a little bit last week.

http://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/20...-updates-after-seahawks-victory-over-vikings/

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Since his NFL days may be numbered, good thing he's got this Lacrosse thing to fall back on. The important thing of course, is that Alex finds an activity he can be happy playing.

[youtube]kKMR6McDj1s[/youtube]

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Collins fumbled but still had a better game than Lacy, Rawls, and Prosise. The latter two didn't play due to being oft injured (even if what they have is minor injury). He averaged 5.8 ypc and also was the 2nd leading receiver on the Seahawks. That's not bad. The fumble was unfortunate and didn't help. Ignoring the fumble he had a decent game otherwise. Mike Davis had a good game too. It's good comp between Davis and Collins. I believe Carson has made the team. He will stick on the 53. Rawls and/or Prosise better heal up quick or they may be moving toward the cut line.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Bobblehead":31dr6v60 said:

It's hard to keep a head of steam when you are stumbling (at least that's what it looked like to me when reviewing the replay). It seemed like he got off balance a bit and was regaining his balance, by that time the defender caught up to him.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1q2t0l0x said:
jammerhawk":1q2t0l0x said:

Pretty much.

Running back C.J. Prosise suffered a tight groin prior to the game and was unable to go Friday night.

“It’s disappointing because we were really excited about him playing tonight,” Carroll explained in his postgame press conference. “But he didn’t know and we didn’t know until he went through all the throwing stuff in the pre-pregame. He just couldn’t get quite get going. Something he felt a little bit last week.

http://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/20...-updates-after-seahawks-victory-over-vikings/

If Prosise is getting banged up in PS pregame warmups, what can we expect in week 11, 12 when everyone is hurting and fighting to just make it through the final stretch? He "just couldn't get quite going" sounds absurd. If he's seriously tearing his groin in light passing drills before the game with no contact, he'll never make it half a season through the rigors of the NFL.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":12hvvx07 said:

You can look back to threads after he was drafted,I wasn't happy with picking him.
I said he gets hurt ALL the time.It isn't a talent issue but a glass body issue.
You can be a star player but it doesn't matter when you cannot play most of the time.
I blame John for not researching CJ/PRich injury history before picking them.
A lot of players should not be playing football with such a fragile body.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Rawls and Procise are just not durable. Chris carson could be the starter or at least in a timeshare by week 4