Pete needs to retire

m0ng0

Reaction score
Fair enough Mango.

Because if Seattle were to cut all the shit players mid season, they'd have to travel with about 20 guys if they did that.
I also disagree with you in regard to Geno Smith. I think he's a bright spot.
Just imagine if the offensive line was decent. I know they have 2 rookie tackles and they'll get better but Blythe is just a guy.

I also agree with you and have a hunch that PC will get another year . I don't think he'll get 2 if He has another underwhelming season like this one.

Remember "win forever" or " always compete"? 6 weeks ago people were making plans to go to the SB. How quickly things turn to complete shit.
That's lack of leadership and horrible preparation. Followed by weak adjustments mid game.

This is a poorly put together roster . Of
Course , not including the rookie class.
I see what you did there how clever Dorkulon, I think Pete is on the cusp of something magical again, not sure how or why but it seems like he has his mojo back...yeah it's a gut feeling but I really think they went back to the old days with this last draft class and knocked it out of the park. I think u get content after many years of success, but they are back to the old school ways, stick to the plan, let the formula work. I could be wrong but it has this feel to it.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The issue I have with Pete is we've been experiencing the same god damn issues for years now. The offense has reverted to looking like a Russell Wilson ran offense. Very simple routes that mostly attack deep, QB holding onto the ball for a long time, very simplistic running game, play call getting in at the final second, etc. On defense we've had a lot of the same issues for years now and it's been in the bottom third of the league more often than not.

The thing that gets me is Geno is not making calls at the LOS like he was earlier in the year. He's not active there any longer, it's like Russell Wilson is back.

I don't know how you lay these issues at anyone's feet but Pete's. The offensive line has never quite been in sync here. We seem to have the same issues over and over again no matter who our QB, OC, or DC is. It's frustrating as all hell to watch.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I see what you did there how clever Dorkulon, I think Pete is on the cusp of something magical again, not sure how or why but it seems like he has his mojo back...yeah it's a gut feeling but I really think they went back to the old days with this last draft class and knocked it out of the park. I think u get content after many years of success, but they are back to the old school ways, stick to the plan, let the formula work. I could be wrong but it has this feel to it.
I love it .

Merry Christmas 🎄

morgulon1

Reaction score
As a fan, I hope you're right. I am however leaning towards spin doctor as
This teams problems are consistent and
PC can't blame anyone as he's been in charge for the last 10 + years . As Fade has mentioned numerous times ,many would not get the opportunity to fail this poorly for so many years without paying the price. What got into them where they decided not to completely **** up their picks ? Why now ? Maybe a little heat from the Jody? I dont have the answer and as long as PC is here I hope he succeeds .

WmHBonney

Reaction score
My preference this off-season was to lose Pete and Russ. After seeing what we were able to do though, especially after that win streak, I definitely thought I undersold Pete.

But these last 5 games, every thing we had going right and it's like our coaches purposefully sabotaged it. Our offensive play calling that we opened up for Geno became inside handoffs galore.

We seemed to go back to a read-and-react technique on defense that had us thoroughly getting manhandled to start the year.

We went from 90+% playoff favorites to a losing record and it seems to be very much on coaching.
Agreed. What has changed from the win streak? Beating the Giants and Chargers were good wins. The play calling seems stale. With Tyler being out, why wouldn't we utilize our three great TEs far more often? The O-Line is horrible. The defense is unmentionable. Meanwhile, like someone else said, you have receivers half-assing their routes, you have penalties out the ass and I believe that Pete/Geno/somebody wasted 4 out of 6 timeouts this last game. This is not a recipe for success. I don't know what the answer is. This talent can win. They proved it. So what changed?

RiverDog

Reaction score
I was calling for Pete's head at the end of last season, but I've made a pledge to myself not to pass judgement on the question of his continued employment until after we're eliminated from playoff contention. I don't want to advocate firing him until I see what the final result of his latest edition is, so I'm keeping my powder dry.

I was glad that they traded Russell and thrilled with what we got in return, then was encouraged by our draft, that Pete finally dedicated some resources to the offensive line, and they hit a home run with a couple of selections. He also didn't trade away picks or trade down past good talent for more training camp fodder.

But on the flip side, the most disappointing aspect of Pete's tenure is the failure to rebuild our defense after the demise of the LOB. He's had 6 years to fix it, and it's been doing nothing but getting worse, and this from a man that is supposed to be one of the top defensive minds of his era.

Is his recent success in the draft and the Russell trade enough to offset this horrid defense he's been turning out over the last half dozen years? That'll be the question I'll be asking myself in another week or two.

