Percy Harvin NOT playing against 49ers (Updated Friday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
DavidSeven":hkyw5dpz said:
It would be wonderful to have Patterson on special teams, but let's be real, he isn't half the all-around player that Harvin is. Not even close. You can make that dude disappear on offense, just as most defenses did throughout the year.

Considering he was the #3 or #4 receiver for most of the year this is just blatantly false. He didnt even start to get involved into the offense until more than half way through the season. Not to mention they had Ponder as QB for most of the year and the whole passing offense was putrid.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
DrDix":1dgpjs0l said:
WilsonMVP":1dgpjs0l said:
DrDix":1dgpjs0l said:
I don't care what hits. You don't give up draft picks, including a first for ANYONE who gets injured this easily. First game back, his hip flares up. Second game back, injured AGAIN. Think about the players that could be helping this team, instead of an injury prone WR who now has a concussion. Not any simple injury, a concussion. AWFUL trade.

Once again the lie comes out. IDK how you can label him injury prone. He got injured during the middle of the season last year and has been recovering from that and then his hip issue. I think he is finally all healed up. The concussion is a completely seperate thing. Its not his fault he got hit in the head illegally.

A concussion, an injury which can completely destroy your life, is a completely seperate incident and not an injury. OK. No, it is an injury, and it is related. Those hits were awful and there isn't a lot Harvin could do, however, it does not take away from the fact, that he is injury prone. He puts himself in bad positions. Harvin is a unique talent, he just gets hurt.

I think of the players we could have drafted instead of trading for Harvin, and wonder how much better we could be. Clearly the Seahawks showed this season, Harvin is NOT needed.

Having a tough break and getting nailed in the head does not make him injury prone. This is a terrible take.

If he had numerous hamstring injuries, strained calf, etc. Then sure..

He had a full labrum tear in his hip.. which should sideline a guy much longer than it sidelined Harvin.. EVEN with the setback.

And then he had an unfortunate concussion because a no named Saints player took a chance to knock him out because the Saints wanted to set the tone on Saturday by being macho and big and bad.

That does not make him injury prone.

13thMan

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":jlhaqr3d said:
"When outside factors (randomness in the deck, or say, headhunting by the opposition) strongly influence eventual results, you cannot use those results as the sole criteria for evaluating the initial decision."

Except that was not the only game he didn't play in was it?

He clearly had a track record OR WE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN WARNED ABOUT THE TRACK RECORD AT THE TIME OF THE TRADE.

People just chose to make excuses for him. Maybe he is unlucky. I don't care. The fact is that he is paid millions of dollars to produce results on the football field and then people freak out when you (gasp) expect him to play in an actual football game. Or actually more than one in a row.

Pretending that this was all just an amazing surprise is willful ignorance.

Now the question comes up, if we cut him at the end of the year (or before camp next?) is the cap hit 4m or 13? Because he isn't worth 13 and is barely worth 3 right now. So why in the world would you keep him? Do we really believe that we won't be having this exact same discussion next year about:

"Why the (insert freak injury/medical condition here) is a great reason he should not be expected to play in (insert important game here) after missing (insert new round of missed games here) and we really did not know about (insert player we lost to keep Harvin) being lost having such an effect on the team so you cannot blame him?"

At some point Harvin is what his record is,

:13:

mikeak

Reaction score
DrDix":gyumpy56 said:
I think of the players we could have drafted instead of trading for Harvin, and wonder how much better we could be. Clearly the Seahawks showed this season, Harvin is NOT needed.

I disagree in that if anything our offense has showed that a play making WR is needed. First of all remember that we have two games left to win everything. Secondly - did you see the Arizona game? We are winning despite our current status of WRs not because of them being a strenght. We need an upgrade and Harvin has shown that every time he hit the field. You just go wow and then realize it was just a teaser

hawk45

Reaction score
Hasselbeck, I hear ya but I'm sorry I don't understand the definitions of injury-prone that want to put a microscope on why dude A averages 7 games a season and dismiss it. Like with Okung. Freak injuries or not, if the seasons a player plays 14 games or better are in the minority, or it's approaching 50/50, then they are injury prone. I don't care if it's meteor strikes.

Jury is still out on Harvin, and you're right that this season alone doesn't make the case, but this season, plus last season, plus the migraine season, at some point we reach a threshold. Harvin, to his credit, plays like a beast. Only he isn't built like a beast.

