Panthers Release Boykin

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3ecn4tww said:
This is remarkably uncomplicated and your post is the type of garden variety equivocation that I suggested you not lean on to get out of answering a "yes" or "no" question.

The statement contained precisely three clauses, which are as follows, as now numbered and embedded in the full statement.

"there is a reason why nobody took a flier":

1) "on him earlier" (read: he did not go at the top of the FA market)

"and he settles for a"

2) "one year" (read: a single year contract)

3) "bargain deal." (read: below his initially assumed value).

Recall that this is the precise statement I responded to.

if there is one of these clauses that Michael Bennett's move from the Bucs to the Seahawks does not satisfy, you would have already said so rather than just equivocating about nonsense.

In turn, that you think I'd even remotely care about you flailing around with empty, rhetorical personal insults as a further way to obfuscate your lack of argument just reflects poorly on you. I'm complete unmoved by it bro-bro. :th2thumbs:

Again, if you want to argue with a straight face that Bennett doesn't satsfy one of those clauses just say so, but waving your arms around a lot and hoping nobody notices is a waste of time.

Well done there. Good offseason form. I smiled.

Detailing your simplification of Hawk's post to push Bennet and Boykin into the same plot is remarkably uncomplicated. That is true. So there is your yes. It also misses the point Hawk Nation was implying... that the two deals are implicitly different due to the value of the player. A point he made in the post earlier. You ignored it and generalized the other criteria to satisfy a point that is a reach at best. You can celebrate that how you wish bro-bro, but given the nature of the post it's becoming rather transparent. Arm flailingly so. It's also a bit hypocritical given that many (edit: some) of your posts are simply chasing Hawks fans around to reveal how their emotional side impairs their posting.

So, whether you want to continue to maintain, with a straight face, that you're using three simple criteria to plot two players and suggest it somehow strengthens your point while ignoring what seemed clear was being implied when he made the post then enjoy yourself. Not sure how that sort of banality is helpful. It also misses his point. Maybe purposefully.

Keep turning that mirror and hope it satisfies your purposes here.

Quick edit... I have no negative opinion of the player or deal. Actually looks a solid deal for a good player. I just didn't think the Bennett comparison was strong.

ctrcat

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":h5f8fnnu said:
ctrcat":h5f8fnnu said:
Cary Kollins":h5f8fnnu said:
when do the panthers get massacred by the cap like we did?

When they have to pay their incredibly average CB 16m a year?

Panthers aren't going to pay Norman 16m per year. If they were, he'd be signed long term by now.

By the way this is true. He is born and raised in the Carolinas and he either takes a hometown discount or he walks next year. Should he equal or surpass his 1st team All-Pro play of 2015, then a second tag may be an option, and, at that point, he'd be 30 years old. He's simply not getting that kind of money on a long term deal with the Panthers.

Yeah that $14m franchise tag hometown discount.[/quote]

For one year and he's in his prime. Fair enough. Who knows, he may still sign long term any time before July. Or hell maybe he even gets traded. We're talking long term like Cam and Kuechly through 2021 and 22 respectively. He's not getting that kind of money long term with the Panthers. The question was when the Panthers will be in cap hell again. If anything as good as Stewart was last year as the feature back, he is the last of the gargantuan contracts from the previous regime. After that don't expect Gettleman to overpay.

ivotuk

Reaction score
That's a steal. He's an excellent slot corner and returner, who if coached properly would be a great addition. He struggled in Philly? What? Must be no good :p

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3cygts26 said:
Well done there. Good offseason form. I smiled.

Detailing your simplification of Hawk's post to push Bennet and Boykin into the same plot is remarkably uncomplicated. That is true. So there is your yes. It also misses the point Hawk Nation was implying... that the two deals are implicitly different due to the value of the player. A point he made in the post earlier. You ignored it and generalized the other criteria to satisfy a point that is a reach at best. You can celebrate that how you wish bro-bro, but given the nature of the post it's becoming rather transparent. Arm flailingly so. It's also a bit hypocritical given that many (edit: some) of your posts are simply chasing Hawks fans around to reveal how their emotional side impairs their posting.

So, whether you want to continue to maintain, with a straight face, that you're using three simple criteria to plot two players and suggest it somehow strengthens your point while ignoring what seemed clear was being implied when he made the post then enjoy yourself. Not sure how that sort of banality is helpful. It also misses his point. Maybe purposefully.

Keep turning that mirror and hope it satisfies your purposes here.

Quick edit... I have no negative opinion of the player or deal. Actually looks a solid deal for a good player. I just didn't think the Bennett comparison was strong.

Offseason it is. :lol:

How did I ignore part of Hawk_Nation's post when it was a single line and I addressed it in its entirety?

What happened is that Hawk_Nation listed three criteria by which he was dismissing Boykin.

I replied that those same three criteria he was using could also have been used to dismiss Michael Bennett.

The implication of my post was that these may be bad criteria to dismiss Boykin as they clearly would have been bad criteria to dismiss Bennett.

I perfectly understood what was implied by his post and was simply disagreeing with it, using a player who fit that same criteria who we all know quite well and all think is a really exceptional football player. I wasn't missing his point, I was disagreeing with it.

Clearly stated: I do not believe a signing is definitively "meh" because a player slipped through the market and signed a 1 year prove it deal. Instead, I think that happens every year, and turns out really exceptionally for the team and player sometimes too (I used the examples of Bennett and Crabtree).

Me pointing out that a really exceptional player for the Hawks also at one point found himself at the back of the market taking a one year bargain deal is me chasing around and needling Hawks fans?

