Ouch.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I'll get this over early. ;-)

Gratz Ringless and all Cards fans here.

That was gruesome. No excuses. This is not to take blame away from him as Kap played poorly for sure but the offensive line is the worst in the NFL. They can't run block. They can't pass block. Basically, they can't block. I said before that I thought the 49ers had a chance to be decent. The last two losses of the offseason absolutely killed them. Anthony Davis on the right side of the line and Aldon Smith to apply some kind of pressure without blitzing.

If something doesn't change there quickly week 1 may be the only win they get this year.

Gratz to the Cards on a 3-0 start and what looks like a 2 game lead on the entire division.

rlkats

Reaction score
Yes great game by the Cards and Bruce.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
hey Marvin,
What is your opinion of how they shifted around the oline, specifically moving Davis to the left, releasing Martin for Pears and firing looney for devey or dovey? Do you feel Marcus Martin can perform lt as center? I'm short long term u think it can work to Kaeps benefit or does Kaep just need to go away

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3tr8ajl1 said:
hey Marvin,
What is your opinion of how they shifted around the oline, specifically moving Davis to the left, releasing Martin for Pears and firing looney for devey or dovey? Do you feel Marcus Martin can perform lt as center? I'm short long term u think it can work to Kaeps benefit or does Kaep just need to go away

Couple things. Davis didn't move to LG. He retired. At 25. Sigh.

Boone moved from RG to LG and I thought from the beginning he should have been the RT.

Marcus Martin has been horrible. They need to get Kilgore back in the worst way just to have a decent center. Devey and Pears are showing why they aren't playing for the teams they were on last year.

I have no idea why Brandon Thomas isn't playing.

Kap? He had the worst game of his career today. No question. His line was a joke, but he was plenty to blame as well. The odd thing is that eRly on it seemed like he was trying to stay in the pocket and deliver the ball but that was precisely what got him in trouble. The third INT was an attempt by him to put touch on the ball and loft it over the defender and he just under threw it badly.

Bottom line I don't know what to make of it. All I know for sure is that if this is the line we are going to have all season the 1st pick of the draft is in play.

SF49r

Reaction score
How about Mangini though? He's been horrible so far.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
SF49r":3mox8hvk said:
How about Mangini though? He's been horrible so far.

Game 1 was great. Since? Not so much. Tough to tell tho how much is personnel and how much is scheme.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I'm just flattered that you chose to address Seattle and Arizona fans before posting your post-game thoughts over on the Webzone, Marv. :179417: :179417: :179417:

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":290j3qb0 said:
I'm just flattered that you chose to address Seattle and Arizona fans before posting your post-game thoughts over on the Webzone, Marv. :179417: :179417: :179417:

LOL.

That's a Monday morning thing. I have to rewatch that travesty before I post on the webzone. :D

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":1wj37cpe said:
Laloosh":1wj37cpe said:

LOL.

That's a Monday morning thing. I have to rewatch that travesty before I post on the webzone. :D

I'll be there for you. These five words I swear to you... I'll beee... therrrre for, youuuuuu....

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":1sstozbv said:
Marvin49":1sstozbv said:
Laloosh":1sstozbv said:

LOL.

I'll be there for you. These five words I swear to you... I'll beee... therrrre for, youuuuuu....

"when you breathe, I wanna be the...."

...wait...wha? :D

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I thought this game would be a bloodbath, but I didn't think Kaep would pick six them out of the game while the coin toss was still hanging in the air.

kearly

Reaction score
Dennis Erickson was hired as a professional fall guy the last time the 49ers had this kind of power struggle. He lasted two seasons. Right now I'd bet that Tomsula thinks that lasting two seasons sounds pretty good.

kearly

Reaction score
Arizona does look good. Blowouts matter, even against bad teams. But jeez, they have gotten the cream of the crap so far.

They won't play a team you'd expect to finish with a winning record until week 10 (Seattle). Other than Pittsburgh, who will be without Big Ben.

After Arizona's week 9 bye week, their schedule is really tough. Which is good because there is a high chance they'll start 8-0.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well beating up the have nots week to week creates a level of comfort that when faced with a real challenge can be a wake up call and take a few weeks to get back on track, end of the season against tough competition is a tough time to make corrections with the pressure on. One can hope.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
They're no joke unlike the 49ers and we've given them a two game lead already. We're going to have to run the table until our bye week just to have a shot given our comparative schedules.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3cubtupo said:
I thought this game would be a bloodbath, but I didn't think Kaep would pick six them out of the game while the coin toss was still hanging in the air.

