Per Ian Rapaport; Anthony Davis Retires

Marvin49

Reaction score
TAB420":1u1349c0 said:
Marvin49":1u1349c0 said:
Jville":1u1349c0 said:
Commitment by management to players. It appears to allude them.

Meanwhile, what's the status on Wilsons contract? Right.

Well he hasn't retired yet, and he has stated that he wants to be here. I think that's a better status than, I willing to give back a butt load of money to leave. Something is up, and I don't think we have seen the last.

Honestly...I didn't really mean to make a deal out of the Wilson contract. I think it'll eventually get done.

I'm just kinda sick of the "our organization is awesome and yours is the 7th plane of Hell so everybody wants to leave" posts.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":308acnzt said:
TAB420":308acnzt said:
Marvin49":308acnzt said:
Jville":308acnzt said:

Well he hasn't retired yet, and he has stated that he wants to be here. I think that's a better status than, I willing to give back a butt load of money to leave. Something is up, and I don't think we have seen the last.

Honestly...I didn't really mean to make a deal out of the Wilson contract. I think it'll eventually get done.

I'm just kinda sick of the "our organization is awesome and yours is the 7th plane of Hell so everybody wants to leave" posts.

If it's any consolation, Marv... I only do it because it drives you nuts.

TAB420

Reaction score
Marvin49":1y6yio7h said:
TAB420":1y6yio7h said:
Marvin49":1y6yio7h said:
Jville":1y6yio7h said:

No fan deserve this Marvin (except for 3/4 of the douches at the webzone.) But it's hard to believe that this is just a few players wanting out, while their still healthy. And they all happen to be on the same team.

Marvin49

Reaction score
TAB420":3r2xqlb9 said:
Marvin49":3r2xqlb9 said:
TAB420":3r2xqlb9 said:
Marvin49":3r2xqlb9 said:

No fan deserve this Marvin (except for 3/4 of the douches at the webzone.) But it's hard to believe that this is just a few players wanting out, while their still healthy. And they all happen to be on the same team.

I hear you...but this is guys giving up MILLIONS to retire. They could try to get released or traded like AP has been trying to do. Makes ZERO sense to retire just because they don't like the owner/GM/Coaches. Players have a small window to make money. To think they are retiring because they want to escape the organization is justa pipedream from nihilist Niner fans and peeps who hate the team.

It just doesn't hold any water.

SF49r

Reaction score
Well then, next man up!!

Been saying that too much this off season lol.

Weadoption

Reaction score
I hear you...but this is guys giving up MILLIONS to retire. They could try to get released or traded like AP has been trying to do. Makes ZERO sense to retire just because they don't like the owner/GM/Coaches. Players have a small window to make money. To think they are retiring because they want to escape the organization is justa pipedream from nihilist Niner fans and peeps who hate the team.

It just doesn't hold any water.[/quote]

Some of the posters here suffer from a sports culture that until basically yesterday has experienced nothing but sadness and failure and are riding their hot hand, dishing out the payback.
Seattle Storm is still the greatest town franchise. Think about it.

TAB420

Reaction score
Weadoption":3cfxx4tk said:

Some of the posters here suffer from a sports culture that until basically yesterday has experienced nothing but sadness and failure and are riding their hot hand, dishing out the payback.
Seattle Storm is still the greatest town franchise. Think about it.[/quote]

And San Francisco belongs to the Giants....So?

Jville

Reaction score
Weadoption":l8hu7cew said:

Oh my ...... that won't address whats wrong.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Weadoption":1vx8hnm1 said:

Says the fan of a football team that has had only three winning seasons in the last 12 years.

BTW, that's the exact opposite of the Seahawks, who have been to the playoffs nine times in that same time period, including three Super Bowls. Not to mention we own the series lead over the Whiners, including five of the last six. The Yorks have screwed you over yet again; better get used to more beat downs.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":5x5tdxmj said:
Weadoption":5x5tdxmj said:

Says the fan of a football team that has had only three winning seasons in the last 12 years.

BTW, that's the exact opposite of the Seahawks, who have been to the playoffs nine times in that same time period, including three Super Bowls. Not to mention we own the series lead over the Whiners, including five of the last six. The Yorks have screwed you over yet again; better get used to more beat downs.

He was referring to the entire area....which includes the Giants who have won 3 World Series in the last 5 years and the Warriors who are currently in the NBA Finals.

