Pick #27 Rashaad Penny RB

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":1agdt92d said:
seahawkfreak":1agdt92d said:
SanDiego49er":1agdt92d said:
austinslater25":1agdt92d said:
For what its worth a ton of guys had Penny as the #2 RB in this class. He also ranked first in many "advanced stat" categories.

He is at worst the 2nd best RB in this class. Only Barkley you could put ahead of him. He is no slouch of an athlete himself. He is hugely explosive, powerful, strong and stocky and massively productive. In addition he brings elite special teams ability. In fact he might even be the best one. He was way more productive than Barkley.

Thanks for your insights but the last sentence is a bit of an exaggeration.

He put up better #'s by a lot compared to Barkley. I wasn't really joking.

Barkley......1271 yards.......18 TD's.

Penny........2248 yards.......23 TD's.

2017 production.

Barkley......... 632 yards receiving...... 3 TD's

Penny........... 132 yards receiving...... 2TD's

Barkley......... 426 kick return yards...... 2 TD's.... LNG 98 yards

Penny .......... 521 kick return yards...... 2 TD's ..... LNG 100 yards

Barkley....... 2329 total yards....... 23 total TD's
Penny....... 2903 total yards......... 27 total TD's

I'd say production is pretty close especially considering Barkley played in the probably the top defensive division in the country. Just saying you were exaggerating a little.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2sijlsz3 said:
Such drastically different positions...

[youtube]GdpKSfNckbg[/youtube]

Well as others said they are a different guy and a different position and even a different size.

But...........

Upon watching that yes. LOL. They have some similarities. Penny is a no nonsense runner. He will run the straightest way to the endzone if possible. He does not dance and juke just to dance and juke. He would much rather run straight ahead and pick up maximum yards with only the cut backs necessary. Which he will use if need be. But he would much rather go straight with explosive speed which he has plenty of.

His endzone high stepping and clapping of the hands and celebration is similar to some things I have seen Penny do. Haha. I can kind of see some of the things you guys are seeing here.

They are not completely the same. But there are some similar open field running style preferences. I think we can say that.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3fr6quzl said:
SanDiego49er":3fr6quzl said:
seahawkfreak":3fr6quzl said:
SanDiego49er":3fr6quzl said:
He is at worst the 2nd best RB in this class. Only Barkley you could put ahead of him. He is no slouch of an athlete himself. He is hugely explosive, powerful, strong and stocky and massively productive. In addition he brings elite special teams ability. In fact he might even be the best one. He was way more productive than Barkley.

Thanks for your insights but the last sentence is a bit of an exaggeration.

He put up better #'s by a lot compared to Barkley. I wasn't really joking.

Barkley......1271 yards.......18 TD's.

Penny........2248 yards.......23 TD's.

2017 production.

Barkley......... 632 yards receiving...... 3 TD's

Penny........... 132 yards receiving...... 2TD's

Barkley......... 426 kick return yards...... 2 TD's.... LNG 98 yards

Penny .......... 521 kick return yards...... 2 TD's ..... LNG 100 yards

Barkley....... 2329 total yards....... 23 total TD's
Penny....... 2903 total yards......... 27 total TD's

I'd say production is pretty close especially considering Barkley played in the probably the top defensive division in the country. Just saying you were exaggerating a little.

The numbers you give me still show Penny with more production. So you want to play the level of competition game next. OK lets play.

Penny had...

~ Garbage O Line (not running behind the Penn State O Line by a long shot).

~ Noodle arm QB who can't throw (no passing threat).

~ Sub par WR's (no other threats to take the pressure off of him).

~ They began the season stacking 8 man boxes to stop Penny. Because it was all Penny. Not many other threats. They actually did ridiculous things like 9 men at the line to stop Penny. They still couldn't! He ran all over everybody.

~ He did the same thing to Stanford (Pac 12).

~ He did the same thing to Arizona State (Pac 12).

~ He did the same thing at the Senior Bowl against the supposed to be top competition in the country. They can't stop him either.

So IMO the less competition argument doesn't hold up. He did the same against top competition. You also can easily argue that having a really good O Line, functional QB, WR threats (which Penn State has lots and lots of including their star TE) helps open things up a lot for a RB.

You can further argue that NOT HAVING those advantages is a huge disadvantage for a RB. Especially if they are putting 8 and 9 man boxes up to stop him because there are no other threats. Plus he still ran all over them even with that. They could not stop him.

I'm not saying Barkley is bad BTW. I in fact like him a lot and think he is good or maybe even great. But Penny is just as good and may even have the better pro career.