Perfect - I'm gonna quote you on that.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
You mean COACHING actually matters? LOL.

This is a team with plenty of talent, even on the offensive line. Joe Staley is one of the best LTs in the game. Alex Boone is a Pro Bowl-worthy guard. Brandon Thomas is a terrific prospect and was one of the best guards of the preseason. What you don't have is adequate coaching to get the most out of these players and to put them in a position to succeed.

Jordan Devey is terrible and lacks any kind of experience in your system. Marcus Martin is pathetic . . . not an NFL player. WTF was Tomfoola thinking?

RedAlice

Reaction score
kearly":2z2mv2wz said:
Arizona does look good. Blowouts matter, even against bad teams. But jeez, they have gotten the cream of the crap so far.

They won't play a team you'd expect to finish with a winning record until week 10 (Seattle). Other than Pittsburgh, who will be without Big Ben.

After Arizona's week 9 bye week, their schedule is really tough. Which is good because there is a high chance they'll start 8-0.

It's becoming annoying the comments about the Cards this year. Even you Kearly must admit that all info from last year is without their QB. Rams had none last year either.

The entire last year the NFC W was Kap and Wilson, and the other two teams. Now AZ has their QB and you act like they are lucky to be good.

You are like one second from me wishing you lose Wilson and then see you talk.

eta: not that my wishes matter. I've just never wished or thought about wishing injury on anyone before. Your arrogance is annoying.

kearly

Reaction score
RedAlice":36wzrjqr said:
It's becoming annoying the comments about the Cards this year. Even you Kearly must admit that all info from last year is without their QB. Rams had none last year either.

The entire last year the NFC W was Kap and Wilson, and the other two teams. Now AZ has their QB and you act like they are lucky to be good.

eta: not that my wishes matter. I've just never wished or thought about wishing injury on anyone before. Your arrogance is annoying.

Arizona might be a really good team this year. The facts do not suggest they were a good team last season.

The Cardinals were sitting at a +3.3% DVOA in week 10 last year, before any of Palmer's backups had started a game. Arizona's DVOA at the end of the season was -6.4%, which suggests that while the team was bad after Palmer went down, it wasn't massively worse than the team with Palmer.

For comparison, Seattle finished last season with a +31.9% DVOA, which was almost 10 times further from the median than the Cardinals were WITH Palmer.

Basically, Arizona was a mediocre team last year that got some fluky wins both before and after Palmer's injury. You won't find many teams that post a -6.4% DVOA and get to 11 wins while playing in the toughest division in football. It was a fluky season.

So far this year, Arizona is on a massive tear. But when you look at the 3 opponents they've played, they all look they will be picking in the top 5 next April. Like I said, I think they will probably start 8-0 now that Big Ben is down for the count (already the 2nd time the Cardinals will face a backup QB this season). The Rams traveling to Arizona next week might actually be the best team Arizona plays in the first half of their schedule.

I would feel so differently if Arizona opened up 3-0 with wins over Seattle, Green Bay, and Cincy. I guess it's fitting since Arians is their coach, but even when they rack up good records it feels hollow when those wins all happen against terrible teams or even some decent teams that just fall flat on their face that week. It's just like the Colts the last few years.

I actually grew up and graduated high school in Arizona and have long liked the Cardinals as my 2nd team. I have nothing against them and I think they have played extremely well so far in 2015. I just would like to see them tested by a legit playoff team before I put much stock in their prospects. And the only playoff contender they'll face before week 10 will be starting Michael Vick. They're gonna start 8-0, but it will be 8 straight layups made, not 8 straight jumpers. Maybe they keep it rolling and win the SB. I just think the context demands a degree of skepticism. Especially since Palmer's current passer rating is more than 30 points above his career average. I just don't see that holding up for 16 games.

I think Arizona will stumble at the end of the year when Palmer will likely be less than 100% and they start facing real teams. I'd bet that Seattle is at least 3 games back of AZ at some point this year, but that they'll go into the week 17 game with a chance to win the division.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":3qzy3ze4 said:
RedAlice":3qzy3ze4 said:

Arizona might be a really good team this year. The facts do not suggest they were a good team last season.

The Cardinals were sitting at a +3.3% DVOA in week 10 last year, before any of Palmer's backups had started a game. Arizona's DVOA at the end of the season was -6.4%, which suggests that while the team was bad after Palmer went down, it wasn't massively worse than the team with Palmer.

This is the perfect example of how limited DVOA is as a metric.

Arizona was a completely different team, much worse, without Palmer.