Pick #170, Tye Smith, CB, Towson

Blitzer88

Reaction score
This guy fits want the FO looks for in CBs so I have no problem with it. For those that are upset at the pick, was there some amazing prospect out there this late in the draft that you wanted?

dopeboy206

Reaction score
jake206":ieqdru42 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/594581426248421376[/tweet]

Not sure if this is a good thing for a CB. Makes me wonder if he getting that many tackles because the WR's he was covering were catching that much balls?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":19r75zd6 said:
This guy fits want the FO looks for in CBs so I have no problem with it. For those that are upset at the pick, was there some amazing prospect out there this late in the draft that you wanted?

Put an APB out, someone's kidnapped Blitzer and hijacked his account.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":h2dkz2cx said:
Natethegreat":h2dkz2cx said:
I get that we pick who we like and we have certain traits we look for and a belief we can make something out of them but every freaking year we way over reach to get a lot of these guys.
Easily could have had this guy with either sixth round pick if not our seventh.

I dont want this to come off like a personal attack especially since Ive heard this kind of talk a lot but do you realize how short-sighted this post makes you look? Think about the hundreds of hours P&J and the other guys in the organization spend on analyzing each potential draft selection and the market that exists for each players they wish to select. Now also just think of the inner workings of the draft, with GMs wheeling and dealing and always trying to avoid revealing who they are going to select. We as fans are the last to hear anything; we are the polar opposite of people in "the know". We simply hear what the media wants to tell us. So with the astronomically small amount of info you actually know, you going to try to bitch and say P&J should have waited to select there guy later? Really?

5. Jimmy Staten (32, 172) DT MiddleTennessee

I was perplexed by this fifth round pick last year as well. Massive reach on a guy they could have easily signed as a free agent. Didn't show much last year but maybe he shows something this year who knows. I just find it odd with how often we reach for guys. I am not at all saying I wish they weren't on our team just leaves me scratching my head why we use draft capital on them. Especially when we have two sixth round selections coming up and seventh as well.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
McGruff":1qvo3xvz said:
SalishHawkFan":1qvo3xvz said:
The guy was projected to go undrafted. There is no reason to think he was suddenly a hot commodity out of Towson. Wonder why the Hawks grabbed him now instead of later?

I had him on my perosnal seahawks specific board asa 4th rounder.hes a steal in the 5th.

so far my board has clark as an early 2nd, lockett as a 4th, poole as a 5th, Glowinski as a 2nd and Smith at a 4th.
And that's just it, key word in your post is "SEAHAWJS SPECIFIC BOARD" Which is why I care less about where a guy is rated "league wide" and more how they fit on the Hawks team.

What does it matter to take a "higher" rated player who's not a great fit for our team?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2kwq89li said:
therealjohncarlson":2kwq89li said:
Natethegreat":2kwq89li said:
I get that we pick who we like and we have certain traits we look for and a belief we can make something out of them but every freaking year we way over reach to get a lot of these guys.

I dont want this to come off like a personal attack especially since Ive heard this kind of talk a lot but do you realize how short-sighted this post makes you look? Think about the hundreds of hours P&J and the other guys in the organization spend on analyzing each potential draft selection and the market that exists for each players they wish to select. Now also just think of the inner workings of the draft, with GMs wheeling and dealing and always trying to avoid revealing who they are going to select. We as fans are the last to hear anything; we are the polar opposite of people in "the know". We simply hear what the media wants to tell us. So with the astronomically small amount of info you actually know, you going to try to bitch and say P&J should have waited to select there guy later? Really?

I was perplexed by this fifth round pick last year as well. Massive reach on a guy they could have easily signed as a free agent. Didn't show much last year but maybe he shows something this year who knows. I just find it odd with how often we reach for guys. I am not at all saying I wish they weren't on our team just leaves me scratching my head why we use draft capital on them. Especially when we have two sixth round selections coming up and seventh as well.
They could have easily signed him as an UDFA? You know this because you've talked to him? He was going to turn down other teams just to come to Seattle? That's some loyalty!

themunn

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3is86qu6 said:
The guys on NFL.com were pretty down on him for his size. Said even at 195 pounds, he was too thin, got carried around in his tackles.