Nice try tho.

Jville

Reaction score
Marvin49":1i0xvq03 said:
hawknation2015":1i0xvq03 said:
Weadoption":1i0xvq03 said:

He was referring to the entire area....which includes the Giants who have won 3 World Series in the last 5 years and the Warriors who are currently in the NBA Finals.

Nice try tho.

Marvin your response makes no sense.

Weadoption isn't refering to the Bay Area in his post.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marvin49":2ziqljtf said:
hawknation2015":2ziqljtf said:
Weadoption":2ziqljtf said:

Nice try tho.

As I have said many times before, SF is a baseball and basketball city. As far as football is concerned, the Bay Area is looking like a steaming pile of garbage with a near comatose fan base in Santa Clara, a clownish buffoon of a coach, an inept man-child owner, and players who are literally willing to pay millions of dollars out of their own pockets to not play there.

Maybe Jack Del Rio will resuscitate the Raiders . . . wouldn't that be something? The Raiders are looking more every day like the area's best hope at something approaching competitive football, while the Niners return to their pre-Harbaugh level of pathetic.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Weadoption":2wa2gij2 said:
Marvin49":2wa2gij2 said:
hear you...but this is guys giving up MILLIONS to retire. They could try to get released or traded like AP has been trying to do. Makes ZERO sense to retire just because they don't like the owner/GM/Coaches. Players have a small window to make money. To think they are retiring because they want to escape the organization is justa pipedream from nihilist Niner fans and peeps who hate the team.

Maybe things like this are why we give your amazing fan base such a hard time about your franchise circling the drain.

(Marvin following their drubbing in 2012)
Originally posted by Marvin49:
7) Harbaugh/Caroll/Sherman: I've had just about enough of this. I dunno if Harbaugh honked at the bus at the 'stick. Frankly I don't care. I can tell you this though...I CAN'T STAND Richard Sherman. His big beef with Harbaugh is that Harbaugh switched him to DB when he wanted to play WR. Yeah...looks like Harbaugh was WAY off the mark on that one SMDH. That dude had a very good game last night and has turned into a very good player...but he needs to shuit the hell up. I never advocate hurting players, but I have to admit I wouldn't shed a tear if someone took out his knees. I guess I can just enjoy the knowledge that he'll be sitting at home when his team is eliminated from the playoffs. I am really annoyed tho that he was even allowed to play in the game. Its a joke that he'll play 3 fulkl games while appealing his suspension. JOKE. As for Carroll, him being portrayed as having class is another big joke. The guy jumped ship from USC just before they were hit with sanctions. Coincidense? I think not. He just ran up the score last week. This thig is going to get ugly at some point and I hope we see that team again in the playoffs...AT THE 'STICK. That stadium is a crazy homefield advantage. Gratz to them for having that, but the Super Bowl is on a neutral Field...so good luck with that.
Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niner ... 0OBq1J0.99

A year later you're all whining about Bowman and how little class Seattle fans have.

The irony of Marvin complaining about people (Sherman) being allowed to play in games due to pending appeals to their suspension is the sweetest of ironies. Didn't he cite due process for Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Chris Culliver and Ray McDonald? I'm sure he'll do the same for Miller in the hope that he won't miss games.

See why we might get a good laugh out of all of the suffering?

I have no illusions about my team owning the divison, the conference or the league for an extended period of time so I'm perfectly fine with accepting the joy that will come to other teams and their fans when this era of Seattle football comes to an end. At the same time, I'm going to enjoy every minute of it and there's not a single thing any of you can do about it.

Nothing personal Marv, I'm just "sick of the high and mighty attitude".

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Laloosh":3drr6jw9 said:
Weadoption":3drr6jw9 said:
Marvin49":3drr6jw9 said:
hear you...but this is guys giving up MILLIONS to retire. They could try to get released or traded like AP has been trying to do. Makes ZERO sense to retire just because they don't like the owner/GM/Coaches. Players have a small window to make money. To think they are retiring because they want to escape the organization is justa pipedream from nihilist Niner fans and peeps who hate the team.

Maybe things like this are why we give your amazing fan base such a hard time about your franchise circling the drain.

