Percy Harvin NOT playing against 49ers (Updated Friday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
DrDix":2bye4r9s said:
I don't care what hits. You don't give up draft picks, including a first for ANYONE who gets injured this easily. First game back, his hip flares up. Second game back, injured AGAIN. Think about the players that could be helping this team, instead of an injury prone WR who now has a concussion. Not any simple injury, a concussion. AWFUL trade.

Once again the lie comes out. IDK how you can label him injury prone. He got injured during the middle of the season last year and has been recovering from that and then his hip issue. I think he is finally all healed up. The concussion is a completely seperate thing. Its not his fault he got hit in the head illegally.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Guy throws his body on the line and some of you continue to poop on him.

Very classless and completely embarrassing.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
ivotuk":wi98dlt7 said:
Hindsight is 20/20.

If he makes a play in the SuperB Owl that gets us the win, I don't care what he cost us.

Go back and look at Holmgren's/Farve's/Green Bay's Superbowl, MH said they never would have won it without Desmond Howard.

The jury is still out.

Yep!

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
General Manager":1szvxjke said:
Trade was a bust and lets not get this twisted we needed him this year I don't give a rip about next year right now. To those that hated this trade you were right. I never expected it to play out this way on the other hand there were some red flags with Harvin and they were ignored.

Well if we WIN this next sunday he will be completely rested and healthy for returns and routes in the superbowl. I would much rather win without him this weekend and have him be healthy than having another Setback and him playing this weekend.

13thMan

Reaction score
G-Money":yo9uxrdk said:
Ironic that the 1st rounder we gave Minnesota for Harvin ends up being WR Cordarrelle Patterson. Turns out being the EXACT player we were hoping to get with Harvin. All Pro kick returner his first season, and a dual threat........rushing and receiving (and without the lucrative contract we gave Percy). Makes my stomach hurt....

Yep! Thanks for pointing that out... Now my stomach hurts!!!

No doubt we got the ass end of this deal..... Ugh.

mikeak

Reaction score
I am fine with the picks that went to Minnesota - that was fair

The cap consequences compared to drafting someone is what I don't like and didn't like. We really could never afford it from a keeping our core together perspective. THe only thing that may save that will be a large increase in the salary cap after the next tv contract.

A draft pick could be a bust but so can a FA player be. Concussion can't be blamed on Percy but the current status is that we have nothing to show for the trade. Hopefully that changes in two weeks but I still don't like the long term impact this deal had.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
DrDix":2aq36jxo said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2aq36jxo said:
DrDix":2aq36jxo said:
I don't care what hits. You don't give up draft picks, including a first for ANYONE who gets injured this easily. First game back, his hip flares up. Second game back, injured AGAIN. Think about the players that could be helping this team, instead of an injury prone WR who now has a concussion. Not any simple injury, a concussion. AWFUL trade.

This is just ignorance. That is all this is.

Right, my opinion on the trade is ignorance! Nice!

Nope, that's fine. The idea that getting a concussion is because he is injury prone (reference: hurt as easily as this) is ignorance. Let somebody hit you upside the head with that kind of force and see how you come out of it. My guess: we'd label you as "injury prone."

mikeak

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":aktp6w1u said:
Guy throws his body on the line and some of you continue to poop on him.

Very classless and completely embarrassing.

Every team in the NFL trades and cuts players that puts their body on the line - is that also classless and embarrassing? Saying the trade to date is a bust would be more like fact and not anything personal on PH.......

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1sx7j0sl said:
General Manager":1sx7j0sl said:
Trade was a bust and lets not get this twisted we needed him this year I don't give a rip about next year right now. To those that hated this trade you were right. I never expected it to play out this way on the other hand there were some red flags with Harvin and they were ignored.

Well if we WIN this next sunday he will be completely rested and healthy for returns and routes in the superbowl. I would much rather win without him this weekend and have him be healthy than having another Setback and him playing this weekend.

There is some merit to this. The Pats and the Broncos are not exactly known for punishing (or good) defense. Given that we have beat them at home this year, without Harvin on the field, this could be a fortuitous outcome.

Karma is on our side, thanks to the Saints.

(This is my glass is half full orientation)

Jac

Reaction score
I'm actually pumped that his hip held up through a week's practice and during full speed gameplay. That means it's structurally sound and he's going to be back to his old self. I feared he was going to be shut down and we'd have an offseason of uncertainty. This concussion thing just seems like Murphy's Law for him this year (alond with the Saints targeting our most lethal weapon). He's going to be a key playmaker for this franchise.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
"When outside factors (randomness in the deck, or say, headhunting by the opposition) strongly influence eventual results, you cannot use those results as the sole criteria for evaluating the initial decision."

Except that was not the only game he didn't play in was it?

He clearly had a track record OR WE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN WARNED ABOUT THE TRACK RECORD AT THE TIME OF THE TRADE.

People just chose to make excuses for him. Maybe he is unlucky. I don't care. The fact is that he is paid millions of dollars to produce results on the football field and then people freak out when you (gasp) expect him to play in an actual football game. Or actually more than one in a row.

Pretending that this was all just an amazing surprise is willful ignorance.