But in another note, this is the fourth area of need everyone here said we needed to address, and low and behold, we did.

Funny that, Sherman is listed at 195 and is 3 inches taller

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3jqny5f7 said:
Natethegreat":3jqny5f7 said:
therealjohncarlson":3jqny5f7 said:
Natethegreat":3jqny5f7 said:

They could have easily signed him as an UDFA? You know this because you've talked to him? He was going to turn down other teams just to come to Seattle? That's some loyalty!
Did you even read my post?

themunn

Reaction score
titan3131":qsxtxzzq said:
CHECK THIS OUT OMFG

[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/zOuZGxFweG/[/instagram]

OMFG is right, that's awesome

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Natethegreat":19itpc5i said:
Hawkfan77":19itpc5i said:
Natethegreat":19itpc5i said:

Yeah I did, that's why I commented

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2eargfh9 said:
Natethegreat":2eargfh9 said:
Hawkfan77":2eargfh9 said:
Natethegreat":2eargfh9 said:

Yeah I did, that's why I commented
Then you have reading comprehension problems.

kobebryant

Reaction score
[/quote]

I was perplexed by this fifth round pick last year as well. Massive reach on a guy they could have easily signed as a free agent. Didn't show much last year but maybe he shows something this year who knows. I just find it odd with how often we reach for guys. I am not at all saying I wish they weren't on our team just leaves me scratching my head why we use draft capital on them. Especially when we have two sixth round selections coming up and seventh as well.[/quote]
They could have easily signed him as an UDFA? You know this because you've talked to him? He was going to turn down other teams just to come to Seattle? That's some loyalty![/quote]
Did you even read my post?[/quote]

You said they could have easily signed Jimmy Staten as a free agent. How do you know that? He would have been free to sign with any team that offered him.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2559lwrb said:
Hawkfan77":2559lwrb said:
Natethegreat":2559lwrb said:
therealjohncarlson":2559lwrb said:
Natethegreat said:

When someone is an UDFA you realize they can sign wherever they want right? How do you know they are reaching when you don't know where they were going to be picked if we passed on them?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Natethegreat":33hllbzu said:
Then you have reading comprehension problems.
"I was perplexed by this fifth round pick last year as well. Massive reach on a guy they could have easily signed as a free agent. "

Gotcha

Hawkfan77

Reaction score

I was perplexed by this fifth round pick last year as well. Massive reach on a guy they could have easily signed as a free agent. Didn't show much last year but maybe he shows something this year who knows. I just find it odd with how often we reach for guys. I am not at all saying I wish they weren't on our team just leaves me scratching my head why we use draft capital on them. Especially when we have two sixth round selections coming up and seventh as well.[/quote]
They could have easily signed him as an UDFA? You know this because you've talked to him? He was going to turn down other teams just to come to Seattle? That's some loyalty![/quote]
Did you even read my post?[/quote]

You said they could have easily signed Jimmy Staten as a free agent. How do you know that? He would have been free to sign with any team that offered him.[/quote]
Careful, he's about to say you don't know how to comprehend what you're reading

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I clearly stated we had two sixth round and a seventh we could have used. Meanwhile Michael Bennet is snapped up by Jacksonville a few picks later.

As far as Statten we were picking players off the Falcons practice squad rather than use him last year.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3k0fdf4j said:
I clearly stated we had two sixth round and a seventh we could have used. Meanwhile Michael Bennet is snapped up by Jacksonville a few picks later.
You clearly stated he was a guy they could have easily gotten as a free agent. Clearly

Blitzer88

Reaction score
KevinW_ESPN Kevin Weidl
Townson CB Tye Smith landed in a great spot in Seattle. Great fit in that system and has a chance to be one of the day 3 steals this year.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2tfrokww said:
Natethegreat":2tfrokww said:
You clearly stated he was a guy they could have easily gotten as a free agent. Clearly

Then he said it "leaves me scratching my head why we use draft capital on them".

Tical21

Reaction score
His tape looks about as good as a corner tape can get, especially when sitting in zone. Granted, his league is a bit subpar, but wow.

[youtube]v0xsKYLRvTE[/youtube]