(Marvin following their drubbing in 2012)
Originally posted by Marvin49:
7) Harbaugh/Caroll/Sherman: I've had just about enough of this. I dunno if Harbaugh honked at the bus at the 'stick. Frankly I don't care. I can tell you this though...I CAN'T STAND Richard Sherman. His big beef with Harbaugh is that Harbaugh switched him to DB when he wanted to play WR. Yeah...looks like Harbaugh was WAY off the mark on that one SMDH. That dude had a very good game last night and has turned into a very good player...but he needs to shuit the hell up. I never advocate hurting players, but I have to admit I wouldn't shed a tear if someone took out his knees. I guess I can just enjoy the knowledge that he'll be sitting at home when his team is eliminated from the playoffs. I am really annoyed tho that he was even allowed to play in the game. Its a joke that he'll play 3 fulkl games while appealing his suspension. JOKE. As for Carroll, him being portrayed as having class is another big joke. The guy jumped ship from USC just before they were hit with sanctions. Coincidense? I think not. He just ran up the score last week. This thig is going to get ugly at some point and I hope we see that team again in the playoffs...AT THE 'STICK. That stadium is a crazy homefield advantage. Gratz to them for having that, but the Super Bowl is on a neutral Field...so good luck with that.
Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niner ... 0OBq1J0.99

A year later you're all whining about Bowman and how little class Seattle fans have.

The irony of Marvin complaining about people (Sherman) being allowed to play in games due to pending appeals to their suspension is the sweetest of ironies. Didn't he cite due process for Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Chris Culliver and Ray McDonald? I'm sure he'll do the same for Miller in the hope that he won't miss games.

See why we might get a good laugh out of all of the suffering?

I have no illusions about my team owning the divison, the conference or the league for an extended period of time so I'm perfectly fine with accepting the joy that will come to other teams and their fans when this era of Seattle football comes to an end. At the same time, I'm going to enjoy every minute of it and there's not a single thing any of you can do about it.

Nothing personal Marv, I'm just "sick of the high and mighty attitude".

D6fcdc3b058c5c69217788fcf6506c71509x422x40

Maulbert

Reaction score

Popeyejones

Reaction score
drdiags":3eijicrh said:
I think players across the league have to be looking at decisions like this and debating with themselves and loved ones on the merits of playing an extended career in the NFL. Seems odd that the 9ers have had a rash of retirements this year but I wonder how many more players are close to stepping away from the game?

Borland played all year wanting to retire before calling it quits this off-season. I think this is just a ripple of things to come.

Good post. Don't forget Locker and Worlids this off season too.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
chris98251":3b8xlzfy said:
Popeyejones":3b8xlzfy said:
Hawknation, yes, in perpetuity.

If this had anything to do with York, Baalke, or Tomsula these guys would be holding out and forcing trades, not retiring and forsaking multimillion dollar careers.

Isn't retiring a form of holding out especially if you have a caveat of coming back in one or two years?

Not really. You hold out for two reasons: 1) you want more money or 2) you want to force a trade.

Taking a year or two off doesn't do anything to get you closer to FA and getting more money or anything to get you closer to signing with another team.

FWIW, he also went into detail about how much his concussion last year scared him, and has been exchanging friendly tweets back and forth with Jed York since the announcement. Like Borland, Locker, and Worlids, every single sign points to this being a sincere issue of health.

If this was about money or where he was playing he'd have to be an absolute idiot to retire rather than hold out, and as 9ers beat reporters* have noted for years now, Davis is a pretty thoughtful and intellectual guy.

*save for Grant Cohn, who has had a weird obsession with Davis since a few years ago when Davis made fun of Cohn on Twitterabout a really ridiculous column Cohn wrote (IIRC it was this truly bizarre column about what colors tights different players wore, and how that was evidence for some weird high school popularity contest that Cohn wanted to write about. Cohn spent the next few days writing Tweets and posts about Anthony Davis (that he later deleted) but as recently as this summer still seems to have not let it go.

EDIT:

Full story across these three posts:

1. http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/anthony ... rant-cohn/

2. http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/grant-c ... -security/

3. http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/grant-c ... ony-davis/

jon70

Reaction score
kidhawk":37l44hp5 said:
chris98251":37l44hp5 said:
So the new Coaching staff has truly been motivational this off season, the way the 49ers are retiring they could open their own retirement community.

I thought they already did

levis-stadium.jpg
somebodies gotta fill the seats