Panthers Release Boykin

ctrcat

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3706x4iz said:
Panthers fans,

You guys just signed a guy despite his former pedigree to a vet min deal at almost a month after free agency started and a player 31 other teams passed on signing at this point.

You dont need to educate us on why your team and FO is so damn great.

Seahawks fans,

This is a great value signing for the Panthers but I wouldnt act like its some supreme addition with significant impact on the Panthers.

Like I said pretty much a month in and 31 other teams passed on Boykin. For the time being he is just another guy to add veteran depth and raise thier floor.

When Cortland Finnegan was signed off the couch after Thanksgiving to play with Robert McClain and Roman Harper in the backfield I'd agree with the that. But Benwikere and Boykin are a huge upgrade. Not sure who will be added at SS yet but a long time before September. I'm also not privy to all the details, but multiple reports had Boykin turning down other teams and more money.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ctrcat":2xo3jgvy said:
I think an underrated key is Ron Rivera. Once the butt of jokes at 2-14 in one score games, he truly is a uniter among players. He and others in the know also are outspoken in their expectations of an improved and freakier Kelvin Benjamin. Only time will tell but those outweigh the concerns at this point.

Rivera's turnaround as a head coach really doesn't get talked about enough IMO. I understand he had to have a season with Jimmy Clausen at QB - but he looked completely out of his element too. He really has turned into a very steady coach and its obvious the team loves him. For awhile though, I think you could have literally lit Ron Rivera on fire and he wouldn't have flinched or noticed he was on fire.

Now that describes Jim Caldwell and not Ron Rivera. :D

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Boykin was waived today :lol:

Man the rich keep getting richer!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Gotta be injury related (which would also explain his availablity), or I guess arrest related or he's just woefully out of shape or something.

No other reason to cut him before TC, particularly given Norman's departure.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
My favorite part of this is ctrcat saying Jeremy Lane and Boykin are very similar.

Oops.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
Well, no one here saw that coming.

It'll be interesting to see what the Panthers FO says about it, but my guess is they are very happy with the three secondary players they drafted and didn't want a one-year vet rental stunting their development.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Cary Kollins":2br6yo6c said:

It'll be interesting to see what the Panthers FO says about it, but my guess is they are very happy with the three secondary players they drafted and didn't want a one-year vet rental stunting their development.

If you can sleep better at night thinking that three Rookie CB's will fill the void of Norman.. Well, pass me some of what you are smoking. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2qdbtx0p said:
Cary Kollins":2qdbtx0p said:

If you can sleep better at night thinking that three Rookie CB's will fill the void of Norman.. Well, pass me some of what you are smoking. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

we have a saying here, "In Gettleman We Trust"

granted, there are plenty of people freaking out because that's what some fans like to do

We're not going to know one way or the other if these moves pay off until well into next season and beyond, so I'm not getting my boxers in a wad over it.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Cary Kollins":2ke96mwh said:
Hawk_Nation":2ke96mwh said:
Cary Kollins":2ke96mwh said:

we have a saying here, "In Gettleman We Trust"

granted, there are plenty of people freaking out because that's what some fans like to do

We're not going to know one way or the other if these moves pay off until well into next season and beyond, so I'm not getting my boxers in a wad over it.

At least when we say 'In Pete We Trust', he's actually won something.

ctrcat

Reaction score
^Gettleman has been a part of 8 Super Bowl teams and 3 winners. Remember, he only took over as GM of the Panthers in 2013. In that time he's batting 1.000. Doesn't guarantee he'll always bat 1.000, but rather than spin this rather unexpected move, referring to Gettleman is the smart move. He has said he doesn't believe in championship windows or being one player away.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I hope the Seahawks are on top of things.

I rarely want the Hawks to sign someone who was released, but I would definitely support adding him. If we signed him I'd want it to be for 2 years though, since he'd likely bump a guy on a rookie deal off the roster.

OP
OP
TheRealDTM

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3ngpo9gd said:

I rarely want the Hawks to sign someone who was released, but I would definitely support adding him. If we signed him I'd want it to be for 2 years though, since he'd likely bump a guy on a rookie deal off the roster.

Seriously, if we can get a very highly rated corner in here to man the nickel or dime i'd be estatic, would prefer WTIII in a perfect world.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":f5hbat32 said:
bjornanderson21":f5hbat32 said:

Seriously, if we can get a very highly rated corner in here to man the nickel or dime i'd be estatic, would prefer WTIII in a perfect world.

Clearly the guy stinks. Unless you think being on 3 teams (4 if he signs somewhere again) in 4 years by the age of 25 is a good thing.

Also he's too small for our secondary so he was never and will never be a consideration here.

OP
OP
TheRealDTM

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3hpkfeh4 said:
TheRealDTM":3hpkfeh4 said:
bjornanderson21":3hpkfeh4 said:

Clearly the guy stinks. Unless you think being on 3 teams (4 if he signs somewhere again) in 4 years by the age of 25 is a good thing.

Also he's too small for our secondary so he was never and will never be a consideration here.

yeah he's 2 inches shorter than lane and 1 inch shorter than thurmond, while you are at it you should remind pete that RW is too short to play quarterback.

getnasty

Reaction score
People are acting like Boykin is Deon Sanders in his prime? Dude is a average NFL player that must have baggage.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Yeah, the dude just got cut making less than 900k for the year on a team that definately could use CB depth.

Yet, hes such a special player and better than Jeremy Lane?

Right, cuz Boykin wasnt still a free agent a month into free agency. Hes so good that he only managed a vet min deal. Hes so great that team that just got him for an amazing bargain didnt just cut his ass like a few of the teams that had Boykins on roster.

At least Lane has stayed with one team his whole career and actually had enough value to his team to get lockdown for another 4 making decent money.

Yet Boykin is a god? God of hype, maybe... Perhaps some on this board need to write up Hollywood to get a bromance in the works for Vernon Adams and Boykins... Most hyped up non-Seahawks players on these boards in 2016.

And Panther fans...seriously... This was you a month ago... Great bargain deal, Gettelman is thr best. Now its Gettelman knows all, hes the best.

Good luck, you guys just dumped the best corner in the league in 2015, replaced him with rookies and hope.

Not to mention how hard it is to maintain success in this league, Panthers fans know about that though, just remember you guys have a mark on your back as the team to beat in the NFC, your shitty division is probably going to get better, does Newton have the tact to recover from his immaturity during and after the SB, and how does your team handle its SB hangover.

And yes... I do... Hate... Your team. Not because you beat the Seahawks twice last year.. But because of your sorry albeit talented excuse for a QB that whined like a little girl on the biggest stage of his career after he was the biggest douchebag of the 2015 season.