I'm saying you could argue SOLIDLY that Penny had more production. Because he does.

:D

HawksSoc

Reaction score
I'd like to again point out the strength of competition thing goes two ways. As in you can't argue that his opposition was worse on average then in a big conference without also saying his teammates were worse on average then a big conference. Worse O Line to block for him, worse coaches to scheme him open, worse WR's to take attention away from him etc etc...

It goes both ways.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":2nxd847n said:
Northwest Seahawk":2nxd847n said:
hawknation2018":2nxd847n said:
Northwest Seahawk":2nxd847n said:
I agree Guice was good value at the bottom of the second round, I completely disagree with you that Seattle shouldn't have taken Penny .

I just don't think Penny's game translates as well to the NFL as Guice's. But reasonable minds can disagree.

The new post-McDowell policy was almost certainly a factor.

I'm going to agree with you to the extent Guice might be the better player when all is said and done . That said there were 3 backs I wanted Seattle to draft Guice Penny or Jones. Here's the thing you need to keep in mind . He's 5'11 220 is a three down back was lights out in college doesn't fumble .Played basically the same against the tougher schools. He catches the ball well out of the backfield ran a 4.46 . The thin legs thing I went back and looked at his combine I didn't see that they look normal to me. So I would finish with this if he plays up to his potential we have nothing at all to be concerned about.

Thin legs? LOL. WOW. Where are they pulling this nonsense from? He is 5'11" 220 lbs. He is very strong and stocky. I've seen him play every game of his career down here in San Diego. My guess is is the "internet experts" and "analysts" and so called self described Draft experts. I've watched every game of his career. He is not skinny. He is stocky and strong and will run over you. He mostly will run around you and run by you with long speed though. He is more of breakaway home run hitter. That's the type of player he is. But he doesn't have skinny legs. LOL. Please understand this is not an attack on you personally. It's likely more of the untrue things about Penny that people find on the internet and then post on boards. I'm not even saying it is your idea. Just the idea that you saw somewhere probably. It's just the super funny and NOT TRUE nonsense coming from the internet.

Let me put your fears to rest. He is strong and stocky. He will run you over and can be physical. But he is more long speed fast with great vision, moves, cut backs and will more likely run around you or just use speed to get past you and take it to the house.

Well the thin legs thing was mentioned on seahawks.net that's just how this place rolls sometimes. I can understand why you feel that's an absurd comment but that's seahawks.net for you and no it didn't come from me. There are some really serious draft people around here though so i checked it out just to see if it was a thing and i didn't see that at his combine. Here's the thing Guice is a really good player and i can appreciate why some might have thought he should have been the guy. The only reason he dropped was character issues if he had no red flags there he was very likely is the second RB off the board. Now you can disagree on Guice vs Penny but the consensus was Guice was the second best RB in the draft. He apparently got in an altercation with the the Eagles FO during his interview . There were some other things out ther as well i didn't bother to read them all. I had Guice and Penny as players i was happy with if Seattle took them. Those were my first 2 choices at RB then Jones.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":22p9hza2 said:
SanDiego49er":22p9hza2 said:
Northwest Seahawk":22p9hza2 said:
hawknation2018":22p9hza2 said:
I just don't think Penny's game translates as well to the NFL as Guice's. But reasonable minds can disagree.

I'm going to agree with you to the extent Guice might be the better player when all is said and done . That said there were 3 backs I wanted Seattle to draft Guice Penny or Jones. Here's the thing you need to keep in mind . He's 5'11 220 is a three down back was lights out in college doesn't fumble .Played basically the same against the tougher schools. He catches the ball well out of the backfield ran a 4.46 . The thin legs thing I went back and looked at his combine I didn't see that they look normal to me. So I would finish with this if he plays up to his potential we have nothing at all to be concerned about.

Thin legs? LOL. WOW. Where are they pulling this nonsense from? He is 5'11" 220 lbs. He is very strong and stocky. I've seen him play every game of his career down here in San Diego. My guess is is the "internet experts" and "analysts" and so called self described Draft experts. I've watched every game of his career. He is not skinny. He is stocky and strong and will run over you. He mostly will run around you and run by you with long speed though. He is more of breakaway home run hitter. That's the type of player he is. But he doesn't have skinny legs. LOL. Please understand this is not an attack on you personally. It's likely more of the untrue things about Penny that people find on the internet and then post on boards. I'm not even saying it is your idea. Just the idea that you saw somewhere probably. It's just the super funny and NOT TRUE nonsense coming from the internet.