Look at a guy like Walter Jones and tell me that his sturdiness isn't a large part of why he was so great. It just makes a huge difference.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
DrDix":fimo8qbi said:
WilsonMVP":fimo8qbi said:
DrDix":fimo8qbi said:
I don't care what hits. You don't give up draft picks, including a first for ANYONE who gets injured this easily. First game back, his hip flares up. Second game back, injured AGAIN. Think about the players that could be helping this team, instead of an injury prone WR who now has a concussion. Not any simple injury, a concussion. AWFUL trade.

Once again the lie comes out. IDK how you can label him injury prone. He got injured during the middle of the season last year and has been recovering from that and then his hip issue. I think he is finally all healed up. The concussion is a completely seperate thing. Its not his fault he got hit in the head illegally.

A concussion, an injury which can completely destroy your life, is a completely seperate incident and not an injury. OK. No, it is an injury, and it is related. Those hits were awful and there isn't a lot Harvin could do, however, it does not take away from the fact, that he is injury prone. He puts himself in bad positions. Harvin is a unique talent, he just gets hurt.

How about we talk about old man rice and him being made out of Glass. Rice is a way bigger detriment to this team than Harvin. How is getting hit in the head twice his fault or showing him as injury prone, one being a clear illegal hit and the other being a pass that was not the best for trying to catch but still possible from Wilson.

Hell even okung is more injury prone than Harvin is. Harvin, as far as actual injuries go, has been completely fine until last year against us when he hurt the ankle. I guarantee there were forces at work more than him just being injured for why he didnt play the rest of the season. Then apparently he has had this hip thing his whole career which they fixed and ever since recovering from that has been relatively fine now.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Except he is.

And having concussions DOES make you more prone to them. That is a fact.

So the fact is that Harvin already has missed substantial amount of games for various issues over his career. They have all been different but the key element is that you cannot depend on him.

Whether he is injury prone is immaterial. He IS prone to miss games because of issues relating to his health or physical condition. Which is all that matters. He costs a great deal and delivers almost nothing. The likelihood is that he will continue to miss games in the future because of these problems or other problems. The reality is that many people pointed this out at his acquisition and things went down exactly as it was called (or worse)

Let please don't pretend this one game was his only game he didn't show up all year. He didn't show up all year which means he didn't earn his paycheck.

mikeak

Reaction score
As Minnesota fans pointed out to us - Harvin's injury history couldn't be seen in missed games. He had lots of games that he started but could not finish

Just point that out to everyone who wants to hang their hat on he isn't injury prone because he started so many games to start his career

DavidSeven

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":slo0oipu said:
DavidSeven":slo0oipu said:
It would be wonderful to have Patterson on special teams, but let's be real, he isn't half the all-around player that Harvin is. Not even close. You can make that dude disappear on offense, just as most defenses did throughout the year.

Considering he was the #3 or #4 receiver for most of the year this is just blatantly false. He didnt even start to get involved into the offense until more than half way through the season. Not to mention they had Ponder as QB for most of the year and the whole passing offense was putrid.

So you're saying his overall talents are comparable to Harvin? I honestly don't think anyone outside of MN believes that. He was targeted 9 times vs. Seattle and caught 3 passes. If he's not getting featured in an offense that has JOE WEBB in the WR rotation, then that is just as condemning as his lack of production IMO.

Basis4day

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3b7j1uzx said:
Except he is.

So the fact is that Harvin already has missed substantial amount of games for various issues over his career. They have all been different but the key element is that you cannot depend on him.

Whether he is injury prone is immaterial. He IS prone to miss games because of issues relating to his health or physical condition. Which is all that matters. He costs a great deal and delivers almost nothing. The likelihood is that he will continue to miss games in the future because of these problems or other problems. The reality is that many people pointed this out at his acquisition and things went down exactly as it was called (or worse)

Let please don't pretend this one game was his only game he didn't show up all year. He didn't show up all year which means he didn't earn his paycheck.

It's amazing how angry you seem to be about someone getting hurt playing football. It's football. Injuries are part of football.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'm glad that the Seahawks are taking precaution with Harvin and following the protocol. I think the NFL has done a good job with this. Concussions and blows to the head have had severe consequences for former players after their playing days are over. You have to consider Percy the human being before Percy the player. He's only in his mid 20s so hopefully he recovers and has a healthier career from here on out.