You're being waaayyyyy too sensistive, bro-bro.

2_0_6

Reaction score
The Panthers window is damn near closed, pretty soon most your "hardcore" fan base will be Tampa Bay fans.

:sarcasm_off:

Go Hawks :D

IrishNW

Reaction score
Us Seahawk fans don't want the Panthers stealing our thunder, so yeah we hope you guys start to fall apart. We make fun of your QB because we are insecure ;)

In reality though you can be as optimistic as you want but losing the Superbowl will take a toll on your team. Cam Newton not diving on that football will cause drama in the locker room. Other teams will start poaching your roster for players AND coaches. Your superstar players will get paid either by Carolina or someone else. Your no longer the underdog team that no one saw coming, your in the limelight and its all uphill from here.

ctrcat

Reaction score
IrishNW":3hxuhghi said:
Us Seahawk fans don't want the Panthers stealing our thunder, so yeah we hope you guys start to fall apart. We make fun of your QB because we are insecure ;)

In reality though you can be as optimistic as you want but losing the Superbowl will take a toll on your team. Cam Newton not diving on that football will cause drama in the locker room. Other teams will start poaching your roster for players AND coaches. Your superstar players will get paid either by Carolina or someone else. Your no longer the underdog team that no one saw coming, your in the limelight and its all uphill from here.

I think an underrated key is Ron Rivera. Once the butt of jokes at 2-14 in one score games, he truly is a uniter among players. He and others in the know also are outspoken in their expectations of an improved and freakier Kelvin Benjamin. Only time will tell but those outweigh the concerns at this point.

kobebryant

Reaction score
ctrcat":3jg8xzmt said:
IrishNW":3jg8xzmt said:

I think an underrated key is Ron Rivera. Once the butt of jokes at 2-14 in one score games, he truly is a uniter among players. He and others in the know also are outspoken in their expectations of an improved and freakier Kelvin Benjamin. Only time will tell but those outweigh the concerns at this point.

Oh no doubt. The inverse of being a team with a target on it and players/coaches that other people want is being a team that has Jimmy Clausen or Charlie Whitehurst at QB. First class worries.

kobebryant

Reaction score
What I like about Rivera is that while he is a defense and running game minded tough guy, he doesn't run around trying to sell people on the fact that he is a tough guy - like those insecure boisterous Ryan clowns. He's more measured, therefore it carries more weight and impact when he really does have something to say. (plus he's got that mafia hitman looking dude with the shades and chains always standing a couple feet from him on the sidelines)

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kobebryant":7mwcokd7 said:
What I like about Rivera is that while he is a defense and running game minded tough guy, he doesn't run around trying to sell people on the fact that he is a tough guy - like those insecure boisterous Ryan clowns. He's more measured, therefore it carries more weight and impact when he really does have something to say. (plus he's got that mafia hitman looking dude with the shades and chains always standing a couple feet from him on the sidelines)
Good post and I agree with your take on Rivera and the Ryan's (especially Rex) 100%.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
kobebryant":2pii28ht said:

Here's a fantastic piece on Rivera and what has made him the coach he is today. Great read for any sports fan.

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/ron-ri ... -panthers/

pehawk

Reaction score
Alright g'damn it - can we stop verbally servicing Rivera already? I like him too but this is a Seahawks board, knock it off.

2_0_6

Reaction score
pehawk":35vn31is said:
Alright g'damn it can we stop verbally serving Rivera already? I like him too but this is a Seahawks board, knock it off.

There is an old saying.... "If you don't have a Lombardi then hang out with those who do".
:thfight7:

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
pehawk":2yrn23a8 said:
Alright g'damn it - can we stop verbally servicing Rivera already? I like him too but this is a Seahawks board, knock it off.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the NFL Nation section.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":36f20rzm said:
pehawk":36f20rzm said:
Alright g'damn it can we stop verbally serving Rivera already? I like him too but this is a Seahawks board, knock it off.

There is an old saying.... "If you don't have a Lombardi then hang out with those who do".
:thfight7:

This place sure beats the inbred Saints message board, I'll give you that.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Cary Kollins":1aoz289z said:
kobebryant":1aoz289z said:

Here's a fantastic piece on Rivera and what has made him the coach he is today. Great read for any sports fan.

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/ron-ri ... -panthers/

Excellent read. Especially the opening paragraph - I think it is crucial for coaches to give professional athletes a glimpse of perspective. Why I thought the Hawks having a 35 year old green beret longsnapper in camp was beneficial (how much can you really complain about how hard training camp is when that dude is right there).

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Panthers fans,

You guys just signed a guy despite his former pedigree to a vet min deal at almost a month after free agency started and a player 31 other teams passed on signing at this point.

You dont need to educate us on why your team and FO is so damn great.

Seahawks fans,

This is a great value signing for the Panthers but I wouldnt act like its some supreme addition with significant impact on the Panthers.

Like I said pretty much a month in and 31 other teams passed on Boykin. For the time being he is just another guy to add veteran depth and raise thier floor.

OP
OP
TheRealDTM

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":30mhc1hj said:
This is a great value signing for the Panthers but I wouldnt act like its some supreme addition with significant impact on the Panthers.

Like I said pretty much a month in and 31 other teams passed on Boykin. For the time being he is just another guy to add veteran depth and raise thier floor.

Eh, if we had let Lane walk and signed Boykin for this I would have been fine. If we had added Boykin to be our slot at this price I would have been ecstatic. He is a top slot corner in the league, the ONLY knock I've ever heard against him is some believe he gambles on routes for picks against the wishes of his coaches.