Let me put your fears to rest. He is strong and stocky. He will run you over and can be physical. But he is more long speed fast with great vision, moves, cut backs and will more likely run around you or just use speed to get past you and take it to the house.

Well the thin legs thing was mentioned on seahawks.net that's just how this place rolls sometimes. I can understand why you feel that's an absurd comment but that's seahawks.net for you and no it didn't come from me. There are some really serious draft people around here though so i checked it out just to see if it was a thing and i didn't see that at his combine drills. Here's the thing Guice is a really good player and i can appreciate why some might have thought he should have been the guy. The only reason he dropped was character issues if he had no red flags there he was very likely is the second RB off the board. Now you can disagree on Guice vs Penny but the consensus was Guice was the second best RB in the draft. He apparently got in an altercation with the the Eagles FO during his interview . There were some other things out ther as well i didn't bother to read them all. I had Guice and Penny as players i was happy with if Seattle took them. Those were my first 2 choices at RB then Jones.

Penny is high cut. He's got long, slender legs and skinny thighs in comparison to the typical NFL RB. Maybe it's a good thing because it makes him as fast as a race horse. I'm just concerned about injuries, when combined with his upright running style.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2myx86n0 said:
Northwest Seahawk":2myx86n0 said:
SanDiego49er":2myx86n0 said:
Northwest Seahawk":2myx86n0 said:

Well the thin legs thing was mentioned on seahawks.net that's just how this place rolls sometimes. I can understand why you feel that's an absurd comment but that's seahawks.net for you and no it didn't come from me. There are some really serious draft people around here though so i checked it out just to see if it was a thing and i didn't see that at his combine drills. Here's the thing Guice is a really good player and i can appreciate why some might have thought he should have been the guy. The only reason he dropped was character issues if he had no red flags there he was very likely is the second RB off the board. Now you can disagree on Guice vs Penny but the consensus was Guice was the second best RB in the draft. He apparently got in an altercation with the the Eagles FO during his interview . There were some other things out ther as well i didn't bother to read them all. I had Guice and Penny as players i was happy with if Seattle took them. Those were my first 2 choices at RB then Jones.

Penny is high cut. He's got long, slender legs and skinny thighs in comparison to the typical NFL RB. Maybe it's a good thing because it makes him as fast as a race horse. I'm just concerned about injuries, when combined with his upright running style.

And i think that's a major stretch and nitpicky. Were going to have to agree to disagree on that one bro. I could make the same argument about Jones and it would be just as ridiculous.

mrt144

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":3q1xlnu4 said:
Sgt. Largent":3q1xlnu4 said:
I'm OK with the pick, although I would have preferred Hernandez as a sure fire road grating guard to finally solidify this terrible line. Could plug that dude right in.

Only problem I have with Penny is I'm already hearing Pete saying he's going to share carries and be on special teams. I guess that's fine? But if you're drafting a RB in the first round, he better be your 25 carriers a game bell cow back.

I feel like you can get a sharing carries RB/kick returner later in the draft.

That's exactly what he is. A bell cow back with 30 + carries a game. Plus huge special teams value and mostly major injury free. He is an absolutely great pick for you.

If he's getting 30 carries a game, then I'm doubtful he's doing special teams return. That's a lot of work per game. A lot.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":s8ukxxe4 said:
hawknation2018":s8ukxxe4 said:
Northwest Seahawk":s8ukxxe4 said:
SanDiego49er":s8ukxxe4 said:

And i think that's a major stretch and nitpicky. Were going to have to agree to disagree on that one bro.

Maybe, we'll see. It's always bothered me about him. And the fact that he hasn't performed well against good run defenses, which is the typical defense in the NFL.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
mrt144":1ezlqzth said:
SanDiego49er":1ezlqzth said:
Sgt. Largent":1ezlqzth said:
I'm OK with the pick, although I would have preferred Hernandez as a sure fire road grating guard to finally solidify this terrible line. Could plug that dude right in.

Only problem I have with Penny is I'm already hearing Pete saying he's going to share carries and be on special teams. I guess that's fine? But if you're drafting a RB in the first round, he better be your 25 carriers a game bell cow back.

That's exactly what he is. A bell cow back with 30 + carries a game. Plus huge special teams value and mostly major injury free. He is an absolutely great pick for you.

If he's getting 30 carries a game, then I'm doubtful he's doing special teams return. That's a lot of work per game. A lot.