Basis4day

Reaction score
hawk45":160stx02 said:
Hasselbeck, I hear ya but I'm sorry I don't understand the definitions of injury-prone that want to put a microscope on why dude A averages 7 games a season and dismiss it. Like with Okung. Freak injuries or not, if the seasons a player plays 14 games or better are in the minority, or it's approaching 50/50, then they are injury prone. I don't care if it's meteor strikes.

Jury is still out on Harvin, and you're right that this season alone doesn't make the case, but this season, plus last season, plus the migraine season, at some point we reach a threshold. Harvin, to his credit, plays like a beast. Only he isn't built like a beast.

Look at a guy like Walter Jones and tell me that his sturdiness isn't a large part of why he was so great. It just makes a huge difference.

Don't you think its a bit unfair to compare what a player on this team is able to do and what a 1st Ballot hall of famer and arguably the best player at his position ever was able to do?

That's an impossible standard.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":pn6chb8b said:
ivotuk":pn6chb8b said:
Hindsight is 20/20.

If he makes a play in the SuperB Owl that gets us the win, I don't care what he cost us.

Go back and look at Holmgren's/Farve's/Green Bay's Superbowl, MH said they never would have won it without Desmond Howard.

The jury is still out.

Yep!
They also would have never won a Superbowl w/out Reggie White.

Basis4day

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1f5tlhwy said:
I'm glad that the Seahawks are taking precaution with Harvin and following the protocol. I think the NFL has done a good job with this. Concussions and blows to the head have had severe consequences for former players after their playing days are over. You have to consider Percy the human being before Percy the player. He's only in his mid 20s so hopefully he recovers and has a healthier career from here on out.

Personal satisfaction is all that matters to some fans.

mikeak

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2owzkgpl said:
I'm glad that the Seahawks are taking precaution with Harvin and following the protocol. .

I am thinking it is because of one of two reasons

1) Seahawks is the best organization ever in the NFL and really only cares about players

or

2) They didn't have a choice......

ZagHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":14jkcdie said:

WTH are you talking about. I demand ENTERTAINMENT. These football players are put on this earth and paid millions of bucks for my entertainment. Work these guys to death!!!

Just messing.

It's an overall shit situation. Nothing I can do about it. Just bummed about all the missed opportunities and what ifs

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1ltf1v2f said:
Except he is.

I wouldnt include his migraine problems into the "injury prone" label, he barely missed any games because of that and it was something that was completely unrelated to football or something that happened in a practice or a game. They fixed that issue anyway so isnt that not even relevant.

As far as ACTUAL injuries go he got injured week 9 last season against us and was held out the whole year from an ankle injury. Nobody actually knows if he was healthy to finish out the year or not. There have been conflicting reports about this and I wouldnt be shocked if they held him out to trade him or because of his attitude.

Then there is this hip issue which has apparently been with him this whole time and we corrected it and he rehabbed it. He had a setback after playing his first game on it and he just played another game and has no apparent flaring or setbacks from the hip.

Then he got the concussion because of a bad throw/decision and an illegal hit. Unlike defense an offense player cant just choose to avoid a concussion. Reid from the 49ers has a concussion because ITS HIS FAULT for leading with his helmet and trying for a big hit. Its NOT Harvins fault when he GETS HIT illegally might I add.

So basically his injury proneness consists of an injured ankle from he did or did not heal from completely during the season and then a hip problem that had been with him his whole career and he has bacially missed the last 1 and a 1/2 seasons other than 1 game and a little bit of training camp. He has ONLY been injured very recently.

Hawks46

Reaction score
andyh64000":29p97dt1 said:
So do the Saints pay a double bounty if the player misses the following week?

My first thought as well.

F*** the Saints. Seriously, I used to like that team.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
But either way he is going to cost the Seahawks a lot of money and they have no idea if he will even be able to play in more than 4 games next year.

Or if he will produce anything.

Which of course you can say with anyone but Harvin seems to have this problem enough that you almost expect it.

So can you rationally expect him to produce next year? I don't think so.

Which leads to the question, what do you do with him? His cap number alone lets you keep someone like a Michael Bennett, someone we need to keep more. We still have to make an offer to Earl Thomas and if that 13m number is true that is a hefty price tag for someone that doesn't actually contribute to any wins. Just that one alone is enough to probably keep a Bennet and Tate and one other player.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Pats are kicking ass without Gronk. We will have to kick ass without Percival. Too late to cry about it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.