Now the question comes up, if we cut him at the end of the year (or before camp next?) is the cap hit 4m or 13? Because he isn't worth 13 and is barely worth 3 right now. So why in the world would you keep him? Do we really believe that we won't be having this exact same discussion next year about:

"Why the (insert freak injury/medical condition here) is a great reason he should not be expected to play in (insert important game here) after missing (insert new round of missed games here) and we really did not know about (insert player we lost to keep Harvin) being lost having such an effect on the team so you cannot blame him?"

At some point Harvin is what his record is,

13thMan

Reaction score
49ers":yin3m83n said:
Chris Carter was on ESPN talking about how catching the football without getting injured is an art form, and Percy constantly puts himself in bad situations. He referenced the same 2 plays that Percy got hit in, then showed similar scenarios with other WRs in the NFL and how they avoided the contact. Percy doesn't seem to possess those skills yet, and he better if he wants a long NFL life. That dude is talented as all get-out, and I was really worried about him on Sunday.

Thanks... that's interesting to hear. So CC is basically suggesting that those hits could've been avoided or at least minimized?

Are people in Ninerland happy about this or what's the general attitude, just curious?

This is a huge blow for our team IMO....

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":3m8p8oxz said:
Absurd to call into question Harvin's toughness over the concussion.

Moreover, I am almost certain the administration knew about his hip but still went through with the trade considering Harvin is turning 26 in 2014. I repeat - he will be 26 in 2014. Very young still. We'll be praising this move in 2020.

At the end of the day - we won 12.5 games without him this year and we have basically everyone from the first game minus Sidney Rice.

Let's nut up.

Rice played but he is obv injured now
Browner was out and didnt play just like this week. We actually had Thurmond as the #2 but Maxwell will prob do that this week
I am pretty sure Clemons didnt play or Irvin.

So from week two I think we are -Rice and +Clemons and Irvin plus Maxwell has alot more experience.

We only had 8 completions the whole game in week 2 so I dont see how our offense could be worse. Tate had 1 catch for 19 yards, Baldwin had the 1 huge catch for 51 yards, lynch had 3 catches for 37 yards although most of it came on 1 catch.

DrDix

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3gkj296c said:
DrDix":3gkj296c said:

Once again the lie comes out. IDK how you can label him injury prone. He got injured during the middle of the season last year and has been recovering from that and then his hip issue. I think he is finally all healed up. The concussion is a completely seperate thing. Its not his fault he got hit in the head illegally.

A concussion, an injury which can completely destroy your life, is a completely seperate incident and not an injury. OK. No, it is an injury, and it is related. Those hits were awful and there isn't a lot Harvin could do, however, it does not take away from the fact, that he is injury prone. He puts himself in bad positions. Harvin is a unique talent, he just gets hurt.

I think of the players we could have drafted instead of trading for Harvin, and wonder how much better we could be. Clearly the Seahawks showed this season, Harvin is NOT needed.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
G-Money":1070uav3 said:
Ironic that the 1st rounder we gave Minnesota for Harvin ends up being WR Cordarrelle Patterson. Turns out being the EXACT player we were hoping to get with Harvin. All Pro kick returner his first season, and a dual threat........rushing and receiving (and without the lucrative contract we gave Percy). Makes my stomach hurt....

ALL true and I LOVE Patterson, but Patterson is definately NOT the same as a WR as Harvin. I would say Harvins hands and elusiveness are better than Pattersons. They probably also have about the same speed.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":28b93ms9 said:
"When outside factors (randomness in the deck, or say, headhunting by the opposition) strongly influence eventual results, you cannot use those results as the sole criteria for evaluating the initial decision."

Except that was not the only game he didn't play in was it?

He clearly had a track record OR WE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN WARNED ABOUT THE TRACK RECORD AT THE TIME OF THE TRADE.

People just chose to make excuses for him. Maybe he is unlucky. I don't care. The fact is that he is paid millions of dollars to produce results on the football field and then people freak out when you (gasp) expect him to play in an actual football game. Or actually more than one in a row.

Pretending that this was all just an amazing surprise is willful ignorance.

Now the question comes up, if we cut him at the end of the year (or before camp next?) is the cap hit 4m or 13? Because he isn't worth 13 and is barely worth 3 right now. So why in the world would you keep him? Do we really believe that we won't be having this exact same discussion next year about:

"Why the (insert freak injury/medical condition here) is a great reason he should not be expected to play in (insert important game here) after missing (insert new round of missed games here) and we really did not know about (insert player we lost to keep Harvin) being lost having such an effect on the team so you cannot blame him?"

At some point Harvin is what his record is,

Can I throw on some pads and run full steam at your head?

Wonder if you'll be back to normal in 5 days.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
DrDix":34vb29bi said:
WilsonMVP":34vb29bi said:
DrDix":34vb29bi said:

A concussion, an injury which can completely destroy your life, is a completely seperate incident and not an injury. OK. No, it is an injury, and it is related. Those hits were awful and there isn't a lot Harvin could do, however, it does not take away from the fact, that he is injury prone. He puts himself in bad positions. Harvin is a unique talent, he just gets hurt.

I think of the players we could have drafted instead of trading for Harvin, and wonder how much better we could be. Clearly the Seahawks showed this season, Harvin is NOT needed.

Gotta trust this guy, he is a doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.