I've already heard people say it's unlikely he plays special teams I guess we'll see . If he turns out to be as good as we hope he will be they won't risk an injury on special teams. Pete says a lot of things after a draft about how players will be used then changed in camp and preseason.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":260d67da said:
mrt144":260d67da said:
SanDiego49er":260d67da said:
Sgt. Largent":260d67da said:

I've already heard people say it's unlikely he plays special teams I guess we'll see . If he turns out to be as good as we hope he will be they won't risk an injury on special teams. Pete says a lot of things after a draft about how players will be used then changed in camp and preseason.

Yeah, Carroll and Schneider were pretty adamant and excited about getting him kick return reps. Sounds like he would split reps with Lockett. A couple returns a game probably isn't a big deal, unless he gets hurt.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3ksfcg61 said:
Northwest Seahawk":3ksfcg61 said:
SanDiego49er":3ksfcg61 said:
Northwest Seahawk":3ksfcg61 said:

Penny is NOT high cut. He DOES NOT have long slender legs or skinny thighs. I'm not sure where you are getting your misinformation from. There is so much BS about Penny on the internet it's incredible. Stop looking at those so called "expert" sites and "analyst" sites. These are the same sites that think they know something about him and thought he would be drafted much later. They have no idea what they are talking about. They don't watch San Diego State. They don't get many nationally televised games. He's 5'11" 220 lbs. He's not 6'3" 190 lbs. He has strong stocky legs. I've gone to every single game. I have season tickets. Even by the eyeball test his legs are strong and stocky and they are powerful too. He does not have this problem.

As far as upright running style they said the same thing about Eric Dickerson and Adrian Peterson. They run upright all the way to the endzone. The same thing Penny will do. He knows to lower his pad level when the contact comes and he does do that. He will run you over when the contact and tacklers come. He will strategically get lower when he has to in a pile or in a crowd. He does not run upright all the time. In the open field with speed he will run a bit more upright because he has the speed to get past you. He will get past you and not get touched or tackled sometimes and chew up as many yards as possible as fast as possible.

mrt144

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":12fod3kt said:
mrt144":12fod3kt said:
SanDiego49er":12fod3kt said:
Sgt. Largent":12fod3kt said:

So probably more like 20 carries per game plus some returning duties.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":8yseqxey said:
SanDiego49er":8yseqxey said:
Northwest Seahawk":8yseqxey said:
hawknation2018":8yseqxey said:

Well the thin legs thing was mentioned on seahawks.net that's just how this place rolls sometimes. I can understand why you feel that's an absurd comment but that's seahawks.net for you and no it didn't come from me. There are some really serious draft people around here though so i checked it out just to see if it was a thing and i didn't see that at his combine. Here's the thing Guice is a really good player and i can appreciate why some might have thought he should have been the guy. The only reason he dropped was character issues if he had no red flags there he was very likely is the second RB off the board. Now you can disagree on Guice vs Penny but the consensus was Guice was the second best RB in the draft. He apparently got in an altercation with the the Eagles FO during his interview . There were some other things out ther as well i didn't bother to read them all. I had Guice and Penny as players i was happy with if Seattle took them. Those were my first 2 choices at RB then Jones.

It's not a thing and it's totally absurd. I'm glad you agree.

He's the 2nd best RB in this draft by far. It's not close. Guice has no claim to being better than Penny by any measurement or metric at all. You are telling me a guy who runs slower, has way less production, way less special teams value is better? Based on what? So called "expert sites" again. Because we are getting nationally televised games at LSU. Plus not getting nationally televised games at San Diego State. Penny is better period. You could argue he may have a better career than Barkley.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":26rx0ua1 said:
Northwest Seahawk":26rx0ua1 said:
hawknation2018":26rx0ua1 said:
Northwest Seahawk":26rx0ua1 said:

And i think that's a major stretch and nitpicky. Were going to have to agree to disagree on that one bro.

Maybe, we'll see. It's always bothered me about him. And the fact that he hasn't performed well against good run defenses, which is the typical defense in the NFL.

Like i said i could make the same arguement against Jones and it would be just as rediculous . 216 at ASU and Penny is really all they had . You have concerns about the pick there's always going to be concerns but are they justifiable i'm not sold on your arguements. You may be right you could be wrong we'll see. I refuse to be negative about a really good prospect like Penny until I see them play. I'm never shy about ripping a player, for instance i'm far more concerned about our Center than Penny he gave up way to much ground at the point attack last year . Who's going to play RT and will he be a liability. These are much more concerning to me than our rookie RB.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
mrt144":1rj512m4 said:
SanDiego49er":1rj512m4 said:
Sgt. Largent":1rj512m4 said:

It's up to you how you use him. He had 7 kick returns for a TD. Which is tied for an FBS record. It is all the more impressive when you consider they didn't even kick to him. They were terrified to kick off to him. He would have 15 kick return TD's if they actually did kick off to him. He has awesome, awesome return value.