Rainger

Reaction score
Can we all agree that we need new coaching. I love Pete, but enough is enough. I would say this even if we win out.
No we cant all agree. It doesn't even matter what he NEEDS to do, he isn't going anywhere so lets stop all the get rid of Pete threads and make the best of the next 3 to 4 years.

Last edited:

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
Yes, THANK YOU! Pete is under contract and is doing a great job considering all of the circumstances. He has promoted from within the organization by making Clint Hurtt the DC. He also believed in Geno with really great results. These are the kind of things that create loyalty within an organization.

The change to a 3-4 defense was, in my opinion, pre-mature. Our current defensive line is undersized and is much better suited for a 4-3. But, we have also been set-back by injuries to key players on both sides of the ball this season. We could possibly draft Jalen Carter or one of a nice group of Edge rushers. Maybe we should go free agent with a Linebacker.

The 2023 draft will bring a real wealth of talent to the team. I am actually more worried about John Schneider's impact than Pete Carrol.

morgulon1

Reaction score
No we cant all agree. It doesn't even matter what he NEEDS to do, he isn't going anywhere so lets stop all the get rid of Pete threads and make the best of the next 3 to 4 years.

Maybe you're right , yet I've seen many coaches get let go before their contracts were completed.

Rainger

Reaction score
Maybe you're right , yet I've seen many coaches get let go before their contracts were completed.
Yes you are right many have, (different organizational structures) but as I have said unless he only gets 2 or 3 wins over the next 2 years he is going NOWHERE.

So all the hand wringing isn't going to change the fact that Pete is here through 2025 UNLESS some thing happens to him.

JS can NOT fire PC only Jody can and I am confident she will give him 3 more years under his contract with the draft capital they now have to see what can be built.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Pete has exceeded all expectations for this year, even with the recent downturn. Basically, the rest of the NFL has figured out the Seahawks defense is undermanned and gashed us with the power running game. With a sub-par interior O-Line and no good running backs with Penny and K9 out, it's all been on Geno's shoulders and with no running game he's not always been able to make up the difference. We don't have the horses in both lines and are getting beaten up by bullies. To me it's a talent gap, not just physical, but "football IQ" gap as well, too many Cody Bartons and not enough KJ Wrights.

I'm partly hoping we lose out to NYJ and LAR so we get high draft picks from our own record as well as from Denver, to rebuild the lines on both sides of the ball, with players and athletes who can hold up against physical teams that have overpowered us, like the 49ers, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Saints, and Raiders. We especially have crap for DTs, LBs, C, and RG. The gashing we are getting is why PC/JS took that past flyer on a knucklehead like Malik McDowell. Because of all the past winning, we've picked later in the draft and haven't been able to bring in as many surefire talents as say, the 49ers, who drafted well those years when they sucked.

Should Sean McVay be fired for the Rams less-than-stellar season this year? Yeah, that would be ludicrous.

Pete does have the flaw of hanging onto overmatched coordinators and assistant coaches longer than he should. Clint Hurtt is the current poster child for that. However, because of the DL and LB talent deficiency, it's hard to know how much of the problem is Hurtt and how much is the Seahawks athletic talent deficiency on the defensive side. Remember when we had Irvin, KJ, BWags, Avril, Bennett, Kam, Sherm, Earl, and others, in their prime? Remember when pre-ACL Irvin was faster than most WRs? Could Hurtt do a better job with that type of athletic talent and football IQ available to him? I'd put money on it.

There is no path forward for the Hawks that has a higher probability of success than keeping, at a minimum, Pete, Waldron, Schneider and their best coaches around, and making up some of the talent deficiency in the next draft and via good FA signings. Now if PC/JS screw up this next draft, and make more bonehead trades (Harvin, J. Adams, J. Graham) all bets are off.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Pete has exceeded all expectations for this year, even with the recent downturn. Basically, the rest of the NFL has figured out the Seahawks defense is undermanned and gashed us with the power running game. With a sub-par interior O-Line and no good running backs with Penny and K9 out, it's all been on Geno's shoulders and with no running game he's not always been able to make up the difference. We don't have the horses in both lines and are getting beaten up by bullies. To me it's a talent gap, not just physical, but "football IQ" gap as well, too many Cody Bartons and not enough KJ Wrights.

I'm partly hoping we lose out to NYJ and LAR so we get high draft picks from our own record as well as from Denver, to rebuild the lines on both sides of the ball, with players and athletes who can hold up against physical teams that have overpowered us, like the 49ers, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Saints, and Raiders. We especially have crap for DTs, LBs, C, and RG. The gashing we are getting is why PC/JS took that past flyer on a knucklehead like Malik McDowell. Because of all the past winning, we've picked later in the draft and haven't been able to bring in as many surefire talents as say, the 49ers, who drafted well those years when they sucked.

Should Sean McVay be fired for the Rams less-than-stellar season this year? Yeah, that would be ludicrous.

Pete does have the flaw of hanging onto overmatched coordinators and assistant coaches longer than he should. Clint Hurtt is the current poster child for that. However, because of the DL and LB talent deficiency, it's hard to know how much of the problem is Hurtt and how much is the Seahawks athletic talent deficiency on the defensive side. Remember when we had Irvin, KJ, BWags, Avril, Bennett, Kam, Sherm, Earl, and others, in their prime? Remember when pre-ACL Irvin was faster than most WRs? Could Hurtt do a better job with that type of athletic talent and football IQ available to him? I'd put money on it.

There is no path forward for the Hawks that has a higher probability of success than keeping, at a minimum, Pete, Waldron, Schneider and their best coaches around, and making up some of the talent deficiency in the next draft and via good FA signings. Now if PC/JS screw up this next draft, and make more bonehead trades (Harvin, J. Adams, J. Graham) all bets are off.
It's been more than one less-than-stellar season. At this point if we miss the playoffs we will have missed it 3 out of the last 6 years. We have just a single win in the playoffs since 2017, that win was also against a backup QB, Luke McCown.

People forget, the roster is how it is right now because of piss poor drafting on the defensive side of the ball and wasting draft capital on guys like Jamal Adams. We paid franchise QB level draft capital for a safety that didn't exactly fit our scheme.

I think it is completely fair to question the direction this team is taking, especially with the huge nosedive over the last 8 games in addition to repeat problems showing themselves from year to year. In fact, second half dives in our seasons have been extremely common over that time period I mentioned.

Last edited:

Fade

Reaction score
Agreed. What has changed from the win streak? Beating the Giants and Chargers were good wins. The play calling seems stale. With Tyler being out, why wouldn't we utilize our three great TEs far more often? The O-Line is horrible. The defense is unmentionable. Meanwhile, like someone else said, you have receivers half-assing their routes, you have penalties out the ass and I believe that Pete/Geno/somebody wasted 4 out of 6 timeouts this last game. This is not a recipe for success. I don't know what the answer is. This talent can win. They proved it. So what changed?
Teams got film on them and adjusted.

Pete then reverted it back to what he is comfortable with.

The Seahawks are the easiest team to prepare for in the NFL.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
I would wager those that want Pete fired, probably felt the same way last year. I would also wager those same people would have jumped through rings of fire to hire Hackett before Denver did.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I would wager those that want Pete fired, probably felt the same way last year. I would also wager those same people would have jumped through rings of fire to hire Hackett before Denver did.
You sound pretty confident that firing Hackett was a good long-term decision. Maybe it was. Or maybe the Denver FO is already in complete desperation?

xray

Reaction score
I'd like to see Sean Payton take over as HC with the upcoming draft picks we have . I can dream can't I ? ;)

Donn2390

Reaction score
I'd like to see Sean Payton take over as HC with the upcoming draft picks we have . I can dream can't I ? ;)
Some dreams turn into nightmares, ask the Donkeys.
I believe Payton would have to be desperate to consider coming to the NW, not because it isn't a talented team with a great future, but he has stated emphatically that he would only consider coaching in a warm climate. Thus his stated interest so far are Cowboys, Arizona, last one slips my mind but too was located where the sun shines..
$$ can change a persons mind, but I certainly understand not wanting to live in a snow drift.
Also, he will most likely be in his second or third year with another team by the time the Hawk's job is open.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The issue I have with Pete is we've been experiencing the same god damn issues for years now. The offense has reverted to looking like a Russell Wilson ran offense. Very simple routes that mostly attack deep, QB holding onto the ball for a long time, very simplistic running game, play call getting in at the final second, etc. On defense we've had a lot of the same issues for years now and it's been in the bottom third of the league more often than not.

The thing that gets me is Geno is not making calls at the LOS like he was earlier in the year. He's not active there any longer, it's like Russell Wilson is back.

I don't know how you lay these issues at anyone's feet but Pete's. The offensive line has never quite been in sync here. We seem to have the same issues over and over again no matter who our QB, OC, or DC is. It's frustrating as all hell to watch.

I don't see any of this as a playcalling or scheme issue, I see the recent struggles as a personnel issue.

As in this offensive and defensive roster aren't even close to deep enough to be without key players like Walker, Lockett, Woods, Harris, etc.

It makes you one dimensional and teams know how and where to attack you.

So when everyone was healthy and the O-line hadn't hit the wall yet? You saw a cohesive productive offense. When the O-line got dinged up and two rookie tackles hit their rookie wall, and then key players like Lockett and Walker got hurt? It struggled.

Pete and Shane didn't all of a sudden forget how to scheme, gameplan and in-game adjust halfway through the season.