Now it's up to Pete Carroll how to use that. Maybe he will just use it the playoffs only where he will be an extra special weapon on special teams. You don't want to wear him out or get him hurt. So maybe you do it once in a while on special occasions. As the need arises in tight games where you need an extra boost.

I'm just saying he is GREAT at it and I mean GREAT! Not good. So it's up to your coaching staff how you use that, how often, playoffs only, once in a while regular season, in unique regular season games and how many carries per game at RB. They have to work all that out. But it's an awesome problem to have IMO to have that ability sitting there if you need it and when you need it.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":m4ua4klt said:
Northwest Seahawk":m4ua4klt said:
SanDiego49er":m4ua4klt said:
Northwest Seahawk":m4ua4klt said:

He's the 2nd best RB in this draft by far. It's not close. Guice has no claim to being better than Penny by any measurement or metric at all. You are telling me a guy who runs slower, has way less production, way less special teams value is better? Based on what? So called "expert sites" again. Because we are getting nationally televised games at LSU. Plus not getting nationally televised games at San Diego State. Penny is better period. You could argue he may have a better career than Barkley.

When you say he's the seond best RB in the draft by far it's not close you lose credibility, but i hope your right.

toffee

Reaction score
MrThortan":3acaiclt said:
From reading around, it seems widely accepted among pundits that this was the worst pick in the first round :0190l:

Hopefully he will be worth every Penny in the long run :p

The pundits’ opinions were based on:

1. He wasn’t worthy of first round, he will be available in later rounds:
He would have taken by the Patriots if we didn’t so that makes two premiere teams saying he is worthy of first round, and he wouldn’t be available in round 2.

2. He wasn’t the second best RB in this draft:
This is very debatable, Penny certainly has the best stat and quite a few mock drafts had him as second best RB in this draft.

3. Hawks need more help on OL then RB:
Again debatable as we don’t have a staple of proven RBs. Carson may not be 100% (if ever after the major injury) and he isn’t proven anyways. Davis? Nah. Then we have Mr. glass and a third down back.

Besides, a good back can make a so so OL look better, a good back will taken pressure off Russ.

Here, as a 12, I endorse Pete’s logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toffee

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":2zuxju0l said:
NFSeahawks628":2zuxju0l said:
Blitzer88":2zuxju0l said:
hawknation2018":2zuxju0l said:
Probably the Browns, which would jive with the rumor that they wanted to take him at No. 33.

So whether this makes you feel better about the pick probably depends on whether you trust the Browns' player evaluation.

Well if you are a fan of Scott McLaughlin then you should be a fan of this as he now works for the Browns.

If the Browns were the team that called Seattle after they picked, then it just proves they have no idea how to draft.

The Browns first two picks sucked. They should have drafted Barkley. Now they only have Guice or Chubb to pick from, both of which are underwhelming imo.

According to Clayton NE were taking Penny if we didn't . Now even if you believe they had Sony rated higher and I do not and weren't going to take Rashaad I'd still take Penny over Sony everytime .

According some experts on this forum, John lied about another team called to trade for Penny after he was drafted, those expert might claim that Clayton lied about NE were taking Penny too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3ts7s6pj said:
SanDiego49er":3ts7s6pj said:
Northwest Seahawk":3ts7s6pj said:
SanDiego49er":3ts7s6pj said:

When you say he's the seond best RB in the draft by far it's not close you lose credibility, but i hope your right.

Based on what? His production is off the charts. As far as a size, speed, power prospect only Barkley can claim to be faster. Nobody else is the physical specimen that Penny is in this draft. His return abilities are far better than anybody in the class. His production was far better than anybody in the class. He was so good at receiving the ball they thought at one time of putting him at WR at San Diego State but decided his RB value was higher. There is no question he is the 2nd best RB in the class. He may have a better career than Barkley.

The so called self described "draft experts" are arm chair guys who watch a few nationally televised games and think they know something. Guess what LSU, Georgia and USC get nationally televised games. San Deigo State Aztecs don't. They have no idea what Penny is and have never even seen him play. He's fast, explosive, powerful, long speed, quick cuts and moves, excellent vision, catches really well and returns out of this world. He is an all world return man. Penny is awesome. They just haven't seen him play and lack familiarity with him. The same thing many people on here have. It's the same exact problem.